Newton or Bradford?

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Re: Newton or Bradford?

Postby Misfit74 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:20 pm

Call me convinced, for the most part. Newton is a greater fantasy asset now than Bradford and I don't expect that to change anytime soon. What a beast. My expectations for Newton have already been shattered.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

standard_variance
Starter
Starter

Postby standard_variance » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:26 pm

stay ahead of the curve my friends :thumbup:
"We must be keenly alive to the defects of our own faith also, yet not leave it on that account, but try to overcome those defects." -Ghandi

There is a difference between argument, and dogmatic assertion. Argument leaves room for change, and improvement, dogma only leaves room for acceptance.

In honor of Gino - "Strong Fantasy Quarterbacks are the cornerstone to any successful Dynasty team"

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Postby Water Buffalo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:30 pm

Heh yeah, I think everyone's expectations have been shattered. Not only would I trade Bradford for Newton + a 2nd round pick as was discussed earlier, I'd do it straight up. In fact, I'd probably throw in a 2nd round pick WITH Bradford for Newton at this point. I still like Bradford as a prospect, and I realize this is dynasty and both players are very very young. But the Rams are an ugly ugly mess. Bradford has been running for his life all season long, he looks shaken a bit, and his accuracy is suffering a lot. Watching him play, he still has the skills, but I'm not sure when those skills will be realized at this point.

Newton though, he's being given full control of the offense, not being held back at all. He's not reluctant to chuck it down field, he's got a solid O-line, he's being used as a goal line back too, and to top it off the Panthers D is somewhat lackluster meaning they are often down and needing to rack up huge yardage and points to try to win games. He's got the skills to be a running QB, but the impressive part is that he isn't just running to set up the pass or out of desperation. He's a pass first QB that has the skills of a run first QB on top of it. There's really nothing not to like.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:37 pm

It certainly helps Cam's success having the Panthers' elite offensive line, two elite RBs, two excellent pass-catching TEs, and Steve Smith...
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Postby Water Buffalo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:44 pm

Misfit74 wrote:It certainly helps Cam's success having the Panthers' elite offensive line, two elite RBs, two excellent pass-catching TEs, and Steve Smith...
This is true, but you can say this sort of thing about any number of players in the NFL. Situation matters, whether we want to believe it or not. Bradford's situation sucks just about as bad as it could, Newton's does not.

Would Arian Foster be a beast running behind the Steelers O-Line, without the threat of Shaub/AJ?

Would Welker be an absolute PPR stud with Sanchez throwing him the ball?

There are some players that transcend situation I'd say, guys like Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning (not injured) - these are the types of players that I think would be successful no matter where they played. I don't think Bradford is in this same category, and I don't think Newton is there yet. Thus, I must take situation into account.

There's a lot of fantasy goodness ahead for Newton.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:55 pm

Water Buffalo wrote:
Misfit74 wrote:It certainly helps Cam's success having the Panthers' elite offensive line, two elite RBs, two excellent pass-catching TEs, and Steve Smith...
This is true, but you can say this sort of thing about any number of players in the NFL. Situation matters, whether we want to believe it or not. Bradford's situation sucks just about as bad as it could, Newton's does not.

Would Arian Foster be a beast running behind the Steelers O-Line, without the threat of Shaub/AJ?

Would Welker be an absolute PPR stud with Sanchez throwing him the ball?

There are some players that transcend situation I'd say, guys like Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning (not injured) - these are the types of players that I think would be successful no matter where they played. I don't think Bradford is in this same category, and I don't think Newton is there yet. Thus, I must take situation into account.

There's a lot of fantasy goodness ahead for Newton.
Absolutely. Situation does matter and QBs in particular rely on a lot of factors to be successful. Bradford has almost none of the tools Cam does and it's really too bad. The same factors are combining against Gabbert right now, as besides MJD he has almost nothing to write home about offensively. I think if owners are patient enough, Bradford and Gabbert can rise into the upper-middle tiers of QBs in terms of fantasy assets. Right now, their respective teams need to get with the program similar to what, along with CAR, ATL and DET did with their young signal-callers: surround them with weapons and set them up to succeed.

standard_variance
Starter
Starter

Postby standard_variance » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:13 pm

Misfit74 wrote:
Water Buffalo wrote:

But is that not what people have been saying this entire time? :think: The system around a QB MATTERS in fantasy. You cant just say "Bradford has better intangibles and thats why I think he is a better fantasy option"....you have to look at the situation, and the physical ability, as well as intangibles to figure out the range of upside. People who were on the Bradford bandwagon ignored that he had no weapons, and kept hanging onto the idea that Newton was less proven....and now it has gotten to the point where you can no longer ignore, and deny that Bradfords situation SUCKS...the Rams were over-hyped...and that Bradford was not as proven as you thought...plain and simple. Shoddy, and bias logic.
"We must be keenly alive to the defects of our own faith also, yet not leave it on that account, but try to overcome those defects." -Ghandi

There is a difference between argument, and dogmatic assertion. Argument leaves room for change, and improvement, dogma only leaves room for acceptance.

In honor of Gino - "Strong Fantasy Quarterbacks are the cornerstone to any successful Dynasty team"

RobertBobson
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby RobertBobson » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:01 pm

knuckles50 wrote:I think it is clear at this point that the only thing that was ridiculous is that I got flamed for such a "ridiculous" post.
lol yes. It was probably premature, but certainly at this point I would easily trade bradford for newton straight up. I offered freeman and sjax for newton and hunter in a league and got laughed at. I have no idea what newton's value is at this point.
12 team 1 ppr 6 pt all tds
1 qb 2 rb 2 wr 1 rb/wr 1 te 1k
qb Ryan, Vick, nassib, Barkley
RB DMC, Gore, Sporles, Stacy, Hillman, Moreno,
WR aj green,welker, Britt, Blackmon, DeMary
TE Davis, Cook, Housler, Allen

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:51 pm

standard_variance wrote:
Misfit74 wrote:
Water Buffalo wrote:

But is that not what people have been saying this entire time? :think: The system around a QB MATTERS in fantasy. You cant just say "Bradford has better intangibles and thats why I think he is a better fantasy option"....you have to look at the situation, and the physical ability, as well as intangibles to figure out the range of upside. People who were on the Bradford bandwagon ignored that he had no weapons, and kept hanging onto the idea that Newton was less proven....and now it has gotten to the point where you can no longer ignore, and deny that Bradfords situation SUCKS...the Rams were over-hyped...and that Bradford was not as proven as you thought...plain and simple. Shoddy, and bias logic.
Yes, and also important is the context of Dynasty. QBs have lengthy careers. Situations can change fairly quick. Bradford won't be without weapons forever and Cam may not always have Steve Smith or other aids he's enjoying now. RIGHT NOW Cam is in the driver's seat. LONG-TERM anything can happen...

andrewfroboy
Captain
Captain

Postby andrewfroboy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:57 am

A few more weeks of games and I think if someone tried to offer Bradford and a 1st for Newton they would be laughed at, Cam certainly looks like the real deal
10 Team PPR, 6 point QB TD pass, Starts 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2RB/WR/TE, 1K, 1D/ST
QB: Cam Newton, Matt Ryan, Josh Freeman, Carson Palmer
RB: Jamaal Charles, Maurice Jones-Drew, Chris Johnson, Jahvid Best, Jonathan Stewart, DeAngelo Williams, Taiwan Jones
WR: AJ Green, Julio Jones, Greg Little, Marques Colston, Michael Crabtree, Antonio Brown, Leonard Hankerson, Damian Williams, Pierre Garçon
TE: Jimmy Graham, Jermichael Finley, Aaron Hernandez
K: Mason Crosby
D/ST: Lions
2012: 3 3 4

RobertBobson
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby RobertBobson » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:16 am

andrewfroboy wrote:A few more weeks of games and I think if someone tried to offer Bradford and a 1st for Newton they would be laughed at, Cam certainly looks like the real deal

I think that could get laughed at right now.
12 team 1 ppr 6 pt all tds
1 qb 2 rb 2 wr 1 rb/wr 1 te 1k
qb Ryan, Vick, nassib, Barkley
RB DMC, Gore, Sporles, Stacy, Hillman, Moreno,
WR aj green,welker, Britt, Blackmon, DeMary
TE Davis, Cook, Housler, Allen

andrewfroboy
Captain
Captain

Postby andrewfroboy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:27 am

bad grammar, i meant that now after a few more weeks of seeing games that trade is laughable
10 Team PPR, 6 point QB TD pass, Starts 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2RB/WR/TE, 1K, 1D/ST
RB: Jamaal Charles, Maurice Jones-Drew, Chris Johnson, Jahvid Best, Jonathan Stewart, DeAngelo Williams, Taiwan Jones
WR: AJ Green, Julio Jones, Greg Little, Marques Colston, Michael Crabtree, Antonio Brown, Leonard Hankerson, Damian Williams, Pierre Garçon

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:49 pm

Bradford is the #33 scoring QB in my league right now.

Um, last time I checked there were only 32 NFL teams.

:thumbdown:
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

wkstyle
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby wkstyle » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:42 am

Newton has become an absolute monster which is irritating given the RB situation in Carolina. I think its about time to buy low on Bradford though. They will get him at least 1 more weapon in the draft and should look much improved next year.
Dynasty League info: 12 Teams, .5 PPR, 6pt tds, return yds - Start: QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, RB/WR, TE, K, D

QB: R. Fitzpatrick, J. Flacco, B. Gabbert
RB: MJD, F. Jones, D. Williams, T. Hightower, R. Helu, R. Williams, P. Tanner, Vereen
WR: C. Johnson, D. Bryant, R. Wayne, J. Jones (Atl), T. Smith (Bal), J. Baldwin, J. Cribbs, J. Simpson, P. Parker
TE: K. Winslow, J. Cook
D: Buf

andrewfroboy
Captain
Captain

Postby andrewfroboy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:54 am

I think the new question becomes Newton or Luck