Combine predictions

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Combine predictions

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:20 am

killer_of_giants wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:02 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:47 am I think his 40 coming into college was a 4.59, and that's hand timed, so really like a 4.64
not having a go at you, but i've seen this a lot of times: hand timing is of course unreliable, but why always in the same direction?
couldn't it actually be 4.54?

i also don't get why 40 times are so important, if you have the shits or just didn't sleep well you could easily lose some fractions of a second. ok as a broad indication, but not the be all end all it seems to be.
Typically, no. Hand times are almost alway faster. It's why Player Profiler adds .05 seconds to pro day times. It's been documented, but the finish its typically fairly accurate, and it takes the brain about .05 seconds or so to trigger the watch once the player starts in motion, so it tends to lend to a faster time. I'm sure there are exceptions, but regardless in this case, Shenault would have really had to develop athletically since HS to blaze a sub 4.4.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Packerland
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Packerland » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:23 am

Johnny B. Goode wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:16 am
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:44 am
Johnny B. Goode wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:02 am Swift will be the biggest post combine climber
Interesting take considering his rookie ADP is already 1.01 and his startup ADP is 27th. How high do you think he’ll rise after the combine?
You've apparently been missing the giant hate fest going on with Swift in forums (not this one) and Twitter. It started with PFF. The trendy thing to say is that Swift is no better than RB3 or even RB4 in this class

His combine will remind those people why he is the 1.01
If anything I think the hate fest is for JT. All I hear is that he's got too much mileage and cant catch, plus he's a Wisconsin RB and that his oline made him. Swift seems to be most peoples 1.01 IMO.
10 Team .5 PPR 1 QB League

QB: Goff, Brady, Herbert, Tannehill
RB: CEH, JT, Akers, Dobbins, Mixon
WR: Adams, Godwin, McLaurin, Lamb, Chark, Claypool, Pittman, Diontae, Anderson
TE: Andrews, Goedert

Picks:
2021: 4 1sts, 1 2nd
2022: 1 1st, 2 2nds

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:26 am

Johnny B. Goode wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:02 am Swift will be the biggest post combine climber
Interesting take considering his rookie ADP is already 1.01 and his startup ADP is 27th. How high do you think he’ll rise after the combine?
You've apparently been missing the giant hate fest going on with Swift in forums (not this one) and Twitter. It started with PFF. The trendy thing to say is that Swift is no better than RB3 or even RB4 in this class

What do you expect him to do? I'm curious, because Dobbins and Taylor seem to be top end athletes, themselves. I don't think there is a real 1.01, at this point, just curious what you think he's going to do at the combine that puts him there.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:31 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:26 am

What do you expect him to do? I'm curious, because Dobbins and Taylor seem to be top end athletes, themselves. I don't think there is a real 1.01, at this point, just curious what you think he's going to do at the combine that puts him there.
Yeah, I’m also curious. I’m not sure Swift is going to separate from those two guys athletically.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:36 am

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:42 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:20 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:47 am I think his 40 coming into college was a 4.59, and that's hand timed, so really like a 4.64
not having a go at you, but i've seen this a lot of times: hand timing is of course unreliable, but why always in the same direction?

i also don't get why 40 times are so important, if you have the shits or just didn't sleep well you could easily lose some fractions of a second. ok as a broad indication, but not the be all end all it seems to be.
Typically, no. Hand times are almost alway faster. It's why Player Profiler adds .05 seconds to pro day times. It's been documented, but the finish its typically fairly accurate, and it takes the brain about .05 seconds or so to trigger the watch once the player starts in motion, so it tends to lend to a faster time. I'm sure there are accessions, but regardless in this case, Shenault would have really had to develop athletically since HS to blaze a sub 4.4.
cheers!

i imagined both the runner and the "timer" would start on the same audio signal taking that offset out.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:54 am

killer_of_giants wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:42 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:20 am

Typically, no. Hand times are almost alway faster. It's why Player Profiler adds .05 seconds to pro day times. It's been documented, but the finish its typically fairly accurate, and it takes the brain about .05 seconds or so to trigger the watch once the player starts in motion, so it tends to lend to a faster time. I'm sure there are accessions, but regardless in this case, Shenault would have really had to develop athletically since HS to blaze a sub 4.4.
cheers!

i imagined both the runner and the "timer" would start on the same audio signal taking that offset out.
No worries. I don't know why I typed accessions, it meant to say exceptions. Anyway, It is possible in 3 years Shenault has become much more athletic, he just wasn't a fantastic athlete coming out of High School.

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:05 pm

Packerland wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:19 am Solid predictions!
Thanks. We will see how solid they are soon haha.
FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:47 am
I question how much of an athlete he (Shenault) really is. I think his 40 coming into college was a 4.59, and that's hand timed, so really like a 4.64, and he had a 31 inch vertical. Obviously he's gotten bigger and stronger, but I just don't know that he blows up the combine as some are predicting.
My prediction isn't so much that he blows up the combine, but more that he hits good numbers across the board. I don't think he's going to be the fastest, highest jumper, but the collective package could be impressive.
It's not uncommon for guys to shave 0.1-0.2s of their 40 from HS to the combine. Vertical, I'm not so sure.

Btw, Where do you find HS workout numbers? I've seen them on 247 recruiting site, but they are pretty tedious to look through in my experience. I'd love to hear about a better resource.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:42 pm

ColdZealDonkeyStrike wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:05 pm
Packerland wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:19 am Solid predictions!
Thanks. We will see how solid they are soon haha.
FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:47 am
I question how much of an athlete he (Shenault) really is. I think his 40 coming into college was a 4.59, and that's hand timed, so really like a 4.64, and he had a 31 inch vertical. Obviously he's gotten bigger and stronger, but I just don't know that he blows up the combine as some are predicting.
My prediction isn't so much that he blows up the combine, but more that he hits good numbers across the board. I don't think he's going to be the fastest, highest jumper, but the collective package could be impressive.
It's not uncommon for guys to shave 0.1-0.2s of their 40 from HS to the combine. Vertical, I'm not so sure.

Btw, Where do you find HS workout numbers? I've seen them on 247 recruiting site, but they are pretty tedious to look through in my experience. I'd love to hear about a better resource.
This is where I got Laviska's from.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/foot ... henault-jr

Here is Dobbins, who I also mentioned earlier.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/foot ... jk-dobbins

They've both put on weight, so it's tough to gauge how that will affect the results next week, but as you can see, Dobbins was a premier athlete at the time, and they were both at basically the same weight when they tested.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:39 pm

They also likely haven’t been on high end athletic training programs in HS, or fully formed athletes at 17-18 vs 21-23 years old. Also technique is a huge part of running the 40, and just a bad stance or release can really rack up FRACTIONS of a second, but these guys are all training with workout gurus and performance centers preparing for the combine to get in the best shape possible, and learn the optimal form for performing in these events.

I put zero stock in HS 40 times, we'll find out soon enough how they actually test.

Johnny B. Goode
Starter
Starter

Postby Johnny B. Goode » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:54 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:31 am

Yeah, I’m also curious. I’m not sure Swift is going to separate from those two guys athletically.
Dobbins stands to be the sparq darling. Taylor is going to run pretty well but about what people expect. Swift, IMO runs a 4.45 40, which when you add up everything else he can do he should be 1.01 hands down. I never understand how people let the combine affect their rankings a great deal. I'm most interested in height, weight, and if anyone runs over a 4.5 40.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:13 pm

Johnny B. Goode wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:54 pm

Dobbins stands to be the sparq darling. Taylor is going to run pretty well but about what people expect. Swift, IMO runs a 4.45 40, which when you add up everything else he can do he should be 1.01 hands down. I never understand how people let the combine affect their rankings a great deal. I'm most interested in height, weight, and if anyone runs over a 4.5 40.
Fair. What if Swift comes in smaller. Like 5 ft 8, 210 pounds? What does that do for you?

Johnny B. Goode
Starter
Starter

Postby Johnny B. Goode » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:48 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:13 pm
Johnny B. Goode wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:54 pm

Fair. What if Swift comes in smaller. Like 5 ft 8, 210 pounds? What does that do for you?
that's a pretty solid rb bmi

Swift stands to have one of, if not the best bmi of the top 3 rbs.

Packerland
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Packerland » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:51 pm

5'8" 210 lbs seems small to me, and he had a shoulder problem already this year. I would be very concerned, but that's just me.
10 Team .5 PPR 1 QB League

QB: Goff, Brady, Herbert, Tannehill
RB: CEH, JT, Akers, Dobbins, Mixon
WR: Adams, Godwin, McLaurin, Lamb, Chark, Claypool, Pittman, Diontae, Anderson
TE: Andrews, Goedert

Picks:
2021: 4 1sts, 1 2nd
2022: 1 1st, 2 2nds

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:29 pm

Packerland wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:51 pm 5'8" 210 lbs seems small to me, and he had a shoulder problem already this year. I would be very concerned, but that's just me.
Emmitt Smith 5’ 9” 210. Just saying....

You Worry too much. Smith was a beast playing with a bad shoulder one year. 😁
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts