Cam Newton Thread - Back to Carolina

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
SpaderDude
Captain
Captain

Re: Cam Newton

Postby SpaderDude » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:40 pm

Without seeing game tape, you are probably right about teams loading up the box to stop the run. The stats seem to cry it as well and that's what teams do to rookie QB's. So, it probably has made it a bit easier for Cam, but he still has to read the defense, avoid the rush, remain poised in the pocket, and make the throws.

I think back to your question moving forward, he will certainly have his ups and down and he has a lot of growing to do. The yardage has been there, but in critical moments, he has made poor decisions like most rookie QB's.

If teams begin to soften up at the line, it will certainly help the running game and make the Panthers a more balanced team. And dropping more into coverage means Cam will have to decipher and possibly make more complicated reads through his progressions, but that's what the maturation process is all about. With less around the line, I think that would make him even more dangerous as a runner as well.

Even if GB played single coverage the entire game, that meant more pressure on Cam at the line of scrimmage and he was still able to avoid the rush and torch them. Let's not forget that GB has a pretty darn good secondary and likes to blitz and leave their corners one on one. So, they are used to playing that way and usually do well at it.

For now though, he has shown a tremendous skill set that has immediately translated to the next level. You just hope he has the desire and work ethic to want to be among the greats.

All this from a non-Newton owner. Call me impressed :crazy:
Team1

10 Team Dynasty, Roster-30, (must contain 2K & 2Def.) Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D

Stafford, Eli, Rivers
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Stewart, Mark Ingram, J. Bell, Christine Michael, Mike James, Tolbert
Calvin, AJG, Julio, Antonio Brown, Gordon, Da'Rick, Streater
Tony G, Finley, Housler, L. Green, Gresham

5, 2014 First Rounders

Team2

12 team, 30-man rosters, 1ppr. Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1K, 1D

Brees, Big Ben
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Ingram, Stewart, C. Michael, Franklin, D. Brown, Helu, B. Rainey, CJ Anderson, Tolbert
Calvin, Nicks, Gordon, Stills, Toon, M. Wilson, Drew Davis, Da'Rick
Gronk, Daniels, G. Graham, Celek

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Postby Water Buffalo » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:03 pm

Misfit74 wrote:One thing I wanted to add is this:

How do you think teams are playing the Panthers through the first two games? Carolina has potent rushing attack to go with that elite offensive line (though they were missing a starting OT, Jeff Otah, yesterday). Teams are defending the Panthers by making Cam beat them - NOT letting the rushing attack of the Panthers beat them. Simple, smart strategy. As Cam continues to prove he can make plays with his arm defenses are going to adjust.

Young QBs have an advantage that they don't always take advantage of this early in their careers and that is having 8, 9, and more defenders 'in the box' leaving open receivers, blown coverages, and generally making it easier to complete passes.

There were times in the past when teams would devote 2 or more players to stop Steve Smith (I know Seattle did it after the historic outing vs. the Bears in IIRC 2005). Steve Smith - even at this age - vs. single coverage is taking candy from a baby.

This is a key factor to consider with regards to the early success of Cam Newton: Cam has faced defenses DARING the team to pass the ball.

Evidence:

Week 1
RBs rushing
:
DWill: 12 carries, 30 yards, 2.5ypc, 0tds, long of 8 yards.
JStew: 7 carries, 26 yards, 3.7ypc, 0tds, long of 13 yards.

Week 2
RBs rushing
:
DWill: 5 carries, 13 yards, 2.6ypc, 0tds, long of 6yards.
JStew: 6 carries, 5 yards, 0.8ypc, 0tds, long of 5yards

So through the first two weeks the Carolina rushing totals by Running Backs - both of whom are elite rushers - is: 30 attempts, 74 yards, 2.4 YPC and 0 TDs, with a longest run of 13 yards.

This is why I say let's give it some time and see what happens. Two great games is two great games (at least great yardage-wise). Teams will adjust. How will Cam fare through an entire season? That question is still unanswered.
This is great and all, solid stats, logic and whatnot. But I think you're overlooking one thing: Teams would have (and did) the same thing last year with Clausen and other garbage at QB. Those QBs were pathetic and put up 0 stats. Newton has done the opposite.

From the beginning of football time, teams have stacked the box and dared rookie QBs to beat them. Some have, some have not. But none have had 900+ yards of offense and 5 TDs in their first two starts, ever, period.

I still don't think that anyone is saying Newton will absolutely 100% be an elite NFL QB or even fantasy QB. Yes, it's only two games and we've got a lot left to see before crowning him. But he's proven that he can put up those stats, and that his potential can turn into fantasy success... and not just a little success, but a LOT of success (again, from a fantasy standpoint specifically). It's already abundantly clear that "upside" isn't just some mythical statement we can hang over his head, but that upside is something he can actually realize in NFL games. And with only 2 games in the books, the fact that you can already make that statement is ridiculous.

RobertBobson
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby RobertBobson » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:39 pm

27/46 374 1td 1int 35 yards rushing 2 rushing td, 38 points in my dynasty league. Every week he makes it harder and harder to hate.
12 team 1 ppr 6 pt all tds
1 qb 2 rb 2 wr 1 rb/wr 1 te 1k
qb Ryan, Vick, nassib, Barkley
RB DMC, Gore, Sporles, Stacy, Hillman, Moreno,
WR aj green,welker, Britt, Blackmon, DeMary
TE Davis, Cook, Housler, Allen

andrewfroboy
Captain
Captain

Postby andrewfroboy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:07 pm

every week i kick myself for not starting him, he is starting to become a matchup proof must start for my team
10 Team PPR, 6 point QB TD pass, Starts 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2RB/WR/TE, 1K, 1D/ST
QB: Cam Newton, Matt Ryan, Josh Freeman, Carson Palmer
RB: Jamaal Charles, Maurice Jones-Drew, Chris Johnson, Jahvid Best, Jonathan Stewart, DeAngelo Williams, Taiwan Jones
WR: AJ Green, Julio Jones, Greg Little, Marques Colston, Michael Crabtree, Antonio Brown, Leonard Hankerson, Damian Williams, Pierre Garçon
TE: Jimmy Graham, Jermichael Finley, Aaron Hernandez
K: Mason Crosby
D/ST: Lions
2012: 3 3 4

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Postby Water Buffalo » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:49 pm

RobertBobson wrote:27/46 374 1td 1int 35 yards rushing 2 rushing td, 38 points in my dynasty league. Every week he makes it harder and harder to hate.
Yeah, I don't know how anyone could hate at this point. Even after the monsoon game last week, he's going to be the 2nd or 3rd (depending on how Rodgers finishes) highest scoring fantasy QB thus far this year.

Aside from the obvious names (Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Vick) I don't think ANYONE is a must start over Newton at this point. You might still be starting Romo, Rivers or Stafford depending on matchups, but I'm ABSOLUTELY starting Newton over Roethlisberger, Freeman, Bradford, Ryan, Schaub, Flacco, Fitzpatrick, Eli, Kolb, Sanchez, etc at this point.

The fact that after 4 games, a rookie QB is in the 5-8 range of must starts for fantasy purposes is very, very ridiculous.

standard_variance
Starter
Starter

Postby standard_variance » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:19 pm

cam Newton juked the SH!@#$%^&*(T out of the entire bears defensive line on one play today.....OMG.
"We must be keenly alive to the defects of our own faith also, yet not leave it on that account, but try to overcome those defects." -Ghandi

There is a difference between argument, and dogmatic assertion. Argument leaves room for change, and improvement, dogma only leaves room for acceptance.

In honor of Gino - "Strong Fantasy Quarterbacks are the cornerstone to any successful Dynasty team"

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:04 pm

Cam Newton is rising very fast for me. I'd have a hard time not drafting him in the top 8 dynasty QBs right now.
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

RobertBobson
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby RobertBobson » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:35 pm

kris_kapsner wrote:Cam Newton is rising very fast for me. I'd have a hard time not drafting him in the top 8 dynasty QBs right now.

yeah, the only young qb i'd think of taking ahead of him is stafford, and i dunno if I'd do that.

general mills
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby general mills » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:55 pm

Is Cam the problem with D. Williams or J. Stewarts performance? Or are defenses crowding the line of scrimmage? One league I have Brees starting and Cam on the bench and actually have found myself debating if I should start Cam over Brees. Crazy!!!

RobertBobson
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby RobertBobson » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:44 pm

I'm already starting him over schaub and freeman

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Postby Water Buffalo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:51 am

Just throwing this stat nugget out there:

Last year, when Michael Vick single-handedly won many people's fantasy leagues with his over the top ridiculous year, he averaged 26.36 fantasy points per game in my relatively standard scoring league (4 pt passing tds, 6 pt rushing tds). Vick was so good last year that many "experts" felt he was a 1st round redraft lock this year, some even advocating taking him #1 overall.

This year, through 4 games, 1 of which was borderline impossible to pass in due to weather conditions, Newton is averaging 27.45 points per game.

knuckles50
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby knuckles50 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:44 pm

If you don't see that Cam will be the top scorer in Fantasy football as early as possibly next year, then you are in denial. Face it, we have never seen anything like him. He is the goalline back who scored 2 rushing tds while almost toping 400 yards against on of the leagues best defenses. The cat is out of the bag, if you snooze you lose.
Team 1
12 team, 1/2 ppr 1 qb, 2 rbs, 3 wr, 1 flex, 1 te
QBs-Brees,Luck,Bridgewater
RBs- LeVeon,Ingram,R. Freeman,Thompson,Riddick,Conner,Walton,J. Jackson,Dixon
WRs- Evans,A Rob,Parker,Hurns,Sutton,Pettis,Moncrief,Treadwell,Sanu,Tavon,Dorsett,Carroo
TEs- Gronk,Kittle,Butt

Team 2
12 team 1 qb, 2rbs,v 3wrs, 1te
Qbs- Brees,Cam,Cousins,Jackson
Rbs- Gurley,Zeke,Kamara,McCaffery,Hunt,Shady
Wrs-A. Brown,Evans,C. Davis,Watkins,Goodwin,Woods,Washington,Treadwell,Jordy
Te- Gronk,Kittle,ASJ

RobertBobson
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby RobertBobson » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:07 pm

knuckles50 wrote: The cat is out of the bag, if you snooze you lose.

nice double cliche!

knuckles50
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby knuckles50 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:13 pm

RobertBobson wrote:
knuckles50 wrote: The cat is out of the bag, if you snooze you lose.

nice double cliche!
Thanks, I smiled as I wrote it. More cheez pleez.
Team 1
12 team, 1/2 ppr 1 qb, 2 rbs, 3 wr, 1 flex, 1 te
QBs-Brees,Luck,Bridgewater
RBs- LeVeon,Ingram,R. Freeman,Thompson,Riddick,Conner,Walton,J. Jackson,Dixon
WRs- Evans,A Rob,Parker,Hurns,Sutton,Pettis,Moncrief,Treadwell,Sanu,Tavon,Dorsett,Carroo
TEs- Gronk,Kittle,Butt

Team 2
12 team 1 qb, 2rbs,v 3wrs, 1te
Qbs- Brees,Cam,Cousins,Jackson
Rbs- Gurley,Zeke,Kamara,McCaffery,Hunt,Shady
Wrs-A. Brown,Evans,C. Davis,Watkins,Goodwin,Woods,Washington,Treadwell,Jordy
Te- Gronk,Kittle,ASJ

yankdog
Role Player
Role Player

Cam Newton Dynasty Strategy 2012

Postby yankdog » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:10 pm

Question for you Cam Newton owners out there....

So, now that we are getting close to Fantasy Football Playoffs and my team is not likely to make much noise unfortunately, I have a question about QB strategy in Dynasty Leagues since this is my first year. I have Cam Newton and he's great. But I honestly don't know how to think of him. He is phenomenal but still a rookie. So, should I try to supplement Cam next year by picking up or drafting a more steady veteran QB just in case Cam hits the 2nd year blues? Or should I just have faith in his abilities next year, think of him as playing at such a high prospect and try to go for a younger QB since there may be 3 or 4 QBs in the 2012 draft who might be franchise QB material. So the question is should the 2nd back up QB I shoot for be a veteran or a younger struggling stud with great upside. The latter runs the risk of both Cam and the young stud (who I will get because I'll draft high) struggling in the same year.

Thoughts? Thank you in advance.
Team A: 12 Team PPR, 24 Player Roster, Start 2-3RBs, 3-4WRs, 1TE
QB: Arod, Ryan, Fitz
RB: Lynch, AP, Ridley, Gerhart, Redman, Pierce
WR: AJ, Jordy, Little, Collie, Meachem, T. Young,D. Baldwin
TE: Davis
K: Kasay
Def: SF

Team B: 12 Team PPR, 24 Player Roster, Start 2-4RBs, 2-4WRs, 1-3TEs
QB: Peyton Manning, Luck and Colt McCoy
RB: Ogbonnaya, Martin, Turbin, Gray, Herron
WRs: Decker, Hankerson, Benn, Doucet, HIll, Wright, Broyles,Jenkins