Russell Wilson - Seahawk? Or maybe not..

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Russell Wilson - Seahawk? Or maybe not..

Postby Phaded » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:36 pm

That report actually came out before Mathieu; as the Mathieu tweet was a response to that.

bigblue
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby bigblue » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:12 pm

He isn’t going anywhere, but if any team had the amp on the draft to do it, it’s the giants.

Would their 2 first round picks do it? Probably not, but if so this is a no brainer, even though they need to give him a huge contract.

What gets interesting is if this year’s 2 firsts and 2nd or 2 firsts and next year’s first gets it done. It would have to be something huge like this to get the Seahawks to consider.

I think he makes any team an instant playoff team (the Seahawks team without him is not an every season playoff team). I would do if either of those 2 offers gets it done.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:15 pm

ArrylT wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:28 pm
slaughterrt wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:18 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:32 pm As long as we’re just wildly speculating:

Giants get Russell Wilson

Seahawks get Josh Rosen, 1.06, 1.17, 4.01

Cardinals get 1.21, 5.21
Where does Gettleman get traded to?
The Cowboys hopefully. They are making smart decisions (like acquiring Amari Cooper) and that needs to stop! :lol:
You need to hush your mouth! Ive suffered through JJ since I was a kid. Now that he finally isnt calling the shots I can enjoy and not second guess every single move they make. How bout them Cowboys!?!

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:31 pm

If the price is as big as mentioned above, I doubt the Giants pay it as they would be better off coughing up the price to to grab Murray.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:32 pm

Hawks are kidding themselves, wanting Wilson to offer them a discount. Wilson is on a Canton bound track, considering he's a 6x Pro Bowler and Super Bowl champion at just age 30. If Hawks won't pay him, someone else will.

Brady has given the Pats a discount for years, but no other elite QB in the modern era has done that.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:46 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:32 pm Hawks are kidding themselves, wanting Wilson to offer them a discount. Wilson is on a Canton bound track, considering he's a 6x Pro Bowler and Super Bowl champion at just age 30. If Hawks won't pay him, someone else will.

Brady has given the Pats a discount for years, but no other elite QB in the modern era has done that.
They can treat any other position like this, but not QB and not Wilson.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:04 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:32 pm Hawks are kidding themselves, wanting Wilson to offer them a discount. Wilson is on a Canton bound track, considering he's a 6x Pro Bowler and Super Bowl champion at just age 30. If Hawks won't pay him, someone else will.

Seahawks management wants to be the Pats and think giving Wilson a chance after drafting him in the 3rd is the same as Brady getting a shot after getting drafted in the 6th. I think the Seahawks truly view it as giving Wilson a shot no one else would and fell he owes them.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:11 pm

Phaded wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:31 pm If the price is as big as mentioned above, I doubt the Giants pay it as they would be better off coughing up the price to to grab Murray.
Sure, but by crafting this sentence you’re already way beyond what an idiot like Gettleman could come up with on his best day.

The craziest part is that the reason I think the Giants wouldn’t do this is to protect Eli’s feelings.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

bigblue
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby bigblue » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:15 pm

Phaded wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:31 pm If the price is as big as mentioned above, I doubt the Giants pay it as they would be better off coughing up the price to to grab Murray.
It depends how the giants feel about Murray. The sentence above assumes that Murray is the next elite qb, which is far from a guarantee.

FantasyDumDum
Role Player
Role Player

Postby FantasyDumDum » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:04 pm

If I'm the Giants I try to get Rosen for a 2nd, have him for 3-4 more years of rookie contract, and build around him. It would be risky but offers the highest upside of all scenarios by a long shot. If he matures into a solid top 12 QB in the next 1-2 years they would be saving a TON of draft capital and cap space to use to make a serious run in 2020-2022. The problem with Russ is he would cost a bundle of picks and a lot of cap space, leaving this already barren roster just hopeless. And Murray would be cheap for 4 years but would cost them 3 of their 1st/2nd round picks to acquire him. That's why I would gamble on Rosen for (relatively)cheap
10 team, .5ppr, 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1Flex

QB: Brees, Cousins
RB: CMC, D Williams, Drake, Guice, Penny, RoJo, Breida, I Smith, Edmonds
WR: AB, ARob, Ridley, Jeffery, Shepard, Pettis, Miller, Washington, MVS, Callaway
TE: Kelce, Herndon, Andrews

Taxi Squad:

Picks:
2019 1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10
2020 1, 2, 3, 4

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:13 pm

ericanadian wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:04 pm Seahawks management wants to be the Pats and think giving Wilson a chance after drafting him in the 3rd is the same as Brady getting a shot after getting drafted in the 6th. I think the Seahawks truly view it as giving Wilson a shot no one else would and fell he owes them.
At this point, I think the Hawks owe Wilson more than he owes them. Absolutely they deserve credit for giving him a chance. And I think six Pro Bowl seasons, two NFC championships, and one ring demonstrates he's payed them back for that already.

Then there's the salary cap increase that happened this offseason to consider. Teams right now have more room than ever to pay their superstars, and the Hawks currently have 100 million in cap space for 2020. They're not even top heavy here in '19 -- for example, the Hawks 4th highest paid player is Baldwin, who's probably a cut or restructure candidate next offseason, and their 5th highest paid player (Chancellor) retired last year. Seattle can afford to pay Wilson, and he and his agent know it.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:59 am

ninotoreS wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:13 pm
ericanadian wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:04 pm Seahawks management wants to be the Pats and think giving Wilson a chance after drafting him in the 3rd is the same as Brady getting a shot after getting drafted in the 6th. I think the Seahawks truly view it as giving Wilson a shot no one else would and fell he owes them.
At this point, I think the Hawks owe Wilson more than he owes them. Absolutely they deserve credit for giving him a chance. And I think six Pro Bowl seasons, two NFC championships, and one ring demonstrates he's payed them back for that already.

Then there's the salary cap increase that happened this offseason to consider. Teams right now have more room than ever to pay their superstars, and the Hawks currently have 100 million in cap space for 2020. They're not even top heavy here in '19 -- for example, the Hawks 4th highest paid player is Baldwin, who's probably a cut or restructure candidate next offseason, and their 5th highest paid player (Chancellor) retired last year. Seattle can afford to pay Wilson, and he and his agent know it.
I wouldn't be shocked at all if he is traded. He is in the last year of his contract that was already restructured twice. His cap hit is 25 plus million so not a huge reason to give him a new contract today. The team has a F tag available next season and Wilson is due 17 million under contract this year. Again, no real rush for the team especially given they look to be in a soft rebuild.

Wilson is a very good system QB but the price for elite QB's is getting pretty crazy and could handcuff teams. Trading him helps reset salary cap for them and will provide assets to build on.

Wilson threw about 250 fewer times than the top passing team. Wilson was in the bottom 3rd of passing attempts. Great for his system but more replaceable in the era of a short passing game.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Oddball456
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Oddball456 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:24 am

So, as this relates to fantasy. If Wilson ends up on the Giants does that help or hurt his fantasy output? Any other teams seem likely to land him at this point besides the Giants or staying in SEA? Since the Hawks like to run so much, and their WR core isn't anything special, I would think almost anywhere else he ends up would be neutral at worst, and likely better.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:32 am

Oddball456 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:24 am So, as this relates to fantasy. If Wilson ends up on the Giants does that help or hurt his fantasy output? Any other teams seem likely to land him at this point besides the Giants or staying in SEA? Since the Hawks like to run so much, and their WR core isn't anything special, I would think almost anywhere else he ends up would be neutral at worst, and likely better.
I agree.
Wilson has a unique and consistent game. Don't see a regression anywhere and "likely better" would be a solid bet.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:44 am

He's going down the Kirk Cousins path. He'll play on the franchise tag for 2 years then test the market. I don't think Seattle has the balls to trade him, which will end up hurting them in the long run.