My 12 team superflex startup so far...

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

My 12 team superflex startup so far...

Postby slaughterrt » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:13 am

12 team startup / superflex / .5 ppr
QB - RB - RB - WR - WR - WR - TE - Flex - Flex - SFlex

Drew the 1.01 overall in the random pick generator. Didn’t really like it so I tried to trade down. No luck. There was a nice draft position trade between two teams (where they exchange their entire draft picks). I wasn’t part of it, but thought it was cool because I had never seen it happen.

Anyway, unfortunately I was unable to trade down, so I made my pick. I normally go QB-QB with my first two picks in a superflex and this draft was no different. I also knew that I needed to grab a QB here because I wouldn’t get another pick til the end of the 2nd.

I grabbed Wentz because I am a believer. He likely isn’t the concensus #1 in this format, but he was mine. A mix of youth, success, good supporting cast, and a stable coaching situation. He is my franchise guy for years to come on my team.

With my next pick, I grabbed Stafford at the 2.12. Another great QB who is the franchise guy for his team and for mine. Solid offense and smart, experienced QB who has shaken off the injury tag in my opinion.

On the other side of the corner, at the 3.01 I grabbed Keenan Allen. Best of the young WRs left and I knew I had to get him here. There were older, productive WRs on the board but KA is only 25. He is a bit of an injury concern but the risk was worth it here.

After what seemed like another million years, the 4.12 rolled around and my next highest ranked player was Travis Kelce. I think he gets tons of usage next year with Mahomes at the helm. Still young and IMO the 1A/1B with Gronk. Coulda waited on TE but figured there would be a run on them (which I started with this pick).

5.01 I grabbed a RB. Some older guys were available but I went for upside. Being a .5 ppr, I grabbed McKinnon. A reach I know, but I am liking this SF offense. I don’t expect him to be a 3 down back (which there weren’t really any left here) but I think he has a nice ppr upside.

At the next turn there weren’t really any great WR options, so I figured on a couple of pass-catching RBs. At 6.12 I grabbed Duke Johnson. A solid young 3rd down/pass catcher RB, but again stuck behind another thumper. I’m on the Duke train short term and long term - as he is a FA next year.

7.01 I nabbed Tarik Cohen. I’m big on his pass catching skill and honestly think he is the better back on the Bears. He is another pass catching back that I like and is super young. I’ll take him over the WRs available.

I’m hoping to grab a couple of WRs at the next turn to round out my starting roster, but we will see who is there.

Still drafting...and will keep updating.

Some extra analysis...seems like QBs dropped more than I expected. The first two rounds or so were more like a standard startup with very few QBs taken. Makes me second guess whether I should have waited and taken a little less value at QB to have another solid WR or RB. Time will tell...

1.01 - Carson Wentz, QB, PHI
2.12 - Matt Stafford, QB, DET
3.01 - Keenan Allen, WR, SD
4.12 - Travis Kelce, TE, KC
5.01 - Jerrick McKinnon, RB, SF
6.12 - Duke Johnson, RB, CLE
7.01 - Tarik Cohen, RB, CH
8.12 - Sterling Shepherd, WR, NYG
9.01 - Mike Williams, WR, LAC
10.12 - Trent Taylor, WR, SF
11.01 - Chris Carson, RB, SEA
Last edited by slaughterrt on Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:15 am, edited 4 times in total.

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: My 12 team superflex startup so far...

Postby slaughterrt » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:24 am

And also, I’ll talk to the commish about making the league/startup viewable to the public so everyone can follow.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:31 pm

.5ppr AND you can start 4RB/3WR lineup.

Gimme a solid RB stable then, especially with them being scarce in numbers.

QB > RB > WR > TE in this particular league format.

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:51 pm

jordanzs wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:31 pm .5ppr AND you can start 4RB/3WR lineup.

Gimme a solid RB stable then, especially with them being scarce in numbers.

QB > RB > WR > TE in this particular league format.
Agreed on the RBs. I solidified my QBs first off, grabbed an elite WR and TE and now I’m grabbing a handful of pass catching RB types. Hoping it works out but I am liking my team so far. A ton of potential but not super proven at RB.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:05 pm

WR depth will be easy to swap in & out, and you can draft them in future rookie drafts. Everyone will be drafting QBs & RBs to patch their holes in their stables.

Now how are you guys handing rookies? Can you draft rookie placeholder picks?

Please don't tell me that you have a rookie draft that goes in reverse order of this draft (meaning that you pick #12).

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:28 pm

jordanzs wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:05 pm WR depth will be easy to swap in & out, and you can draft them in future rookie drafts. Everyone will be drafting QBs & RBs to patch their holes in their stables.

Now how are you guys handing rookies? Can you draft rookie placeholder picks?

Please don't tell me that you have a rookie draft that goes in reverse order of this draft (meaning that you pick #12).
Unfortunately the rookie draft is separate and is reverse order of startup. However, this year the rookie draft is snake so I have 1.12 and 2.01. Also, I didn’t mention this before but this is a devy league. In our rookie drafts, the first three rounds are rookie only and rounds 4 and 5 are rookie/devy. So in essence, I hold the 4.01 which would be the #1 devy pick.

So it’s not all bad. I’ll grab a couple of rookie RBs and WRs with those picks and then do some devy research to see who is the top guy for next year. I hear 2019 is a good year for WR.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:27 pm

Very unfair system IMO.

It really favors the team at the 12 slot, and also you at the 1 slot.

The teams in the middle start the league at a disadvantage.

But it is what it is and at least you get the #1 projected 2019 player.

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:01 am

jordanzs wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:27 pm Very unfair system IMO.

It really favors the team at the 12 slot, and also you at the 1 slot.

The teams in the middle start the league at a disadvantage.

But it is what it is and at least you get the #1 projected 2019 player.
I would have preferred having rookie slots available in the startup, or even having the rookie players themselves, but oh well.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:51 pm

Yes me to. That is something that I would’ve protested about upon joining the league and hearing the structure. And if the commish didn’t change it, I would’ve politely left and joined another league.

I’ve literally had that happen. But the commish saw my point and fixed.

But at least your team is one of them who gets the unfair advantage.

Whoever drew that 12slot for the startup has a HUGE gift-wrapped present. Hopefullly it wasn’t the commish. I’ve seen an instance on this messageboard once where it was the commish and they had chosen the draft order before he laid the framework of the “separate” rookie draft which just so happened to gift wrap seek to him

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:24 am

And we continue...

8.12 - Sterling Shepherd, WR, NYG
9.01 - Mike Williams, WR, LAC
10.12 - Trent Taylor, WR, SF
11.01 - Chris Carson, RB, SEA

At 8.12, I picked Shepherd. He averaged over 10 points per game last year, in the games that he played. I’m hoping he can repeat. Obviously OBJ will be back, and Engram will be there, but I think there’s good ppr points for Shep. And he is incredibly young. And maybe NYG let OBJ walk after his contract. Who knows?

I grabbed another young WR at 9.01. Mike Williams...the definition of high risk high reward, or so I hope. I don’t like pairing him with Keenan Allen, but he was one of the last young upside WRs I had in this tier. I’ll gladly take a shot here and see if he can stay healthy.

10.12 and another young WR. I like Trent Taylor in that SF offense and I think he takes over nicely in the slot if they don’t bring someone else in.

The draft pool is getting slimmer by the moment, and after just missing on Larry Fitz and Rex Burkhead, I figure Chris Carson has a solid chance at outperforming his 11.01 draft stock. Young RB with no one worth a crap around him. He was the starter last year and I believe he takes it back over once healthy. Surely Seattle drafts another RB but CC should get first crack at it.

Waiting on that 12.01...out of 30 rounds.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:09 pm

Is there any chance of adding QBs still? Last year Bortles & Goff were afterthoughts. They're gold though in this format, looking back a year later. I would even consider throwing guys like DeShon Kaiser on your (deep) bench.

In my 1 superflex league, I remained a competitor for years by having guys like the (Buffalo Bills) Ryan Fitzpatrick as my QB3 to rotate in for a slumping Stafford. You need to play the QB quantity numbers game.

Since you have the 12th & 13th rookie picks, you can probably get your 1.8/1.9 RB and/or WR as numerous QBs should go before your picks.

If some of the 1st round QBs last until you're on the clock, I would grab them.