AJ Brown or DJ Moore?

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: AJ Brown or DJ Moore?

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:28 pm

Cowboysfan33 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:18 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:16 pm
steelman wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:55 pm

Of course it's a QB issue. There's no such thing as being situation proof for a WR.

Were people actually doubting DJM's ability? If they were they aren't actually watching him play and have no business commenting.
Lol not to sound rude but go back and read the thread. A lot of people have said that Robby must be better since Teddy was locked in on him
Yeah, there were a couple of posters on these boards saying that Anderson was as good as Moore, which anyone that watches any football would know that’s nuts. Moore like any other WR needs targets, it’s kinda how it all works for fantasy football.
I mean 2 years ago, people were saying the same thing about Curtis Samuel, that he was just as good as Moore

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:46 pm

steelman wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:55 pm

Of course it's a QB issue. There's no such thing as being situation proof for a WR.

Were people actually doubting DJM's ability? If they were they aren't actually watching him play and have no business commenting.
Lol not to sound rude but go back and read the thread. A lot of people have said that Robby must be better since Teddy was locked in on him
Yeah, there were a couple of posters on these boards saying that Anderson was as good as Moore, which anyone that watches any football would know that’s nuts. Moore like any other WR needs targets, it’s kinda how it all works for fantasy football.
But unless they get those targets then it doesn’t matter how talented a player is. Ranking someone solely based on their talent is foolish without taking their situation into consideration - something that many DJM believers do with ease. I don’t think Carolina with Bridgewater at QB was ever a situation that was capable of producing a top 5 WR.
The Handle Formerly Known as "The Godwin Complex"

broncohead
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby broncohead » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:48 pm

The Godwin Complex wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:46 pm

But unless they get those targets then it doesn’t matter how talented a player is. Ranking someone solely based on their talent is foolish without taking their situation into consideration - something that many DJM believers do with ease. I don’t think Carolina with Bridgewater at QB was ever a situation that was capable of producing a top 5 WR.
Situations change fairly quickly in the nfl. Betting on talent over situation every time for me.
48 team, 4 copy league, QB, RB, WR, WR, TE, SF, 4 flex
QB - Wentz, Tannehill, Mayfield, Jones, Alex Smith
RB - Chubb, Hunt, Swift, Akers, Henderson, Mostert, Mack, Bowden, Hill
WR - AJ Brown, DJ Moore, Gabriel Davis, Slayton, Hamler, Isabella
TE - Fant, Burton, Firkser, Keene, Okuegbunam
2021 Draft - 1.09, 3rd

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:17 pm

broncohead wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:48 pm
The Godwin Complex wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:46 pm

Situations change fairly quickly in the nfl. Betting on talent over situation every time for me.
But we only apply that logic to certain players we like.

You can say the same about Juju, but I don’t see anybody still touting him as a top 5 dynasty WR...and by gosh he actually already produced an impressive 111-1400-7 year at 21 years old. Situations change in the NFL, but that doesn’t necessarily always mean for the better - if and when that change actually happens.
Last edited by The MAC Machine on Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Postby hoos89 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:25 pm

JuJu's big year was with huge volume and an all-time great WR drawing bracket coverage. He followed it up with a just awful season...there's absolutely no comparison between that season and any DJM season.

JuJu also isn't even in a bad situation right now. People don't put him in the top 5 because they consider him an NFL WR2.
Team 1: 2012-2016
2013 Champion, 2012 Runner-Up

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
2021 Champion, 2020 Runner-up
Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
JT, Ekeler, Mostert, Javonte, Chuba, D. Harris, M. Carter, J. Hill, Spiller
Chase, AJB, Amon-Ra, Aiyuk, Olave, DJM, Dell
Andrews, McBride, Engram
IR(3): Chubb, M. Williams, Rodgers
Taxi(4): J. Palmer, Tolbert, T. Palmer
2024 Picks: 3, 4, 5

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
2021 Champion, 2022 Runner-up
Jackson, Love, Tannehill, Z. Wilson
Barkley, Mixon, Mostert, J. Wilson, CEH, Gaskin, J. Hill
J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
Kelce, Dissly, Hooper
2024 Picks: 1

steelman
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby steelman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:05 pm

JJ is in a high scoring offence but both Johnson and Claypool have passed him. He's clearly not as good as he appeared to be in 2018 when he had the best WR in the league across from him and no one else to take targets away. As soon as AB left, he crumpled. Now with Ben back and slinging it, 2 other guys are proving to be better than him.

Juju's talent was never as good as his production in 2018. DJM is having the opposite problem, he's not getting targets, but when he does, he produces. His numbers are still pretty damn good considering how few targets he's getting
Last edited by steelman on Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:59 pm

steelman wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:05 pm JJ is in a high scoring offence but both Johnson and Claypool have passed him. He's clearly not as good as he appeared to be in his rookie year when he had the best WR in the league across from him and no one else to take targets away. As soon as AB left, he crumpled. Now with Ben back and slinging it, 2 other guys are proving to be better than him.

Juju's talent was never as good as his production during his rookie year. DJM is having the opposite problem, he's not getting targets, but when he does, he produces. His numbers are still pretty damn good considering how few targets he's getting
My point is that people are saying that Juju caught 111 passes on 166 targets for 1400 yards and yet is somehow “less talented” because he did it opposite of AB. How does that make him less talented than DJ Moore, someone who is expected to produce 100+ catches on 150+ targets for 1400+ yards IF he gets the targets or IF the situation changes. With DJM there are so many IFs looking forward.... and with Juju there are BUTs .....

The reality is Jujus talent and situation has at one point produced near elite numbers, whereas DJMs talent and situation has only produced decent numbers. To me it just begs the question...”how much better does DJMs situation have to improve to produce what is expected?”. Personally, I think there would need to be a dramatic change. DJM would need a better QB and another huge threat opposite of him to put up top 5 numbers and I don’t see that happening.

I just don’t understand how we can say “If DJM gets X, Y, Z” and yet look at someone like Juju and not apply the same....

steelman
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby steelman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:20 pm

Juju is in a great situation already. What more can a guy want than a high powered passing attack that scores a lot? He simply is being outplayed by 2 other guys that are less exerienced than he is. Juju put up such big numbers his rookie year because he was being protected by the guy on the other side. AB was drawing the best corner and was often doubled. Juju benefited from that.

DJM has never been part of a high powered passing offence and has only had mediocre QB's so far in his career. Despite that he had a pretty good year last year and is having another good year this year. It's not as if he's struggling, he's not, but his receptions per game is way down from last year. The only other stat that's down from last year is his catch percentage. So either he forgot how to catch the ball or the quality of passes he's seeing has gone down. He's actually better this year than last, the only difference is the lack of receptions. He's getting 25% less receptions per game, a lower catch percentage and his yards per game is down only a small amount. He already has the same number of TD's he had last year too.

Put DJM on a high powered offence and he would be among the leagues best fantasy WR's. He's putting up pretty good numbers in a crappy offence with a crappy QB. He has almost half the receptions Adams and Hopkins do

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:14 am

steelman wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:20 pm Juju is in a great situation already. What more can a guy want than a high powered passing attack that scores a lot? He simply is being outplayed by 2 other guys that are less exerienced than he is. Juju put up such big numbers his rookie year because he was being protected by the guy on the other side. AB was drawing the best corner and was often doubled. Juju benefited from that.

DJM has never been part of a high powered passing offence and has only had mediocre QB's so far in his career. Despite that he had a pretty good year last year and is having another good year this year. It's not as if he's struggling, he's not, but his receptions per game is way down from last year. The only other stat that's down from last year is his catch percentage. So either he forgot how to catch the ball or the quality of passes he's seeing has gone down. He's actually better this year than last, the only difference is the lack of receptions. He's getting 25% less receptions per game, a lower catch percentage and his yards per game is down only a small amount. He already has the same number of TD's he had last year too.

Put DJM on a high powered offence and he would be among the leagues best fantasy WR's. He's putting up pretty good numbers in a crappy offence with a crappy QB. He has almost half the receptions Adams and Hopkins do
I’m not going to spend too much more time responding to your bias. Simply put, you denigrate Juju for having a great year across from AB and then in the same breath denigrate him for having a down year with terrible QBs, and then a solid rebound year across from two of the better young WRs in the game right now. The key is that you are quick to lend DJ Moore with excuses of terrible QB play (when he had Kyle Allen for 13 games), and situation, yet ignore that last year Juju had Mason Rudolph (8 games) and Devlin Hodges (6 games) - considerably worse options, and is now in an offense that is fading him out in a contract year.

There’s no way you can sanely justify ignoring what you’ve seen from Juju for what you hope to see from DJM without admitting bias.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:07 am

The Godwin Complex wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:14 am
steelman wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:20 pm Juju is in a great situation already. What more can a guy want than a high powered passing attack that scores a lot? He simply is being outplayed by 2 other guys that are less exerienced than he is. Juju put up such big numbers his rookie year because he was being protected by the guy on the other side. AB was drawing the best corner and was often doubled. Juju benefited from that.

I’m not going to spend too much more time responding to your bias. Simply put, you denigrate Juju for having a great year across from AB and then in the same breath denigrate him for having a down year with terrible QBs, and then a solid rebound year across from two of the better young WRs in the game right now. The key is that you are quick to lend DJ Moore with excuses of terrible QB play (when he had Kyle Allen for 13 games), and situation, yet ignore that last year Juju had Mason Rudolph (8 games) and Devlin Hodges (6 games) - considerably worse options, and is now in an offense that is fading him out in a contract year.

There’s no way you can sanely justify ignoring what you’ve seen from Juju for what you hope to see from DJM without admitting bias.
I really don't see your point. Are you trying to argue that Kyle Allen is that much better than Rudolph/Hodges? Because DJM actually performed well with subpar QB play whereas Juju disappeared. Situation may change but if you can perform regardless of situation, you're more valuable. That's what everyone is getting at. I mean people are upset with DJMs situation this year because it could be better still yet he's on pace to be a WR2 with over 1250 yards lol

I feel like you are treating these guys year to year and are valuing them closer to redraft. Which in my opinion, is what a lot of people around here do in specific regards to Juju. He's a good football player. Not a top 5 WR that some people wanted him to be when he was 21, but he's also not the scrub that some people want to think he is now. Some people are convinced already that Diontae and Claypool are that much better than him. Juju is a top 20 WR this year. I couldn't tell you how many times I've bought the cheaper PIT WR and sold them later because of this redraft mentality

steelman
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Q

Postby steelman » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:55 am

Bias? The Steelers are my favourite team and Juju is my favourite WR in the league. I love watching him play and hope he remains a Steeler. If anything, the bias is the other way around. I'm just stating facts. DJM has performed really well with poor QB play. He's never been in a high powered offence or had a good QB. He also doesn't have a stud across from him to protect him.

Juju lit up the league in a high powered offence with a gunslinger at QB, with AB across from him and no one else to steal targets. He was in a perfect situation. That needs to be taken into account. He's still a good WR, but he's not a WR1. 2018 was an outlier due to his perfect situation. I'm not ignoring his stats, it's all about putting it into context.

DJM had a great year last year with crappy QB play. He has even worse QB play this year and is still producing really good numbers. His owners just want more because his targets have been limited so far this year. In PPR leagues, DJM is currently a WR1, despite the fact he has had to deal with horrible QB play and serious lack of targets compared to other top WR's. This week was better with Teddy out and as a result he put up 100+ yards. When he gets targeted, he produces big numbers even with poor QB play.

I'm struggling to understand your point. Do you think Juju is better than DJM? Do you think Juju is a WR1? What is your point exactly?

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Postby hoos89 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:13 am

DJM doesn't need an "excuse" for last year...he had a really good year. 1,200 yards from scrimmage in essentially 14 games as a 22 year old is impressive. He did that in spite of poor QB play. Meanwhile...JuJu had 552 yards in 12 games last season. DJM has also shown that he can succeed as an NFL WR1 and JuJu has not.

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
Andrews, McBride, Engram

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
Kelce, Dissly, Hooper

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:27 am

5th in yards while he's 16th in targets and 27th in Receptions. That's really all people are saying. Give him more targets and receptions and he's easily a WR1.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:27 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:27 am 5th in yards while he's 16th in targets and 27th in Receptions. That's really all people are saying. Give him more targets and receptions and he's easily a WR1.
Not sure this is helping. Moore is good but his catch rate is under 58% and he probably leads the league in drop%.

Don't mind the drops so much as a lot of great players drop longer targets but the reality is Anderson catches at a 75% clip and Samuel is over 84%. That production is limiting DJ Moore to high end WR2 but with upside.

If its any consolation to the DJM advocates; AJB and even DK have plenty of drops in their own right.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Postby hoos89 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:39 pm

Ice wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:27 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:27 am 5th in yards while he's 16th in targets and 27th in Receptions. That's really all people are saying. Give him more targets and receptions and he's easily a WR1.
Not sure this is helping. Moore is good but his catch rate is under 58% and he probably leads the league in drop%.

Don't mind the drops so much as a lot of great players drop longer targets but the reality is Anderson catches at a 75% clip and Samuel is over 84%. That production is limiting DJ Moore to high end WR2 but with upside.

If its any consolation to the DJM advocates; AJB and even DK have plenty of drops in their own right.
Yeah was gonna say...feels like AJB has 5+ drops in the last couple games, including a long TD.

Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
Andrews, McBride, Engram

Kelce, Dissly, Hooper