Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Nick Foles

Postby Lotto4Life » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:42 pm

ericanadian wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:08 pm
Lotto4Life wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:07 pm
ericanadian wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:43 pm

Wentz started his rookie season on fire and then ran into Minnesota and then everything kind of fell apart at that point. His season totals were mostly bad, but he had shown enough in those opening five games to give hope for the following season. I don't trust my memory well enough to comment on how Foles' rookie season looked but his stats were pretty consistently mediocre and I think him and Vick were trading time off with concussions. To be fair, it was a rookie season for a third rounder pushed into duty on a bad team with a weak o-line...

...but it was still mostly garbage.
Quarterback rating of 105.9 under Reid in Kansas City.
Based mostly on one game against a team (Indy) that gave up a rating in the high nineties over the course of the whole season. He put up a 135 rating against them. His other game he put up an 86.5 against Jacksonville who gave up 88 and change against the league as a whole.
Don't see how those equate to garbage. He was in essence average against one of them (and got the win) and 35+ more than average against the other (also a win).

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:51 pm

If Case Keenum gets a contract to be a starter, I think Foles has a decent shot next year.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Mild sauce goes in the trash. Well done steak goes with it.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:17 pm

Valhalla wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:47 pm
ericanadian wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:43 pm ...but it was still mostly garbage.
Yes...and he followed that up...how?

He's done more than most QBs that get numerous chances. The one thing he doesn't have going for him that other guys had is draft capital...and just look at the history of the NFL to get an idea of how "right" they usually are on predicting QBs. Unfortunately, the NFL isn't likely to change their habits.
Aren’t there something like 20 first round draft pick starting QBs?

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:27 pm

Assuming all 5 of the 1st round QBs become starters at some point we currently have 24-26 1st round QBs starting in the NFL

Mayfield
Darnold
Rosen*
Allen
Jackson*
Trubisky
Mahomes
Watson
Goff
Wentz
Winston
Mariota
Bortles
Luck
Tannehill
Newton
Bradford
Stafford
Ryan
Flacco
Rodgers
Smith
Manning
Rivers
Roethlisberger
Brees

Other 1sts still in league

Lynch
Bridgewater
Manuel
RG III
Weeden
Gabbert

* - behind QBs who were also 1st round picks
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:35 pm

Non 1st round QBs currently as starters

Keenum UDFA - Broncos*
Brady 6th round - Patriots
Taylor 6th round - Browns*
Prescott 4th round - Cowboys
Cousins 4th round - Vikings
Wilson 3rd round - Seahawks
Dalton 2nd round - Bengals
Carr 2nd round - Raiders
Garoppolo 2nd round - 49ers

* - has 1st round QB behind him

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:51 am

Lotto4Life wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:42 pm
ericanadian wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:08 pm
Lotto4Life wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:07 pm
Quarterback rating of 105.9 under Reid in Kansas City.
Based mostly on one game against a team (Indy) that gave up a rating in the high nineties over the course of the whole season. He put up a 135 rating against them. His other game he put up an 86.5 against Jacksonville who gave up 88 and change against the league as a whole.
Don't see how those equate to garbage. He was in essence average against one of them (and got the win) and 35+ more than average against the other (also a win).
They don't. Hence, "mostly garbage" with all the garbage coming from his games in Philly.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:45 am

Valhalla wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:05 am
Orenthal Shames wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:56 am If the entire league is holding 3 or 4 qbs and at least 1 kicker and DST, the rb/wr talent pool available in that shallow a league ought to be better than Foles by comparison.
True, but that talent pool will always be available on the waivers. There will always be options to pick up and play a John Brown or whatever off waivers. As soon as there's news of a possibility Foles is starting, there's no chance he will sit on waivers. I suppose asking the OP is the best way to know, but I'm speculating that even in a league like this, any starting QBs get sucked up right away and people just stream their back up RBs and WRs with the good options on the waivers.
At least...that's how I'd play this league.
I think your speculation would be correct.
I'm sure there's a team or two with 5 qbs and 2 DSTs, leaving top 120 type guys available all year to stream. That is gross.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:57 pm

ericanadian wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:03 pm
ericanadian wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:43 pm ...but it was still mostly garbage.

He's done more than most QBs that get numerous chances. The one thing he doesn't have going for him that other guys had is draft capital...and just look at the history of the NFL to get an idea of how "right" they usually are on predicting QBs. Unfortunately, the NFL isn't likely to change their habits.
He followed that up by lucking into a coach with an offense that made Mark Sanchez look like a decent QB... There's a little more to this than just draft capital.
Yes...there is more to this than a lack of draft capital. I don't hinge my arguments on that. And "lucking into" may not have been Foles lucking into Chip's system. I see it as Chip lucking into Foles' ability to run that system. He's the only QB that ran it well, with Chip's numerous attempts. Chip's "non-Foles" win/loss record is just plain bad. His "Foles starting" win/loss record was VERY good. Foles made that system click, and none of the others did quite like him. So...is it more fair to say that Chip made Foles...or that Foles saved Chip's system? I know where I stand.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:04 pm

Did you know...Foles handed Chip a 14-4 record (and I believe saved another game that he entered in place of a struggling Vick). Do you know how Chip fared without Foles starting? 14-31.
78% winning record with Foles at the helm...
31% winning record with someone other than Foles running the "Foles-gold" system...

So...how exactly is this Chip and the system making Foles?

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:05 pm

Valhalla wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:57 pm
ericanadian wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:03 pm

He followed that up by lucking into a coach with an offense that made Mark Sanchez look like a decent QB... There's a little more to this than just draft capital.
Yes...there is more to this than a lack of draft capital. I don't hinge my arguments on that. And "lucking into" may not have been Foles lucking into Chip's system. I see it as Chip lucking into Foles' ability to run that system. He's the only QB that ran it well, with Chip's numerous attempts. Chip's "non-Foles" win/loss record is just plain bad. His "Foles starting" win/loss record was VERY good. Foles made that system click, and none of the others did quite like him. So...is it more fair to say that Chip made Foles...or that Foles saved Chip's system? I know where I stand.
Could be. Could also be that Vick was done (and turnover prone even at his best) and Chip Kelly's high octane offense caught people on their heels and teams adjusted after the first year. Foles himself went from an otherworldly statistical season to simply above average and pretty much in line with how Bradford & Sanchez performed in the system after the first magical season.

I look more at their defense when I try to explain where Kelly went wrong. They went from 17th in points against to 23rd to 28th over Kelly's three year tenure. Sure, some of that may be due to more turnovers, but 2 picks in 10 starts was never sustainable for anyone, much less Foles.

I'm sure trading McCoy away and bringing a run down Murray and Demeco Ryans (the leader of their defense) going down at the same time as Foles probably didn't help things either.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:54 pm

Valhalla wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:04 pm Did you know...Foles handed Chip a 14-4 record (and I believe saved another game that he entered in place of a struggling Vick). Do you know how Chip fared without Foles starting? 14-31.
31% winning record with someone other than Foles running the "Foles-gold" system...

"BOOM!"

That one packed a punch. Well done. :clap:
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:05 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:54 pm
Valhalla wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:04 pm Did you know...Foles handed Chip a 14-4 record (and I believe saved another game that he entered in place of a struggling Vick). Do you know how Chip fared without Foles starting? 14-31.

"BOOM!"

Except Foles is 8-13 in games not coached by Chip Kelly. :wink: :mrgreen:

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:36 pm

ArrylT wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:05 pm

"BOOM!"

Valhalla’s ignoring anything that doesn’t line up with the silly point he’s trying to make.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:38 pm

ArrylT wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:35 pm Non 1st round QBs currently as starters

Keenum UDFA - Broncos*
Brady 6th round - Patriots
Taylor 6th round - Browns*
Prescott 4th round - Cowboys
Cousins 4th round - Vikings
Wilson 3rd round - Seahawks
Dalton 2nd round - Bengals
Carr 2nd round - Raiders
Garoppolo 2nd round - 49ers

* - has 1st round QB behind him
Wow, 6 starters not drafted in the first 2 rounds. Seems like the NFL actually does a good job of getting it right.

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:44 am

ArrylT wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:05 pm

"BOOM!"

1-5 as a rookie (with a QB rating higher than Donovan McNabb's rookie season under Reid)
4-7 with Jeff Fischer
His 1 loss in 2017 was a throwaway game against Dallas

He's practically undefeated.