Newton or Bradford?

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Newton or Bradford?

Postby hosler427 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:38 pm

standard_variance wrote:
To put Bradford in the same category as Freeman and Stafford I think is a bit ridiculous....
In one season, Bradford has played more games than Stafford has in 2 seasons (plus week 1). I think Stafford needs to stay healthy for a season before he gets mentioned any category with Freeman and Bradford. I agree that Bradford needs WR help (a true #1) but the skill and intangibles are there.

And to the person that mentioned all of Bradford's checkdowns...Many of those were necessary with the ridiculously bad WRs he had to work with once Clayton went down. People were hyping up Amendola like crazy this offseason but the guy couldn't get any yards after the catch so the low yards per attempt weren't helped by his WR play AT ALL. He didn't even have a decent TE to throw to. The guy performed incredibly well under the circumstances.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:45 pm

PS....including Newton in this conversation is premature and insane like many others have stated.

Team Canada
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Team Canada » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:31 pm

andrewfroboy wrote:If its so easy without game films why don't other rookie QBs put up these numbers?
*cough* Matt Flynn *cough*
Don't bet against Nightmarion...he made me look like a fool :)

10 team $250 cap, 0.5 ppr- QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, flex
QB- Brady ($18/2yrs),Ponder ($5/1yr)
RB- CJ ($25/3yrs), AP($25/2yrs), Spiller ($15/2yrs), Martin ($10/4yrs), L.James($2/4yrs)
WR- Dem Thomas ($41/1yr), Nicks ($20/3yrs), Fitzgerald ($20/2yrs), Tampa Mike ($18/2yrs), Jeffery ($6/3yrs), V.Brown($5/1yr)
TE- Graham ($15/2yrs), Brandon Myers ($1/1yr), Dennis Pitta ($1/1yr)
Picks- 1.1, 1.2, 1.4, 1.5, 1.9, 2.9

12 team ppr, QB, RB, WR, TE, 4 flexes
QB- Arod, Fitz, Gabbert
RB- Lynch, Spiller, Ridley, Hunter, Gerhart, Goodson, Benson
WR- Fitz, White, Britt, Maclin, Vjax, Little, Jean, Jenkins, Shipley, Easley, Edelman, Gettis, A.Holmes, Lockette, Morgan, R.Wallace
TE- V.Davis, Stocker, J.Thomas, DJ Williams

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:30 pm

For the record I don't think the question is ridiculous. That's how we learn.

The real key here is simple: Bradford's value as a dynasty player is based one full NFL season besides his larger body of work in college (complete dominance as a passer for multiple seasons). Newton's value is based on one great college season as an all-purpose QB and ONE NFL GAME. There is just much more to point to Bradford being great as a pure passer than Newton.

400-yard games do hold a tiny extra bit of weight with me it's impressive for any passer who hasn't done it (see: Henne, Chad), but the principle of 'Small Sample Size' applies here bigtime. Newton has played one game. That's not enough to vault him past Bradford, who also was a #1 overall pick. Newton has faced one NFL team - one NFL defense - with two rookie corners and overall not a great defense by any means. That is not enough to trump the body of work that Bradford has put together.

I want to acknowledge a great point above about how Bradford performed basically nothing at WR or TE in his rookie season. It was not a great season, but Bradford had nothing like a Steve Smith to throw to last year. Bradford himself has a long way to go before he's mentioned with the Rivers' and Brady's of the world but right now he's far ahead of Newton in value and development as a passer.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

andrewfroboy
Captain
Captain

Postby andrewfroboy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:32 am

I don't think Newton is anywhere near Bradford right now, but I think to write Newton off and discount one great game isn't fair either, Newton can be behind Bradford, but that doens't mean he's not a great prospect, I will still take his ceiling over any of the other rookie QBs right now
10 Team PPR, 6 point QB TD pass, Starts 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2RB/WR/TE, 1K, 1D/ST
QB: Cam Newton, Matt Ryan, Josh Freeman, Carson Palmer
RB: Jamaal Charles, Maurice Jones-Drew, Chris Johnson, Jahvid Best, Jonathan Stewart, DeAngelo Williams, Taiwan Jones
WR: AJ Green, Julio Jones, Greg Little, Marques Colston, Michael Crabtree, Antonio Brown, Leonard Hankerson, Damian Williams, Pierre Garçon
TE: Jimmy Graham, Jermichael Finley, Aaron Hernandez
K: Mason Crosby
D/ST: Lions
2012: 3 3 4

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:59 am

andrewfroboy wrote:I don't think Newton is anywhere near Bradford right now, but I think to write Newton off and discount one great game isn't fair either, Newton can be behind Bradford, but that doens't mean he's not a great prospect, I will still take his ceiling over any of the other rookie QBs right now

Not writing him off, not at all. Cam Newton is a great prospects with incredible physical abilities. And the last game certainly would make me feel better as his owner(I dont have him in any of my leagues). Its just that I really dont feel he should be compared to Bardford just yet. Well maybe you can compare them, but I think its nowhere near of coming to the conclusion that Bradford shouldn´t be clearly rated ahead of Newton.
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11

andrewfroboy
Captain
Captain

Postby andrewfroboy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:17 am

I think whatever the case, this week against Green Bay will tell the story on Newton, if he puts up 300+ yards and 2 TDs I think he deserves to enter the conversation with Bradford
10 Team PPR, 6 point QB TD pass, Starts 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2RB/WR/TE, 1K, 1D/ST
RB: Jamaal Charles, Maurice Jones-Drew, Chris Johnson, Jahvid Best, Jonathan Stewart, DeAngelo Williams, Taiwan Jones
WR: AJ Green, Julio Jones, Greg Little, Marques Colston, Michael Crabtree, Antonio Brown, Leonard Hankerson, Damian Williams, Pierre Garçon

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:23 am

andrewfroboy wrote:I think whatever the case, this week against Green Bay will tell the story on Newton, if he puts up 300+ yards and 2 TDs I think he deserves to enter the conversation with Bradford
Small Sample Size.

He could throw for 500 yards this week and it wouldn't change a thing.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

andrewfroboy
Captain
Captain

Postby andrewfroboy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:10 am

Disagree, if he puts up 30 fantasy points again I think you could seriously consider him over Bradford, so much upside

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:36 am

andrewfroboy wrote:Disagree, if he puts up 30 fantasy points again I think you could seriously consider him over Bradford, so much upside
Yes, you could. I wouldn't. ;)

I'm not willing to throw out 99% of the data to focus on 1% of it and make a decision based on that %1. It's just not sound logic or reasoning. You can move people in your rankings all you want - all I"m saying is that my opinion of Newton vs. Bradford in dynasty wont' be based on (an extremely) small sample size, which is the folly of many. 8-)

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:49 am

Misfit74 wrote:
andrewfroboy wrote:Disagree, if he puts up 30 fantasy points again I think you could seriously consider him over Bradford, so much upside
Yes, you could. I wouldn't. ;)

I'm not willing to throw out 99% of the data to focus on 1% of it and make a decision based on that %1. It's just not sound logic or reasoning. You can move people in your rankings all you want - all I"m saying is that my opinion of Newton vs. Bradford in dynasty wont' be based on (an extremely) small sample size, which is the folly of many. 8-)
Couldn't agree more Allen. That is the reason why I think the question is ridiculous...the sample size doesn't warrant it.

andrewfroboy
Captain
Captain

Postby andrewfroboy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:59 am

As a rookie who has won at every level and looked incredibly poised in week one, if he comes out and torches Green Bay's defense for 30 fantasy points and again looks the part I think he deserves to be in the conversation with Bradford, I think that is incredibly unlikely, but if it were to happen I think he merits consideration

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:22 pm

Certainly Bradford is worth more in trade right now, although I don't think its a terrible idea if someone made a move like trading Bradford for Cam Newton AND something else like a 1st rounder or something, as Cam could possibly end up being the better long term option. Also, Bradford does have a bit of an injury history to consider.
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

49ersFaithful80
All Pro
All Pro

Postby 49ersFaithful80 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:44 pm

I still don't understand why people are talking about Bradford like he's peyton manning. you people do realize that the likes of Tim Tebow performed much better in his 3 starts last year than Bradford did (higher passer rating and WAYYYYYYYYYY higher YPA). I watched Bradford a good amount last year, and what I got out of it was that he has a lot of talent but he literally checked the ball down on almost every single pass attempt (putrid 5.95 YPA)

Bradford = overrated but still a better prospect than Cam

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:11 pm

49ersFaithful80 wrote:I still don't understand why people are talking about Bradford like he's peyton manning. you people do realize that the likes of Tim Tebow performed much better in his 3 starts last year than Bradford did (higher passer rating and WAYYYYYYYYYY higher YPA). I watched Bradford a good amount last year, and what I got out of it was that he has a lot of talent but he literally checked the ball down on almost every single pass attempt (putrid 5.95 YPA)

Bradford = overrated but still a better prospect than Cam
Stats are one thing and numbers can say anything. You say you watched Bradford, but did you watch Tebow? If you watched Tebow and broke down the two QB's, you wouldn't be making any comparisons between Tebow and Bradford. Bradford's passing options last year were horrible. Tebow probably couldn't have completed 30% of his passes to Bradford's below average options at WR's. S.Bradford had a great year for a rookie QB.