fantasy impact of coronavirus

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Re: fantasy impact of coronavirus

Postby Blueboy » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:53 pm

(not pretending to be a doctor, or a medical professional in any way)

I'm not expecting a season, but if it were to happen are there are certain players who'd need to sit it out? John Brown is the guy that immediately comes to mind, Sickle Cell would put him at significant risk of dangerous complications if he were to catch COVID. Would the disease cause complications in the surgeries and rehab from the injuries that are commonplace in the season? Or even the multiple non-surgery injuries that players play through on a weekly basis? It's easy to forget how banged up those guys almost always are, even if they don't show up on the injury report.

Is there a realistic chance that those factors could override the idea of NFL players all being low-risk because "they're young and healthy"

12-team SF, PPR, TE premium, 0.25 PPCarry
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Mahomes, Fields, Love
RB: Bijan, ETN, Pollard, Achane, Herbert
WR: Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Ridley, Jeudy, D.J. M, Burks, Hollywood, Wan'Dale
TE: Kyle Pitts, Goedert

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:46 pm

Genuinely interested to see how leagues that are new handle no 2021 season? Some teams that drafted in the "productive struggle" mold could lose out big time, if it's a pure lottery for next years rookie draft. Could see some win now teams get an early first, while teams who were banking on an early first get a late one.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Mild sauce goes in the trash. Well done steak goes with it.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:59 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:46 pm Genuinely interested to see how leagues that are new handle no 2021 season? Some teams that drafted in the "productive struggle" mold could lose out big time, if it's a pure lottery for next years rookie draft. Could see some win now teams get an early first, while teams who were banking on an early first get a late one.
I think the “productive struggle” teams might actually benefit because they get another year of draft picks without having to pay league fees. Reduces the rebuild investment.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:28 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:59 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:46 pm Genuinely interested to see how leagues that are new handle no 2021 season? Some teams that drafted in the "productive struggle" mold could lose out big time, if it's a pure lottery for next years rookie draft. Could see some win now teams get an early first, while teams who were banking on an early first get a late one.
I think the “productive struggle” teams might actually benefit because they get another year of draft picks without having to pay league fees. Reduces the rebuild investment.
Yeah, unless they productive struggled without acquiring other teams’ picks, I think they’re better off. Think about it. The main downside of a productive struggle roster is that you are unlikely to cash in 2020. That’s eliminated. Yes, your draft pick is less valuable than it might have been, but the picks of any team that traded their 2021 pick to you in order to win now will become more valuable. Your 1.01 could turn into 1.07, but the 1.09 and 1.12 could be 1.02 and 1.06. I’ve productive struggled my last 3 startups and I’ve never earned the 1.01.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:36 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:28 pm
Yeah, unless they productive struggled without acquiring other teams’ picks, I think they’re better off. Think about it. The main downside of a productive struggle roster is that you are unlikely to cash in 2020. That’s eliminated. Yes, your draft pick is less valuable than it might have been, but the picks of any team that traded their 2021 pick to you in order to win now will become more valuable. Your 1.01 could turn into 1.07, but the 1.09 and 1.12 could be 1.02 and 1.06. I’ve productive struggled my last 3 startups and I’ve never earned the 1.01.
Sure, but you could get stuck with 1.12, when it was more likely a top 5 pick if the season had played, and the team with the best team on paper could land the 1.01 if there is no 2020 season. If you acquired multiple firsts, it could go either way with those, just luck, really.
Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:53 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:36 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:28 pm

Sure, but you could get stuck with 1.12, when it was more likely a top 5 pick if the season had played, and the team with the best team on paper could land the 1.01 if there is no 2020 season. If you acquired multiple firsts, it could go either way with those, just luck, really.
Yeah. I would argue that not having to pay up outweighs everything else on its own. Beyond that, if you somehow productive struggled without acquiring an extra first, your first is less valuable (again, more than made up for by the free year). If you acquired multiple firsts, each of those pics is likely to increase in value.

The only strategy where you really get killed is if you’re in Superflex and you deliberately didn’t draft a second QB with a plan to use the 1.01 on Lawrence- a strategy I wouldn’t recommend in the first place.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:37 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:19 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:07 pm
Shankopotamus wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:44 am There's not going to be a season guys. There's too much toothpaste out of the tube at this point unless a vaccine is approved by October.
Another reminder: Most of the owners in the league are Trump supporters/friends/allies.

Given his stance on the virus, it's going to be pretty surprising if they don't push forward with a season. Whether it finishes or not is a different story.

I'm sure players are dreading playing games in Texas and Florida in a few months.
They're trump supporters because he benefits their bottom line; not because they're idiots. Considering they're mostly all old white men who are high risk factors they might be more concerned with COVID than they typically would be given the financial motivations of the decision.
Of course, they won't be given the option if things continue forward on this trend -- Hospitals are nearing their breaking point already... once there's more people who need to be in the ICU than there are spots death rates are going to skyrocket.
Why would they be concerned? They don't have to be on the field or at the stadium when games are played.

Considering how much pull Trump had with the owners when they blackballed Kaepernick, I'd guess he's an influence in their push to play this season too.

Shankopotamus
Starter
Starter

Postby Shankopotamus » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:39 pm

Blueboy wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:53 pm (not pretending to be a doctor, or a medical professional in any way)

I'm not expecting a season, but if it were to happen are there are certain players who'd need to sit it out? John Brown is the guy that immediately comes to mind, Sickle Cell would put him at significant risk of dangerous complications if he were to catch COVID. Would the disease cause complications in the surgeries and rehab from the injuries that are commonplace in the season? Or even the multiple non-surgery injuries that players play through on a weekly basis? It's easy to forget how banged up those guys almost always are, even if they don't show up on the injury report.

Is there a realistic chance that those factors could override the idea of NFL players all being low-risk because "they're young and healthy"
Mark Andrews with the beetus.
12 Team Super-Flex TEP Dynasty
22 CHAMP :dance:
(2019 & 2020 Runner-Up) :wall:

1 QB, 3 RB, 4 WR, Flex, SF, 2 TE

3 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB, 1 Flex IDP

QB- Justin Herbert, Baker Mayfield, Deshaun Watson, Marcus Mariota, Gardner Minshew, Sam Ehlinger
RB- D’Andre Swift, Nick Chubb, Javonte Williams, Cam Akers, Kyren Williams, Jerome Ford, D’Ernest Johnson, Darrell Henderson
WR- DK Metcalf, DJ Moore, Chris Godwin, Jameson Williams, Gabe Davis, Hollywood Brown, Josh Reynolds, Calvin Austin, Laviska Shenault, Kyle Phillips
TE-Mark Andrews, Greg Dulcich, Isaiah Likely, Donald Parham, Tyler Conklin
DL-Danielle Hunter, Nick Bosa, Deforest Buckner, Jonathon Allen
LB- Micah Parsons, Jack Sanborn, Logan Wilson, Cole Holcomb, Nakobe Dean, Brian Asamoah
DB-Jeremy Chinn, Jalen Pitre, Jalen Thompson, Kam Curl, Darrick Forrest
K-Tyler Bass

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:28 pm

Shankopotamus wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:39 pm
Blueboy wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:53 pm (not pretending to be a doctor, or a medical professional in any way)

Mark Andrews with the beetus.
Hell. That would actually ruin two of the three teams I was hoping to compete this year.

12-team SF, PPR, TE premium, 0.25 PPCarry
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Mahomes, Fields, Love
RB: Bijan, ETN, Pollard, Achane, Herbert
WR: Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Ridley, Jeudy, D.J. M, Burks, Hollywood, Wan'Dale
TE: Kyle Pitts, Goedert

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:57 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:37 pm
IZigUZag wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:19 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:07 pm

Another reminder: Most of the owners in the league are Trump supporters/friends/allies.

Given his stance on the virus, it's going to be pretty surprising if they don't push forward with a season. Whether it finishes or not is a different story.

I'm sure players are dreading playing games in Texas and Florida in a few months.
They're trump supporters because he benefits their bottom line; not because they're idiots. Considering they're mostly all old white men who are high risk factors they might be more concerned with COVID than they typically would be given the financial motivations of the decision.
Of course, they won't be given the option if things continue forward on this trend -- Hospitals are nearing their breaking point already... once there's more people who need to be in the ICU than there are spots death rates are going to skyrocket.
Why would they be concerned? They don't have to be on the field or at the stadium when games are played.

Considering how much pull Trump had with the owners when they blackballed Kaepernick, I'd guess he's an influence in their push to play this season too.
These men aren't going to live in a bubble till all this blows over. It's in their best interest to do what they can to "flatten the curve". Not saying that all of them will think like that, but it's something that will probably weigh on the minds of some.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:07 pm

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/294 ... ource-says

Possibility of fines for COVID violations by players.
Janiel Dones Truther

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:19 am

You could use a neutral unbiased 3rd party to rank the teams, like DLF trade analyzer. Just plug the rosters into the analyzer to get the relative value for each team then set the order accordingly. However, to maintain some semblance of equality, a snake draft order may be called for in this instance. Let's hope it doesn't come to this. :pray:
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:23 am

Hottoddies wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:19 am
You could use a neutral unbiased 3rd party to rank the teams, like DLF trade analyzer. Just plug the rosters into the analyzer to get the relative value for each team then set the order accordingly. However, to maintain some semblance of equality, a snake draft order may be called for in this instance. Let's hope it doesn't come to this. :pray:
No doubt. We may have to discuss this one is our league where we just did the auction start up. I would allow the league to vote on a few options, hopefully we would not have too many issues, as it's a free league, but I can imagine some money leagues it may get testy. These are both good ideas, and ones I will take not of. :thumbup:
Janiel Dones Truther

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:42 am

Yeah, if I was a team that intentionally punted on next season in a startup, then I would be looking to get my money back if there isn't a season and leagues do some sort of lottery system to determine rookie picks.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:47 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:42 am Yeah, if I was a team that intentionally punted on next season in a startup, then I would be looking to get my money back if there isn't a season and leagues do some sort of lottery system to determine rookie picks.
Why? The firsts that you traded for by punting are now more likely to be higher than they would be under normal circumstances. Additionally, depending on when you drafted, you were likely aware of the possibility that the NFL season would be cancelled.

Depending on the league (home/friends and family vs. random group) one option is to run a simulated Madden season and use those for stats. Could even go week to week and run it like an actual season. I have a suspicion that there would be a site or two that would do this and provide the statistics that you could use also.

Id be hesitant to use trade calculator based methods because those are highly influenced by the sites own rankers.
Tm 1
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler, T tracey
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert, T johnson
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Tm 2
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 TE), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: Murray, Watson, Maye, McCarthy, R Wilson, howell
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus, Moss, Zeke,