UPDATE: Managers have a monopoly on RBs - help!

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
DynastyDrum30
Role Player
Role Player

UPDATE: Managers have a monopoly on RBs - help!

Postby DynastyDrum30 » Wed May 06, 2020 10:14 am

UPDATE

I decided to follow some of the advice I received on this thread and sell off some of my assets for picks/younger players. I've made the following deals so far:

Trade #1

Gave up: Amari Cooper, Will Fuller

Received: Tyler Boyd, 2 x 2021 firsts (both are likely top 4)

Trade #2

Gave up: Mike Evans

Received: 2021 1st/2nd; 2022 1st/2nd (2021 1st is likely top 5)

Trade #3

Gave up: Ezekiel Elliott, Tyler Boyd, 2022 2nd

Received: AJ Brown, Ke'shawn Vaughn, 2 x 2021 firsts (one is likely top 2, other is likely top 6)

The core of my team went from this:

QB: Wentz, Stafford, Lock
RB: Elliott, Guice, Penny
WR: Evans, Cooper, DJ Moore, Lamb, Jeudy, Reagor
TE: Kittle, Andrews, Everett

21 firsts: 0
21 seconds: 1
22 firsts: 1
22 seconds: 1

To this:

QB: Wentz, Stafford, Lock
RB: Vaughn, Guice, Penny
WR: DJ Moore, AJ Brown, Lamb, Jeudy, Reagor
TE: Kittle, Andrews, Everett

21 Firsts: 5
21 Seconds: 2
22 firsts: 2
22 seconds: 2

I'm looking to trade Kittle, but my league does not value TEs highly. For example, I got two trash offers of two 2021 2nds - the other was a 2021 1st. The best offer I got was a contender who offered Mike Williams, 2021 1st (likely top 3), 2 x 21 2nds for Kittle and a 22 2nd. I think it's a decent value, but I may hold and either keep or try to trade for more as the season progresses. What do you think?

Will look to either draft RBs in 21 or see if I can get one of these teams to come off of a young stud RB or two for some picks come draft time next year.

I made all three deals with different teams (none to the two juggernaut teams), improving each of their rosters to contend for a title this year. The two juggernaut teams are all of a sudden in a position where there is more competition than they'd expected now. Perhaps they will begin to realize they need to improve their WRs/TEs and come off of some of these RBs they are stashing and even things out? We will see. I am hoping they will and it will balance things out.

Thanks again for all the advice. I've never done a rebuild before and it's pretty exciting.

How'd I do? I'm trying to learn and get better!

ORIGINAL POST:

Our league has two managers who are hoarding the vast majority of the younger and valuable RBs. Everyone else in the league’s rosters consist of a mix of rb vets with depreciating values and/or a max of one young stud RB. Therefore, because they only have one young stud rb like cook/ kamara, they won’t trade them due to lack of depth and youth.

The two hoarding managers are very stubborn. They either slam the door shut and say they aren’t selling period, or refuse to come off any of them unless you give a massive overpay. These two rosters are already the strongest in the league.

I don’t like being in this position. I feel I’m boxed into a corner with two undesirable options:

1) Give in to their demands and massively overpay for a RB

2) Buy older depreciating RBs and lose value on them after season is over

In both cases, its likely that the weak get weaker and the strong get stronger.

Is there a way to get around this? What’s a guy like me to do in this position? Have any of you faced this before and what did you do about it?

These managers have thrived on selling their RBs/wrs for peak value right before their value drops for many firsts. Then they’ll use those 1sts to either draft more young valuable players or trade for them.

Without another solid RB or two, I don’t see myself contending for a title this year, and I’m not going to help the strongest rosters get stronger by massively overpaying.

I’m considering selling off some of my WRs to accumulate a ton of 1sts for the next two years while they’re cheap to cut off their supply. Then I can hopefully either draft a young promising rb or use those picks to trade for one. Or if the hoarding teams come knocking, refuse to trade them unless they give up one of these RBs. I hate that I’m even considering this “fight fire with fire” tactic, but I don’t know what else to do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don’t like this feeling of being trapped with them calling the shots and I want to do something about it. Thank you!
Last edited by DynastyDrum30 on Sat May 09, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
10 man league; .5 PPR; .5 TE Premium
QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/TE/Flex/K/Team D) - 28 Man Rosters

Roster Highlights:

QB: Burrow, Purdy, Love

RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, Z. Charbonnet, AJ Dillon, Penny, D. Foreman, T Allgier, Z. White, E. Hull

WR: Chase, Lamb, Olave, T. Higgins, Diontae, Chark

TE: LaPorta, Pitts, Goedert, Schoonmaker

Picks:
2024: 4.06
2025: None

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Re: Managers have a monopoly on RBs - help!

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Wed May 06, 2020 10:24 am

I just don't get 10 team leagues. You got studs at every position, Zeke as your lead back, and just picked up Jeudy. Yet you want more runners?

And you just have the perfect opportunity to pickup some young RB talent in this draft. The 1st round is littered with talent, and you can pickup a certain FSU RB in the 3rd!
Last edited by Cult of Dionysus on Wed May 06, 2020 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed May 06, 2020 10:32 am

1. Assuming this is not Superflex, stop rostering 5 QBs in a ten team league. Trade whoever you can for whatever draft capital you can get.

2. Assuming this is not TE Premium, flip Andrews or Kittle for whatever first round picks you can get.

3. Make those trades before they do. If you can flip Elliot for somebody like Jacobs/CEH/Taylor/Sanders + significant draft capital, just do it. You can't prevent them from making those trades, you can only beat them to it yourself.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

DynastyDrum30
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DynastyDrum30 » Wed May 06, 2020 10:36 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:24 am I just don't get 10 team leagues.

And you just have the perfect opportunity to pickup some young RB talent in this draft. The 1st round is littered with talent, and you can pickup a certain FSU RB in the 3rd!
I wish I could’ve gotten in on this class, but the same thing happened in this draft. The one monopoly manager had four first rounders including 1.1 and 1.2 and took CEH, JT, Akers, and Swift. He wouldn’t even entertain Amari Cooper for the 1.2.
Last edited by DynastyDrum30 on Wed May 06, 2020 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roster Highlights:

RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, Z. Charbonnet, AJ Dillon, Penny, D. Foreman, T Allgier, Z. White, E. Hull

Picks:

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed May 06, 2020 10:39 am

DynastyDrum30 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:36 am
Cult of Dionysus wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:24 am I just don't get 10 team leagues.

I wish I could’ve gotten in on this class, but the same thing happened in this draft. The one monopoly manager had four first rounders including 1.1 and 1.2 and took CEH, JT, Akers, and Swift. He wouldn’t even entertain Amari Cooper for the 1.2.
So do better at acquiring the picks ahead of time and draft RBs. Don't get mad about these other owners for being better at the game than you, get better at the game.

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Wed May 06, 2020 10:40 am

SO if you had all to good young RBs, would you trade them just so you don't have a monopoly?
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh

DynastyDrum30
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DynastyDrum30 » Wed May 06, 2020 10:43 am

bjd5211 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:39 am

So do better at acquiring the picks ahead of time and draft RBs. Don't get mad about these other owners for being better at the game than you, get better at the game.
Not mad, just looking for advice on how to get around a hoarding situation. I’m trying to “get good”, which is why I’m asking for advice from people who know more and have more experience in dynasty than me.

Roster Highlights:

Picks:

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Wed May 06, 2020 10:45 am

Looks like you took Jeudy and Lamb. Where did you pick them and were there any RBs on the board at that time?

DynastyDrum30
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DynastyDrum30 » Wed May 06, 2020 10:52 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:42 am Where did you end up last season and where did the monopolists end up?
I came in 5th last year. Monopolists came in 2nd and the other had some terrible injury luck and came in 6th (his roster is arguably the strongest though). They had already made trades 1/2 years prior for other people’s firsts, so when draft time came, they already had the 1.1, 1.2, 1.4, 1.6, and 1.7 locked up.

I could’ve taken Swift or Akers, but I just didn’t think they were worth it when lamb was there. I also didn’t expect a hoarding situation. This is the first time this has happened.

I guess I may just have to do what you said - beat them to the first rounders. That was where I was leaning but I wondered if anyone else had been in this situation and what strategies they’d used.

Roster Highlights:

Picks:

Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ray Finkle » Wed May 06, 2020 10:54 am

Do you mind sharing those two supreme rosters with us? Out of curiosity, I’d like to see them.

It just sounds like you have a couple heavy weights in your league is all. There is nothing wrong with that.

Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ray Finkle » Wed May 06, 2020 10:55 am

Ooooh. Should’ve taken Swift.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed May 06, 2020 10:58 am

DynastyDrum30 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:43 am
bjd5211 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:39 am

Not mad, just looking for advice on how to get around a hoarding situation. I’m trying to “get good”, which is why I’m asking for advice from people who know more and have more experience in dynasty than me.
Do what these guys have been doing, before they can do it. Don't get roped into a desperate attempt at being competitive this year, be truly honest with yourself if it's a realistic goal to win the league this year. Being stuck in the middle of the pack is the worst place you can possibly be, you won't be good enough to win anything and you won't be bad enough to be drafting the high end studs to build around.

If you aren't very good, then go all in on being bad, trade away assets for youth and most importantly draft picks, even if you have to take slight loss initially to do so. Stockpile as many draft picks as you can, these become universal currency and you can use them to move up and down the draft board and acquire more picks in future years. You obviously won't have a perfect hit rate on all yoyr picks, but you just want to get as many of them as you can to give yourself more opportunities to hit. There's no trick to just flipping the script overnight and being able to take to these guys down right away, you need to put yourself in position to do the same thing that they have been doing to the rest of the leage and that takes time. Commit to the long-game and you will be able to build a team that can compete with these guys and bring a little more balance to the league.

DynastyDrum30
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DynastyDrum30 » Wed May 06, 2020 11:01 am

mgscott wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:45 am

Looks like you took Jeudy and Lamb. Where did you pick them and were there any RBs on the board at that time?
I picked them at 4 and 5. CEH/JT/Dobbins were off he board on the first three. I’ve had three miserable seasons of drafting/acquiring RBs that end up in time share or injured (Demarco murray/henry/penny/Guice) so the thought of swift in Detroit in an a RBBC scared me and Akers behind the rams trash o line didn’t sound much better. Lamb and jeudy felt like the better and more valuable options and I figured I could flip my WRs in a trade for a RB. But then this unexpected hoarding situation came up and I’m trying to figure out what’s best for me to do at this point.

Roster Highlights:

Picks:

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed May 06, 2020 11:02 am

Ya, you should have taken Swift or Akers. The 5 RBs are all pretty much going in the first 5 picks in most of my leagues, and are making it to 7 at the latest. They aren't necessarily hoarding the RBs, they are just taking the most valuable players available, which is the right move, and most of the time in rookie drafts RBs are the most valuable players.