Release the Guice! - The Derrius Guice Discussion Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Where would you rank Guice in the 2017 rookie class?

Postby Bot101 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:15 pm

I dont want to give the impression I hate Guice. Hes neck and neck with Chubb, with landing spot being the ultimate tie breaker.

austing
Role Player
Role Player

Postby austing » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:27 pm

Bot101 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:15 pm I dont want to give the impression I hate Guice. Hes neck and neck with Chubb, with landing spot being the ultimate tie breaker.
That's pretty much where I'm at. And from that perspective it doesn't make sense that Guice is automatically the 1.02, while chubb is top 5. They seem similar in terms of NFL ceiling predraft.
12 team/37 year contract cap ppr league/ Player (yrs left on team) --- Qb Rb Flex Flex Flex Flex (max 3 rbs, no req. TEs)

QB Josh Allen (1)

RB Nick Chubb (1) Miles Sanders (4) Chase Edmunds (1)

WR Kenny Golladay (2) Jerry Jeudy (4) Courtland Sutton (3) Allen Robinson (3) Marvin Jones (2) Nelson Agholor (1) Nkeal Harry (3)

K Josh Brown (1)

Dst Bears (1)

2021 1.04 Pick (waddle/pitts/williams)

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:14 pm

Bot101 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:09 pm I like RBs who can be physical and break tackles. I dont consider it a positive when hes seeking out contact and not protecting himself. I dont see anything special when he runs that makes me go "wow that was impressive". As far as the Zeke comp above, is it really that glowing? Before he landed in Dallas the overall view on Zeke was very luke warm. If Guice can land on a team with a solid Oline than I will definitely like him more.
I guess if you were lukewarm on Zeke I can see the doubt in Guice, I loved Zeke as a prospect.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:36 pm

I thought he was a good but not great RB. I thought if he landed in the situation that would help him a lot. He seemed like he was good at everything but not great at anything.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:58 pm

Bot101 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:42 pm
Phaded wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:26 pm I like what I see from Guice because I see a violent Lynch-like runner who runs VERY well inside.

I could see a path to him having more NFL success than Barkley without much difficulty.
See the violence is what I dont like. His run style already led to him being dinged up in 2017 but everyone is overlooking it. What makes you think it wont be worse in the NFL? The players are bigger and faster than in college.
Marshawn Lynchs games played per season

07 - 13
08 - 13
09 - 13 (suspended 3 games)
10 - 16
11 - 15
12 - 16
13 - 16
14 - 16
15 - 7
17 - 15 (suspended 1 game)

So basically played 142 out of a possible 160 games (88%), and started 129 (80%)

Not saying Guice is or will be Lynch - just noting Lynchs style of running did not keep him from having a long and relatively healthy career.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:19 pm

But beast mode had wiggle to go with it. He would juke fools out of their jock straps instead of trucking them a lot of the time. He only really breasted dudes when he had to, or in the rare occasion to send a message (usually when he would get got by another defender if he Juked successfully anyways)
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:50 pm

Does Guice not catch the ball well or is he in the same boat as Fournette as far as LSU not doing it as much with their backs. Even Fournette still got that knock and he seemed to catch close to 3 per game this year, which is solid. I by no means am saying it is a strength, but fantasy points are what they are at the end of the day. I honestly don't know if Guice has bad hands or not, but I really think he is a good runner. PPR does factor in greatly, I need a guy to at least get a couple grabs a game.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:15 pm

Friction wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:50 pm Does Guice not catch the ball well or is he in the same boat as Fournette as far as LSU not doing it as much with their backs. Even Fournette still got that knock and he seemed to catch close to 3 per game this year, which is solid. I by no means am saying it is a strength, but fantasy points are what they are at the end of the day. I honestly don't know if Guice has bad hands or not, but I really think he is a good runner. PPR does factor in greatly, I need a guy to at least get a couple grabs a game.
Ive watched probably 8 or 9 games now of Guice (mostly 2016 but some 2017). He seemed to look comfortable catching the ball to me. There were maybe 2 where he started looking up field too early and dropped the ball. Outside of that it seems LSU just didnt utilize him in the passing game often.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:20 am

When I think of violent power backs, I think of Marion Barber.

Rotoworld on his 2012 retirement-
"Barber isn't yet 29, but his body has begun to break down, particularly in the legs, and he's no longer an effective NFL runner. After a highly promising start to his career in Dallas, Barber averaged under 3.8 yards per carry in three of the past four seasons. The 2005 fourth-round pick was one of the NFL's most physical backs during the 2005-2007 campaigns, however, scoring 33 all-purpose touchdowns in his first three years. Ultimately, Barber was the personification of short shelf lives for power running backs in the NFL."

Games played over his career- 13, 16, 16, 15, 15, 13, 11.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:14 am

If you can get 7 good seasons out of Guice, I would think you would be happy with that investing in a RB. Given there are low odds any RB will be on your fantasy team for 7 years.

Also hoping this was from a health standpoint only since Guice is superior to Barber.

Also it's not just power backs, look at a guy like Jamaal Charles who was last relevant at 28. It is just the nature of running back, not just power backs - no matter how good they are. Obviously there are exceptions, like Frank Gore but it is no secret almost all RBs tail off in their late 20s.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:59 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:20 am When I think of violent power backs, I think of Marion Barber.

Rotoworld on his 2012 retirement-
"Barber isn't yet 29, but his body has begun to break down, particularly in the legs, and he's no longer an effective NFL runner. After a highly promising start to his career in Dallas, Barber averaged under 3.8 yards per carry in three of the past four seasons. The 2005 fourth-round pick was one of the NFL's most physical backs during the 2005-2007 campaigns, however, scoring 33 all-purpose touchdowns in his first three years. Ultimately, Barber was the personification of short shelf lives for power running backs in the NFL."

Games played over his career- 13, 16, 16, 15, 15, 13, 11.
I think of Peterson and Lynch personally, both of whom had good career lengths.

And of course for every barber there is a Charles or Westbrook that played with an elusive style but was still done being relevant even with relatively low mileage.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:42 am

austing wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:19 pm
bsp27 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:25 am Guice is extremely comparable to Ezekiel Elliott.

Barkley
Davis
Guice
Mixon
Cook
Chubb
Mccaffrey
Fournette.
Interesting rankings. I'm curious as to how exactly does Guice compare to Elliot? Not disputing that between the tackles both are beasty, but didn't zeke have a much more complete 3 down back profile with more receiving chops? Doesn't that make all the difference between having a zeke and a fournette? Seems like Guice and fournette have similar styles..
Zeke wasn’t exactly peppered with targets in college either. He got more of the “all purpose” label not because he was more well-rounded than Guice and a prolific receiver, but because he was more well-rounded than those in his class. The most hyped prospect in a class is always given a bit of extra push by the media. Zeke was the best that year, so even the things he was good enough at (like receiving), he was labeled as being very good at. This year, Guice has the unfortunate circumstance of being a guy that is just one of a few consolations to Barkley. There will not be the same media hype of Guice’s potential receiving ability, nor will he be given the same opportunity that Zeke was given. First, that opening behind as dominant a line doesn’t exist. Second, no one pushes to create stars like Jerry Jones does.

austing
Role Player
Role Player

Postby austing » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:54 am

Valhalla wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:42 am
austing wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:19 pm
bsp27 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:25 am Guice is extremely comparable to Ezekiel Elliott.

Barkley
Davis
Guice
Mixon
Cook
Chubb
Mccaffrey
Fournette.
Interesting rankings. I'm curious as to how exactly does Guice compare to Elliot? Not disputing that between the tackles both are beasty, but didn't zeke have a much more complete 3 down back profile with more receiving chops? Doesn't that make all the difference between having a zeke and a fournette? Seems like Guice and fournette have similar styles..
Zeke wasn’t exactly peppered with targets in college either. He got more of the “all purpose” label not because he was more well-rounded than Guice and a prolific receiver, but because he was more well-rounded than those in his class. The most hyped prospect in a class is always given a bit of extra push by the media. Zeke was the best that year, so even the things he was good enough at (like receiving), he was labeled as being very good at. This year, Guice has the unfortunate circumstance of being a guy that is just one of a few consolations to Barkley. There will not be the same media hype of Guice’s potential receiving ability, nor will he be given the same opportunity that Zeke was given. First, that opening behind as dominant a line doesn’t exist. Second, no one pushes to create stars like Jerry Jones does.
This makes sense. That's very possible. I suppose the big question is whether nfl teams view Guice as rounded enough to give him 3 down work. That to me is the 1.02 whether that be Guice or chubb, or neither come April if they are drafted to committees. In that situation I would go michel in full ppr personally assuming michel goes to a decent ppr opening.
12 team/37 year contract cap ppr league/ Player (yrs left on team) --- Qb Rb Flex Flex Flex Flex (max 3 rbs, no req. TEs)

QB Josh Allen (1)

RB Nick Chubb (1) Miles Sanders (4) Chase Edmunds (1)

WR Kenny Golladay (2) Jerry Jeudy (4) Courtland Sutton (3) Allen Robinson (3) Marvin Jones (2) Nelson Agholor (1) Nkeal Harry (3)

K Josh Brown (1)

Dst Bears (1)

2021 1.04 Pick (waddle/pitts/williams)

KCLep20
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby KCLep20 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:39 am

The most surprising part of this thread to me is how high people still are on Corey Davis...I might be completely wrong, but I just don’t see it...he doesn’t impress me, Mariota doesn’t impress me, and it sure doesn’t seem like he will ever be a WR1 and to take him ahead of some of these guys seems ludacris.
1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1Flex (RB/WR/TE)/1 Superflex (QB/RB/WR/TE)
'Ships: 2008, 2017, 2019, 2021; 2nd place: 2010, 2014, 2018, 2022
12 team PPR with 14 Keepers/year
2023 Draft Picks: 1.04, 1.05, 1.11, 3.04, 3.07, 5.04
QB: L.Jackson, J. Burrow, G. Minshew, J. Winston
RB: J.Mixon, ETN, Jav.Williams, J.Conner, Z.Moss, JK Dobbins (IR), N.Chubb (IR)
WR: AJB, CD Lamb, DK, C.Sutton
TE: M.Andrews, T.McBride, I. Likely

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:41 am

I'm right there with you - I don't see the reason for the Corey Davis love.
I would easily take 1.02 for Davis if I had him as I like Guice much more as a prospect.