GOAT

Re: Way too Early 2021 Draft Thread

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:00 pm

Nanananananana wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:01 am If the draft goes:

Lawrence to the Jags
Wilson to the Jets
Fields to the 49ers

What order are you drafting them?
Fields above Wilson. Hell, I'd even be interested in trading Lawrence for Fields++. Not because I think Fields is a better QB, but the allure of a dream talent-landing spot pairing like Fields and Shanahan is really enticing given his history with QBs.

Whoever goes to the 49ers is getting an elite offensive coach, an above-average offensive line (with an elite left tackle), an elite TE, good receivers and a reliable run game.

That's a lot to get someone off to a jump start.

Nanananananana
Starter
Starter

Postby Nanananananana » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:55 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:00 pm [quote=Nanananananana post_id=<a href="tel:1967752">1967752</a> time=<a href="tel:1616954464">1616954464</a> user_id=28395]
If the draft goes:

Lawrence to the Jags
Wilson to the Jets
Fields to the 49ers

Fields above Wilson. Hell, I'd even be interested in trading Lawrence for Fields++. Not because I think Fields is a better QB, but the allure of a dream talent-landing spot pairing like Fields and Shanahan is really enticing given his history with QBs.

Whoever goes to the 49ers is getting an elite offensive coach, an above-average offensive line (with an elite left tackle), an elite TE, good receivers and a reliable run game.

[/quote]
Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:00 pm
Nanananananana wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:01 am If the draft goes:

Lawrence to the Jags
Wilson to the Jets
Fields to the 49ers

I probably would take Fields over Lawrence in this case, if I couldn’t get the person at 1.2 to trade.

Apparently Kyle Shanahan isn’t even going to Fields pro day so it’s likely it doesn’t end up in this order.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:21 am

Nanananananana wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:55 pm

Apparently Kyle Shanahan isn’t even going to Fields pro day so it’s likely it doesn’t end up in this order.
Mike Shanahan’s Broncos teams were notorious for not attending pro days or have publicly visible interviews of players high in the draft that they were very interested in. If he and his staff attended a pro day it was almost a lock that guy was not going to be a Bronco.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:52 am

Agree it doesn't matter at all if a staff attends a pro day. The 49's are sending a contingent to both Alabama and Ohio State's pro day. Teams also attend pro days to size up players and discount them.

Pretty much every team but 1 went to Wilson's pro day.

Pro days are nice media events and there is some minimal use to them but it could also be a smoke screen which is quite common this time of year.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:20 am

Ice wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:52 am Agree it doesn't matter at all if a staff attends a pro day. The 49's are sending a contingent to both Alabama and Ohio State's pro day. Teams also attend pro days to size up players and discount them.

Pretty much every team but 1 went to Wilson's pro day.

Pro days are nice media events and there is some minimal use to them but it could also be a smoke screen which is quite common this time of year.
Not at all impossible but picks 1 and 2 are set and the Niners have 3 that they aren't trying to trade

They have little to no reason to "smokescreen"

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:04 pm

Question for the analytics people:

How big of a deal is breakout age when the early breakout age box is already checked? (like for a Tylan Wallace or Denzel Mims/Bryan Edwards last year)

How much does an early declare/18-19 year old breakout have an edge on the same thing but a senior declare?

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:41 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:04 pm Question for the analytics people:

How big of a deal is breakout age when the early breakout age box is already checked? (like for a Tylan Wallace or Denzel Mims/Bryan Edwards last year)

How much does an early declare/18-19 year old breakout have an edge on the same thing but a senior declare?
If they're an early declare the difference between an 18-19 year old break out is minute (3% hit rate~)

If they're a senior declare the difference is massive between an 18-19 year old breakout (more than 20% hit rate).

The degree to which these guys break out also matters. 20% is technically a breakout, but that's less predictive than a 30%+

A lot of these metrics are unfortunately pretty useless without context.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:52 pm

Sriracha wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:41 pm

If they're an early declare the difference between an 18-19 year old break out is minute (3% hit rate~)

If they're a senior declare the difference is massive between an 18-19 year old breakout (more than 20% hit rate).

The degree to which these guys break out also matters. 20% is technically a breakout, but that's less predictive than a 30%+

Ah so for a 19 year old breakout being a senior declare would be a major dent in the profile right? If I'm understanding right

Seems like Chase and Bateman are in a tier of their own--strictly analytically speaking

Some solid profiles in the Moores, Dyami and Amon Ra (who actually doesn't seem to have a hole in his profile assuming 2nd round capital) but hardly last year's class

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:08 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:52 pm

Ah so for a 19 year old breakout being a senior declare would be a major dent in the profile right? If I'm understanding right

Seems like Chase and Bateman are in a tier of their own--strictly analytically speaking

Some solid profiles in the Moores, Dyami and Amon Ra (who actually doesn't seem to have a hole in his profile assuming 2nd round capital) but hardly last year's class
Based strictly on production Chase, Rondale Moore, Bateman are the cream of the crop this year.

I've personally moved Rondale down a tier for checking in at 5'7, though I'm probably in the minority there within the analytical community. I ding Rondale for being shorter than any fantasy relevant WR producer a little more than most are for Devonta Smith's weight (at least Devonta has a couple HoF receivers in his cohort).

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:20 pm

Sriracha wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:08 pm

Based strictly on production Chase, Rondale Moore, Bateman are the cream of the crop this year.

I've personally moved Rondale down a tier for checking in at 5'7, though I'm probably in the minority there within the analytical community. I ding Rondale for being shorter than any fantasy relevant WR producer a little more than most are for Devonta Smith's weight (at least Devonta has a couple HoF receivers in his cohort).
Ah I figured the measurables part of analytics already dinged Rondale a half tier below Bateman/Chase (though still WR3)

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:31 pm

But I guess my question would be what dings guys like Elijah Moore, Dyami Brown and Amon Ra St Brown compared to those guys strictly on analytics

Both have 18/19 breakouts in their first two years on campus (Chase did his second year, Bateman and Moore their first) as similarly high (30-45%) college dominator ratings with early declare status at age 21

I am not saying they are as good prospects when considering tape and such but analytics alone I don't see why they would be so far behind

Just wondering if I am missing something

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:47 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:31 pm
But I guess my question would be what dings guys like Elijah Moore, Dyami Brown and Amon Ra St Brown compared to those guys strictly on analytics

Both have 18/19 breakouts in their first two years on campus (Chase did his second year, Bateman and Moore their first) as similarly high (30-45%) college dominator ratings with early declare status at age 21

I am not saying they are as good prospects when considering tape and such but analytics alone I don't see why they would be so far behind

To be clear, analytics likes all of the guys you mentioned -- just not as much as the above 3.

You also have to consider target competition, dynamism (rushing/return yards) and strength of competition.

Elijah Moore has a very good analytical profile, but Rondale Moore's elite freshman breakout + dynamism push him into a tier above him. Both of them get dinged for being short.

Dyami Brown's dominator rating combined with a lack of target competition and unremarkable size/speed holds him back from being an elite prospect.

Amon Ra St. Brown is similarly held back by his dominator rating and unremarkable measurables.

Some data guys attach different weights to different metrics so you'll likely find some variance in how they view players, as well. I know some people have Elijah Moore as an elite prospect, for instance.

CL3VELANDBR0WNS
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby CL3VELANDBR0WNS » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:22 am

If we want to look at the top 24 rated dynasty WRs:

Only 1 top 24 dynasty WR ran a 4.6 or higher. Keenan Allen. Amon-Ra St. Brown ran a 4.66. ARSB has a similar style to Keenan Allen and could be a good fantasy asset but I would say his likelihood of being more than a WR3/4 is quite low based on his speed alone.

There are no receivers below 5'9". So that hurts the Moore's profiles. Few beneath 6' actually.

Dyami Brown's dominator barely cracks the threshold. I think he is a fairly safe pick though.... a good guy to target in round 2 but I don't know how high his upside is.

Bateman and Chase are the only ones that check every single box in terms of likely day 1 or 2 capital, BOA 18/19, Dominator 30+, Sub 4.6 40, 6', BMI, sophomore production, and early declaration.
Kyle Pitts joins that cohort even if counted as a WR. That's why I will rank him right behind those 2 and Harris/Etienne. With a top-5 pick in the draft, I'm generally looking for players that check every box rather than a guy who has many holes in his game but is exceptional in any one area (i.e. Devonta Smith final season production, Rondale Moore's athleticism/freshman breakout, Jaylen Waddle's speed, Terrace Marshall's level of competition).

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:35 am

CL3VELANDBR0WNS wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:22 am

If we want to look at the top 24 rated dynasty WRs:

Only 1 top 24 dynasty WR ran a 4.6 or higher. Keenan Allen. Amon-Ra St. Brown ran a 4.66. ARSB has a similar style to Keenan Allen and could be a good fantasy asset but I would say his likelihood of being more than a WR3/4 is quite low based on his speed alone.

There are no receivers below 5'9". So that hurts the Moore's profiles. Few beneath 6' actually.

Dyami Brown's dominator barely cracks the threshold. I think he is a fairly safe pick though.... a good guy to target in round 2 but I don't know how high his upside is.

Bateman and Chase are the only ones that check every single box in terms of likely day 1 or 2 capital, BOA 18/19, Dominator 30+, Sub 4.6 40, 6', BMI, sophomore production, and early declaration.
Kyle Pitts joins that cohort even if counted as a WR. That's why I will rank him right behind those 2 and Harris/Etienne. With a top-5 pick in the draft, I'm generally looking for players that check every box rather than a guy who has many holes in his game but is exceptional in any one area (i.e. Devonta Smith final season production, Rondale Moore's athleticism/freshman breakout, Jaylen Waddle's speed, Terrace Marshall's level of competition).
Chase and Bateman are my 1-2 as well. Was just looking for a deeper breakdown for a few of these and I think you hit it.

I agree on Rondale and that we haven't really seen anyone like him hit, as well as ARSB's likely limited upside.

Just wasn't sure if stuff like athleticism was counted as a part of the analytical process

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:05 pm

We all have biases in fantasy football, and mine is the small burner at WR. I know I won't have any Rondale Moore shares at his current ADP. I'll be letting someone else step on that landmine.

No matter how many threads we have suggesting the best small speedster is more than just that, their teams seem to only use them on 9 routes. I pretty much just avoid those guys now, and if that means I missed out, so be it.