General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: The Dak Prescott Thread - Gets A New Deal

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:05 am

Eight7Seven wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:41 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:49 am
Eight7Seven wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:48 pm I feel like I'm a QB away from contending with the first team in my signature. Thinking about making an offer for Dak.

Would the 1.08 & 2.07 be enough? Or Maybe the 1.05 & 3.05? I also have the 1.04 but I'd really like to keep that. His team has a pretty big need for wide receivers, especially young ones. But my team is definitely running back heavy, I don't really have any receivers in the right range.

I would decline with no counter. No chance I'd give up Dak for either of those offers. Dak is a top 10 QB consistently, and is still fairly young as QB's go. There's no chance I'm moving him for a single first and change.
That's kind of where my heads at, I don't think I'm willing to invest much more than this in him though. He's giving off Carson Wentz type red flags. Only reason he's the top of my radar is that he's the QB3 on his team and the rest of the roster seems like it's headed towards a rebuild (His owner has Tua and Fields). Thanks for the feedback.
No worries. Curious how you think he compares to Carson, though? I don't see the two as alike at all.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:54 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:05 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:49 am

I would decline with no counter. No chance I'd give up Dak for either of those offers. Dak is a top 10 QB consistently, and is still fairly young as QB's go. There's no chance I'm moving him for a single first and change.
That's kind of where my heads at, I don't think I'm willing to invest much more than this in him though. He's giving off Carson Wentz type red flags. Only reason he's the top of my radar is that he's the QB3 on his team and the rest of the roster seems like it's headed towards a rebuild (His owner has Tua and Fields). Thanks for the feedback.
No worries. Curious how you think he compares to Carson, though? I don't see the two as alike at all.
Yea, Dak had a tough year with turnovers and while a lot o them were not his fault; He owned everyone, works hard, and by all accounts his team mates and coaches love the guy. He just can't throw the deep out very good at all anymore.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Eight7Seven
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Eight7Seven » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:23 pm

It's just tangential stuff really but I'll share where my head at. I didn't believe in either Carson Wentz or Dak Prescott as prospects. Then they both had very solid rookie performances, which they improved upon for their first couple of seasons. Injuries started stacking up, and they seemingly started to regress mentally, turning the ball over more, missing easier passes, holding the ball longer and taking more sacks.

This is all just my impression though, I haven't taking a deep dive into Dak's game film/stats as I've never owned him anywhere. Just what I've noticed from the games I've watched over the last couple seasons have reminded me of Wentz.
Team One: Children of the Light
12 Team PPR- Superflex- Dynasty - Start 9

QB: Herbert, Watson, Young, Cousins
HB: Bijan, Etienne, J.Jacobs, Najee, D.Harris, J.Ford
WR: Olave, Smith-Njigba, Pittman, Jeudy, Jameson, A.Cooper, Cooks, P.Cambell, T.Marshall, Boutte (T.S.)
TE: Hockenson, Kmet, L.Schoonmaker, Likely (T.S.)
Picks: 2024 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd & 3rd

Team Two: One Nation
12 Team IDP- PPR- Superflex- Dynasy - 8 Offensive Starters- 1 DL, 1 EDR, 2 LB, 2 DB, 1DP (DL/LB/DB)

QB: Mahomes, Love, Lance, Purdy
HB: Chubb, Etienne, Akers, Dillion, J.Cook, P.Strong (T.S.), Z.White (T.S.)
WR: Waddle, Jameson, A.Cooper, “Bayou”.Michael.Thomas, Pickens, T.Marshall
TE: Waller, I.Smith.Jr, Otton (T.S.)
LB: D.Lloyd, Q.Walker, D.Long, J.Baker, J.Jewel
DB: J.Chinn, J.Pitre, J.Brisker
DL/ER: S.Hubbard, K.Mack, K.Paye
Picks: '23 1.05, 1.07, 1.12 & 3.07

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:43 pm

Ice wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:54 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:05 am

I still wonder if he came back from his hand injury too soon. Jerry was really pushing for him to be back, and he was back ahead of the initial timeline. May have been too soon.
Yea, Dak had a tough year with turnovers and while a lot o them were not his fault; He owned everyone, works hard, and by all accounts his team mates and coaches love the guy. He just can't throw the deep out very good at all anymore.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

mild
Legend
Legend

Re: Dak Gets A New Deal

Postby mild » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:36 pm

mild wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:20 am The true genius of this deal is that he has "no trade" and "no tag" clauses built into it. Not only did he get his 4 year contract (Dallas were trying for a legitimate 5 year deal, Dak consistently held firm on 4) when he's through with it he'll be 31, and non-taggable.

So if the cap does indeed balloon in the 3rd and 4th year like the numbers on the contract seem to suggest Jerry thinks it will - then Dak is going to be capable of an even bigger 2nd contract that will blow our minds all over again. Good for him. 8-)
And here we are, four years later.

Per Ian Rapoport:
The #Cowboys and QB Dak Prescott have a mutual understanding of his contract situation, sources say, with no offers from Dallas despite him being in a contract year. Owner Jerry Jones said, “We are where we are, locked and loaded for this year.”

No indication a deal is coming.
And further from Adam Schefter:
"The Cowboys are in a situation with Dak Prescott going into the last year of his deal...

If he leaves after this year the dead money cap charge is $95M that they'd have to spread out...

If he becomes a free agent next year there will be no shortage of suitors" ~ @AdamSchefter
Jerry Jones and the Cowboys really plan to let Dak test true Free Agency next year, huh?

In the same offense that he just had a career year in, and was borderline considered an MVP candidate at points of the season... and now he's in a "prove it" year?

Hmmmm. :think:

Enjoy this one, non-Cowboys fans. It's gonna be a goodie no matter which way it plays out. :lol:

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:28 am

mild wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:36 pmEnjoy this one, non-Cowboys fans. It's gonna be a goodie no matter which way it plays out. :lol:
I can see Dak as Stafford's replacement in McVay's system in LA in 2025. Imagine Jerry watching Dak-to-Puka for a record setting season!
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:49 am

Anteaters wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:28 am
mild wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:36 pmEnjoy this one, non-Cowboys fans. It's gonna be a goodie no matter which way it plays out. :lol:
I can see Dak as Stafford's replacement in McVay's system in LA in 2025. Imagine Jerry watching Dak-to-Puka for a record setting season!
For sure! The possibility of a record setting by cap hit too! Da’boys seem stuck
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Willis, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Demercado, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 2.02
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:11 am

The Cowboys are smart to let this play out. Dak is a very good QB and still pretty young in QB years, turning 31 in July but he is very expensive and Dallas has young studs that need to get to get paid.

I could see them transitioning to an affordable QB model like the 49's or a host of young teams with first contract QB's.

I imagine they want to see a healthy productive year before they even think about giving him huge money again.

Dak will get a Cousins type deal next year and it could come from Dallas but I don't see them paying at the top of the market again for Dak unless he wins a title this year.

Will be interesting for sure.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:49 am

Dak will get 60-70MM on the open market. QBs of his caliber almost never come available as unrestricted free agents. Brady and Manning are obviously the best ones, but they prioritized landing spot. Dak seems to prioritize the money (I would too) like Cousins, but he’s better and younger than Kirk and some team will pay him handsomely.

What’ll follow after his deal is a wave of new QB extensions at or above what he signs for by QBs who are better than him but signed extensions with their teams at salaries that were a touch higher than the highest QB deal at the time.

It happened at WR after the Christian Kirk deal. I think it’ll happen at QB after the Dak deal. The free market will adjust.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:44 pm

Ice wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:11 am The Cowboys are smart to let this play out. Dak is a very good QB and still pretty young in QB years, turning 31 in July but he is very expensive and Dallas has young studs that need to get to get paid.
Disclaimer: Ice is a Cowboys fan. (/apologist)

I'm not sure how you can chalk up any part of how Dallas has played the Dak contracts as smart. Even right now: Dak holds every bit of the leverage over them. They can't trade him. They can't tag him. They can't make him take a below-market rate. He can point to the recent mega-extensions by Lamar, Herbert, Burrow, and Kirk's FA deal from the Falcons at age 35 coming off an achilles.

He's got them by the nuts.

Dragging their heels on his initial extension (as greatly detailed in this thread) already cost them dearly, and the damage isn't even fully done yet.

He's already holding a 55 million cap hold on them for this season - which has completely hamstrung their ability to do anything in FA this offseason. If he leaves next year in FA, that number is 40 million in dead cap.

So they need to extend him, something they claim they are trying to do. It's going to hang over them like a cloud until it gets done, and it's going to dominate the press cycles like nobodies business. (The media LOVES a QB controversy in Big D)

And if it doesn't get done - then they are pretty much waving the white flag on the next 3 years, given that this is likely a Playoff Team in 2024 (ie. too late for a QB pick) and then who knows for 2025 (tank year?) and then finally (hopefully?) getting Ceedee Lamb's new rookie QB in 2026.

Either way: by not being able to improve the team this offseason, it feels like the Cowboys have already committed to being back in the Middle Class of the NFC. A good team, but not a great one on the level of the 49ers or the Packers. :thumbup:

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 am

:boohoo:
mild wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:44 pm
Ice wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:11 am The Cowboys are smart to let this play out. Dak is a very good QB and still pretty young in QB years, turning 31 in July but he is very expensive and Dallas has young studs that need to get to get paid.
Disclaimer: Ice is a Cowboys fan. (/apologist)

I'm not sure how you can chalk up any part of how Dallas has played the Dak contracts as smart. Even right now: Dak holds every bit of the leverage over them. They can't trade him. They can't tag him. They can't make him take a below-market rate. He can point to the recent mega-extensions by Lamar, Herbert, Burrow, and Kirk's FA deal from the Falcons at age 35 coming off an achilles.

He's got them by the nuts.

Dragging their heels on his initial extension (as greatly detailed in this thread) already cost them dearly, and the damage isn't even fully done yet.

He's already holding a 55 million cap hold on them for this season - which has completely hamstrung their ability to do anything in FA this offseason. If he leaves next year in FA, that number is 40 million in dead cap.

So they need to extend him, something they claim they are trying to do. It's going to hang over them like a cloud until it gets done, and it's going to dominate the press cycles like nobodies business. (The media LOVES a QB controversy in Big D)

And if it doesn't get done - then they are pretty much waving the white flag on the next 3 years, given that this is likely a Playoff Team in 2024 (ie. too late for a QB pick) and then who knows for 2025 (tank year?) and then finally (hopefully?) getting Ceedee Lamb's new rookie QB in 2026.

Either way: by not being able to improve the team this offseason, it feels like the Cowboys have already committed to being back in the Middle Class of the NFC. A good team, but not a great one on the level of the 49ers or the Packers. :thumbup:
Dak is entering his 9th season. He is 2-5 in the playoffs with 14 TD's and 7 picks in those games.

I never said Dallas was smart in how they handled past contracts but they are smart in waiting to see if Dak rises above this year.

Buying in the media hype that Dallas is worse for letting old or non starters leave is ridiculous if one thinks about FA in general. Rarely do teams let high impact young talent walk. Dallas is no different in they want to build and sign their talent. Even more rare is a team signing a high dollar FA and winning a title the following year. Tyron Smith is a good example. He is entering his 14th season. He hasn't played more than 13 games in a season since 2015. He has only played in 30 games the last 4 years combined. Last year they drafted his replacement in the first round. Dallas is tight against the Cap so swinging on other teams rejects isn't a great plan this year. They already went down the path of signing older RB's to big contracts with Zeke so they certainly are not going to make that mistake again given the diminished value of the position. Pollard wasn't nearly as good last year as the year before. They will just draft a back in round 2 or 3 most likely. The biggest addition for Dallas will be getting their stud Corner back this season.

Dak definitely won the last negotiation but if he wants to win the next go around with Dallas he is going to have to prove it by winning in the playoffs and stay healthy in the process.

Dallas will address the O Line again in the draft and pick up a young quality RB in the draft. This plan will help them allocate resources for players like Parson's and Lamb where Dallas holds the leverage.

Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result is insanity. Dallas is now wanting to see a different result from Dak or they will move on. Doesn't mean Dak isn't good or some other team will take a bite of the apple but it does mean Dallas is not going to commit hundreds of millions to Dak again if he can't at least get to the NFC championship game.

No one has to be a fan or an apologist to see very basic business thinking given 8 years of history with Dak, the better than average QB. Dallas is already testing the waters which is why they traded for Lance hoping he will develop in a similar fashion like Love has in GB. While he probably won't it was a signal that Dallas is getting impatient with Dak Prescott.

We all understand if he was Mahomes he would already be signed but he simply hasn't shown that in the biggest games on a consistent basis.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:31 am

It appears Dallas is pretty much in a no win situation. Dak's current contract was a win for Dak and also set himself up that he will also be winning with this contract. He has all the leverage. I am on mild's side here
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:06 pm

murphysxm wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:31 am It appears Dallas is pretty much in a no win situation. Dak's current contract was a win for Dak and also set himself up that he will also be winning with this contract. He has all the leverage. I am on mild's side here
It is not about a side or even leverage if you really think about it. Either you really believe Dak is worth a long term contract in the 60 plus million range TODAY or you don't.

The Cowboys don't need to sign him today and it looks like Dak will need a great year to get his money from Dallas or another team.

Dallas appears at the moment to want to see if Dak is the long term answer. Through the first 8 years, Dallas has won a lot of games but come playoff time Dak has had some pretty bad games and he only has 2 wins in crunch time.

Personally, I hope he plays great and Dallas wins the SB. Then the most valuable franchise in the world will give him his money and everyone will be happy. Dallas has one of the best rosters in football so there is hope but in reality there are lots of good teams out there and it looks like several have better QB's.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:44 pm

Dallas takes Penix in the 1st round at 24, and then if Dak doesn't earn a new contract with his play they reset the clock with a QB on his rookie deal. That's my hawt-take! 8-)
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:32 pm

Ice wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:06 pm The Cowboys don't need to sign him today and it looks like Dak will need a great year to get his money from Dallas or another team.
Absolute nonsense.

Kirk Cousins just got 180 million from the Falcons at age 35 coming off a torn achilles. Frankly, about as bad of a year as you could have as a professional quarterback. The Falcons still gave him the contract he desired because they hold a belief that Kirk can still play like he did 2 years ago, and like he did for his healthy games in 2023.

You're acting like the league isn't rabid for competent QB play, and like Dak wouldn't be the best QB to hit FA since... I legitimately can't think of the last one, it's such a rarity that a Top 12-15 guy becomes available with true Free Agency. Perhaps Kirk the first time around when he escaped Washington at age 29, and negotiated a six year fully guaranteed contract?

Dak is going to get his regardless of how it goes this year. You can take that to the bank.