Are you Buying/Selling Sam Darnold - Traded to Carolina

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
osubuckeyeman
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Sam Darnold going forward

Postby osubuckeyeman » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:06 am

I liked him coming out and still think he is a good quarterback. I think his weapons have been bad and his coaching staff has been bad. The mono hurt his development. He has flashed at times but the situation has just been so poor. If roster space was no issue then I would not mind having him. My dynasty roster just does not need him so I would not pay anything for him which means I will not own him anytime soon.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:14 am

Career backup with short starting stints. The new Case Keenum.

Don't cut him for no reason. Depends on roster and league size.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:53 am

Never a fan but in SF there is some value. Like him in a Dalton kind of way. Marginal starter but solid backup. Not roster worthy in many single start QB leagues of 12 or less.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:28 pm

I knew nothing about him and sold him high near the end of his rookie year but as a Dolphins fan I see him often enough I think he could still be a solid starter in the league. There are certainly some current starters he could compete with in camp. Washington or SF moving on from Jimmy G for a cheaper option that can actually threaten deep both could pop on a cheap Darnold experiment.
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:57 am

At this point if Carson Wentz can still get a job at 27 playing the way he has, then Sam Darnold at 23 certainly deserves the benefit of the doubt. Especially after beating the Rams highly touted defense against all odds. I think his best bet is to leave though. At least thats what I’m hoping.
The Handle Formerly Known as "The Godwin Complex"
⛳️Jaguars will finish 11-6 and make the playoffs
⛳️If Sam Darnold finishes outside of the top 13 QB in 2021 then StripesOfKC & Sriracha get to decide what my new handle and icon will be. :thumbup:

12 TEAM SUPERFLEX PPR
START: QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 TE, 3 FLEX, 1 SUPERFLEX
ROSTER STARTERS
QB: S. Darnold (CAR)
RB: J. Jacobs (LV), L. Fournette (TB)
WR: Cooper (DAL), Ridley (ATL), M. Williams (LAC)
TE: R. Seals-Jones (WAS), M. Alie-Cox (IND)
FLEX: Sutton (DEN), J. Smith-Schuster (PIT), D. Harris (NE)
SUPERFLEX: M. Jones (NE)

BENCH:
QB: Rudolph (PIT), Book (NO), Minshew (PHL), Stidham (NE)
RB: Cord. Patterson (ATL), A. Collins (SEA), D. Dallas (SEA), K. Vaughn (TB), JJ Taylor (NE), S. Perine (CIN)
WR: M. Jones (JAX), Zaccheus (ATL), G. Olszewski (NE)
TE: B. Jarwin (DAL), D. Asiasi (NE)
IR: Tre' Q. Smith (NO), Tyrod Taylor (HOU), Chark Jr (JAX), R. Penny (SEA)

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:52 pm

The Godwin Complex wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:57 am At this point if Carson Wentz can still get a job at 27 playing the way he has, then Sam Darnold at 23 certainly deserves the benefit of the doubt. Especially after beating the Rams highly touted defense against all odds. I think his best bet is to leave though. At least thats what I’m hoping.
The difference is the contract. Wentz has a job because his contract demands it. Darnold has zero leverage. He deserves a shot for sure and he will get one...but it's because hes going to be dirt cheap for the Jets or whoever they trade him to.

I would like to see him elsewhere too. Pittsburg makes sense. One more season of Ben and let Darnold learn behind him.

broncohead
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby broncohead » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:10 pm

The Godwin Complex wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:57 am At this point if Carson Wentz can still get a job at 27 playing the way he has, then Sam Darnold at 23 certainly deserves the benefit of the doubt. Especially after beating the Rams highly touted defense against all odds. I think his best bet is to leave though. At least thats what I’m hoping.
Both have played poorly this year but only one has shown they can play at a higher level. I believe Darnold should get a real chance to compete for a starting job though.
48 team, 4 copy league, QB, RB, WR, WR, TE, SF, 4 flex
QB - Wentz, Tannehill, Mayfield, Jones, Alex Smith
RB - Chubb, Hunt, Swift, Akers, Henderson, Mostert, Mack, Bowden, Hill
WR - AJ Brown, DJ Moore, Gabriel Davis, Slayton, Hamler, Isabella
TE - Fant, Burton, Firkser, Keene, Okuegbunam
2021 Draft - 1.09, 3rd

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:24 pm

Darnold has never played at the level Wentz has; that's the difference.

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:48 pm

Darnold has beaten 2 playoff caliber teams this year with far less than Carson has ever had. Who has Carson Wentz beaten this year? If I was a GM out there I would 100% take Darnold over Carson right now. 3 years younger, much more coachable, much less jaded. What kind of QB whines about being on the bench 5 days after THE TEAM won their biggest game of the year? Sam Darnold responds to all of the “tank for Trevor” talk not by whining or talking about leaving NYC if they draft a QB, but by winning 2 huge games. Give me Darnold. He lets his play do the talking.
The Handle Formerly Known as "The Godwin Complex"
⛳️Jaguars will finish 11-6 and make the playoffs
⛳️If Sam Darnold finishes outside of the top 13 QB in 2021 then StripesOfKC & Sriracha get to decide what my new handle and icon will be. :thumbup:

12 TEAM SUPERFLEX PPR
START: QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 TE, 3 FLEX, 1 SUPERFLEX
ROSTER STARTERS
QB: S. Darnold (CAR)
RB: J. Jacobs (LV), L. Fournette (TB)
WR: Cooper (DAL), Ridley (ATL), M. Williams (LAC)
TE: R. Seals-Jones (WAS), M. Alie-Cox (IND)
FLEX: Sutton (DEN), J. Smith-Schuster (PIT), D. Harris (NE)
SUPERFLEX: M. Jones (NE)

BENCH:
QB: Rudolph (PIT), Book (NO), Minshew (PHL), Stidham (NE)
RB: Cord. Patterson (ATL), A. Collins (SEA), D. Dallas (SEA), K. Vaughn (TB), JJ Taylor (NE), S. Perine (CIN)
WR: M. Jones (JAX), Zaccheus (ATL), G. Olszewski (NE)
TE: B. Jarwin (DAL), D. Asiasi (NE)
IR: Tre' Q. Smith (NO), Tyrod Taylor (HOU), Chark Jr (JAX), R. Penny (SEA)

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:55 pm

The Godwin Complex wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:48 pm Darnold has beaten 2 playoff caliber teams this year with far less than Carson has ever had. Who has Carson Wentz beaten this year? If I was a GM out there I would 100% take Darnold over Carson right now. 3 years younger, much more coachable, much less jaded. What kind of QB whines about being on the bench 5 days after THE TEAM won their biggest game of the year? Sam Darnold responds to all of the “tank for Trevor” talk not by whining or talking about leaving NYC if they draft a QB, but by winning 2 huge games. Give me Darnold. He lets his play do the talking.
Wentz played at an MVP level and has been a Top-10 QB for multiple years. Darnold has never been anything more than average at best at random points during the season.

You can't base it squarely on this season, because it ignores how good Wentz has actually been and why he got the contract in the first place. Darnold may be able to turn it around with a change of scenery, but we've just never seen him play at a franchise QB level. We've seen Wentz do that already.

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:00 pm

And Darnold has not been in a positive team situation since entering the league, much like Tannehill.
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:25 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:55 pm
The Godwin Complex wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:48 pm Darnold has beaten 2 playoff caliber teams this year with far less than Carson has ever had. Who has Carson Wentz beaten this year? If I was a GM out there I would 100% take Darnold over Carson right now. 3 years younger, much more coachable, much less jaded. What kind of QB whines about being on the bench 5 days after THE TEAM won their biggest game of the year? Sam Darnold responds to all of the “tank for Trevor” talk not by whining or talking about leaving NYC if they draft a QB, but by winning 2 huge games. Give me Darnold. He lets his play do the talking.
Wentz played at an MVP level and has been a Top-10 QB for multiple years. Darnold has never been anything more than average at best at random points during the season.

You can't base it squarely on this season, because it ignores how good Wentz has actually been and why he got the contract in the first place. Darnold may be able to turn it around with a change of scenery, but we've just never seen him play at a franchise QB level. We've seen Wentz do that already.
Wentz has never played at an MVP level, not even close. In the best season of his career, his team won the Super Bowl without him, thus demonstrating the fact that he was not particularly valuable at all. The stats also do not support the idea that he has been a top 10 QB. He carried that type of fantasy value before at one point, sure, but it was always based off of him being “a young top QB” due to that 14 game stretch rather than a guy that actually produced. His entire reputation was built off the back of a completely stacked roster that made him look a heck of a lot better than he was.

I’d take Darnold easily over Wentz. At least he has a chance of being good.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

RCogburn
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby RCogburn » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:51 am

Saw a clip on CBS pregame yesterday. They think the Jets are going to stick with Darnold and sell the 2nd pick to the highest bidder.

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:11 am

RCogburn wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:51 am Saw a clip on CBS pregame yesterday. They think the Jets are going to stick with Darnold and sell the 2nd pick to the highest bidder.
Not saying it's the right or wrong call but if they do idk who they're gonna really get interest from. Current top 10 is
3. Mia via HOU- tua hasn't been the most impressive at all but he hasn't outright looked bad enough to dump after a year imo
4. ATL- matt is old but still playing well and signed to a big deal
5. Cincy- nope
6. Phi- hurts looks good and they've still gotta deal with wentz
7. Lions- unless they can move Stafford guessing no
8. Giants- Jones was a high enough draft pick where I'm guessing he gets another year of leash
9. Panthers-good possibility here
10.broncos-good possibility here

So within the top 10 you've got 2 teams thatre likely open to it, two more that need to move the current starter first and one dark horse in NYC. Honestly not a great market compared to most years

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:28 am

PR0v3 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:25 pm
Wentz has never played at an MVP level, not even close. In the best season of his career, his team won the Super Bowl without him, thus demonstrating the fact that he was not particularly valuable at all. The stats also do not support the idea that he has been a top 10 QB. He carried that type of fantasy value before at one point, sure, but it was always based off of him being “a young top QB” due to that 14 game stretch rather than a guy that actually produced. His entire reputation was built off the back of a completely stacked roster that made him look a heck of a lot better than he was.

I’d take Darnold easily over Wentz. At least he has a chance of being good.
In 13 games that year, Wentz had a 33 TD/7 INT line and a 101.9 passer rating. The Eagles were 11-2 and he was one of the frontrunners for MVP. He finished 3rd in MVP voting that season. It just so happens that Foles is good in that system as well and caught fire to get them a Super Bowl, but it doesn't dismiss that Wentz was really, really good that year.

Darnold has never played at the level Wentz has from 2017-2018. Darnold just typically catches fire late in the season when teams are not getting up to play against the Jets.

I think there's an argument to prefer Darnold over Wentz because of the contract, but if Wentz turns it around back to 2017-2018 production, then he's worth the money they gave him.