Derek Carr Thread: King of the Underrated QBs

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Snake
Role Player
Role Player

Derek Carr Thread: King of the Underrated QBs

Postby Snake » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:31 pm

All starting QBs are relevant to those of us in 2 QB and superflex leagues. What are your thoughts on Derek Carr now that he has been named the 2014 starter? Does he have the potential to be a QB2 on your team for years to come? Is he just the most recent edition of the lackluster QBs the Raiders have had over the past 10 years?

MucBuc
Captain
Captain

Re: Derek Carr: Buy, Hold or Sell?

Postby MucBuc » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:36 pm

Not playing in 2QB or Superflex leagues, but in 32 teamers, I'm holding him for now. Too early to buy. If you intend to sell, you could start to shop him next week. The Jets have no CBs, so he could actually post a decent stat line there.
3x teams in 32-team standard PPR + IDP leagues

It doesn't matter what we want. Once we get it, we want something else.

RavingLunatic
Starter
Starter

Postby RavingLunatic » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:49 pm

This is clearly not the highest his value can go, so there's no way he's a sell unless you really just hate the guy and think he will suck as soon as he hits the field... personally I can't see his value staying lower than several starters like Geno or Manuel

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:29 pm

RavingLunatic wrote:This is clearly not the highest his value can go, so there's no way he's a sell unless you really just hate the guy and think he will suck as soon as he hits the field... personally I can't see his value staying lower than several starters like Geno or Manuel
/

you may want to check w/ the manuel owners that didn't sell him this time last year to see if carr's value could be lower
the organization is a mess their recent track record with qbs is horrific and the kid looked to have nervous feet at times in college he could end up with the carrwreck syndrome like his older brother by halloween

sell sell sell
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:29 pm

Sell after the Jets game - assuming he torches the non existent secondary like he should.

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:38 pm

clarion contrarion wrote:
RavingLunatic wrote:This is clearly not the highest his value can go, so there's no way he's a sell unless you really just hate the guy and think he will suck as soon as he hits the field... personally I can't see his value staying lower than several starters like Geno or Manuel
/

you may want to check w/ the manuel owners that didn't sell him this time last year to see if carr's value could be lower
the organization is a mess their recent track record with qbs is horrific and the kid looked to have nervous feet at times in college he could end up with the carrwreck syndrome like his older brother by halloween

sell sell sell
His older brother never had a chance.

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Postby Water Buffalo » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:31 pm

The answer to this question is really always the same. Depends on the situation, depends on what it would cost you to acquire him, and depends on what you could sell him for.

He has a chance to be a QB2, certainly. He also has a chance to completely bust. I like him more than the complete trash Oakland has been throwing out there for god knows how long, that's for sure, but that's also not saying much. I think Oakland's receiving situation is actually a tiny bit under rated though, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him have at least moderate early success.

MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MARKinMI » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:47 pm

When Carr was drafted in May it was as the Raiders QB of the future. The future is just happening quicker than some might have thought. He could easily be in the conversation for Best QB in this class when look back on it in 5 years. Honestly i think that distinction will be between Bortles and Carr. So if you were willing to draft him to your dynasty team a few months ago why would you sell him now? David his brother, is on record as saying Derek is a better QB than he was when he was drafted no1 overall. Plus Carr flat out won this job, he wasnt handed it on a silver platter.

SteelerFan10
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby SteelerFan10 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:24 pm

Would you accept Michael Floyd for him in a 2 QB league? My only other QBs are Rodgers, Tannehill, Locker, and McCarron.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:27 pm

SteelerFan10 wrote:Would you accept Michael Floyd for him in a 2 QB league? My only other QBs are Rodgers, Tannehill, Locker, and McCarron.
Yes. Yes I would.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:05 pm

SteelerFan10 wrote:Would you accept Michael Floyd for him in a 2 QB league? My only other QBs are Rodgers, Tannehill, Locker, and McCarron.
Yes. Soon.

jamesorr1
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby jamesorr1 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:57 pm

Run, don't walk!
14 Team .4 PPR IDP Dynasty Salary Cap
30 Man Roster
Start: QB RB WR WR TE FLEX FLEX 2xLB 1xDB
6 points for all TD's
QB: Winston/Geno
RB: DMartin/Ivory/Helu/Riddick/CMike/Dunbar/Rainey/Josh Robinson/Karlos Wiliiams
WR: Hopkins/Evans/Edelman/VJax/Crabtree/Hankerson/TLockett/
BColeman/JHardy/Smelter/Pryor
Te JCameron/Larry Donnell/Housler
Lb J.Jenkins/Weatherspoon/JMcClain
Db Adam Jones/Shamarko

MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MARKinMI » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:07 am

Yes, given that you already have 3 startable QBs I'd sell him for Floyd

henry1jg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby henry1jg » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:04 am

Carr is a hold for those who have him. There is no reason to sell at this time. Carr has a cannon of an arm, but is otherwise a relative unknown. Give him time and we'll see wat he's capable of.

I personally don't know much about Carr and I do not have him in any leagues. I hope he is able to get Oakland out of the dumpster fire they've been apart of for the last decade.
Barrow Snowmen- 14 team - 0.5 PPR, IDP - Yr 19
Jacksonville Jaguars - 32 team - Real GM - Yr 13
Barrow Snowmen #2 - 14 team - SF, PPR - Yr 2
Jimmy Graham Cracker wrote:Don't let your recency bias affect your judgment.

kenadams
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby kenadams » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:29 pm

What's carrs trade value at the moment assuming the hype train is rolling