Where does Kyler Murray end up?

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!

Where does he go?

Cardinals
68%
Raiders
18%
Giants
5%
Dolphins
2%
Broncos
No votes
Redskins
2%
OTHER (specify)
6%

Total votes: 62

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Where does Kyler Murray end up?

Postby ArrylT » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:19 am

Vcize wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:17 am
ArrylT wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:23 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:40 pm
Right, but it seems really early to declare Rosento be a sunk cost after one half-season in an abysmal situation.
Especially when they moved up to get him. It is not like they moved down and he fell into their lap. They spent extra capital to get to 10 to get Rosen. But the past is the past I guess ...
Sunk cost fallacy.

Don't let past mistakes ruin your future choices. If they think Murray is the best thing for their franchise then what they did last year shouldn't matter.

Look at the Texans. Gave a huge contract to Osweiler than 1 year later absolutely took it over the knee to move on from him and get Watson. Seems to be working out much better than giving Brock another year to get comfortable in the system or whatever nonsense people were using to bash the Texans giving up so much for Watson at the time.
Yes the Texans paid the Browns a 2nd to eat that salary. History seems to suggest it was a smart move for both teams.

However Rosens contract is different (or so it looks). I guess due to the nature of rookie contracts guarantees and such ... ??

https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/3/4/1825 ... josh-rosen

Basically from what I can surmise, the Cardinals no matter what are going to be on the hook, going forward, for a minimum of 8m in cap space, if not more for Rosen, regardless of whether they keep or trade him. And on top of that there is the 8m Dead Money they owe to Sam Bradford and Mike Glennon. They are spending 16m at the QB position no matter what they do (and about 2m on Brett Hundley).

That is going to be on top of the salary that you have to dedicate to the 1.01 Which I believe will be $33million or so (over 4 years). I am not saying they will not draft Kyler Murray - just that the financial cost to do so will be on top of the draft capital cost & the public relations capital. If they feel he is worth the cost - more power to them - this just looks like it is a bad idea for the Cardinals to do so if they cannot recoup real value from Rosen.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/arizona-cardinals/
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:35 am

Phaded wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:20 am The whole Kyler Murray rise has me weary of him and I want the Raiders to avoid him - they need D anyhow.

Going from committing to Baseball, to committing to Football, to being projected in the teens to now number one overall.

I feel like Gruden loves Murray and wants him; but Mayock sees the value side and will not let it happen.
Murray's rise is more restricted to the fantasy world. He was a phenom back in High School. He also happens to be a great baseball player as well.

The Cards coach was trying to get him back in High School when he dominated the Texas High School football landscape going undefeated in the big school class. He was a major stud back then and a 5 star recruit. He did transfer and had to set out a year. Obviously, it's well know he was a first round draft pick in baseball but picked up right where he left off in football.

We have all seen Russell Wilson's rise to now the highest paid QB in the land. Murray actually has a better pedigree. He is the same size with much better wheels and a bigger arm. He was drafted in the MLB to play center field to give one an idea of his speed and quickness.

He has been a stud at every level. Don't think the NFL will be any different. The game comes extremely easy to him. His stats his last year in college were so close to Baker's you could throw a blanket over them. The big separator from Baker was Murray ran for 1000 yards last year to go along with over 4300 yards in the air. Mayfield had around 4600 yards passing and 300 or so rushing yards.

Murray's only knock is he is about 0.5 inches shorter than Wilson but weighs a few pounds more.

Murray should dominate just like he has everywhere else he has played. He is really really good.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:24 am

Ice wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:35 am
Phaded wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:20 am The whole Kyler Murray rise has me weary of him and I want the Raiders to avoid him - they need D anyhow.

Going from committing to Baseball, to committing to Football, to being projected in the teens to now number one overall.

I feel like Gruden loves Murray and wants him; but Mayock sees the value side and will not let it happen.
Murray's rise is more restricted to the fantasy world. He was a phenom back in High School. He also happens to be a great baseball player as well.

The Cards coach was trying to get him back in High School when he dominated the Texas High School football landscape going undefeated in the big school class. He was a major stud back then and a 5 star recruit. He did transfer and had to set out a year. Obviously, it's well know he was a first round draft pick in baseball but picked up right where he left off in football.

We have all seen Russell Wilson's rise to now the highest paid QB in the land. Murray actually has a better pedigree. He is the same size with much better wheels and a bigger arm. He was drafted in the MLB to play center field to give one an idea of his speed and quickness.

He has been a stud at every level. Don't think the NFL will be any different. The game comes extremely easy to him. His stats his last year in college were so close to Baker's you could throw a blanket over them. The big separator from Baker was Murray ran for 1000 yards last year to go along with over 4300 yards in the air. Mayfield had around 4600 yards passing and 300 or so rushing yards.

Murray's only knock is he is about 0.5 inches shorter than Wilson but weighs a few pounds more.

Murray should dominate just like he has everywhere else he has played. He is really really good.
I personally don't see him ever dominating the NFL. I gladly sold my 1.01 and a few other pieces for Wentz in a SF. I don't believe the hype. Not saying he can't be a decent QB, or even a good one, but I do not see a guy who will dominate the National Football League. Not buying. We shall see. Also, Russ weighs a good 10 pounds more than Murray, not the other way round. I find the situation in Arizona extremely sketchy. Bad front office, Bad OL, unproven rookie coach, minimal WR talent.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:34 am

Kyler will be great for fantasy because unlike Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen, Kyler can actually throw and pass accurately. He will have such a high floor based on his rushing alone so even if you don’t like him as a QB he will have elite fantasy upside and combined with his rushing I bet his floor will be just outside the top 12, with a ceiling of top 5 easily. So to me he seems like a no brainer in superflex leagues. He may bust and suck as a QB but even Bortles had some high end fantasy seasons so you’ll have several years to get out from Kyler regardless. Super safe pick IMO.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:52 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:24 am

I personally don't see him ever dominating the NFL. I gladly sold my 1.01 and a few other pieces for Wentz in a SF. I don't believe the hype. Not saying he can't be a decent QB, or even a good one, but I do not see a guy who will dominate the National Football League. Not buying. We shall see. Also, Russ weighs a good 10 pounds more than Murray, not the other way round.
Can't blame you for getting Wentz.

Wilson may weigh more now but he was lighter when actually drafted or at the combine at any rate. Not enough to be concerned with but these players are basically carbon copies of each other including a baseball background.

Just pointing out that Murray was all the rage in Texas as a high school player. Allen is a suburb of Dallas and was all over the news back in those days as he was ripping off 3 consecutive state titles and never lost a game. Coaches were after him since he was in the 9th /10th grade including Kliff Kingsbury. Much like Trevor Lawrence (Clemson) has been scouted since he was a freshman in high school. Lawrence will be a lock 1.1 NFL pick someday. Planting that flag 2-3 years early.

I would be pretty shocked if the Cards pass on him.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:12 pm

Ice wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:52 am

I personally don't see him ever dominating the NFL. I gladly sold my 1.01 and a few other pieces for Wentz in a SF. I don't believe the hype. Not saying he can't be a decent QB, or even a good one, but I do not see a guy who will dominate the National Football League. Not buying. We shall see. Also, Russ weighs a good 10 pounds more than Murray, not the other way round.

Wilson may weigh more now but he was lighter when actually drafted or at the combine at any rate. Not enough to be concerned with but these players are basically carbon copies of each other including a baseball background.

Just pointing out that Murray was all the rage in Texas as a high school player. Allen is a suburb of Dallas and was all over the news back in those days as he was ripping off 3 consecutive state titles and never lost a game. Coaches were after him since he was in the 9th /10th grade including Kliff Kingsbury. Much like Trevor Lawrence (Clemson) has been scouted since he was a freshman in high school. Lawrence will be a lock 1.1 NFL pick someday. Planting that flag 2-3 years early.

Fair. I'd say a major difference between the two is college starts, though. RW was a starter for 4 years, I believe, Murray 1. As for Lawrence, Gil Brandt is already suggesting teams stockpile 2021 firsts to get him, so your not the only one.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:21 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:12 pm
Ice wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:52 am

Fair. I'd say a major difference between the two is college starts, though. RW was a starter for 4 years, I believe, Murray 1. As for Lawrence, Gil Brandt is already suggesting teams stockpile 2021 firsts to get him, so your not the only one.
Whats funny about Wilson though was he never got out of the 50's in completion percentage 3 years at NC State. But he sure did shine as a Senior at Wisconsin even though he didn't throw for a ton of yards.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:58 pm

I think one of the things they have mentioned is a key to small QB success is big hands as it provides better ball control. Wilson has significantly bigger hands than Murray.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:02 pm

ArrylT wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:19 am
Yes the Texans paid the Browns a 2nd to eat that salary. History seems to suggest it was a smart move for both teams.

However Rosens contract is different (or so it looks). I guess due to the nature of rookie contracts guarantees and such ... ??

Basically from what I can surmise, the Cardinals no matter what are going to be on the hook, going forward, for a minimum of 8m in cap space, if not more for Rosen, regardless of whether they keep or trade him. And on top of that there is the 8m Dead Money they owe to Sam Bradford and Mike Glennon. They are spending 16m at the QB position no matter what they do (and about 2m on Brett Hundley).

That is going to be on top of the salary that you have to dedicate to the 1.01 Which I believe will be $33million or so (over 4 years). I am not saying they will not draft Kyler Murray - just that the financial cost to do so will be on top of the draft capital cost & the public relations capital. If they feel he is worth the cost - more power to them - this just looks like it is a bad idea for the Cardinals to do so if they cannot recoup real value from Rosen.

This is some pretty interesting info. It makes me believe even more that they won’t be drafting Murray.

I get the coach wants Murray, but he took the job with Rosen as the starter and they must have already had this conversation. I don’t think you change coaches and then use the 1.01 on a position you traded up get last year at the 1.10. 1.10 should commit them to Rosen and they should have hired a coach committed to winning with him.

If they actually pick Murray they are a very poorly managed team, it I guess that’s typically how you end up with 1.01.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:34 pm

thebeast wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:02 pm

This is some pretty interesting info. It makes me believe even more that they won’t be drafting Murray.

I get the coach wants Murray, but he took the job with Rosen as the starter and they must have already had this conversation. I don’t think you change coaches and then use the 1.01 on a position you traded up get last year at the 1.10. 1.10 should commit them to Rosen and they should have hired a coach committed to winning with him.

If they actually pick Murray they are a very poorly managed team, it I guess that’s typically how you end up with 1.01.
It's a hefty price, though again not unprecedented. $16mil happens to be exactly the cap hit the Texans took for trading Osweiler away (on top of the 2nd round pick they gave up) to take Watson. Granted Murray's contract will have to be much larger than Watson's is, but the dead money is the same and the cap is larger now.

As to your last statement about drafting Murray being an indication that they're a poorly managed team, I actually think teams that hold on to their mistakes and are unwilling to move on from them or make any big risky moves are poorly managed. I'm sure people at the time were saying that the Texans were poorly managed for moving on from a guy they had just given so much money to, but no one cares anymore.

Look at the Ravens. How many years have they languished away with Joe Flacco under center after he signed his new deal and played like total garbage? In 2017 their draft capital was no different than the Texans or Chiefs (and the Chiefs even had a QB that was playing much better than Flacco at the time) yet they sat around on their hands while the Texans/Chiefs made moves for Watson and Mahomes to much criticism. Imagine how much better off that franchise would be if they had Watson or Mahomes under center right now.

Bottom line, if these guys want to put their jobs on the line for Murray than more power to them.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

tresskid84
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby tresskid84 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:43 pm

Vcize wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:17 am
ArrylT wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:23 pm

Especially when they moved up to get him. It is not like they moved down and he fell into their lap. They spent extra capital to get to 10 to get Rosen. But the past is the past I guess ...
Sunk cost fallacy.

Don't let past mistakes ruin your future choices. If they think Murray is the best thing for their franchise then what they did last year shouldn't matter.

Look at the Texans. Gave a huge contract to Osweiler than 1 year later absolutely took it over the knee to move on from him and get Watson. Seems to be working out much better than giving Brock another year to get comfortable in the system or whatever nonsense people were using to bash the Texans giving up so much for Watson at the time.

Rosen only counts just under 4 mil against the cap if the cardinals keep him, does count 8 mil against the cap if they trade him. The team that acquired him would be getting a very cap-friendly contract, counting only 1.3 mil against their cap this year, 2.1 next year, and 2.9 the following year. Kyler's contract would likely only count a little over 6 mil against the cap this year.
2021-Orphan Rebuild, 12tm PPR, SF, 1.75 TE Prem
2 SF, 8 Flex

QB: Mayfield, Z Wilson, D Jones, Heinicke, Rudolph, Foles
RB: Herbert, Felton, Evans, Nwangwu, Calais
WR: D Smith, Waddle, Chark, J Palmer, D P-J, Raymond, Washington, Jauan, Darden, Fehoko, Smith-Marsette, C Johnson, Proche, Shi Smith, A Tate, ESB, JJAW
TE: O'Shaughnessy, Moreau, Granson, Tyree J, Hu Bryant, Hopkins, Fortson
2022 Picks: 1.01, 1.04, 1.11, 2.01, 2.09, and 3.02
2023 Picks: six 1sts, my 2nd

2021-Orphan Rebuild, 16tm PPR, SF, 1.5pr TE, DEVY:
1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 SF, 3 Flex
Draft is rookies and devy (only 2022 NFL eligible)

QB: Tua, Fields, Brissett, Foles, Purdy(D), T Morgan(D)
RB: Etienne, Gainwell, Homer, T Jones, J Hill, Ragas, Sargent, Calais, Funk,
WR: Cephus, Nico, J Palmer, Gage, Quez, P Williams, JJAW, Strachan, Proche, Lil'Jordan, Shi Smith, Fryfogle(D)
TE: Moreau, Maxx, H Long, RSJ, Tyree J
2022 Picks: 1.02, 2.02, 2.12, 3.02, 3.07, 3.10, 3.11, 3.12, 3.15, 4.01, 4.02, 4.05, 4.07, 4.12, 4.15

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:48 pm

Vcize wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:34 pm
thebeast wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:02 pm

It's a hefty price, though again not unprecedented. $16mil happens to be exactly the cap hit the Texans took for trading Osweiler away (on top of the 2nd round pick they gave up) to take Watson. Granted Murray's contract will have to be much larger than Watson's is, but the dead money is the same and the cap is larger now.

As to your last statement about drafting Murray being an indication that they're a poorly managed team, I actually think teams that hold on to their mistakes and are unwilling to move on from them or make any big risky moves are poorly managed. I'm sure people at the time were saying that the Texans were poorly managed for moving on from a guy they had just given so much money to, but no one cares anymore.

Look at the Ravens. How many years have they languished away with Joe Flacco under center after he signed his new deal and played like total garbage? In 2017 their draft capital was no different than the Texans or Chiefs (and the Chiefs even had a QB that was playing much better than Flacco at the time) yet they sat around on their hands while the Texans/Chiefs made moves for Watson and Mahomes to much criticism. Imagine how much better off that franchise would be if they had Watson or Mahomes under center right now.

Bottom line, if these guys want to put their jobs on the line for Murray than more power to them.
So the Jets and Buffalosjould be drsfting new WBs in the first round? If you don’t realize there is a vast difference between rookie Rosen and 3rd or 4th year Osweiler then I don’t know what to tell you. If you expect immediate results from any WB then you are going to be disappointed more often than not. I agree, teams need to cut bait and admit mistakes, but they also need to be patient and follow the plan they laid out. Rosen didn’t even start the whole season, had two offensive cooordinators, and other challenges to deal with. The Cards have not had enough time to decide he is a mistake and the GM should have hired a coach who was committed to winning with him (maybe they did).

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:43 pm

Vcize wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:34 pm

I agree with you that if they wish to do that for Murray - it is a bold move and sometimes bold moves are necessary.

I think it is hard to know for sure what is going on in Arizona, and that is at the core with my issue. If they have a plan in place on how to draft Murray, how to build around him, and how to use or move on from Rosen, great. At the moment, just like with many of us poking fun at Gettleman, that plan does not seem very apparent. They had a plan last year to start with Bradford and let Rosen sit & learn and at some point take over. Then that plan fell by the wayside. Now Murray is now the apparent 1.01.

To me if it was just one thing, replacing Rosen with Murray, I would have no problem. Sometime bold moves are necessary. The Colts got a lot of flack (if I recall correctly) for the way they handled the Manning departure, but obviously they felt they needed to move on, with the chance to draft Luck, and there was no way Luck & Manning could co-exist in that environment. I just do not see (yet at least) how they plan to get out of the hole they created for themselves, draft capital, financially & public relations wise going down the road of drafting Murray while keeping Rosen. Rosen may not be in Mannings stratosphere but I would be quite surprised if both QBs can co-exist peacefully in the same organization.

So yeah if they have a plan that involves drafting Murray, moving on from Rosen (fair or not) and finding ways to extract themselves from their cap situation I'll be a lot more open to them having success. But right now, if it goes as it seems, and they draft Murray and do not move on from Rosen - I am in agreement with thebeast about it being a poorly run organization. We shall see.

I am hoping like the Texans did in 2006, that they skip over the Reggie Bush (Murray) and go with the Mario Williams (Bosa perhaps) or trade out of the 1.01. Or show that they are actually going to move Rosen, regardless of what they get. Right now it looks like the perfect storm for another dumpster fire year though.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:42 pm

ArrylT wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:43 pm
I think it is hard to know for sure what is going on in Arizona, and that is at the core with my issue. If they have a plan in place on how to draft Murray, how to build around him, and how to use or move on from Rosen, great. At the moment, just like with many of us poking fun at Gettleman, that plan does not seem very apparent. They had a plan last year to start with Bradford and let Rosen sit & learn and at some point take over. Then that plan fell by the wayside. Now Murray is now the apparent 1.01.

To me if it was just one thing, replacing Rosen with Murray, I would have no problem. Sometime bold moves are necessary. The Colts got a lot of flack (if I recall correctly) for the way they handled the Manning departure, but obviously they felt they needed to move on, with the chance to draft Luck, and there was no way Luck & Manning could co-exist in that environment. I just do not see (yet at least) how they plan to get out of the hole they created for themselves, draft capital, financially & public relations wise going down the road of drafting Murray while keeping Rosen. Rosen may not be in Mannings stratosphere but I would be quite surprised if both QBs can co-exist peacefully in the same organization.

So yeah if they have a plan that involves drafting Murray, moving on from Rosen (fair or not) and finding ways to extract themselves from their cap situation I'll be a lot more open to them having success. But right now, if it goes as it seems, and they draft Murray and do not move on from Rosen - I am in agreement with thebeast about it being a poorly run organization. We shall see.

I am hoping like the Texans did in 2006, that they skip over the Reggie Bush (Murray) and go with the Mario Williams (Bosa perhaps) or trade out of the 1.01. Or show that they are actually going to move Rosen, regardless of what they get. Right now it looks like the perfect storm for another dumpster fire year though.
I recall the Colts getting a lot of heat for letting Manning go after all he had done to resurrect that franchise and him being an all time great at the position. However, I think most understood drafting Luck was the smart thing to do. I remember reading or listening to an interview with someone within that organization and they asked Manning who they should draft at 1 and he even said "Luck". Luck was probably the most hyped QB coming out since Manning. He was seen as a once a decade or more type prospect and was thought to be as pro ready as possible coming out of Stanford. I'm not sure people see Murray that way. At least not in the way Luck was viewed.

If the Cards take Murray, it only looks good if Murray is for real and performs. At that point, nobody will care if they just flat out cut Rosen. If you take Murray and he isn't a franchise guy, then everyone is fired. I think it's easier to build a team and system around a competent QB and win than trying to find one of the greats at the position. If after one season they don't think Rosen is very good, then get rid of him and take Murray. But if you aren't sure about Murray either, then why not take Bosa or Williams, or trade out of 1 and try and build around Rosen?

I'm not sure anybody at QB is set up to succeed in Arizona anyway. Everyone laughed a few years ago at the Browns for trading back and passing over Wentz. That decision doesn't look bad anymore because they continued to build a team that would allow a QB to come in and thrive.

PurpleHaze
Role Player
Role Player

Postby PurpleHaze » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:32 am

Vegas odds say Kyler Murray still goes #1 overall:

Vegas odds also say that Kyler Murray will probably wear a black suit to the draft...