Najee Harris Thread: Thoughts after Pro Day?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Najee Harris Thread: Thoughts after Pro Day?

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:11 pm

Do we care that the Steelers offensive line looks like one of the worst in the league on paper

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:40 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:11 pm Do we care that the Steelers offensive line looks like one of the worst in the league on paper
Maybe I'm just uninformed, but the DeCastro news today caught me off guard. As if that poor O-line needed any more adversity and we're not even to training camp yet. Harris is a talent, but the guy can only do so much by himself. It may not be a perennial problem, but it sure appears to be one for 2021.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:30 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:11 pm Do we care that the Steelers offensive line looks like one of the worst in the league on paper
Not if he gets 300+ touches.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:32 pm

Only if you're a realist!
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:37 pm

And that escalated quickly. Signed Trai Turner ASAP after releasing DeCastro earlier in the day.

At least they're trying to patch together a O-line.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:11 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:37 pm And that escalated quickly. Signed Trai Turner ASAP after releasing DeCastro earlier in the day.

At least they're trying to patch together a O-line.
Drafting a RB instead of an OL in the 1st is going to bite them so hard.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:29 pm

Guess that depends on how an owner expects Harris to perform. I think the Jaguars got a bottom 3rd grade for 2020 but that did not keep James Robinson from being an RB1. The Vikings also got a bottom 3rd of the league grade by PFF in 2020 and obviously Cook was still a top 3 RB. Josh Jacobs finished 8th overall and the Raiders were also a bottom 3rd graded OLine in 2020.

So it is not as if you NEED a good to great O-Line to lock in an RB1 season - but obviously the better the O-Line the more the RB should benefit.

On the other hand it could potentially lead to a Joe Mixon like 2017 ...

Basically we'll soon see if Harris is a back who has a positive or negative Expected Yards differential. IE will he produce more yards than the O-Line can get a RB. If so then then weaker O-Line will not be as much of a hindrance.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2020 ... e-rankings
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:56 am

My take is his success is going to depend on his ability to catch a lot of balls out of the backfield. The line was bad last year and Ben's YPA was around 30 at 6.3 even though he ranked third in attempts. On the rushing side of life the Steelers were even worse ranking last at 3.6 YPC.

Harris is a good player in a pretty bad situation from a quality line standpoint and that matters in the short term. Still, this is Dynasty and things change quickly. I wouldn't expect great things in 2021 but he should still be close to a top 10 RB based on projected volume.

The Steelers may actually be the worse team in their division this season. It will be tough sledding.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:01 am

jenkins.math wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:30 pm
++

This supposedly poor OL was good enough for Conner+Snell to combine for 1350+ rush/rec yards and 10TDs. Because Pittsburgh historically uses a bellcow and Najee is fully expected to be that bellcow, and everyone thinks Najee is much more talented than them, we should consider those numbers his floor.

That would have made Najee the #8 fantasy RB in PPR in 2020, just a couple of points behind Taylor/Robinson and ahead of Jacobs/Zeke/Chubb. I think any Najee owner would be happy with that, regardless of what some people think of the Steelers' OL.

And if the OL is better than advertised and Najee's ability can really take over, he might do even better.

tldr; not worried at all.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:51 pm

Anteaters wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:01 am
++

This supposedly poor OL was good enough for Conner+Snell to combine for 1350+ rush/rec yards and 10TDs. Because Pittsburgh historically uses a bellcow and Najee is fully expected to be that bellcow, and everyone thinks Najee is much more talented than them, we should consider those numbers his floor.

That would have made Najee the #8 fantasy RB in PPR in 2020, just a couple of points behind Taylor/Robinson and ahead of Jacobs/Zeke/Chubb. I think any Najee owner would be happy with that, regardless of what some people think of the Steelers' OL.

And if the OL is better than advertised and Najee's ability can really take over, he might do even better.

This was their line last season

Alejandro Villanueva
Matt Feiler
Maurkice Pouncey
David DeCastro
Chukwuma Okorafor

This is their line this season:

PFF grades of Pitt projected OL:
-Okarofor (77th among 89 T)
Dotson (29/86)
Hassenauer (39/55)
Turner (86/86)
Banner (only 86 total pass blocking snaps in entire career)

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:48 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:51 pm
Anteaters wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:01 am

++

This was their line last season

Alejandro Villanueva
Matt Feiler
Maurkice Pouncey
David DeCastro
Chukwuma Okorafor

This is their line this season:

PFF grades of Pitt projected OL:
-Okarofor (77th among 89 T)
Dotson (29/86)
Hassenauer (39/55)
Turner (86/86)
Banner (only 86 total pass blocking snaps in entire career)
I get where you are coming from, and in no way do I think we are going to have a good line this year. I also agree with what I think your basic premise is that the line will be worse this year then last. But just reminding everyone that the flashy names of Pouncey and DeCastro were washed last year. Pouncey was a shell of himself. And tbh from what I've read, DeCastro's ankle is shot to the point where he can no longer even play the game anymore.

I think our line was bad last year, it will be bad this year; but from watching every game, it's not hyperbole to say it really can't get much worse. I agree with Anteaters, I would not be worried about Harris. So long as he doesn't get injured and gets his expected touches, he will finish as a back end top 12 fantasy back.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:12 am

So, Tomlin has a history of an every down back. In swaggers Najee for 96% of his team's offensive snaps (league leader), as well as leading the team in both rush yardage and receptions. Depending on league scoring, that's 7th in RB PPG.

All of that with Ben "The Turd" Roethlisberger at QB and a degraded oline.

Anyone else getting hyped for him?
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:15 am

I would gladly give up two 1sts and Hollywood/or/Waddle to get Najee. Gladly!
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:58 am

Steelers line looks awful as advertised, so his rushing performances have been awful. He's been saved by being one of the few every down backs in the league and a historic 19 targets in the last game.

I don't think he is worth three first round picks.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:32 am

Harris is projecting to be exactly what a few of us thought he would be - a guy who gets what is blocked for him and nothing more. I’m not very enthusiastic about a RB who can barely scrape together a 3.0 ypa.

That 14 catch anomaly is not something I’d be counting on to pump his season total too far. They did score all of 10 pts and lost that game by 2 TDs to a beatable division foe, I’m guessing that isn’t what they’re looking for in regard to repeatable game plans. He’s looking like a very midrange RB2 to me, and replaceable if PIT manages to stumble onto a dynamic talent.