Jon Gruden's secret surprise

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
tresskid84
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Jon Gruden's secret surprise

Postby tresskid84 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:58 pm

FantasyDumDum wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:55 pm
Pullo Vision wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:45 pm
jordanzs wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:39 pm Who has the athletic profile combined with inability to play football that Darius Heyward-Bey did? Seek out that player and you shall find your answer....
In other words, who is this year's Kolton Miller. Maybe Daniel Jones...
This one rings the bell as the best combination of biggest surprise and most possible.
Yeah, that seems possible as well, esp with the Giants talk being attached to Jones. Could at least explain why they would want to keep it under wraps to maybe prevent a trade up?
2021-Orphan Rebuild, 12tm PPR, SF, 1.75 TE Prem
2 SF, 8 Flex

QB: Mayfield, Z Wilson, D Jones, Heinicke, Rudolph, Foles
RB: Herbert, Felton, Evans, Nwangwu, Calais
WR: D Smith, Waddle, Chark, J Palmer, D P-J, Raymond, Washington, Jauan, Darden, Fehoko, Smith-Marsette, C Johnson, Proche, Shi Smith, A Tate, ESB, JJAW
TE: O'Shaughnessy, Moreau, Granson, Tyree J, Hu Bryant, Hopkins, Fortson
2022 Picks: 1.01, 1.04, 1.11, 2.01, 2.09, and 3.02
2023 Picks: six 1sts, my 2nd

2021-Orphan Rebuild, 16tm PPR, SF, 1.5pr TE, DEVY:
1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 SF, 3 Flex
Draft is rookies and devy (only 2022 NFL eligible)

QB: Tua, Fields, Brissett, Foles, Purdy(D), T Morgan(D)
RB: Etienne, Gainwell, Homer, T Jones, J Hill, Ragas, Sargent, Calais, Funk,
WR: Cephus, Nico, J Palmer, Gage, Quez, P Williams, JJAW, Strachan, Proche, Lil'Jordan, Shi Smith, Fryfogle(D)
TE: Moreau, Maxx, H Long, RSJ, Tyree J
2022 Picks: 1.02, 2.02, 2.12, 3.02, 3.07, 3.10, 3.11, 3.12, 3.15, 4.01, 4.02, 4.05, 4.07, 4.12, 4.15

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:25 pm

Think it's a smoke screen to build pick value and the surprise is they move back.

If they move up it's Murray. If they sit tight I could see Oliver or Williams. Personally, I think Oliver will be the better pro. He has great first step quickness and his tape is filled with destroying double teams. Think he may have the best motor in the draft and DT's can play for a decade.

People think that may be a reach but not sure he will get past pick 3.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:37 pm

I would love to see a move back if a good haul is in the cards.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:49 pm

It's a dick in a box, isn't it.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:01 pm

FantasyDumDum wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:34 pmBut the biggest surprise would be an RB there. It would be by far the biggest reach, in a down year, at a priority position but also one that can be easily handled with one of their 3 picks in the late 1st/early 2nd. Josh Jacobs or Miles Sanders at 4 would surprise anyone. Do it Jon boy
There is enough stuff floating around out there that this could realistically be it. Daniel Jeremiah and Matt Miller (both very well respected) both have Josh Jacobs as a top 10 player in the draft. There are at least two scouts that have hinted at Jacobs having that kind of value as well as one said that many NFL teams view Jacobs as a better prospect than Fournette (who was picked #4 overall) and another being shocked when he heard that Jacobs was regarded as way down in the late 1st by most mock drafts.

Personally though I think it's Hollywood Brown. I think he's going to go much higher than people are anticipating and he definitely fits the Raiders' MO. We've seen this story a ton of times with these speed guys. DHB, Troy Williamson, Will Fuller, and John Ross all went way earlier in real drafts than they were pegged in mock drafts.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:11 pm

Maybe they’ll trade pick 4 for a coach. What did the Raiders get for Gruden back in the day?

tresskid84
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby tresskid84 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:15 pm

Valhalla wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:11 pm Maybe they’ll trade pick 4 for a coach. What did the Raiders get for Gruden back in the day?
Trading it for Arians?
2021-Orphan Rebuild, 12tm PPR, SF, 1.75 TE Prem
2 SF, 8 Flex

QB: Mayfield, Z Wilson, D Jones, Heinicke, Rudolph, Foles
RB: Herbert, Felton, Evans, Nwangwu, Calais
WR: D Smith, Waddle, Chark, J Palmer, D P-J, Raymond, Washington, Jauan, Darden, Fehoko, Smith-Marsette, C Johnson, Proche, Shi Smith, A Tate, ESB, JJAW
TE: O'Shaughnessy, Moreau, Granson, Tyree J, Hu Bryant, Hopkins, Fortson
2022 Picks: 1.01, 1.04, 1.11, 2.01, 2.09, and 3.02
2023 Picks: six 1sts, my 2nd

2021-Orphan Rebuild, 16tm PPR, SF, 1.5pr TE, DEVY:
1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 SF, 3 Flex
Draft is rookies and devy (only 2022 NFL eligible)

QB: Tua, Fields, Brissett, Foles, Purdy(D), T Morgan(D)
RB: Etienne, Gainwell, Homer, T Jones, J Hill, Ragas, Sargent, Calais, Funk,
WR: Cephus, Nico, J Palmer, Gage, Quez, P Williams, JJAW, Strachan, Proche, Lil'Jordan, Shi Smith, Fryfogle(D)
TE: Moreau, Maxx, H Long, RSJ, Tyree J
2022 Picks: 1.02, 2.02, 2.12, 3.02, 3.07, 3.10, 3.11, 3.12, 3.15, 4.01, 4.02, 4.05, 4.07, 4.12, 4.15

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:29 pm

But honestly...reading this whole article about the “secret surprise” just sounds like something out of Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:45 pm

Vcize wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:01 pm
FantasyDumDum wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:34 pmBut the biggest surprise would be an RB there. It would be by far the biggest reach, in a down year, at a priority position but also one that can be easily handled with one of their 3 picks in the late 1st/early 2nd. Josh Jacobs or Miles Sanders at 4 would surprise anyone. Do it Jon boy
There is enough stuff floating around out there that this could realistically be it. Daniel Jeremiah and Matt Miller (both very well respected) both have Josh Jacobs as a top 10 player in the draft. There are at least two scouts that have hinted at Jacobs having that kind of value as well as one said that many NFL teams view Jacobs as a better prospect than Fournette (who was picked #4 overall) and another being shocked when he heard that Jacobs was regarded as way down in the late 1st by most mock drafts.

Personally though I think it's Hollywood Brown. I think he's going to go much higher than people are anticipating and he definitely fits the Raiders' MO. We've seen this story a ton of times with these speed guys. DHB, Troy Williamson, Will Fuller, and John Ross all went way earlier in real drafts than they were pegged in mock drafts.
Parris Campbell another possibility, for the same reasons as Brown.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:49 pm

Phaded wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:54 pm However - I think Mayock is there to help reel in Gruden's wild side. I hope.
This is adorable :lol:

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:51 pm

my money would be on a QB .. or at least that would be the least surprising for me ..
@PlankMelody

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:59 pm

Lets use inference. Would Gruden and Mayock worry this much about leaks if they're reaching for someone at #4?

Although I do wonder if i'm giving Gruden too much credit, logically their behavior suggests they're still targetting someone most people agree makes sense for a top ten pick, but it's for a different player (and position?) than everyone is expecting.

It looks to me like Gruden and Mayock are worried that if certain teams picking right after them find out who they're targetting, those teams will trade with the Jets to get their #3 pick and swipe the guy out from under Oakland's nose.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Farley
Captain
Captain

Postby Farley » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:57 pm

Plank wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:51 pm my money would be on a QB .. or at least that would be the least surprising for me ..
I agree. This has QB written all over it.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:11 pm

It's Rappaport stirring up Buzz. The reason the Raiders sent the scouts home is they aren't sure who are loyal to them, or who they will keep. They are part of the Reggie Mac era, and to be certain nothing is leaked, they are taking the necessary precautions. Rappaport is really starting to tick me off, ever since the bogus AB trade to the Bills, which La Confora immediately shot down, because he is more reliable. The Raiders may surprise people, they have Gruden and a first time GM, so Rappaport may come out looking like he knows what he's talking about in this situation, but he has no clue what is going to happen, he's playing a numbers game with a prediction. If the Raiders take someone strange, he looks great. If they don't, he just says " I said they MAY be planning a surprise pick". This is Rappaport talking out of his azz.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:04 am

The QB not named Murray that seems to be rocketing up in value is Daniel Jones. I just spent some time evaluating him and he has the makings of a very good NFL QB. He is kind of a mixture of Josh Allen and Carson Wentz. His arm strength doesn't show like those two but his movement in the pocket and out of the pocket does. His touch looks better than either of those. He is very athletic for a QB his size.

That would be a player that would surprise me at 4.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts