Lamar Jackson is the best QB in the NFL & Fantasy

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
CGW
Legend
Legend

Re: Lamar Jackson is the best QB in the NFL & Fantasy

Postby CGW » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:03 pm

Should be an excellent game, but the one weakness SF has is a scrambling QB. Murray almost beat them twice with a much worse team than the ravens and Wilson did beat them with one of his better rushing games of the year.

Also- All it takes is one hit on a running QB to have his career derailed. But how many more hits does it take to knock out a pocket passer?
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Burrow
RB |
WR | Puka, Olave, Smith, Flowers, Dotson, Addison
TE | Pitts, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1.01, 1.02, 4.01, 5.01
| 1stx3, 3rdx3

10 Team | SF | PPR | 2023 Champ

QB | Allen, Stroud, Young
RB | K Williams, White, Monty, Herbert, Chandler
WR | Lamb, AJB, Puka, Waddle, Mooney, J. Williams, Watson, Davis
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1.04, 3.10

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, K Williams, Singletary, Henry, A Jones, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Puka, Flowers, Downs,
TE | Hockenson, Likely, Otton

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:09 pm

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:02 pm Mahomes is Aaron Rodgers in his prime as a passer and has 75% of Jackson's mobility and rushing upside.
75%?

I agree with your assessment entirely, but I'll also give Lamar the credit he deserves on his rushing ability. He is on pace to finish with 1200 rushing yards in a season. Id say mahommes has similar mobility but maybe about 30% of his rushing upside (400 yards).
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD

QB | Burrow
RB |
WR | Puka, Olave, Smith, Flowers, Dotson, Addison
TE | Pitts, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1.01, 1.02, 4.01, 5.01
| 1stx3, 3rdx3

10 Team | SF | PPR | 2023 Champ

QB | Allen, Stroud, Young
RB | K Williams, White, Monty, Herbert, Chandler
WR | Lamb, AJB, Puka, Waddle, Mooney, J. Williams, Watson, Davis
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1.04, 3.10

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, K Williams, Singletary, Henry, A Jones, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Puka, Flowers, Downs,
TE | Hockenson, Likely, Otton

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:29 pm

DinoDynasty wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:49 am Mahomes vs Lamar is like asking would you rather have a younger Rodgers in his prime or Vick. There's arguments for both sides in fantasy but I think most front offices would opt for Rodgers.

But let's all just be happy that for once the Patriots missed on their scouting reports and didn't draft Lamar 31st overall.
They aren't really any better at drafting than any other team, they're probably middle of the pack really. Where they excel is game planning, preparation and knowing how to get the best out of the players out of the majority of the players on their roster.

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:32 pm

CGW wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:09 pm
WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:02 pm Mahomes is Aaron Rodgers in his prime as a passer and has 75% of Jackson's mobility and rushing upside.
75%?

I agree with your assessment entirely, but I'll also give Lamar the credit he deserves on his rushing ability. He is on pace to finish with 1200 rushing yards in a season. Id say mahommes has similar mobility but maybe about 30% of his rushing upside (400 yards).
Fair enough, perhaps 50% would be more a more realistic percentage, but we really don't / won't ever know because Mahomes often uses his mobility to scramble and find guys downfield a la Russell Wilson, whereas Jackson will take the 8-10 rushing yards and quite often more. Jackson's runs are exhilarating, and I love watching him play, and I'm not at all questioning Jackson's talent. However, I'd much rather my fantasy and real life QB make those plays downfield and protect himself in the process.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:33 pm

CGW wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:09 pm
75%?

Yeah, not a chance. I still have Mahomes well above Lamar, but no chance he has 75 percent of his rushing upside. Mahomes does have "plus" mobility and elite arm talent, and that matters, though. Any GM with a gun to their head and a choice between the two to start their franchise would take Mahomes, though.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Mild sauce goes in the trash. Well done steak goes with it.

Habaneros make the best hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:51 pm

It is really about time to stop questioning Lamar Jackson's throwing ability and time to face the reality that this Ravens team with Jackson at the helm is the most balanced team we have ever seen in the NFL.

While he won't throw it as much as several QB's it is because he doesn't need to throw it more. This team had a 2-1 time of possession lead last night holding the ball for 40 minutes with 6 straight TD drives.

Even given the fact they run the ball like a runaway freight train, Lamar is tied with Russell Wilson for a league leading 24 touchdown passes on 53 less attempts. Jackson has already had 2 perfect passer ratings this year.

Further Lamar is just behind Wilson in completion percentage 66.9 to 67.3 and yards average is 8.3 for Wilson and 8.1 for Lamar.

QBR, Wilson is 2nd in the NFL at 112.1. Lamar is tied for 3rd at 111.4

The biggest difference is Lamar is 9th in the NFL in rushing at 876 yards with a league leading 7.1 YPC and has 6 rushing TD's.

The next closest running QB is Murray with less than half that total at 418 with 3 TD's
Wilson is at number 52 in rushing with 271 and 3 TD's.

L. Jackson now has 30 total TD's. No matter how one wants to frame the conversation we are witnessing history this year in the NFL. What he is doing as never been done before over a season.

This kid is smashing records. While he may not win MVP this year he is now clearly the front runner.

In all of my years following this game, I do not recall a team ever passing for 222 per game average and running it 210 per game on average.

Time to enjoy as we may not see a season like this again for decades.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:58 pm

Ice wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:51 pm It is really about time to stop questioning Lamar Jackson's throwing ability and time to face the reality that this Ravens team with Jackson at the helm is the most balanced team we have ever seen in the NFL.

While he won't throw it as much as several QB's it is because he doesn't need to throw it more. This team had a 2-1 time of possession lead last night holding the ball for 40 minutes with 6 straight TD drives.

Even given the fact they run the ball like a runaway freight train, Lamar is tied with Russell Wilson for a league leading 24 touchdown passes on 53 less attempts. Jackson has already had 2 perfect passer ratings this year.

Further Lamar is just behind Wilson in completion percentage 66.9 to 67.3 and yards average is 8.3 for Wilson and 8.1 for Lamar.

QBR, Wilson is 2nd in the NFL at 112.1. Lamar is tied for 3rd at 111.4

The biggest difference is Lamar is 9th in the NFL in rushing at 876 yards with a league leading 7.1 YPC and has 6 rushing TD's.

The next closest running QB is Murray with less than half that total at 418 with 3 TD's
Wilson is at number 52 in rushing with 271 and 3 TD's.

L. Jackson now has 30 total TD's. No matter how one wants to frame the conversation we are witnessing history this year in the NFL. What he is doing as never been done before over a season.

This kid is smashing records. While he may not win MVP this year he is now clearly the front runner.

In all of my years following this game, I do not recall a team ever passing for 222 per game average and running it 210 per game on average.

Time to enjoy as we may not a season like this again.
Because it's never been done, they had a graphic last night showing no team has ever averaged 200 yards passing and 200 yards rushing per game in an entire season, or even this deep into the season.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:10 pm

To a few points people made, above (and this is not to discount what Lamar is doing, but just to give it some context). Michael Vick came into the league with a team that had earned the first overall pick. Lamar Jackson came into a team with a much, much better team around him. Vick's YPC were 8.4, and Jackson's is 7.1. The situation Lamar is doing this in is far superior to the one Vick had. They have more opportunities with the football and chances of sustaining drives. Lamar will break Vick's record, but I think it's important to understand Vick's situation was not nearly as good as the one Lamar has.

I agree with Ice that this situation of seeing the run/pass balance will probably not happen again anytime soon.
Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:32 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:10 pm To a few points people made, above (and this is not to discount what Lamar is doing, but just to give it some context). Michael Vick came into the league with a team that had earned the first overall pick. Lamar Jackson came into a team with a much, much better team around him. Vick's YPC were 8.4, and Jackson's is 7.1. The situation Lamar is doing this in is far superior to the one Vick had. They have more opportunities with the football and chances of sustaining drives. Lamar will break Vick's record, but I think it's important to understand Vick's situation was not nearly as good as the one Lamar has.

I agree with Ice that this situation of seeing the run/pass balance will probably not happen again anytime soon.
But if you asked anyone before the season, Lamar's situation wasn't that good at all sooo

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:58 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:32 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:10 pm To a few points people made, above (and this is not to discount what Lamar is doing, but just to give it some context). Michael Vick came into the league with a team that had earned the first overall pick. Lamar Jackson came into a team with a much, much better team around him. Vick's YPC were 8.4, and Jackson's is 7.1. The situation Lamar is doing this in is far superior to the one Vick had. They have more opportunities with the football and chances of sustaining drives. Lamar will break Vick's record, but I think it's important to understand Vick's situation was not nearly as good as the one Lamar has.

But if you asked anyone before the season, Lamar's situation wasn't that good at all sooo
Exactly. I don't get what we're doing here with comments like that. Such revisionist history...

Did the Patriots "miss" with their scouting report? No, not at all. They looked at a QB with a unique skillset that would require a complete retooling of the Patriots offense as we know it. He didn't "fit" what they were doing, and taking him would have been an enormous middle finger to Brady less than 6 months removed from the Jimmy G situation.

Why do we care that his "situation" was worse than Vicks? If you want to play that game, then start with the lede proper: the LEAGUE is a better situation for Lamar in 2019 than it was for Vick in 2001. QB's are more protected than ever. Bad hits are being litigated out of the game with every offseason rules change. Teams have moved away from hard hitting styles toward extreme speed and space schemes.

It's the perfect storm for Lamar. He's the future of the game, and the future is now.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:08 pm

mild wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:58 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:32 pm

Exactly. I don't get what we're doing here with comments like that. Such revisionist history...

Did the Patriots "miss" with their scouting report? No, not at all. They looked at a QB with a unique skillset that would require a complete retooling of the Patriots offense as we know it. He didn't "fit" what they were doing, and taking him would have been an enormous middle finger to Brady less than 6 months removed from the Jimmy G situation.

Why do we care that his "situation" was worse than Vicks? If you want to play that game, then start with the lede proper: the LEAGUE is a better situation for Lamar in 2019 than it was for Vick in 2001. QB's are more protected than ever. Bad hits are being litigated out of the game with every offseason rules change. Teams have moved away from hard hitting styles toward extreme speed and space schemes.

It's the perfect storm for Lamar. He's the future of the game, and the future is now.
My point was that Vick came into the league on the worst team in the league, and Lamar came into the league on a 9-7 team. People were making the point about Jackson having an ideal situation, and also saying he was smashing records. My point is, what Vick did, especially as a runner, with what was around him, was just as special. I was around to see both. I wasn't taking away from Lamar, as much as wanting to say what Vick did on the ground was absolutely amazing. As is what Lamar is doing. He has the opportunity to set the bar higher now, because he's in a better situation, with similar talent.
Janiel Dones Truther

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:11 pm

I wonder if Lamar would have put up better numbers on a slightly worse team because then he'd actually have to play in the 4th quarter 😂

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:32 pm

You're seeing Mahomes + Wilson have off nights that are absolutely brutal for your team, while Lamar feels like he's putting up 25+ no matter what and if you're facing him, it's like, "F***". As long as Lamar's rushing ability maintains, I think you might have to take him over Mahomes for fantasy purposes.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:00 pm

There were some that were beating the pro Lamar drum and were excited about how this organization was drafting players built around speed.

That said, none of us really expected, I suspect, his ascent to be so rapid.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:04 pm

Ice wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:00 pm There were some that were beating the pro Lamar drum and were excited about how this organization was drafting players built around speed.

That said, none of us really expected, I suspect, his ascent to be so rapid.
I drafted him heavily as a rookie because I saw the potential for something like this, but I definitely didn't see it happening in year 2.