Najee Harris Thread: Thoughts after Pro Day?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Mike11
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Najee Harris Thread: Thoughts after Pro Day?

Postby Mike11 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:50 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:32 am Harris is projecting to be exactly what a few of us thought he would be - a guy who gets what is blocked for him and nothing more. I’m not very enthusiastic about a RB who can barely scrape together a 3.0 ypa.

That 14 catch anomaly is not something I’d be counting on to pump his season total too far. They did score all of 10 pts and lost that game by 2 TDs to a beatable division foe, I’m guessing that isn’t what they’re looking for in regard to repeatable game plans. He’s looking like a very midrange RB2 to me, and replaceable if PIT manages to stumble onto a dynamic talent.
After spending a first on Harris don't expect them to fall into a dynamic talent or spend more premium picks with the holes they have on this roster. I think Harris has done what's asked of him and his efficiency isn't great through no fault of his own which the organization would understand. He's been as advertised to me and I don't think his owners are unhappy with this start, there's still room for improvement overall though from a YPA/YPC attempt. If you're a nervous owner I'd still expect 2 firsts+ is his going rate.
League Established in 2014

2015 League Champion
2017 League Champion
2018 League Champion
2022 League Champion

10 Team 20 Keeper League Non ppr

Starters in Bold

QB Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson
RB Chubb, JT Javonte Williams, De’Von Achane
Flex Ekeler, Etienne
WR AJB, Stefon Diggs, Jaylen Waddle Mike Williams, Treylon Burks, Amari Rodgers, Nico Collins, Diontae Johnson, Mingo, Burks, Tillman, Batemen
TE TJ Hockenson Higbee Hurst

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:16 am

Mike11 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:50 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:32 am Harris is projecting to be exactly what a few of us thought he would be - a guy who gets what is blocked for him and nothing more. I’m not very enthusiastic about a RB who can barely scrape together a 3.0 ypa.

That 14 catch anomaly is not something I’d be counting on to pump his season total too far. They did score all of 10 pts and lost that game by 2 TDs to a beatable division foe, I’m guessing that isn’t what they’re looking for in regard to repeatable game plans. He’s looking like a very midrange RB2 to me, and replaceable if PIT manages to stumble onto a dynamic talent.
After spending a first on Harris don't expect them to fall into a dynamic talent or spend more premium picks with the holes they have on this roster. I think Harris has done what's asked of him and his efficiency isn't great through no fault of his own which the organization would understand. He's been as advertised to me and I don't think his owners are unhappy with this start, there's still room for improvement overall though from a YPA/YPC attempt. If you're a nervous owner I'd still expect 2 firsts+ is his going rate.
He's living off check downs and volume right now. Looks so pedestrian as a runner. Not the least bit impressed with that area of his game. I am not a fan of his talent, but he's going to be out there a ton, and if the Steelers keep trailing games, he'll put up some points. Last week was a bit of an anomaly with Juju and Diontae out, I don't expect that type of target share again. I agree on the price. He's a great sell if you're not a contender, with the uncertainty of the Steelers future QB situation. If you're a contender, you hold.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Mike11
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mike11 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:02 am

I keep seeing that he's been pedestrian as a runner but then people also complain about the o-line which is a dumpster fire. Which is it, is it both? What RB back there would be high efficiency? He's getting hit 3 yards behind the LOS frequently, I'm not sure that makes him a bad runner...

The o-line is certainly more of the issue in my opinion than him being untalented as a runner.
League Established in 2014

2015 League Champion
2017 League Champion
2018 League Champion
2022 League Champion

10 Team 20 Keeper League Non ppr

Starters in Bold

QB Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson
RB Chubb, JT Javonte Williams, De’Von Achane
Flex Ekeler, Etienne
WR AJB, Stefon Diggs, Jaylen Waddle Mike Williams, Treylon Burks, Amari Rodgers, Nico Collins, Diontae Johnson, Mingo, Burks, Tillman, Batemen
TE TJ Hockenson Higbee Hurst

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:06 am

Mike11 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:02 am I keep seeing that he's been pedestrian as a runner but then people also complain about the o-line which is a dumpster fire. Which is it, is it both? What RB back there would be high efficiency? He's getting hit 3 yards behind the LOS frequently, I'm not sure that makes him a bad runner...

The o-line is certainly more of the issue in my opinion than him being untalented as a runner.
No, the OL isn't that good, but neither is he. He really doesn't provide any make you miss ability at all, he needs a head of steam and a lane. He's just not that talented a runner. As he said a month ago, it's his job to make the first guy miss. He doesn't. He's an average runner. Nothing special at all about him. He's stiff hipped and isn't that quick.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:15 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:16 am

He's living off check downs and volume right now. Looks so pedestrian as a runner. Not the least bit impressed with that area of his game. I am not a fan of his talent, but he's going to be out there a ton, and if the Steelers keep trailing games, he'll put up some points. Last week was a bit of an anomaly with Juju and Diontae out, I don't expect that type of target share again. I agree on the price. He's a great sell if you're not a contender, with the uncertainty of the Steelers future QB situation. If you're a contender, you hold.
Isn't that what you want for your RB as far as fantasy is concerned? Also, wasn't that exactly what everyone thought would happen in Pitt?

The 19 targets thing was insane and probably won't happen again, but I don't really understand what the conversation is as it pertains to Najee. The expectation was that he would get all of the work and probably be inefficient with it since the offensive line and offense in general is bad. Well it appears that everyone was correct in that assessment, so what exactly has changed in his value if he is literally meeting the expectations people had for him?

Those that took him drafted him on the premise of "volume is king". So far that premise has rang true. Those that didn't like him will point to poor efficiency numbers and say that he isn't that talented. Well, that crowd isn't necessarily wrong either.

We get that you don't like Najee as a talent. FWIW, I don't think he is some uber talent either. But none of that matters because he is 1 of a handful of RBs that get all of their team's workload. That in itself is more valuable that whatever talent level you think he does or does not possess.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:32 am

jenkins.math wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:15 am That in itself is more valuable that whatever talent level you think he does or does not possess.
Exactly.
I don't care whether my RB gets fantasy points because he is an average talent getting volume, or because he is an elite talent who is spectacularly efficient with lower volume. RB6 is RB6 is RB6 and that's what Najee is after 3 weeks. That's exactly what I'd want if I drafted him 1.01
Last edited by Anteaters on Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:33 am

jenkins.math wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:15 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:16 am

Isn't that what you want for your RB as far as fantasy is concerned? Also, wasn't that exactly what everyone thought would happen in Pitt?

The 19 targets thing was insane and probably won't happen again, but I don't really understand what the conversation is as it pertains to Najee. The expectation was that he would get all of the work and probably be inefficient with it since the offensive line and offense in general is bad. Well it appears that everyone was correct in that assessment, so what exactly has changed in his value if he is literally meeting the expectations people had for him?

Those that took him drafted him on the premise of "volume is king". So far that premise has rang true. Those that didn't like him will point to poor efficiency numbers and say that he isn't that talented. Well, that crowd isn't necessarily wrong either.

We get that you don't like Najee as a talent. FWIW, I don't think he is some uber talent either. But none of that matters because he is 1 of a handful of RBs that get all of their team's workload. That in itself is more valuable that whatever talent level you think he does or does not possess.
It is. I pretty clearly addressed this. "he's going to be out there a ton, and if the Steelers keep trailing games, he'll put up some points". I was pretty clear that he was a hold on a contender. I feel like some people aren't seeing the forest for the trees here. People are defending him, putting all the blame elsewhere, I'm merely pointing out some of the reason he's not racking up rushing yardage is his own limitations. Nowhere did I suggest he wasn't going to get volume or score FF points.

jomaed
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jomaed » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:42 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:06 am
Mike11 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:02 am I keep seeing that he's been pedestrian as a runner but then people also complain about the o-line which is a dumpster fire. Which is it, is it both? What RB back there would be high efficiency? He's getting hit 3 yards behind the LOS frequently, I'm not sure that makes him a bad runner...

No, the OL isn't that good, but neither is he. He really doesn't provide any make you miss ability at all, he needs a head of steam and a lane. He's just not that talented a runner. As he said a month ago, it's his job to make the first guy miss. He doesn't. He's an average runner. Nothing special at all about him. He's stiff hipped and isn't that quick.
He is #4 overall in yards created so far this year. If you watch his catches last week the 1st guy brought him down maybe 10% of the time and almost all the yards were after the catch.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:43 am

He is right now, but Pitt is a smart enough organization to recognize his limitations and move on or adjust if continues to plod. I thik his situation is great in redraft mentality, but not as much in a dynasty lense
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:52 am

murphysxm wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:43 am
He is right now, but Pitt is a smart enough organization to recognize his limitations and move on or adjust if continues to plod. I thik his situation is great in redraft mentality, but not as much in a dynasty lense
Are you suggesting that Najee is the issue and reason the Steelers offense is bad?

I would think the Steelers are much more concerned with finding a new QB and fixing the offensive line moreso than their RB. He is the least of their issues on offense right now imo.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:19 am

Anteaters wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:32 am
jenkins.math wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:15 am That in itself is more valuable that whatever talent level you think he does or does not possess.
Exactly.
I don't care whether my RB gets fantasy points because he is an average talent getting volume, or because he is an elite talent who is spectacularly efficient with lower volume. RB6 is RB6 is RB6 and that's what Najee is after 3 weeks. That's exactly what I'd want if I drafted him 1.01
So then you must have an expectation that he’ll continue to average about 7 catches a game for the remaining 14 games, because that 14 catch game is what currently accounts for his RB1 status. If you change that 14 catch game into what would be a more typical expectation of a 4 catch game, then you’re looking at a strictly volume based middling RB2, which I believe is probably a more reasonable assessment to date.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:21 am

jenkins.math wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:52 am
murphysxm wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:43 am
Are you suggesting that Najee is the issue and reason the Steelers offense is bad?

I would think the Steelers are much more concerned with finding a new QB and fixing the offensive line moreso than their RB. He is the least of their issues on offense right now imo.
Clearly Harris isn't the problem with that offense, but he isn't the answer either. As Billy mentions, take away the random 14 catch game and his is blah.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:57 am

Anteaters wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:32 am
Exactly.
I get what you're saying, but there does come a point where players who aren't as good as their fantasy production lose their roles. Nobody holds elite volume with pedestrian results forever.

That said, Harris will have better days when the Steelers start rebuilding the offensive line.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:44 am

I won't take those receptions away. The NFL says they count, so they count in my estimation, too. Every big game for a player has something about it that was unusual. We don't take away Derrick Henry's 80 yard TD runs. We don't take away Gibson's 73 yard TD reception in week 3. We don't take away the 66-yard FG. A high-scoring game by a player is high-scoring BECAUSE he did something unusual.

If we take out all of Lamar Jackson's great plays in 2020, he's be the QB24 on the year. It makes no sense to eliminate Najee's 14 receptions. A lesser RB would have dropped more passes. A lesser RB wouldn't have received 14 receptions in the first place. A lesser RB might be in a RBBC and only seen 5 targets. No, I'll count those 14 receptions and give credit where credit is due: To Najee.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:56 am

Anteaters wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:44 am I won't take those receptions away. The NFL says they count, so they count in my estimation, too. Every big game for a player has something about it that was unusual. We don't take away Derrick Henry's 80 yard TD runs. We don't take away Gibson's 73 yard TD reception in week 3. We don't take away the 66-yard FG. A high-scoring game by a player is high-scoring BECAUSE he did something unusual.

If we take out all of Lamar Jackson's great plays in 2020, he's be the QB24 on the year. It makes no sense to eliminate Najee's 14 receptions. A lesser RB would have dropped more passes. A lesser RB wouldn't have received 14 receptions in the first place. A lesser RB might be in a RBBC and only seen 5 targets. No, I'll count those 14 receptions and give credit where credit is due: To Najee.
I think you are missig the point, atleast that I was trying to make. It has taken a record setting day in the history of the NFL for Harris to be where he is. If Harris gets to a point when I trust him when he doesn't have an outlier game, I will reconsider. Today I see him as a pedestrian talent in a short term plus situation.