You Can Trade Away RoJo Now... Last Chance?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Re: You Can Trade Away RoJo Now... Last Chance?

Postby Phaded » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:47 am

Personally, I think counting on any TB running back is a fools errand.

And I say this as someone who bought Jones super cheap in my 16-keeper.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:22 am

Lol I love the posts of Mike absolutely shredding RoJo. Look forward to the next guy we see Mike dump on

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:40 am

Jigga94 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:22 am Lol I love the posts of Mike absolutely shredding RoJo. Look forward to the next guy we see Mike dump on
I am sure we all do - until it becomes one of our guys. :lol:

More seriously, I think I am being convinced the odds are lessening that Ronald Jones can be relevant - at least as it goes early on in 2019. Whether or not he is capable of overcoming his mistakes or not has yet to be seen. However his draft capital & situation suggest he will get further opportunities to show he has taken the next step / can earn a significant role on a team. Not every player matures/develops/learns at the same rate, and there is a difference between not having matured/developed/learned and not being able to.

I think this is a guy we will be checking in on, on a monthly, if not weekly, basis to see if his game is improving. Do not blame anyone who has already given up, simply because of the amount of choice out there.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:46 am

Jigga94 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:22 am Lol I love the posts of Mike absolutely shredding RoJo. Look forward to the next guy we see Mike dump on
It's only fun if there are people who think I'm wrong. And there's still a few!

As for the next guy, I've got my eye closely on Darrell Henderson... but I feel that may be more the fault of the Rams than the player. They kept putting him in situations that play to his weaknesses last week. They need to utilize DH in space for him to be effective, a-la a third down role.
ArrylT wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:40 am Whether or not he is capable of overcoming his mistakes or not has yet to be seen. However his draft capital & situation suggest he will get further opportunities to show he has taken the next step / can earn a significant role on a team. Not every player matures/develops/learns at the same rate, and there is a difference between not having matured/developed/learned and not being able to.

I think this is a guy we will be checking in on, on a monthly, if not weekly, basis to see if his game is improving.
RB is the easiest position to learn. It's the start of season two for him and he can't beat out the worst starting RB in the league.

I posted two videos where all he had to do was block the rusher. One job. He failed both times. Miserably. This is his second year in the league. How much more time does he need to learn to do this one thing?

Draft capital?
Situation?
Slow to mature/develop/learn?

All excuses to lend one to believe there could still be a chance, thus someone hangs onto the player instead of using film and observations to make their decisions. Are you a Bucs fan by any chance? :biggrin:

I've said it before: The ability to recognize talent or lack-there-of is what separates the elite dynasty owners from the good/average ones. The sooner you get rid of waste before it becomes worthless, the better off you'll be.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:15 am

I think the key trait of elite dynasty managers is luck. Next comes the ability to buy guys low and sell them high. Talent evaluation is really third on my list. Lotta sources out there that spot talent for you...

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:53 am

Yeah, I mean I consider myself a strong owner and I have never missed the playoffs since I started dynasty 8 years ago between two leagues - but even with that, more than half of this game is luck.

Like Cult said, the internet is littered with resources.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:02 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:46 am
ArrylT wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:40 am Whether or not he is capable of overcoming his mistakes or not has yet to be seen. However his draft capital & situation suggest he will get further opportunities to show he has taken the next step / can earn a significant role on a team. Not every player matures/develops/learns at the same rate, and there is a difference between not having matured/developed/learned and not being able to.

I think this is a guy we will be checking in on, on a monthly, if not weekly, basis to see if his game is improving.
RB is the easiest position to learn. It's the start of season two for him and he can't beat out the worst starting RB in the league.

I posted two videos where all he had to do was block the rusher. One job. He failed both times. Miserably. This is his second year in the league. How much more time does he need to learn to do this one thing?

Draft capital?
Situation?
Slow to mature/develop/learn?

All excuses to lend one to believe there could still be a chance, thus someone hangs onto the player instead of using film and observations to make their decisions. Are you a Bucs fan by any chance? :biggrin:

I've said it before: The ability to recognize talent or lack-there-of is what separates the elite dynasty owners from the good/average ones. The sooner you get rid of waste before it becomes worthless, the better off you'll be.
Not a Buccaneers fan nor an owner of a single Ronald Jones share. In fact I would be somewhat surprised if any Oakland Raiders fans (like myself) would be fans of the Buccaneers, and would likely cheer for any of the other of the teams in that division to win their division.

However I (or Rojo owners) do not need to believe in Ronald Jones - only the Buccaneers need to. That is where the draft capital comes in. As long as the Buccaneers believe in RoJo, they'll be the ones making the excuses and giving him the chances. They have a vested interest in having him succeed, so obviously they'll overlook, as long as possible, mistakes he makes.

Personally, I feel Peyton Barber gets short shrift. One thing I have been pretty quiet about, is the fact that last year I was telling owners not to throw away Barber or sell him for guys like Cameron Meredith. Barber is by no means an elite talent, but at the same time neither is he the worst starting RB in the NFL today. Honestly I'd take Barber over guys like Aaron Jones, Marlon Mack or Kenyon Drake - based solely on talent - without situation or fantasy value added into the mix. In other words imho Peyton Barber is a better NFL RB than those names mentioned. I have no doubts most would disagree and that is perfectly fine with me. I'd rather own Barber at his cost than any of those RBs at their cost.

Also I think you're getting terminology mixed up perhaps? I am talking about Football IQ, maturity and development, not innate physical talent. Imho there are differences between talent & skills. Talent may make you better at a skill, but talent alone doesnt allow you to learn that skill.

Finally easiest amongst the skill positions in the NFL does not mean easy per say. Nothing in the NFL is easy, it just looks easy at times.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:06 am

Actually I think what dlf_mikeh is trying to say is that his inability to acknowledge Ronald Jones has talent is what is keeping him from joining that elite level of dynasty owners. I appreciate this acknowledgement that he is merely average to good. :biggrin: :lol: :P :P

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:33 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:15 amI think the key trait of elite dynasty managers is luck.
Luck is not a trait btw.

It's like poker. You don't always win the game, but the best players usually finish near the top, and the bad players near the bottom. There is luck involved, but the good players try to set themselves up to utilize the luck more often.

The best dynasty owners are the ones who make playoffs more than the others. Otherwise we wouldn't be having these discussions and fantasy websites wouldn't exist and such.
ArrylT wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:02 amHowever I (or Rojo owners) do not need to believe in Ronald Jones - only the Buccaneers need to. That is where the draft capital comes in. As long as the Buccaneers believe in RoJo, they'll be the ones making the excuses and giving him the chances. They have a vested interest in having him succeed, so obviously they'll overlook, as long as possible, mistakes he makes.
This is a fair statement, and that sort of falls in line with what I'm saying. If he can't be counted on to protect the QB in the preseason, will the coaches count on him in a game? The answer last year was "no", and nothing has changed. Neither you nor I knows what'll be expected of him on a week to week basis, but if the preseason has any indication, oof...

And I wouldn't go so far as to say that the current coaching regime has a vested interest in him. The old one does. This new one inherited the dilemma that we call RoJo.
ArrylT wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:06 am Actually I think what dlf_mikeh is trying to say is that his inability to acknowledge Ronald Jones has talent is what is keeping him from joining that elite level of dynasty owners. I appreciate this acknowledgement that he is merely average to good. :biggrin: :lol: :P :P
lol. You jerk. You are now on my jerk list. There's only one name on there.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:52 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:33 am
ArrylT wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:02 amHowever I (or Rojo owners) do not need to believe in Ronald Jones - only the Buccaneers need to. That is where the draft capital comes in. As long as the Buccaneers believe in RoJo, they'll be the ones making the excuses and giving him the chances. They have a vested interest in having him succeed, so obviously they'll overlook, as long as possible, mistakes he makes.
This is a fair statement, and that sort of falls in line with what I'm saying. If he can't be counted on to protect the QB in the preseason, will the coaches count on him in a game? The answer last year was "no", and nothing has changed. Neither you nor I knows what'll be expected of him on a week to week basis, but if the preseason has any indication, oof...

And I wouldn't go so far as to say that the current coaching regime has a vested interest in him. The old one does. This new one inherited the dilemma that we call RoJo.
Very good point - I forgot about that. I still think that there will be some pressure on the coaching staff but yeah it was the GM (who just got an extension) who's the invested one.
dlf_mikeh wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:33 am
ArrylT wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:06 am Actually I think what dlf_mikeh is trying to say is that his inability to acknowledge Ronald Jones has talent is what is keeping him from joining that elite level of dynasty owners. I appreciate this acknowledgement that he is merely average to good. :biggrin: :lol: :P :P
lol. You jerk. You are now on my jerk list. There's only one name on there.
Sorry not sorry? :think:

More seriously anyone who can run a 96 team league has the traits to also be an elite dynasty league owner (imho) even if I was not totally kidding which obviously I was and hope was clear. :)

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:32 am

So Ronald Jones apparently injured his knee in preseason Week 2. I'm looking forward to flipping Peyton Barber mid-season for a '20 1st I hope.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:36 am

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:29 am

Love how the sideline has a sign reading "RAISE FLAGS"
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:09 am

ninotoreS wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:32 am So Ronald Jones apparently injured his knee in preseason Week 2. I'm looking forward to flipping Peyton Barber mid-season for a '20 1st I hope.
That sucks. Never want to hear that.
This is the same stuff I'm finding & talking about. What a horrible run. It wasn't even that hard to tell how bad he was coming out of college. The Bucs front office needs to be replaced. Or whoever scouted him, anyway.

Oh, and because I rip on the guy so much, I just had to make an article about him: https://dynastyleaguefootball.com/2019/ ... ent-474774
ULTIMATE RB GURUs

REAL RB GURUs:

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:25 am

Wow, that's a bad run. I'm pulling for Jones because I want Tampa's offense to succeed in general, but it's been really hard to make a case for him since day one. What a mystifying draft pick.

12-team SF, PPR, TE premium, 0.25 PPCarry
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Mahomes, Fields, Love
RB: Bijan, ETN, Pollard, Achane, Herbert
WR: Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Ridley, Jeudy, D.J. M, Burks, Hollywood, Wan'Dale
TE: Kyle Pitts, Goedert