Falcons wr3: Laquon Treadwell vs Russell Gage

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Falcons wr3: Laquon Treadwell vs Russell Gage

Postby meineymoe » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:40 pm

Historically, the Falcon wr3 has been a serviceable bye week/wr depth play. Bert Emanuel from the mid 1990s is still one of my favorite Falcon players. The little known Russell Gage even garnered notice this past season after the departure of Mohammed Sanu.

I've been a Treadwell apologist, and still hold out hope he will find his niche in the NFL. Could it be here, in the high-powered Falcons pass attack?

I am especially curious because I own both players on a roster that has a roster cut coming next month following the NFL draft, and I have a feeling this will be one of my final decisions to make.

Any thoughts? Insights?
Thanks!
-oo-

JohnnyBoyRoss
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Falcons wr3: Laquon Treadwell vs Russell Gage

Postby JohnnyBoyRoss » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:57 pm

I also picked him up as a flyer in a few leagues. I was a bit skeptical of him coming out, but as his price sank, I bought low hoping that he’d break out at some point. What always made me curious about him is how certain guys who are similar can find success and others fail. Why are hopkins and juju successful, yet Treadwell and (from what we’ve seen so far) Nkeal Harry unsuccessful? All 4 players have very similar profiles coming into the league both physically and in terms of college success. And all 4 had very similar knocks on them coming in. So I am intrigued to see if maybe a change of scenery is the answer.

To answer your overall question, we saw devante parker finally break out after his 5th year, so I’d say the chances are about .5% but I think if treadwell can breakout, a new team is his only hope. If you could hold gage and treadwell I would, but If you could only keep one I’d say treadwell, but don’t lose much sleep over the decision lol.
Team 1
.5 PPR 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2 Flex League 12 teams
QB: Russ, Foles, Taylor
RB: Henry, Sanders, Fournette, Mostert, Dillon, McCoy, R. Freeman
WR: OBJ, Arob, Deebo, Mike Will, Watkins, Ross, Pettis
TE:Olsen, Dissly, Ian Thomas

Team 2
.5 PPR 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2 Flex League 12 teams
Qb: Roethlisberger, Tannehill, Foles, Tyrod, Trubisky, Herbert, Winston
Rb: Chubb, Drake, Dobbins, Bell, Dillon, Penny, R. Freeman
Wr: Thomas, Evans, Chark, AJ Green, Ruggs, Ross
Te: Rudolph, Thomas, Oliver

Team 3
1 PPR 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1 Superflex 1 Flex 12 teams
Qb: Rogers, Mayfield, Brady
Rb: MGIII, David Johnson, Hunt, Coleman, Mostert, McKinnon, Howard, Mattison, L. Murray
Wr: Adams, Evans, Robinson, Cooks, AJG, Ruggs, J. Brown, Edelman, Van Jefferson
Te: Goedert, Ebron, Thomas, Keene

Paul717
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Paul717 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:37 pm

Tough call. According to this link...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... geRu00.htm

...Gage was in on 44% of the snaps last year. Question becomes can one of these two emerge and garner such a share, or will they split in some sort of WR3/WR4 scenario where there isn't much difference? (and both are lower) (I guess that is the crux of your question, lol)

Personally, it would seem like the newcomer would be fighting an uphill battle for game time. It's really close and I'd love to see other fringe keep / drop players on this roster.
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Jordan Love, Deshaun Watson
RB: Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kendre Miller, Jaleel McLaughlin, Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn
WR: A.J. Brown, Garrett Wilson, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Michael Wilson, Kendrick Bourne, Tutu Atwell, Allen Lazard, Isaiah Hodgins, Justin Shorter
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Cole Kmet, Kylen Granson
K: Didn't make the playoffs in 2023 :cry: , and don't usually hold one in the offseason
Team DST: Cowboys, Lions

Picks:
2024: 1.06, 2.06, 4.06, 5.06, 6.06, 7.06, 8.06

Disclaimer: My one and only Championship in this league was way back in 2011. Therefore, take my replies with the appropriate grain of salt. :lol:

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:16 pm

Paul717 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:37 pm It's really close and I'd love to see other fringe keep / drop players on this roster.
12 team ppr idp, 30 man rosters after cutdowns.
I'll have 4 or 5 more to cut, depending on some pending trades. Corey Clement seems like an easy cut right now. TE Ryan Griffin probably. LB Alec Ogletree - I'm stacked at lb so don't need to hold out hope for him. RB Qadree Ollison of the Falcons on the bubble. And I have two dime-a-dozen dbacks I could probably draft back in our free agent draft - Tre Flowers and Kevin King.... though some times I like to hang onto favorite players since we have larger rosters...

I could keep both Gage and Treadwell easily enough. Might be the best option until we can see them in training camp.

-oo-

Paul717
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Paul717 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:52 am

meineymoe wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:16 pm
Paul717 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:37 pm It's really close and I'd love to see other fringe keep / drop players on this roster.
12 team ppr idp, 30 man rosters after cutdowns.
I'll have 4 or 5 more to cut, depending on some pending trades. Corey Clement seems like an easy cut right now. TE Ryan Griffin probably. LB Alec Ogletree - I'm stacked at lb so don't need to hold out hope for him. RB Qadree Ollison of the Falcons on the bubble. And I have two dime-a-dozen dbacks I could probably draft back in our free agent draft - Tre Flowers and Kevin King.... though some times I like to hang onto favorite players since we have larger rosters...

I could keep both Gage and Treadwell easily enough. Might be the best option until we can see them in training camp.

-oo-
I like this idea. The floor is probably a serviceable bye week WR + insurance. The ceiling is much higher if there are injuries to Jones and / or Ridley.
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Jordan Love, Deshaun Watson
RB: Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kendre Miller, Jaleel McLaughlin, Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn
WR: A.J. Brown, Garrett Wilson, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Michael Wilson, Kendrick Bourne, Tutu Atwell, Allen Lazard, Isaiah Hodgins, Justin Shorter
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Cole Kmet, Kylen Granson
K: Didn't make the playoffs in 2023 :cry: , and don't usually hold one in the offseason
Team DST: Cowboys, Lions

Picks:
2024: 1.06, 2.06, 4.06, 5.06, 6.06, 7.06, 8.06

Disclaimer: My one and only Championship in this league was way back in 2011. Therefore, take my replies with the appropriate grain of salt. :lol:

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:19 pm

Could hold both for now as mentioned.

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:43 am

Gator Sens wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:19 pm Could hold both for now as mentioned.
yeah, I suppose it is too early to know which one will have more value. They are probably similarly weighted for different reasons.
-oo-

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:42 pm

Gage. He did more his rookie year compared to anything Treadwell ever did.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Mild sauce goes in the trash. Well done steak goes with it.

Habaneros make the best hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".