Buy Low/Sell High

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
themburns
Starter
Starter

Re: Sell high, buy low, always

Postby themburns » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:36 am

This is easier said than done. In practice, Tyreek only held that kind of value for approximately 6 months. Championships were won on the back of that production. And, due to a flaw in the marketplace about people not correctly adjusting the value of known abusers, (In the twelve months after treatment, domestic abusers have an ~11% recidivism rate. ~24% are arrested again for the same crime over a 7 year period. And that doesn't count what goes on behind closed doors.) Most players were able to cash out for 60-70% of the previous value before this most recent evidence came to light. This same logic of sell high, buy low might have had you as one of the buyers this time last week.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:40 am

I agree.
I have always lived by this premise and I have never missed the playoffs once between my two leagues.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:45 am

I think the lesson in this one is to never trust players with poor character and off field issues. It always comes back to get you because they've proven they're capable of it.

Buy low, sell high is a good lesson, but you can still get burned in those scenarios.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:53 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:45 am I think the lesson in this one is to never trust players with poor character and off field issues. It always comes back to get you because they've proven they're capable of it.

Buy low, sell high is a good lesson, but you can still get burned in those scenarios.
My head immediately went to this as well. I think this more speaks to the character risks and chance or happening again. Selling high just to sell high can lead you to selling a Hopkins, Julio, or any other player with multiple high output seasons and potentially netting shinny toys, but guys that don't ultimately serve as difference-makers for your roster. It is a good guiding principal, but not something to apply in all scenarios by default. The approach of increasing the risk variable on off-field risk players is one that i think that can serve more rewards and be adhered to more consistently. Following that line, you would want to consider what you're doing with Hunt when he returns, or Joe Mixon, as examples.

Paul717
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Paul717 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:17 am

I picked up Hill for free early in his rookie season. Traded him after his rookie season, for two seconds over 2 years. Clearly, I did not "sell high" because his next 2 years were really really good and he was worth more than that. With the extra picks though I grabbed D. Watson and James Washington. I can live with that, especially now. I guess it would be like selling Bitcoin once it reached 10k instead of waiting until it hit > 19k. Meaning, didn't get peak value but could've been worse if I held all this time. Don't know if that's a good analogy or not? Good post OP.
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Jordan Love, Deshaun Watson
RB: Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kendre Miller, Jaleel McLaughlin, Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn
WR: A.J. Brown, Garrett Wilson, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Michael Wilson, Kendrick Bourne, Tutu Atwell, Allen Lazard, Isaiah Hodgins, Justin Shorter
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Cole Kmet, Kylen Granson
K: Didn't make the playoffs in 2023 :cry: , and don't usually hold one in the offseason
Team DST: Cowboys, Lions

Picks:
2024: 1.06, 2.06, 4.06, 5.06, 6.06, 7.06, 8.06

Disclaimer: My one and only Championship in this league was way back in 2011. Therefore, take my replies with the appropriate grain of salt. :lol:

Johnny Canuck
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Johnny Canuck » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:23 am

As others have said, "sell high" is a great strategy, but sometimes it can harder to see those sell high windows.

I remember even last offseason when some ppl were advocating to "sell high" on Adams (although no one will likely admit it now) thinking he had hit his ceiling...

I think that while simply saying "sell high" is correct, to accurately put the "sell high" philosophy into a more appropriate practice, it should include red flag markers (to avoid misguidedly selling prior to hitting a ceiling and/or selling a perennial top 12 positional player).

Some of the (obvious) markers include:
- Attached QB age (this should be worth like 5pts)
- Attached QB historical production
- Attached QB contract
- Coaching history associated with the player in questions position
- Player in question age
- Player in question contract
- Players historical production
- Average productivity length for a specific position, and age at breakout.
- Yrs in the league prior to breakout
- Draft capital investment
- Same team that drafted them or been moved multiple times
- Oline construction
- Oline contract situations
- Oline overall age
- Historical issues with personal conduct/suspensions (this should be work like 10pts)

Note: I don't just say that the conduct/suspension issues should be higher due to this being a partial Hill thread, these players just have more potential to really burn a roster spot. Hill is just one example, but there are many others to include like Josh Gordon/etc.

These are all the things we (likely) unconsciously consider when evaluating a trade or if to sell a player. But objectively considering some of these factors may change your view point on a particular players value. Obviously some markers matter more than others (QB play/age, player breakout age, coaching, and suspension issues) are among the biggest for me personally regarding red flag evaluations. All in all, I think it's smart to review your teams and see if you want to mitigate some risk.

Like Firemaned said, maybe selling Mixon now wouldn't be the worst idea if you could get a similar level player without the red flags in their past. People can change, and maybe Mixon has, but if you want to mitigate risk moving him would be a prudent move.

IMO, selling for a similar tier'd player plus a little bump is a great move if you want do a partial "sell high." I did this myself this offseason, moving AB for AJG and a 2020 1st.

Others to think about selling, that seem somewhat weird to say, but might be worth considering if you can get a kings ransom are...

1) Kamara = how much longer is Brees going to play (him leaving drastically changes the offensive output of that team), and they just lost their pro bowl center (which makes a bigger difference then most think).
2) Micheal Thomas = see above
3) Jared Cook = see above and he's spooning that age threshold.
4) Mixon = suspension issues in his past, potential rookie QB next yr (could be a good or bad thing), rookie HC.
5) Juju = guy has insane value, but has played with AB taking coverage and mostly out of the slot. Also Ben is getting older, but the new contract helps.
6) Golladay = current valuation is due to rose colored potential glasses, bevell has a very low hit rate at producing high end WRs, played with very little competition last season (now Hockenson competing in RZ, and Marvin back)

These are just a few that might be worth exploring. They prob won't be popular "sell high" candidates, but that is the very reason why they are great "sell high" candidates and you could likely get a massive haul.

FantasyDumDum
Role Player
Role Player

Postby FantasyDumDum » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:29 am

Buy low, sell high seems obvious, and works in an ideal world.

But the other side of the coin is that it is EXTREMELY hard to acquire high end talent in dynasty, so it is at once difficult to buy without having to overpay and difficult to sell even when being offered and overpay
10 team, .5ppr, 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1Flex

QB: Brees, Cousins
RB: CMC, D Williams, Drake, Guice, Penny, RoJo, Breida, I Smith, Edmonds
WR: AB, ARob, Ridley, Jeffery, Shepard, Pettis, Miller, Washington, MVS, Callaway
TE: Kelce, Herndon, Andrews

Taxi Squad:

Picks:
2019 1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10
2020 1, 2, 3, 4

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:20 am

FantasyDumDum wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:29 am Buy low, sell high seems obvious, and works in an ideal world.

But the other side of the coin is that it is EXTREMELY hard to acquire high end talent in dynasty, so it is at once difficult to buy without having to overpay and difficult to sell even when being offered and overpay
Truth. Every leagues' GM makeup and trade attitudes and market are different.

The problem is the 1-2 GMs in lots of leagues who consistently make questionable (being kind) or flat-out stupid (being real) trades to the league's sharks.

Same idea with all the dumpster fire NFL franchises and owners who make it easy for good teams to stay good. Here's looking at you, AFC East. That division's been a clown show besides the Pats for what feels like decades.

In dynasty though, the only option is "can't beat 'em, join 'em" with the sharks or find another league.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:42 am

saw061600 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:09 am There is a lesson to be learned from the current Hill drama; sell high and buy low. We're all really good at trying to buy low, even though we all sometimes buy high. However, I think MOST fantasy owners have a very hard time selling high. We get excited, justifiably so, at having a top asset that can potentially win us the championship (Gurley 2 years ago). But then, we fail to cash out for double the rewards: high draft picks AND quality players.

As soon as Hill started hitting "#1 Fantasy Asset, #1 Fantasy WR" status, owners that follow the sell high buy low belief should have looked to cash out. Apply the lesson to this and future years. If your top asset begins to generate hype that reaches fanatical proportions, sell high and increase roster capital. Get a top 20 WR and pick(s) for that #1 WR.
It's a shame none of your teams have Barkley so we could see if you're willing to put your money where your mouth is :P
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

grandmabetty
Captain
Captain

Postby grandmabetty » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:52 am

So you're saying I should sell JuJu? I did sell kittle this offseason. That should count

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:12 pm

grandmabetty wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:52 am So you're saying I should sell JuJu? I did sell kittle this offseason. That should count
Actually yes. JuJu is a great sell.

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:59 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:19 am You're right, but I'm still not trading Saquon Barkley lol.
My exact thought

A flipside if this is we play to win the ship. If my team is a favorite contender, I'll hold onto guys even when their value is beyond the peak if I think they can help me win this year.

If you're a middle of the pack? Yeah, selling a top 5 stud for value could be your way to climbing out of mediocrity and becoming a contender in a season or two.
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

grandmabetty
Captain
Captain

Postby grandmabetty » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:17 pm

Heres the problem with this. Its much much easier to find where the floor is than it is the ceiling. Have we reached Barkleys ceiling? JuJu's, Evans, Galloday, Adams, Kittle, Mixon, Conner? Any of the other young guys that are full of hype this offseason. Or is the ceiling 2 years from now when their hype is being fulfilled and it looks like the next stop is Cooperstown and FF immortality. There is little risk buying low cause you aren't giving up very much. Personally i think the best approach is to have balance. Or, as someone else mentioned, be a shark amongst fish and then the risk vs reward aspect of trades will be tipped in your favor

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:25 pm

It is also very easy for many fantasy owners to mistake floor with ceiling.
It is not that uncommon for young players to have a career year relatively early; and then people acquire them under the natural assumption of "he will only get better" which is not always the case. It is very possible for players to hit their ceiling early.

saw061600
Legend
Legend

Postby saw061600 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:26 pm

I guess the part that was missed, maybe my post wasn't written well enough, was my inferred belief that Hill was not and never would be "#1 dynasty asset or #1 dynasty WR." If you owned Hill and someone in your league believed he was worth first pick startup, it's time to sell.

Essentially, selling high doesn't mean you sell your proven studs, just because you can make a deal. Instead it's about realizing when a player is getting hyped to an unrealistic level. When trades involving that player are reaching a level of expected future production that is out of line with ADP and rankings, it's time to sell.

So guys that are steady top tier producers are not "sell high" players; they're get out before they're too old or cash out for massive overpay, preferably an overpay that fixes roster issue on top of providing other assets.
10 TM No PPR or waiver 85RST
Herbert Fields Garoppolo Ridder
JT Barkley Etienne Ingram Charb CEH
Evans Aiyuk Dionte Jeudy London JWill GWils EMoore JMyers Mims Moorex2
Andrews Kinkaid Pits Freiermuth
NBosa Quinnen DJJones Clark F-Myers Taylor Graham
Darius Okereke Kendricks DCampbell DJones Baker Kiser Brooks
Adams Simmons Vaccaro Joseph

12 TM .5ppr 45 RST
Herbert Stroud Mayfield
JT Achane Kamara Ford Pacheco Jaleel
AJB DK Godwin Aiyuk Kirk ZJones RMoore Thornton