Unpopular Opinion: You will waste your premium 1st round pick on Kyle Pitts.

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Unpopular Opinion: You will waste your premium 1st round pick on Kyle Pitts.

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:24 am

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:26 pm Catching up on the NFL news after being off The Grid for a couple weeks. Wasn't excited to read this (even though it's coach-speak).

Falcons | Kyle Pitts to be used as blocker more Wed Feb 21, 09:18 AM

"Atlanta Falcons TE Kyle Pitts is expected to be used as a blocker more by the new coaching staff. 'We're not oblivious (to what he brings) from a receiving standpoint, so there are a lot of things that you can do to be creative and use his skill set in the pass game,' tight ends coach Kevin Koger said. 'But with him and the way we're going to run the ball and the athleticism he does have, there are a lot of things he can do in the run game to help us out to win football games. You'll see him all over the field, not just out wide but also in the box.'"

Edit: Thinking about this a little more, it might not affect his routes run or targets too much. Might just increase his overall snap count. We'll see.
Might be a good thing. The biggest advantage TE's have is lining up as a blocker and then running a route. I feel like they're wide open 90% of the time they do this. Pitts was sold as a WR playing TE, but in truth he is a mediocre WR the same way Evan Engram was a mediocre WR. The real advantage is using him as a TE, not as a WR.

lic217
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Unpopular Opinion: You will waste your premium 1st round pick on Kyle Pitts.

Postby lic217 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:35 am

If they utilize him as a blocker, then he will be on the field more. He’s effective as a blocker and reciever he can be used more effectively. They know if he’s on the field he may or may not be blocking. I would imagine if anything this will help his target share. I’m guessing Atlanta is going to run the ball a lot and if Pitt is not on the field a lot it’s hard to get target.

BigJoeWall72
Role Player
Role Player

Postby BigJoeWall72 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:00 am

Kirk Cousins to ATL rumors rolling and they are now the heavy Vegas favorite at -225... Should be a Shanahan/McVay tree type offense that Cousins ran in Washington and Minnesota... That could be GREAT for Pitts.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:07 am

Menace2010 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:16 pm A lot folks ended up taking Pitts over Chase though, I landed Chase in one league at 5 and couldn't believe it...
I went back to check my memory, I am not in a single league that Pitts went ahead of Chase.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:47 am

murphysxm wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:07 am
Menace2010 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:16 pm A lot folks ended up taking Pitts over Chase though, I landed Chase in one league at 5 and couldn't believe it...
I went back to check my memory, I am not in a single league that Pitts went ahead of Chase.
He went before chase in one of my leagues, but it is a start 2 TE league with 2TEP.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:00 pm

McCafsteez wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:42 am Can anyone please name a TE that translated instantly into the NFL? This Kyle Pitts hype is out of control. This post is merely a "flag plant" so we can all look back and remember that "I told you so". The only way Pitts should be taken in the first round is if you have the depth to let him sit and develop for a few years on your bench.

/End Rant
Really looking forward to the Brock Bowers edition of this thread. 8-)

/Where's the consistency

Menace2010
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Menace2010 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:04 pm

CGW wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:47 am
murphysxm wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:07 am
Happened in two of my leagues. Both drafts were in the middle of the "Chase is dropping balls left and right" crazy training camp season. Also, given the number of teams, folks regularly reach for RBs, which also mistakenly bumped him down.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:25 pm

mild wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:00 pm
McCafsteez wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:42 am Can anyone please name a TE that translated instantly into the NFL? This Kyle Pitts hype is out of control. This post is merely a "flag plant" so we can all look back and remember that "I told you so". The only way Pitts should be taken in the first round is if you have the depth to let him sit and develop for a few years on your bench.

/End Rant

/Where's the consistency
Yep. I said it somewhere in the beginning of this thread, but buying a TE that high in rookie drafts rarely works.

You know what does work? Buying low on talented TEs post-hype or drafting them later in rookie drafts.

- What was Tre McBride going for a few years ago?
- Sam LaPorta was a late 2nd-third rounder in 1QB drafts last year.
- There was a buy low window on TJ Hockenson before he got out of Detroit.

I could keep going. Pitts is in that stage right now and the window is starting to close. If Atlanta upgrades big at QB with Cousins, he's going to have a big year. Remember what Cousins did for Jordan Reed? TJ Hockenson? Everywhere Cousins goes, players break out in fantasy.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:35 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:25 pm
mild wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:00 pm

/End Rant

/Where's the consistency
Yep. I said it somewhere in the beginning of this thread, but buying a TE that high in rookie drafts rarely works.

You know what does work? Buying low on talented TEs post-hype or drafting them later in rookie drafts.

- What was Tre McBride going for a few years ago?
- Sam LaPorta was a late 2nd-third rounder in 1QB drafts last year.
- There was a buy low window on TJ Hockenson before he got out of Detroit.

I could keep going. Pitts is in that stage right now and the window is starting to close. If Atlanta upgrades big at QB with Cousins, he's going to have a big year. Remember what Cousins did for Jordan Reed? TJ Hockenson? Everywhere Cousins goes, players break out in fantasy.
So true. I got Ferguson off the WW and he was TE9 in my PPR last year, 5 points behind McBride. Though I am probably going to be a sucker for Bowers at 1.06 in my Superflex TEP league.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:48 am

wickerkat1212 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:35 pm So true. I got Ferguson off the WW and he was TE9 in my PPR last year, 5 points behind McBride. Though I am probably going to be a sucker for Bowers at 1.06 in my Superflex TEP league.
Bowers might bust as a FF asset. But if he goes to a decent situation the smart move in TEP is to draft him in that range (~1.06). Even with a light TEP (0.5) TE is elevated tremendously. For '23 6 out of the top 24 pass catchers were TEs in 0.5. (8 out of 36). A TE doesn't need to be elite to be highly relevant in TEP. What might not be obvious is that TEP also makes TEs much more viable as flex options again increasing their value.

I get the historical arguments against taking TE early in rookie drafts. It's hard to ignore. I can certainly see punting on Bowers in a regular PPR league especially if there are a lot of starters. But the risk/reward calculus is different with any level of TEP. It makes rolling the dice the right move IMHO.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:03 am

tstafford wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:48 am
wickerkat1212 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:35 pm So true. I got Ferguson off the WW and he was TE9 in my PPR last year, 5 points behind McBride. Though I am probably going to be a sucker for Bowers at 1.06 in my Superflex TEP league.
Bowers might bust as a FF asset. But if he goes to a decent situation the smart move in TEP is to draft him in that range (~1.06). Even with a light TEP (0.5) TE is elevated tremendously. For '23 6 out of the top 24 pass catchers were TEs in 0.5. (8 out of 36). A TE doesn't need to be elite to be highly relevant in TEP. What might not be obvious is that TEP also makes TEs much more viable as flex options again increasing their value.

I get the historical arguments against taking TE early in rookie drafts. It's hard to ignore. I can certainly see punting on Bowers in a regular PPR league especially if there are a lot of starters. But the risk/reward calculus is different with any level of TEP. It makes rolling the dice the right move IMHO.
Exactly. If it wasn't TEP I'd go Odunze and not think twice, targeting a TE later, like Johnson or Sinnott, etc.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:42 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:24 am
Shoreline Steamers wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:26 pm Catching up on the NFL news after being off The Grid for a couple weeks. Wasn't excited to read this (even though it's coach-speak).

Falcons | Kyle Pitts to be used as blocker more Wed Feb 21, 09:18 AM

"Atlanta Falcons TE Kyle Pitts is expected to be used as a blocker more by the new coaching staff. 'We're not oblivious (to what he brings) from a receiving standpoint, so there are a lot of things that you can do to be creative and use his skill set in the pass game,' tight ends coach Kevin Koger said. 'But with him and the way we're going to run the ball and the athleticism he does have, there are a lot of things he can do in the run game to help us out to win football games. You'll see him all over the field, not just out wide but also in the box.'"

Edit: Thinking about this a little more, it might not affect his routes run or targets too much. Might just increase his overall snap count. We'll see.
Might be a good thing. The biggest advantage TE's have is lining up as a blocker and then running a route. I feel like they're wide open 90% of the time they do this. Pitts was sold as a WR playing TE, but in truth he is a mediocre WR the same way Evan Engram was a mediocre WR. The real advantage is using him as a TE, not as a WR.
Pitts being in line more will give him more mismatches. He CAN be used as a WR, but one of the issues, IMO, is he's used that way TOO often. Get him on safeties and LB's. You split him out, he's going to get a corner more often.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Oddball456
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Oddball456 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:40 am

With Kapt Kirk tossing the rock, going to put Pitts 2024 line at 1300 yards on 115 catches with 12 TDs. Becomes the dynasty TE1 by end of Oct.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:01 pm

Oddball456 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:40 am With Kapt Kirk tossing the rock, going to put Pitts 2024 line at 1300 yards on 115 catches with 12 TDs. Becomes the dynasty TE1 by end of Oct.
I love Pitts as a talent.

But he's never scored more than 3 TD's in a season.

Even in his best year, his 1000yd Rookie one, with Matt Ryan - he scored 1 TD.

Until he shows us he's a RZ threat... I would encourage you to stop smoking crack before doing your projections. :D

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:02 pm

mild wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:01 pm
Oddball456 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:40 am With Kapt Kirk tossing the rock, going to put Pitts 2024 line at 1300 yards on 115 catches with 12 TDs. Becomes the dynasty TE1 by end of Oct.
I love Pitts as a talent.

But he's never scored more than 3 TD's in a season.

Even in his best year, his 1000yd Rookie one, with Matt Ryan - he scored 1 TD.

Until he shows us he's a RZ threat... I would encourage you to stop smoking crack before doing your projections. :D
yep mix it up... try crystal meth this time
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Willis, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Demercado, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 2.02
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5