General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Rondalebaby
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Trey Sermon

Postby Rondalebaby » Sat May 29, 2021 4:19 pm

These Sermon comps remind me of this from the combine lol

Film based player comps are so pointless
Last edited by Rondalebaby on Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mephistopheles
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mephistopheles » Sat May 29, 2021 4:29 pm

Ice wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:40 pm Hard to say what Sermon will be but if his last 3 games at Ohio State not including the championship which he got hurt are going to be the new norm then he will be a massive STUD.

Those stats are 70 carries 636 yards and 4 TD's. Not to mention he broke a 25 year old record held by Eddie George in the process is pretty good..... just sayin

Hating on this guy is a pretty bold move at this point given the 49'ers actually moved up to draft him over their stable of FA RB's currently on the roster.

In all honesty his 40 time means nothing; He has an exceptional burst which is one of two main things a RB needs to be successful at an NFL level. The other is vision to hit that hole.

The 49ers obviously believe he has both components or they would not have moved up to draft him.

They moved up to draft Joe Williams as well IIRC...where's he at now?

FWIW, I like Sermon...not enough to pay a mid 1st but certainly if he's there in the late 1st early 2nd I'll take him.
PSA - Haggling is NOT the same as negotiating.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat May 29, 2021 9:21 pm

Mephistopheles wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 4:29 pm
Ice wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:40 pm Hard to say what Sermon will be but if his last 3 games at Ohio State not including the championship which he got hurt are going to be the new norm then he will be a massive STUD.

Those stats are 70 carries 636 yards and 4 TD's. Not to mention he broke a 25 year old record held by Eddie George in the process is pretty good..... just sayin

Hating on this guy is a pretty bold move at this point given the 49'ers actually moved up to draft him over their stable of FA RB's currently on the roster.

In all honesty his 40 time means nothing; He has an exceptional burst which is one of two main things a RB needs to be successful at an NFL level. The other is vision to hit that hole.

The 49ers obviously believe he has both components or they would not have moved up to draft him.

They moved up to draft Joe Williams as well IIRC...where's he at now?

FWIW, I like Sermon...not enough to pay a mid 1st but certainly if he's there in the late 1st early 2nd I'll take him.
Funny enough, I mentioned Joe Williams earlier in the thread - but long story short Joe Williams decided in college to retire to focus on other aspects of life - changed his mind late season when his college team needed an RB - then got drafted by the 49ers. He likely decided after his ankle injury put him on the IR to return to those aspects. There is no record of him trying to rehab or sign with another team.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Rondalebaby
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Rondalebaby » Sat May 29, 2021 11:10 pm

Or he was a JAG like every JAG before him that had one season of senior production, average draft capital and average receiving market share.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun May 30, 2021 8:11 am

Rondalebaby wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:10 pm Or he was a JAG like every JAG before him that had one season of senior production, average draft capital and average receiving market share.
Believe it or not, college is just a beginning for some and not a marker to be thrown down as the end all be all.

He may be average but then again it was a professional football team that decided he had the first step quickness and overall talent to trade away draft picks to move up and select him.

Sermon is pretty much the only RB on the team to have any draft capital. He will be given a legit shot to compete for the starting job.

While it may not prove to be a correct choice it is obvious why he is going top 8 in rookie drafts at this point.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sun May 30, 2021 8:52 am

Ice wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:11 am
He may be average but then again it was a professional football team that decided he had the first step quickness and overall talent to trade away draft picks to move up and select him.

You keep repeating this ad nauseam. Do you have any positive correlation between RB 10 yd split times and success?

Here are last year’s 10 yd splits recorded at the combine, and then Sermon’s pro day split. Add .03 to .05s to his 10 yd split for combine comparison and where does that put him as far as predicting success in the NFL?

2020 Combine best 10 yd splits

J Taylor 1.46s
R Calais 1.50s
D Evans 1.50s
C Akers 1.52s
S Phillips 1.52s
E Benjamin 1.53s
AJ Dillon 1.53s
R Dowdle 1.53s
C Edwards-Helaire 1.53s
J Hasty 1.53s
J Anderson 1.54s
D Dallas 1.54s
J Kelley 1.54s
Z Moss 1.54s
JJ Taylor 1.54s
P Taylor 1.54s
J Robinson 1.55s
K Vaughn 1.55s
S Ahmed 1.56s
B Herrien 1.56s
D Swift 1.56s
S Olonilua 1.57s
T Jones 1.58s
A McFarland 1.59s
J Leake 1.62s

Trey Sermon pro day 10 yd split: 1.49s

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun May 30, 2021 1:25 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:52 am

You keep repeating this ad nauseam. Do you have any positive correlation between RB 10 yd split times and success?

Here are last year’s 10 yd splits recorded at the combine, and then Sermon’s pro day split. Add .03 to .05s to his 10 yd split for combine comparison and where does that put him as far as predicting success in the NFL?

J Taylor 1.46s
R Calais 1.50s
D Evans 1.50s
C Akers 1.52s
S Phillips 1.52s
E Benjamin 1.53s
AJ Dillon 1.53s
R Dowdle 1.53s
C Edwards-Helaire 1.53s
J Hasty 1.53s
J Anderson 1.54s
D Dallas 1.54s
J Kelley 1.54s
Z Moss 1.54s
JJ Taylor 1.54s
P Taylor 1.54s
J Robinson 1.55s
K Vaughn 1.55s
S Ahmed 1.56s
B Herrien 1.56s
D Swift 1.56s
S Olonilua 1.57s
T Jones 1.58s
A McFarland 1.59s
J Leake 1.62s

What I know is it seems many fantasy football players on this site are quick to discount a RB like Sermon but when a teams own GM speaks of this exact stat it is ignored and then I get asked if I personally have any proof.....REALLY????

Teams monitor quickness all the time which is why you are able to list all those RB's 10 yard times. They are important. Lets just take two examples of late that could be a positive correlation given the definition; Positive correlation is a relationship between two variables in which both variables move in tandem—that is, in the same direction.

The fastest 10 yard split last season was a RB that just rushed for 253 yards on 30 carries in a single game tying for 9th all time in the NFL.

The second fastest timed was Sermon who just ran for 331 yards on 29 carries in a single game breaking an all time Ohio State record.

Sounds like a Positive Correlation since you asked and while there is a bit of sarcasm in the response there also may be a hint of truth. :wave:

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sun May 30, 2021 2:38 pm

Ice wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:25 pm

J Taylor 1.46s
R Calais 1.50s
D Evans 1.50s
C Akers 1.52s
S Phillips 1.52s
E Benjamin 1.53s
AJ Dillon 1.53s
R Dowdle 1.53s
C Edwards-Helaire 1.53s
J Hasty 1.53s
J Anderson 1.54s
D Dallas 1.54s
J Kelley 1.54s
Z Moss 1.54s
JJ Taylor 1.54s
P Taylor 1.54s
J Robinson 1.55s
K Vaughn 1.55s
S Ahmed 1.56s
B Herrien 1.56s
D Swift 1.56s
S Olonilua 1.57s
T Jones 1.58s
A McFarland 1.59s
J Leake 1.62s

What I know is it seems many fantasy football players on this site are quick to discount a RB like Sermon but when a teams own GM speaks of this exact stat it is ignored and then I get asked if I personally have any proof.....REALLY????

Teams monitor quickness all the time which is why you are able to list all those RB's 10 yard times. They are important. Lets just take two examples of late that could be a positive correlation given the definition; Positive correlation is a relationship between two variables in which both variables move in tandem—that is, in the same direction.

The fastest 10 yard split last season was a RB that just rushed for 253 yards on 30 carries in a single game tying for 9th all time in the NFL.

The second fastest timed was Sermon who just ran for 331 yards on 29 carries in a single game breaking an all time Ohio State record.

Sounds like a Positive Correlation since you asked and while there is a bit of sarcasm in the response there also may be a hint of truth. :wave:
So the answer is no then?

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sun May 30, 2021 2:45 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:38 pm
Ice wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:25 pm

J Taylor 1.46s
R Calais 1.50s
D Evans 1.50s
C Akers 1.52s
S Phillips 1.52s
E Benjamin 1.53s
AJ Dillon 1.53s
R Dowdle 1.53s
C Edwards-Helaire 1.53s
J Hasty 1.53s
J Anderson 1.54s
D Dallas 1.54s
J Kelley 1.54s
Z Moss 1.54s
JJ Taylor 1.54s
P Taylor 1.54s
J Robinson 1.55s
K Vaughn 1.55s
S Ahmed 1.56s
B Herrien 1.56s
D Swift 1.56s
S Olonilua 1.57s
T Jones 1.58s
A McFarland 1.59s
J Leake 1.62s

So the answer is no then?
This whole website has devolved into this exact interaction:
Player X is good because of Y.
Do you have any proof that Y actually matters?
Not only do I not have any proof, but NOW I’M GOING TO SPOUT MORE NONSENSE AND IF YOU DON’T JUST SHUT UP AND THANK ME FOR DOING IT, THEN YOU’RE THE BAD GUY
It sucks man. This place wasn’t always like this. Now people take offense to the idea of anybody challenging their opinions. They just want to have their ideas praised. It’s lame.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun May 30, 2021 3:14 pm

It is unbelievable how so many have absolutely zero sense of humor around here. Some of us can use an emoji and even mention sarcasm while others are such literal creatures they simply can't find any humor.

News flash; Sermon is a rookie; he was the 4th RB taken. He may be good or he may not......

The real reality is you have no friggen clue how he will turn out as a professional. The hope of the 49er's is he becomes a great player just like those that drafted him.

I wouldn't buy at the going rate but you're an idiot if you don't understand why he is going at those prices.

Rondalebaby
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Rondalebaby » Sun May 30, 2021 3:51 pm

I’ll let someone else waste pick 8 on a senior with no production, a 4.6+ forty, a sub 100 speed score, poor receiving market share and barely acceptable draft capital.

Unlike “first step quickness” the above actually correlate to fantasy success lol

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun May 30, 2021 3:57 pm

Rondalebaby wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 3:51 pm I’ll let someone else waste pick 8 on a senior with no production, a 4.6+ forty, a sub 100 speed score, poor receiving market share and barely acceptable draft capital.

Unlike “first step quickness” the above actually correlate to fantasy success lol
No worries people waste 1.8 picks annually on lots of different position players.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sun May 30, 2021 6:53 pm

Ice wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 3:14 pm It is unbelievable how so many have absolutely zero sense of humor around here. Some of us can use an emoji and even mention sarcasm while others are such literal creatures they simply can't find any humor.

News flash; Sermon is a rookie; he was the 4th RB taken. He may be good or he may not......

The real reality is you have no friggen clue how he will turn out as a professional. The hope of the 49er's is he becomes a great player just like those that drafted him.

I wouldn't buy at the going rate but you're an idiot if you don't understand why he is going at those prices.
There we go. Now we’ve got a common basis of discussion. I agree - none of us know how this will shake out. When a trait is thrown out as factual evidence that Sermon will succeed and that evidence can’t be supported as a meaningful trait, there’s going to be contention. When superb college runners who succeeded in the NFL are brought up as comps, and then it’s painfully obvious that there’s little in common with the subject player then there’s going to be contention.

But stuff like the Williams pick by Shanahan was rebutted well IMO. If someone had brought up comps like Mike Shanahan’s RBs and his success with them - the one cut and downhill guys like Davis, Gary, and Anderson then we’d have a lot more common ground since there’s a least a very similar style to compare (though Davis’ game speed was very different than his timed speed and it showed, which I don’t see in Sermon IMO). I brought up Lacy as a good comp and there was a good rebuttal that Lacy did have a couple of successful years.

But contention is okay, it puts opposing views on the table and forces a deeper look by both sides to support their position - as long as it doesn’t sink to a personal level.

I agree with a lot of the post of yours above that I quoted, other than understanding how Sermon is rising so high. To me that looks like fool’s gold that people are selling each other on in hopes that situation will cover a lot of flaws. That sets people up for disappointment in a lot of cases. And then again, I could be completely wrong. If so, I’ll be back and own it, and hopefully see where I went wrong so I can do better in a future similar situation. And give you kudos.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sun May 30, 2021 8:39 pm

Let me rephrase it more simply:

C’mon, let’s extend ourselves, not worrying about being wrong and enjoy it. This is great offseason fun and a learning opportunity. We’re all working on our teams during the season. This is the great guessing time. This is an opportunity for all of us to help each other. This is a great time of the year. Enjoy it!

dipANDglide
All Pro
All Pro

Postby dipANDglide » Sun May 30, 2021 8:45 pm

Semon is better than JAG. He isn't going to be elite. But he can be a serviceable starter with low-end RB1 upside. Those guys are valuable. I'd take a shot in the late 1st all day. A mid-first is more of a gamble. Give me an elite athlete like Waddle of Sermon all day in the mid-1st.