GOAT

Re: Aaron Rodgers - are we RELAX-ed?

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:18 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:01 am
YouMightDieTryin wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:14 am
abloom wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:55 am Wonder where love ends up now
Denver :lol:

I shouldn't laugh though.
That's funny. I'm glad this is done so the speculation can stop. This was always the likeliest result.
What do you mean? Surely there's going to be a QB competition :lol: at least, that's what the media will probably say

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:10 pm

remedy29 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:38 am
StripesOfKC wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:30 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:25 am There's worse things in football than paying an elite QB over market value. Teams can circumvent the cap stuff anyway with restructures as usual.

The Jordan Love pick is looking like one of the worst draft picks ever.
I'm willing to bet he won't be elite for the full length of that contract
Not sure how anyone can say this is a terrible deal for the Packers. They won 13 games, 3 years in a row with Rodgers. What course of action could the Packers have possibly done that could potentially, although extremely unlikely, yield as good results as they will get with Rodgers in the next few years?

If it's about the money, what do you care? It's not your job to manage the money. As a fan, you just want the team to do their best to try and win.
This would make perfect sense if the salary cap didn't exist and their future wasn't screwed the second Rodgers is no longer elite

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:20 pm

CGW wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:43 am
abloom wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:55 am Wonder where love ends up now
Green Bays bench is my guess.
Agreed here. They can attempt to rehab his value with the preseason, and having a backup in the building that knows the system has a certain amount of value in case their 39 year old 200 million dollar man gets smoked again.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:44 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:10 pm
remedy29 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:38 am
StripesOfKC wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:30 am

I'm willing to bet he won't be elite for the full length of that contract
Not sure how anyone can say this is a terrible deal for the Packers. They won 13 games, 3 years in a row with Rodgers. What course of action could the Packers have possibly done that could potentially, although extremely unlikely, yield as good results as they will get with Rodgers in the next few years?

If it's about the money, what do you care? It's not your job to manage the money. As a fan, you just want the team to do their best to try and win.
This would make perfect sense if the salary cap didn't exist and their future wasn't screwed the second Rodgers is no longer elite
As we've seen consistently throughout the years: the cap can be circumvented by restructures and converting incentives. It just allows you to kick the can down the road.

Remember when people said the Rams were going to be in cap hell? Never happened. Every year there's some team that's going to be insert crazy number here above the cap, and they end up getting under.

It's the NFL---you're better off overpaying an elite QB than not. If GB didn't pay Rodgers, someone would have, which is why GB folded and gave him that deal.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:50 pm

zaner75 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:55 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:25 am The Jordan Love pick is looking like one of the worst draft picks ever.
Lol. That's a tad hyperbolic, imo. :wink: Definitely not a great pick but a #26 pick not panning out without receiving a proper opportunity ranks fairly low on my worst draft picks ever.
Tony Mandarich, Ryan Leaf, Andre Ware, Jamarcus Russell, Charles Rogers, Justin Blackmon, Kevin White, Brandon Weeden, Johnny Manziel, Josh Rosen are just a few off the top of my head from my timeline as an NFL fan that I think are more egregious busts as many were drafted top 10.
Think about it like this:

- They moved up to draft Love.
- For a decent porition of the season, he wasn't even the backup QB.
- They could have stayed where they were and drafted a WR that would've helped Rodgers.
- Love very well could end up only making 1 start for the Packers. 1.
- Choosing Love strained the relationship between Rodgers and their front office.
- Rodgers went out and won back-to-back MVPs and increased his price even more.

I don't think it's the worst pick ever, but it's certainly going to be up there given the domino effect it had and how awful Love is.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:51 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:44 pm As we've seen consistently throughout the years: the cap can be circumvented by restructures and converting incentives. It just allows you to kick the can down the road.

Remember when people said the Rams were going to be in cap hell? Never happened. Every year there's some team that's going to be insert crazy number here above the cap, and they end up getting under.

It's the NFL---you're better off overpaying an elite QB than not. If GB didn't pay Rodgers, someone would have, which is why GB folded and gave him that deal.
Both can be true. Kicking that can down the road... it does put a timeline on your team... eventually.

The Saints took this idea to its logical conclusion and are finally paying for it. Just announced this morning that they'll be letting Terron Armstead go as they can't afford to franchise tag him... that's an incredibly valuable LT to see walk out the door for nothing.

Sean Payton quit, rather than deal with this. There are consequences... eventually.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:42 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:50 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:25 am The Jordan Love pick is looking like one of the worst draft picks ever.
Lol. That's a tad hyperbolic, imo. :wink: Definitely not a great pick but a #26 pick not panning out without receiving a proper opportunity ranks fairly low on my worst draft picks ever.
Tony Mandarich, Ryan Leaf, Andre Ware, Jamarcus Russell, Charles Rogers, Justin Blackmon, Kevin White, Brandon Weeden, Johnny Manziel, Josh Rosen are just a few off the top of my head from my timeline as an NFL fan that I think are more egregious busts as many were drafted top 10.

- They could have stayed where they were and drafted a WR that would've helped Rodgers.
- Choosing Love strained the relationship between Rodgers and their front office.

I don't think it's the worst pick ever, but it's certainly going to be up there given the domino effect it had and how awful Love is.
That domino effect also helped turn Rodgers into a back to back MVP. People were talking above how he was starting to lose it, then Love got picked. From that point on he's been ballin'. Have to think it had an effect. Not saying it was a good pick because of that, but it does have to be looked at as part of that equation/domino effect.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:54 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:42 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:50 pm

That domino effect also helped turn Rodgers into a back to back MVP. People were talking above how he was starting to lose it, then Love got picked. From that point on he's been ballin'. Have to think it had an effect. Not saying it was a good pick because of that, but it does have to be looked at as part of that equation/domino effect.
Rodgers was balling pretty decently prior to the Love pick. His TDs weren't as high as they were the past two years, but he wasn't "losing it" either. Maybe drafting a QB lit a fire in him, but to me the big increase in TDs came when Lafleur took over.

2019| 4002 yards, 26TD, 4INT
2018| 4442 yards, 25TD, 2INT
2017| 1675 yards, 16TD, 6INT (injured)
2016| 4428 yards, 40TD, 7INT

They had a franchise QB and wasted a 1st round pick in what was obviously his prime. Imagine if they had picked one of the 2nd round WRs to pair with Adams - Higgins, Pittman, Shenault, claypool. Heck, maybe even Mims would be a thing.