SF 2TE startup

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
jnappy
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

SF 2TE startup

Postby jnappy » Tue May 26, 2020 6:41 am

I am about to begin a 12-team SF 2TE startup. We start 1-2 QB/2-4 RB/2-4 WR/2-4 TE with standard 1.0 PPR across the board and 4 pt passing TDs. Does anyone have a startup similar to this they can send me so I can get a feel for ADP? I'm new to 2TE, so I'm trying to get a feel for when I should be targeting certain guys. Any thoughts you have on relative value of the positions compared to each other would be much appreciated as well. Thanks in advance!
[Team 1] 2015 - 6th | 2016 - 12th | 2017 - 3rd | 2018 - 1st! | 2019 - 3rd | 2020 - 5th
Hometown league
Jimmy GQ
32 team full PPR/IDP - 1TMQB/1RB/1WR/1TE/1FLEX/1TMPK/1DL/1LB/1DB
TMQB: 49ers
RB: Kamara, DJ, Hines, JJack
WR: ARob, Mooney, Myers, JGrant
TE: Goedert, Kroft, Keene
TMPK: 49ers
DL: JPP
LB: Oluokun, Shaq Thompson
DB: Poyer
2021 picks: 1.26, 2.26, 3.26
2022 picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Re: SF 2TE startup

Postby moishetreats » Tue May 26, 2020 6:47 am

As a general rule, in 2TE leagues, I halve their ADP. So, say that Ertz's ADP is 42 (I'm making that up!), then, as a starting point, I'd put him at 21 in a 2TE league.

Good luck and enjoy!! I love 2TE leagues...!
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

ItsHandsomeDave
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ItsHandsomeDave » Thu May 28, 2020 9:41 pm

They are tough to draft in to be honest because you are going to be weak somewhere at the end of the draft and you have to make some pretty big compromises along the way. TE's become impossible to trade for after the draft and the only way to upgrade at the position is to normally include a TE of your own to fill the gap it would leave on the other guys roster.

You will also see tons of sides fall off a cliff year 2 and 3 with massive holes all over their rosters too, so you really want to be looking long term with your startup more than you normally would. I wish I did this more with the first few leagues I joined, I learned the hard way.

Best advice I can give is to look to trade down and try and acquire as many picks as you can between rounds 3-7, trading up from later rounds a bit too if you can to get into this range. You are going to miss out on a few of the studs, but this is where you want to be trying to shop as much possible.

If you can wrangle 12-13 or so picks between 3-7 by leveraging your 1/2 and 8-10, you can fill out your roster with a lot of young talent.

Those 12-13 picks you want to come out the other end of it with a minimum of 3 QB's and 3 top 12 TE's if you can get them. Also if you are going really young, then just avoid RB's and grab as many WR's as you can. TE's get injured so often that you really do want that starting depth week to week and when you are forced to start two, you start to see huge positional advantages if you are solid at the position and able to field two top 12 TE's every week.

From what I have seen rounds 8-11 is where everyone starts to go nuts trying to find their second TE, so there is going to be a ton of value to snap up between rounds 10-15 after people started reaching for TE's.

jnappy
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jnappy » Sat May 30, 2020 11:44 am

ItsHandsomeDave wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:41 pm They are tough to draft in to be honest because you are going to be weak somewhere at the end of the draft and you have to make some pretty big compromises along the way. TE's become impossible to trade for after the draft and the only way to upgrade at the position is to normally include a TE of your own to fill the gap it would leave on the other guys roster.

You will also see tons of sides fall off a cliff year 2 and 3 with massive holes all over their rosters too, so you really want to be looking long term with your startup more than you normally would. I wish I did this more with the first few leagues I joined, I learned the hard way.

Best advice I can give is to look to trade down and try and acquire as many picks as you can between rounds 3-7, trading up from later rounds a bit too if you can to get into this range. You are going to miss out on a few of the studs, but this is where you want to be trying to shop as much possible.

If you can wrangle 12-13 or so picks between 3-7 by leveraging your 1/2 and 8-10, you can fill out your roster with a lot of young talent.

Those 12-13 picks you want to come out the other end of it with a minimum of 3 QB's and 3 top 12 TE's if you can get them. Also if you are going really young, then just avoid RB's and grab as many WR's as you can. TE's get injured so often that you really do want that starting depth week to week and when you are forced to start two, you start to see huge positional advantages if you are solid at the position and able to field two top 12 TE's every week.

From what I have seen rounds 8-11 is where everyone starts to go nuts trying to find their second TE, so there is going to be a ton of value to snap up between rounds 10-15 after people started reaching for TE's.
Love it, this is all fantastic thanks so much! We're just starting the 5th, and I have Mixon, rookie 1.02, Andrews, AJB, Wentz so far. Still have all the rest of my picks and picked up an extra 2021 1st and an 11th and 12th in the startup. i'm going to look to start moving up here from 8-10 into the 5th/6th/7th to grab another QB and TE. Thanks again, this was all gold!
[Team 1] 2015 - 6th | 2016 - 12th | 2017 - 3rd | 2018 - 1st! | 2019 - 3rd | 2020 - 5th
Hometown league
Jimmy GQ
32 team full PPR/IDP - 1TMQB/1RB/1WR/1TE/1FLEX/1TMPK/1DL/1LB/1DB
TMQB: 49ers
RB: Kamara, DJ, Hines, JJack
WR: ARob, Mooney, Myers, JGrant
TE: Goedert, Kroft, Keene
TMPK: 49ers
DL: JPP
LB: Oluokun, Shaq Thompson
DB: Poyer
2021 picks: 1.26, 2.26, 3.26
2022 picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd

SoShady
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoShady » Sun May 31, 2020 12:47 pm

We are doing something similar. But just a little more extreme. Devy startup PPR with 2 PPR for TE's.

QB, 2 SF, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 TE, 2 RB/WR/TE

We have five teams without TE's so far. Only four out of twelve have 3 QB's. Gotta really wonder what some of them are thinking. But this is what I have so far.

QB - K Murray
SF - Jimmy G
SF - Tua
RB -
RB -
WR -
WR -
WR -
TE - Kittle
TE - Andrews
Flex - Engram
Flex -

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:33 pm

SoShady wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:47 pm We are doing something similar. But just a little more extreme. Devy startup PPR with 2 PPR for TE's.

We have five teams without TE's so far. Only four out of twelve have 3 QB's. Gotta really wonder what some of them are thinking. But this is what I have so far.

QB - K Murray
SF - Jimmy G
SF - Tua
RB -
RB -
WR -
WR -
WR -
TE - Kittle
TE - Andrews
Flex - Engram
Flex -
Whoa, whoa, whoa... you are telling me that you guys are playing not just SF, but DOUBLE SF and TE premium, and STILL people aren't going for QBs or TEs early?? Your start is completely bonkers in that setting.

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:48 pm

jnappy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:44 am
ItsHandsomeDave wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:41 pm They are tough to draft in to be honest because you are going to be weak somewhere at the end of the draft and you have to make some pretty big compromises along the way. TE's become impossible to trade for after the draft and the only way to upgrade at the position is to normally include a TE of your own to fill the gap it would leave on the other guys roster.

Love it, this is all fantastic thanks so much! We're just starting the 5th, and I have Mixon, rookie 1.02, Andrews, AJB, Wentz so far. Still have all the rest of my picks and picked up an extra 2021 1st and an 11th and 12th in the startup. i'm going to look to start moving up here from 8-10 into the 5th/6th/7th to grab another QB and TE. Thanks again, this was all gold!
Just wanted to add (a bit too late) that I think Dave gave an excellent write up of the format imo. With the large amount of depth at WR I'd focus on going QB early and often, and then on TE right after that. In every one of my 3 TE premium league people with otherwise good teams were having to start the likes of Ian Thomas or Jonnu Smith this year because they neglected the position way too long and really wanted that stud wr or rb early instead. Those aren't bad players by any means, but definitely not what you wanted to be relying on either (yet).

Speaking of those players though, I will add that while the TE position isn't too deep at the top, there always seem to be quite a few good TE prospects that people give up way too early on these days. Having seen the explosion of rookie wrs and rbs recently I feel like owners just move on if TE hasn't broken out by year 2 at the latest, ignoring that it used to be consensus that it takes by far the longest for a TE to blossom in the NFLcompared to other positions.

I've seen guys like Hockenson, Irv Smith or Gesicki trade for way too little because folks grew unhappy with them for various reasons. Just like the previous poster wrote I also love to go for depth in that format, and at the TE position especially, so I would add as many of those mid to late round "almost given up on" tight ends as possible.

SoShady
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoShady » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:59 pm

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:33 pm
SoShady wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:47 pm We are doing something similar. But just a little more extreme. Devy startup PPR with 2 PPR for TE's.

QB - K Murray
SF - Jimmy G
SF - Tua
RB -
RB -
WR -
WR -
WR -
TE - Kittle
TE - Andrews
Flex - Engram
Flex -
Whoa, whoa, whoa... you are telling me that you guys are playing not just SF, but DOUBLE SF and TE premium, and STILL people aren't going for QBs or TEs early?? Your start is completely bonkers in that setting.
Yeah it was pretty crazy. I almost had to take Fant as well. But they snagged him just before me.🤣

I have added Akers, Gordon, Conner and Lockett to my group. Tried trading up for M Brown and had a deal in place. But he sniped me before we put the trade through at 10.12 vs 11.1. Guess I should have made him say 10.12 from the start lol.