New Heights of Rookie Fever

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Shankopotamus
Starter
Starter

Re: New Heights of Rookie Fever

Postby Shankopotamus » Mon May 04, 2020 11:31 am

These picks have been changing hands like crazy in my league.
1.04 for Lev Bell and Bridgewater
1.02 + David Johnson for Hopkins
1.02 for DJ Chark
i traded my 1.11 and next years first for Chubb during last season(fell short in the ship)

a bunch of the picks have changed hands moving up and down in the first round with other pieces in the deals.

the last two years I've gathered the following players from trading away my 2019, 2020, & 2021 firsts:
DK Metcalf
DJ Moore
Sam Darnold
Baker Mayfield
Le'veon Bell
Teddy Bridgewater
Nick Chubb
12 Team Super-Flex TEP Dynasty
22 CHAMP :dance:
(2019 & 2020 Runner-Up) :wall:

1 QB, 3 RB, 4 WR, Flex, SF, 2 TE

3 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB, 1 Flex IDP

QB- Justin Herbert, Baker Mayfield, Deshaun Watson, Marcus Mariota, Gardner Minshew, Sam Ehlinger
RB- D’Andre Swift, Nick Chubb, Javonte Williams, Cam Akers, Kyren Williams, Jerome Ford, D’Ernest Johnson, Darrell Henderson
WR- DK Metcalf, DJ Moore, Chris Godwin, Jameson Williams, Gabe Davis, Hollywood Brown, Josh Reynolds, Calvin Austin, Laviska Shenault, Kyle Phillips
TE-Mark Andrews, Greg Dulcich, Isaiah Likely, Donald Parham, Tyler Conklin
DL-Danielle Hunter, Nick Bosa, Deforest Buckner, Jonathon Allen
LB- Micah Parsons, Jack Sanborn, Logan Wilson, Cole Holcomb, Nakobe Dean, Brian Asamoah
DB-Jeremy Chinn, Jalen Pitre, Jalen Thompson, Kam Curl, Darrick Forrest
K-Tyler Bass

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Mon May 04, 2020 11:36 am

TimeWillTell wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:26 am
nathanq42 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:23 am
JTLoh wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:20 am This thread inspired me to take the value over the pick.
Just pulled the trigger on trading away my 2.2 for Mark Andrews. (also gave 5.2 and got 4.2)

I just took over for this team. League is PPR but 1.5 PPR for TEs. My current TE's were Jack Doyle/Jimmy Graham.

It sucks because this league drafts like 1 round every 3 weeks. (we just finished round 1) and now I don't have a pick in round 2.

BUT I GOT A LEGIT TIGHT END! :dance: :dance: :dance:
Holy crap that is a steal
Yeah great deal.

I'm not saying picks are not over valued by some. But the people complaining most in this thread are over valuing what they are offering for the picks.
Agree with this. And also seem to be suffering from that salty trade negotiating tactic of seeking something in a trade, and when their offer is declined, saying how it's not worth anything anyway lol. "These picks are worthless!!! Barely a 50% hit rate, if that!!! Just give them to me!! No? Well good luck with that garbage than, wasn't even worth what I was offering, I was just being generous." Like when someone tried to buy AB off me in 2012 for a 3rd round pick, and when I declined I was lambasted about how trash he was and a 1 dimensional WR who had no nuance, would never be more than a flex play at best, yada yada yada.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Mon May 04, 2020 11:37 am

dustyroads wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:36 am Like when someone tried to buy AB off me in 2012 for a 3rd round pick, and when I declined I was lambasted about how trash he was and a 1 dimensional WR who had no nuance, would never be more than a flex play at best, yada yada yada.
Yep, that's exactly what I'm doing here. You got me. How could I ever expect to get the 1.05 for OBJ?

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon May 04, 2020 11:39 am

Mephistopheles wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:13 am
TimeWillTell wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:40 am So you're trying to buy the picks? Sounds like you're buying into the rookie hyper as well. Hard to know how bad rookie fever is in your league without examples of the trades you've offered to acquire picks.
I don't know about OP, but I offered Julio Jones for 2 1sts, 1.3 and 1.7, and was told to go bleep myself.
It's bad.
No one was willing to pay that for Julio last year or 2 years ago, obviously he won't go for that this year. Julio's value has been depressed for years.

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Mon May 04, 2020 11:43 am

dustyroads wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:20 am
dynastyninja wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:54 am
TimeWillTell wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:37 am

This. I think we found why you're having issues trading for picks here.
I get what you guys are saying (although I disagree). I've not got the feeling that I was close on any of those offers, though, which is wild. These picks are untouchable and people are just ignoring the fact that first rounders to bust and they bust pretty regularly.
TBH it's because none of them aside from OBJ for 1.05 IS close. And that seems to not just be the sentiment in your league, but on this board. I think you are drastically overvaluing the players you are offering, which is causing your perception that the rookie picks are being drastically overvalued when the offers are denied. I think your valuation is just off.

That being said, rookie picks are always inherently "over-valued", but it's like that every year, and this one doesn't seem any different to me. In fact, 1.01 is more available in what I've seen in my leagues and on boards because there is no clear-cut pick there. People are more willing to move it, whether moving down or out all-together, because there isn't much consensus on the pick. Either way, we always see pick value spike after the NFL draft. And as any leagues respective fantasy draft gets closer, the value tends to continue creeping up. The best time to buy and sell picks for value once the NFL draft has taken place, is and has always been IMO during the fantasy draft itself. If you are looking to move into the first, that will be your best opportunity. When the tier breaks after the top 4-5 RBs are taken, the next tier break after Lamb, Jeudy, "fill in the third guy a few people are high on" are taken, etc. When that guy who thought he was getting Cam Akers at 7 overall gets snuck and is panicking; then maybe you could sneak in and offer him OBJ, Connor, and a future pick and come into the first round. Otherwise, you'll need to up your offers.

The best time to sell vets is at the trade deadline when people need to make a push to the playoffs, or think they need just one more guy putting up solid points to get them the championship, at least from my experience. November of 2019 was when you should have been acquiring 2020 1st rounders for vets IMO. Instead, you're literally picking the worst time over the course of a league year to try to sell vets for a value AND trying to acquire rookie draft picks the time when rookie picks are valued the highest.... I'm really not surprised.
You seemed to have ignored this post so I'll bold the parts which 1. Go against what you just posted and 2. Explain explicitly why you aren't getting traction with your offers.

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Mon May 04, 2020 11:56 am

dynastyninja wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:37 am
dustyroads wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:36 am Like when someone tried to buy AB off me in 2012 for a 3rd round pick, and when I declined I was lambasted about how trash he was and a 1 dimensional WR who had no nuance, would never be more than a flex play at best, yada yada yada.
Yep, that's exactly what I'm doing here. You got me. How could I ever expect to get the 1.05 for OBJ?
Not trying to be a jerk, just not getting what you were looking for/expecting with this thread. This is how dynasty has always been for as long as I've been playing. You missed the boat on acquiring rookie picks. From a basic economic stand point; you're picking a time when your "money" value in aging veterans is at it's lowest and trying to purchase "goods" in rookie picks when their value is at it's highest. It's just bad process, especially if you're doing it just to get in the game. If you have a specific player in mind you want, your best value at this point will be trying to get in before they are picked during the draft itself, or even trading for that player post draft. But trying to get picks right now for the sake of having them is a losing bet for the most part.

And we've all been there with regards to overvaluing our own team/players with regards to trading. I do it all the time. But I think you need to accept that the majority of your trade offers must have been pretty bad to get little to no response on 100 of them... and it seems like impartial parties here on the boards agree.

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Mon May 04, 2020 12:03 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:39 am
TimeWillTell wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:40 am So you're trying to buy the picks? Sounds like you're buying into the rookie hyper as well. Hard to know how bad rookie fever is in your league without examples of the trades you've offered to acquire picks.
I don't know about OP, but I offered Julio Jones for 2 1sts, 1.3 and 1.7, and was told to go bleep myself.
It's bad.
No one was willing to pay that for Julio last year or 2 years ago, obviously he won't go for that this year. Julio's value has been depressed for years.
Its sad because hes probably still has 2-4 years of elite production. I bought him during a playoff run, cost me 2020 1st 2021 1st, I came in second, but none the less I'm still glad to have him.
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon May 04, 2020 12:12 pm

joeya2001 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:03 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:39 am

It's bad.
Its sad because hes probably still has 2-4 years of elite production. I bought him during a playoff run, cost me 2020 1st 2021 1st, I came in second, but none the less I'm still glad to have him.
I'd agree. Bought a few years ago. Would be awesome to watch him go as long as Fitz has. Selling now would likely mean getting a mid to late first. I'd rather hold him, enjoy what production I get left instead of expect top rookie picks

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Mon May 04, 2020 12:18 pm

CGW wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:10 am I've taken advantage of this situation big time this year. Was able to get Cooper and Golladay for late 1st or less each.
I saw Kupp get traded for the 1.11

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon May 04, 2020 12:24 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:18 pm
CGW wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:10 am I've taken advantage of this situation big time this year. Was able to get Cooper and Golladay for late 1st or less each.
Gross
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Postby hoos89 » Mon May 04, 2020 12:35 pm

dlf_mikeh wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:56 am I'm experiencing the same thing. For the first time ever in one of my leagues, not a single trade happened in the first round, despite every single person (not me though) asking for a trade back. Tons of trade talks, tons of offers, not a single deal was made.

I tried to trade back into the end of the 1st round, no dice. I hypothetically offered a future 1/2/2/3, and even that was declined. He said I would have to add Waller on top of that and even then he'd sit on it. I lol'd.

It's bananas man.
People are asking a lot to trade back but not willing to spend that much to trade up, it seems. I've still managed to do 3 trades involving 2020 firsts across 2 leagues though (but I had accumulated a ton of 2020 draft capital, which helped).
dynastyninja wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:18 pm
Really wish people were going that nuts in either of my leagues.
Team 1: 2012-2016
2013 Champion, 2012 Runner-Up

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
2021 Champion, 2020 Runner-up
Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
JT, Ekeler, Mostert, Javonte, Chuba, D. Harris, M. Carter, J. Hill, Spiller
Chase, AJB, Amon-Ra, Aiyuk, Olave, DJM, Dell
Andrews, McBride, Engram
IR(3): Chubb, M. Williams, Rodgers
Taxi(4): J. Palmer, Tolbert, T. Palmer
2024 Picks: 3, 4, 5

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
2021 Champion, 2022 Runner-up
Jackson, Love, Tannehill, Z. Wilson
Barkley, Mixon, Mostert, J. Wilson, CEH, Gaskin, J. Hill
J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
Kelce, Dissly, Hooper
2024 Picks: 1

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Mon May 04, 2020 1:14 pm

The problem with a player for pick situation is that pick’s value still packs a lot of upside. Unless your guy has 1.1 value, the owner of the pick always has the hope that a guy will fall to them. You’re paying for that upside when you offer a trade pre-draft. If you want the 1.5 because there is someone there that you think will fall to that spot, why not just wait until the draft and no one falls so you can eliminate that upside from the equation?
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Chwf3rd
Captain
Captain

Postby Chwf3rd » Mon May 04, 2020 1:19 pm

I'm having issues moving around in rookie drafts as well.

I've had the 2nd overall pick in two drafts and couldn't generate any real interest. For comparison, last year I traded the 1.02 for 1.08 + 2020 1st.
Team 1 - 12 team PPR
QB: MRyan, MJones, CNewton, RFitz
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, JMixon, AJDillon, LMurray, DarWilliams, GBernard
WR: SDiggs, ACooper, BAiyuk, JJones, LShenault, BCooks, KToney, KHamler, VJefferson
TE: JSmith, ISmith, ZErtz

Team 2 - 16 team, PPR, SF
QB: JBurrow, CWentz, ZWilson, Jimmy G
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, BSnell, TGurley, DGuice
WR: JChase, BAiyuk, CSutton, THiggins, JJeudy, JReagor, BEdwards
TE: ISmith, HarBryant, DSample, TTremble

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Postby hoos89 » Mon May 04, 2020 1:35 pm

Chwf3rd wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 1:19 pm I'm having issues moving around in rookie drafts as well.

I've had the 2nd overall pick in two drafts and couldn't generate any real interest. For comparison, last year I traded the 1.02 for 1.08 + 2020 1st.
That offer made sense last year, but I personally would not move down 6 spots from 1.02 for a 2021 first. There's a lot more perceived strength at the top of this year's draft and 1.08 is where things start to get a bit jumbled.
Team 1: 2012-2016
2013 Champion, 2012 Runner-Up

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
2021 Champion, 2020 Runner-up
Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
JT, Ekeler, Mostert, Javonte, Chuba, D. Harris, M. Carter, J. Hill, Spiller
Chase, AJB, Amon-Ra, Aiyuk, Olave, DJM, Dell
Andrews, McBride, Engram
IR(3): Chubb, M. Williams, Rodgers
Taxi(4): J. Palmer, Tolbert, T. Palmer
2024 Picks: 3, 4, 5

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
2021 Champion, 2022 Runner-up
Jackson, Love, Tannehill, Z. Wilson
Barkley, Mixon, Mostert, J. Wilson, CEH, Gaskin, J. Hill
J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
Kelce, Dissly, Hooper
2024 Picks: 1

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon May 04, 2020 1:36 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:37 am
Uhhh... That's Jerry Jeudy or Ceedee Lamb, or potentially Dobbins.

I don't think it's a hot take to prefer any of those players this year and going forward to OBJ. What has he done for you lately, and do you enjoy watching the Browns?

This thread is hilarious. We've known this draft is crazy deep for 2+ years now. You had time to make the moves... quit complaining.

1.10 in a Superflex is quite likely Cam Akers this year. 1.08 is potentially Lamb, Jeudy, or Swift. This is why you are having trouble moving picks. They ARE worth more this year.