Flag Plant: Montgomery trajectory will exceed that of Josh Jacobs

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
Ice
Legend
Legend

Re: Flag Plant: Montgomery trajectory will exceed that of Josh Jacobs

Postby Ice » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:53 pm

johnnymozart wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:42 pm Jacobs > Monty presently. But if you read what I wrote more carefully; my prediction is more based on injury/beatings taken and the present state of Jacobs --near ceiling of value-- and Monty, who I believe he is at his lowest point in value for the foreseeable stretch. I will check in on this thread as time goes on and will eat crow as necessary. Long live the DAVID
Or Monty is at his lowest point in value because he just isn't very good due to his sloth like reflexes.... :whistle:
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:45 am

Ice wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:53 pm ... his sloth like reflexes.... :whistle:

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:52 am

bjd5211 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:36 am
Chwf3rd wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:26 am I actually own Chubb in one league and have been trying to trade him for Jacobs all offseason with no luck
I wouldn't do that deal with you either, Jacobs is RB5 overall for me...
Give me Nick Chubb over Jacobs, Montgomery, Singletary, Dalvin Cook, and anyone else around-or-after Chubbs ADP.

Chubb led the league in rushing until King Henry got him at the 11th hour (he was up 130 yards coming into Week 17 - he was given 13 carries against the Bengals, to Henry's 32 - thanks Kitchens). He led the league in Yards after Contact and broken tackles.

Per PFF, despite a team run-blocking grade of 51.7 (27th) the Browns earned the highest team rushing grade (88.8).

He did it on a dysfunctional offense with godawful playcalling, with an O-line that got his GM fired for malpractice, and bottom-of-the-league tier Quarterbacking. It didn't matter.

He is currently doing this:
https://twitter.com/ZachChubb10/status/ ... 67520?s=20
And this:
https://twitter.com/ZachChubb10/status/ ... 22080?s=20

He was stoned at the goal line at a comical rate. 48% of the NFL's carries inside-the-4 went for TDs.
Our poor son Nick Chubb scored a TD on 2-of-15 carries (13%) and had -14 rushing yards from inside-the-4.
Not to mention that Baker did him no favours at moving the offense into said Red Zone last year.

The Browns now add one of the nastiest road-grading power run blockers in the class in Alabama's Jedrick Wills, and pair him with Jack Conklin. They added Austin Hooper, who at the least is a non-zero as a blocker. The line is less of a liability and more of a strength if this thing hits. I'm inclined to think it will, beeeecaaaause...

The Browns also added Kevin Stefanski, who may actually have a clue about how to run a team. He most certainly knows how to design an offense, and his MO is running it. A lot. Is that Nick Chubb's music? I think it might be. Stefanski fed Dalvin Cook all he could eat, and there was still plenty left over for the other backs in Minny. Let Kareem Hunt scare others off of Chubb if it means you're able to get him at any discount... he is easily my favourite redraft pick anywhere approaching the turn and onward.

One of the fastest ways to drastically improve an NFL team is to go from bottom-of-the-league coaching to league-average coaching. I believe that is exactly what is going to happen in Cleveland this year, and there will be post-hype sleeper status for Chubb, Baker, and Odell. Of those three names, the one I would -gladly- plant my flag on, is Chubb.

Give me Chubb.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:02 am

And now he gets to share the backfield with Kareem Hunt for a full season, and there is always the risk of that massive knee injury in college causing issues again and affecting his longevity similar to Gurley. Chubb is a sell in my opinion, just sense a drop in value coming, it might not be this year, but I don't think he'll be a great player for much longer than the span of gus rookie deal.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:22 am

bjd5211 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:02 am And now he gets to share the backfield with Kareem Hunt for a full season, and there is always the risk of that massive knee injury in college causing issues again and affecting his longevity similar to Gurley. Chubb is a sell in my opinion, just sense a drop in value coming, it might not be this year, but I don't think he'll be a great player for much longer than the span of gus rookie deal.
It's crazy how different opinions can be. I am the exact opposite on Chubb. I believe he is 100% a buy because of Hunt's presence and is someone I see being able to last forever and still produce. His value will remain consistent for a while, I think. He's really, really good.

Saquon, CMC, & Zeke are the only running backs I'd take above Chubb.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:38 am

dynastyninja wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:22 am
bjd5211 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:02 am And now he gets to share the backfield with Kareem Hunt for a full season, and there is always the risk of that massive knee injury in college causing issues again and affecting his longevity similar to Gurley. Chubb is a sell in my opinion, just sense a drop in value coming, it might not be this year, but I don't think he'll be a great player for much longer than the span of gus rookie deal.
It's crazy how different opinions can be. I am the exact opposite on Chubb. I believe he is 100% a buy because of Hunt's presence and is someone I see being able to last forever and still produce. His value will remain consistent for a while, I think. He's really, really good.

I'm not saying he's not good, heck he's probably my RB6 overall, I just rank my top 5 as

1 Saquon
2 CMC

3 Zeke
4 Kamara

5 Jacobs

Chubb is in that tier with Jacobs imo, I would just take Jacobs over him given the choice.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:12 am

I have no idea why this is relevant to any argument about who to take. He's good at lifting weights, that's a given. Not sure how this provides a reason he's a better football player in dynasty context, but then again, I say the same thing every time somebody posts a video of a guy running a route in practice, or at the park, or any twitter video of a player training in general.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:16 am

DM may finally be a case where both the analytics and film grinders crowd can come together as one and agree.

He is replacement level
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:40 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:12 am I have no idea why this is relevant to any argument about who to take. He's good at lifting weights, that's a given. Not sure how this provides a reason he's a better football player in dynasty context, but then again, I say the same thing every time somebody posts a video of a guy running a route in practice, or at the park, or any twitter video of a player training in general.
He's training like a madman, those are extreme weights for his build. Leading the league in yards after contact and broken tackles actually -does- have something to do with being able to lift weight like that. Regardless, if you want to jump down my throat for providing some fun and levity within a post that would otherwise just be all numbers and projection, then hell, sure, I guess your fun meter is broken.

I'm with the Ninja. Remember that this man was an athletic freak near the same level as Saquon before he got injured. The fact he has bounced back to this degree speaks to that. I remember we all wondered if he'd ever be the same when he was drafted. I'm willing to bet on him lasting longer than most backs in this league, perhaps he won't be Frank Gore but I could see it.

Sharing with Hunt in a Freddie Kitchens offense with a bad offensive line is not going to be the same as sharing in a Kevin Stefanski offense behind some proper maulers. If this thing hits, people will be kicking themselves - there was a reason Baker and Odell were going as high as they were in drafts last year. There will be more than enough to eat for both backs if this offense returns to even just league-average blocking, playcalling, passing, and coaching.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:30 pm

mild wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:40 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:12 am I have no idea why this is relevant to any argument about who to take. He's good at lifting weights, that's a given. Not sure how this provides a reason he's a better football player in dynasty context, but then again, I say the same thing every time somebody posts a video of a guy running a route in practice, or at the park, or any twitter video of a player training in general.
He's training like a madman, those are extreme weights for his build. Leading the league in yards after contact and broken tackles actually -does- have something to do with being able to lift weight like that. Regardless, if you want to jump down my throat for providing some fun and levity within a post that would otherwise just be all numbers and projection, then hell, sure, I guess your fun meter is broken.

I'm with the Ninja. Remember that this man was an athletic freak near the same level as Saquon before he got injured. The fact he has bounced back to this degree speaks to that. I remember we all wondered if he'd ever be the same when he was drafted. I'm willing to bet on him lasting longer than most backs in this league, perhaps he won't be Frank Gore but I could see it.

Sharing with Hunt in a Freddie Kitchens offense with a bad offensive line is not going to be the same as sharing in a Kevin Stefanski offense behind some proper maulers. If this thing hits, people will be kicking themselves - there was a reason Baker and Odell were going as high as they were in drafts last year. There will be more than enough to eat for both backs if this offense returns to even just league-average blocking, playcalling, passing, and coaching.
Love Chubb, but the fact he completely shredded his knee including cartilage damage isn't a good thing for long term prognosis, going into his mid 30's. Doesn't mean he can't of course, just that it's less likely.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:55 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:30 pm Love Chubb, but the fact he completely shredded his knee including cartilage damage isn't a good thing for long term prognosis, going into his mid 30's. Doesn't mean he can't of course, just that it's less likely.
You're probably right. But anyone playing dynasty expecting a RB to last into his mid 30's (or even just 30's full stop) isn't in the right business, so it's a moot point. I just think "knee permitting" he has a chance to be one of those guys that survives longer than most; he has the athleticism, a super solid build, and top tier footwork and vision.

And regardless of the longevity situation, I'll still take him over all those other backs listed for this year and next - he already borderline won the rushing title last year with about as bad a situation as possible. Lets see it with an improved line, a good coach, and a proper offensive system.

johnnymozart
Role Player
Role Player

Postby johnnymozart » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:25 pm

David Montgomery about to hit a nice little schedule stretch while Jacobs nursing boo boo's
My team/Picks (14 Teamer- .5PPR) Start 1 QB, 2-3 RB, 2-3 WR, 1-2 TE
QB Lamar Jackson, Russ Wilson, Mills
RB A Gibson, Aaron Jones, Damien Harris, Penny IR, D.Pierce, Haskins
WR ARobinson, KAllen, Mike Evans, Sutton, Amon-Ra, TBoyd, GDavis, Dotson, Pierce
TE Mark Andrews, Goedert, LThomas
K Tucker
2023- No Picks
2024- 2, 2

Rebuild Sad Orphan 12 team .5PPR -- Start 1QB, 2-4 WR, 2-4 RB, 1-3 TE

QB. Tua, DJones (IR)
RB Bijan (R), Gibbs (R), J. Conner, TSpears (R), Demercado, J Mason, Z. White
WR Amon-Ra St Brown, Nico Collins, J. Reed (R), R. Shaheed, C.Tillman (R), Osborn, Terrace M, CSamuel, Pierce, Ross
TE Andrews, Ferguson, McBride, Ertz (IR)
DEF- Patriots, Vikings
2024 None
2025 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3
2026 2, 3

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:29 pm

johnnymozart wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:25 pm David Montgomery about to hit a nice little schedule stretch while Jacobs nursing boo boo's
Are you suggesting that it's a good time as a Monty owner to offer a trade straight up for Jacobs? Because if so, I agree.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:49 pm

mild wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:55 pm You're probably right. But anyone playing dynasty expecting a RB to last into his mid 30's (or even just 30's full stop) isn't in the right business, so it's a moot point. I just think "knee permitting" he has a chance to be one of those guys that survives longer than most; he has the athleticism, a super solid build, and top tier footwork and vision.

And regardless of the longevity situation, I'll still take him over all those other backs listed for this year and next - he already borderline won the rushing title last year with about as bad a situation as possible. Lets see it with an improved line, a good coach, and a proper offensive system.
Oooh, oooh! Can I take a thoroughly uncalled-for victory lap too? This Chubb take has aged quite nicely 8-)

johnnymozart
Role Player
Role Player

Postby johnnymozart » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:40 pm

As a firm believer in Chubb myself, pat yourselves on the back.
However, my post was about two specific players. Both officially outright have missed one game this season. Some didnt expect player B back until week 2 or 3 based on the look of the awkward injury he suffered in training camp. However, he still ran as the RB1 in week 1 rather unexpectedly...

Player A:
906 rushing yards, 245 carries, 3.70 ypc, 10 Rush TD, 2 fumble lost, 33 catches, 248 yd, 0 TD
Player B:
906 rushing yards, 202 carries, 4.49 ypc, 6 Rush TD, 1 fumble lost, 43 catches, 349 yd, 2 TD

I'd still rather not trade Montgomery for that plodder Josh Jacobs btw
My team/Picks (14 Teamer- .5PPR) Start 1 QB, 2-3 RB, 2-3 WR, 1-2 TE
QB Lamar Jackson, Russ Wilson, Mills
RB A Gibson, Aaron Jones, Damien Harris, Penny IR, D.Pierce, Haskins
WR ARobinson, KAllen, Mike Evans, Sutton, Amon-Ra, TBoyd, GDavis, Dotson, Pierce
TE Mark Andrews, Goedert, LThomas
K Tucker
2023- No Picks
2024- 2, 2

Rebuild Sad Orphan 12 team .5PPR -- Start 1QB, 2-4 WR, 2-4 RB, 1-3 TE

QB. Tua, DJones (IR)
RB Bijan (R), Gibbs (R), J. Conner, TSpears (R), Demercado, J Mason, Z. White
WR Amon-Ra St Brown, Nico Collins, J. Reed (R), R. Shaheed, C.Tillman (R), Osborn, Terrace M, CSamuel, Pierce, Ross
TE Andrews, Ferguson, McBride, Ertz (IR)
DEF- Patriots, Vikings
2024 None
2025 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3
2026 2, 3