FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Benching JuJu

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:42 am

thebeast wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:59 am
Goddard wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:08 pm
Phaded wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:43 pm

This is assuming JuJu is a "stud" though.
The production so far indicates that he is.
The production playing #2 to AB with Ben under center indicated that he could be. His production as a #1 with Ben or Rudolph this year does not indicate that he actually is a legitimate #1 option and he is being outplayed by a rookie to date. All this may change, but just sitting around saying Juju is going to be fine without actually questioning it is just another severe case of ownership bias. I would be worried if I valued Juju as my #1 WR.
No he's not. How do you figure that? Less, receptions yards and Fantasy Points for the rookie, and the rookie is certainly not the focal point of the D the way Juju is. The second Ben went down, the prospects for this entire offensive went with it this year. Juju will suffer statistically due to the emphasis D's put on him, and a QB downgrade, who won't try and stick the ball in to him in situations that Ben probably would have. I think Juju is still one of the best young WR's in the league, though.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Mild sauce goes in the trash. Well done steak goes with it.

Habaneros make the best hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

saw061600
Legend
Legend

Postby saw061600 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:50 am

Knew there'd be a bunch of noise on this post. The analytical data says JuJu was and will continue to be a stud. I'm buying everywhere with confidence and happy to do so for a cheaper price.
10 TM No PPR or waiver 85RST
Herbert Fields Garoppolo Ridder
JT Barkley Etienne Ingram Charb CEH
Evans Aiyuk Dionte Jeudy London JWill GWils EMoore JMyers Mims Moorex2
Andrews Kinkaid Pits Freiermuth
NBosa Quinnen DJJones Clark F-Myers Taylor Graham
Darius Okereke Kendricks DCampbell DJones Baker Kiser Brooks
Adams Simmons Vaccaro Joseph

12 TM .5ppr 45 RST
Herbert Stroud Daniels Mayfield
JT Achane Kamara Ford Pacheco Jaleel
AJB DK Godwin Aiyuk Kirk ZJones RMoore Thornton
Hock F-muth
LWilliams Payne Reed Greenard
Bernard Kendricks Warner Baker Williams Tranquil
Budda McKinney Clark Wilson

1-2QB 2-4RB 3-5WR 1-3TE 11OFF/DEF
Herbert Stafford Brock Dobbs
Taylor Jacobs Mattison Kyren Jaleel Ford Bigsby
AJB Diggs Evans Kirk McLaurin Dionte Boyd Renfrow JuJu
Kelce Pitts Deguara
Hutchinson Rousseau Greenard Travon Demarcus
QWilliams EJones TBernard Dean ShaqT Kyzir
Amos Bates Peppers Murray Fitz Clark

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:08 am

Those claiming that JuJu is not a stud and is struggling this year because of defensive attention and being the #1 guy - how much of his struggles can be attributed to QB play?

Even in the first two weeks, with the entire offense struggling, JuJu put up 11 / 162, which extrapolates to 88 / 1,300. And technically he only played 1.5 of those games with Big Ben...
10-team/.5 PPR Q RR WWW TE FF
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

12-team PPR/SF/TEP (+1PPR) Q RR WW TE FFF SF
QB - J. Hurts / D. Prescott / J. Love / B. Nix
RB - J. Taylor / K. Walker / J. Mixon / J. Brooks / D. Singletary / J. McLaughlin
WR - B. Aiyuk / K. Allen / S. Diggs / R. Odunze / X. Worthy / T. Franklin / J. Palmer / G. Davis / R. Doubs
TE - M. Andrews / D. Kincaid

djeternal2
Captain
Captain

Postby djeternal2 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:11 am

If you are a JuJu believe you should be thrilled right now. This season will provide a buy low window similar to the season Nuk had with Brock Lobster.
10 tm ppr 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 Flex, TE, K, TDEF (Yr 6)
QB - Ryan, Wentz
RB - Gurley, A Jones, Cohen, Kerryon, Dam Williams, Duke, I Smith, Armstead, T Carson
WR - AJG, Watkins, ARob, A. Cooper, K Allen, M Williams, Godwin, Callaway, JJAW
TE - Gesicki, I Smith, Herndon, Eifert, Sternberger, Dissly

10 tm TE prem 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, K, 2 DB, 2 DL, 2 LB (Yr 5)
QB - Mahomes, Mayfield, Wentz,
RB - Zeke, Chubb, Kerryon, Duke, Edmonds, B Hill
WR - Nuk, AJG, ARob, JJS, Samuel, MVS, T Smith, D Hamilton, Gallup, K Johnson
TE - Njoku, Eifert, Herndon, I Smith, I Thomas, Moreau
DL - Watt, K Clark, Q Williams
LB - D Jones, D Bush
DB - K Neal, Bell

DLF Early Birds - 16 tm SF (1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 SF
QB - A Rodgers, Darnold, Rosen, M Rudolph, Luck
RB - Damian Williams, J Howard, Duke, AP, Gore
WR - Julio, Golladay, Kirk, Stills, Manny Sanders, N Harry
TE - Jarwin, Gesicki, Boyle, Sprinkle

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:47 am

Who was the #2 in Pitt prior to AB? That WR was playing beside one of the all time best WRs as well, but I don't remember anyone putting up numbers like Juju did last year. This whole notion that AB made him who he was seems a little trivial. And to say that has been proven now after 4 games is even sillier. Lets give the guy a whole season, and maybe wait and see how Rudolph develops. I don't think Juju would be putting up the numbers from last year right now even if AB was still on the team with Rudolph quarterbacking.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:49 am

Hottoddies wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:01 pm
Goddard wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:36 pm 4 games into the season and we're convinced that Juju can't be the #1 guy? The first game against NE where even AB has struggled in the past and known for shutting down team's #1 WRs. And 2.5 games with Mason Rudolph as his QB...let's all just relax. How many other WR2s have put up the kind of numbers he did a year ago? Also, much lesser players are called studs on these forums everyday. I think there's actually a thread about that going on right now.
Well, Godwin comes to mind as a WR2 putting up some pretty good numbers. I personally can't consider Juju a stud until he proves he can be productive without a WR1 drawing most of the attention.
Godwin has been in the league the same amount of time as Juju. Played alongside a very good WR. Still hasn't had the year Juju did a year ago. Maybe this year he will...we'll see.

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:22 am

Okay, let's play the small sample-size game. You took JuJu's four-game stretch here in 2019 as proof that he isn't a stud without Brown. I'll take the first four games of JuJu's career that he played without Brown.

2017, Week 16: 6 / 75 / 1 (7 targets)
2017, Week 17: 9 / 143 / 1 (10 targets)
2017, Week 17: 5 / 37 / 1 (10 targets)
2018, Week 1: 6 / 78 / 0 (8 targets)

That adds to a four-game stretch of 26 / 333 / 3 (35 targets), for a projected 16-game line of 104 / 1,312 / 9 catching 74% of the balls thrown his way. Screams stud to me. Of course, those four games are relatively as arbitrary as the first four games of the season: you can't really extrapolate convincingly off a four-game sample size with major extenuating factors (the loss of Roethlisberger).

But, let's keep playing anyway. Take out the Cincy game and just focus on the first three games of the season (only half of which was with Roethlisberger). He would project for a 16-game stretch of 75 / 1,296 / 5 (70% catch rate). If you told me that Big Ben would play 1 1/2 games this year and that JuJu would finish would those numbers, then I'd take it in a second. He has to be damn good to put up those numbers (and his in-game stats were almost identical with and without Big Ben in the line-up over those first three games).

Bottom line #1) Cherry-picking a four game sample-set with extenuating circumstances gives us nothing conclusive. Not the first four games of 2019 nor the first four games that JuJu played without Brown.

Bottom line #2) JuJu has put up extraordinary numbers his first two years in the league -- extraordinary. It's hard for me to imagine what else a player needs to do to be considered a stud (or, minimally, on the clear and direct path to being called one).
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Mitchell ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), E Moore ('25), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $102

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:41 am

Ill add - juju is 22 years old.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:50 am

Be that as it may but the reality is JuJu had 8 or fewer targets last year 3 times in 16 games.

This year at the quarter pole he has had 4 straight games of 8 or fewer targets.

We can all say anything to bolster a case but for this player 8 or fewer targets is not acceptable based on expectations as a WR1.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:05 am

Ice wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:50 am Be that as it may but the reality is JuJu had 8 or fewer targets last year 3 times in 16 games.

This year at the quarter pole he has had 4 straight games of 8 or fewer targets.

We can all say anything to bolster a case but for this player 8 or fewer targets is not acceptable based on expectations as a WR1.
For sure, but it isn't necessarily the players fault he's being targeted less. The Steelers threw the ball a ridiculous amount last year, and with Rudolph they have obviously tried to make things simple and utilize the running game to minimize his involvement as a first year starter. Had Ben been healthy, I think Juju would be looking at more targets and opportunities. It would be tough for any WR right now in that offense as the number 1.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Mild sauce goes in the trash. Well done steak goes with it.

Habaneros make the best hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:08 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:42 amNo he's not. How do you figure that? Less, receptions yards and Fantasy Points for the rookie, and the rookie is certainly not the focal point of the D the way Juju is. The second Ben went down, the prospects for this entire offensive went with it this year. Juju will suffer statistically due to the emphasis D's put on him, and a QB downgrade, who won't try and stick the ball in to him in situations that Ben probably would have. I think Juju is still one of the best young WR's in the league, though.
Everyone was worried about the Brees to Bridgewater downgrade, but Roethlisberger to Rudolph seems to have had a bigger impact.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:19 am

Benching him would not be a wise move. He'll blow up any week now. Look at Diggs last week, ppl wanted to bench him and/or give him away and then he went 7/104.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:42 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:05 am
Ice wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:50 am Be that as it may but the reality is JuJu had 8 or fewer targets last year 3 times in 16 games.

For sure, but it isn't necessarily the players fault he's being targeted less. The Steelers threw the ball a ridiculous amount last year, and with Rudolph they have obviously tried to make things simple and utilize the running game to minimize his involvement as a first year starter. Had Ben been healthy, I think Juju would be looking at more targets and opportunities. It would be tough for any WR right now in that offense as the number 1.
The point wasn't to blame JuJu but regardless, his production is obviously causing concern. I don't have any skin in the game on JuJu because I took a wait and see approach given his draft position but if he continues on this path I would buy him when his rates are more reasonable.

I will predict he will have a tough time finishing in the top 15 - 18 range at this rate given the array of circumstances facing him this season.

At this point a 10 player drop is significant given most had him going the other way from his top 8 finish last season.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Straycatz2
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Straycatz2 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:10 pm

Would you trade away golladay for juju?
What are people offering to try and get juju?

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:53 pm

Straycatz2 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:10 pm Would you trade away golladay for juju?
What are people offering to try and get juju?
If you can do that you absolutely have to. At a minimum JuJu is 4 years younger and is the equivalent player. That’s the minimum...
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Caleb, Purdy, Levis, Penix
RB: Pacheco, Estime, Vaughn
WR: Nabers, Coleman, Downs, EMoore, Jeudy, Burton, MMims, MWilson
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Sinnott, Mayer
2025: 3 1sts, 2 2nds, 2 3rds, 2 4ths

SafeLeague #2
QB: Caleb, Richardson, Purdy, JJMcCarthy
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Nabers, Worthy, McConkey, Brian Thomas Jr, Pearsall, Mims, Burton, Mingo, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Bowers, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker
2025: 3 1sts, 2 2nds