To move a QB or not to move a QB...

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

To move a QB or not to move a QB...

Postby jeffster » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:33 am

I'm wavering on an off-season move, so I welcome some feedback. It's a 12-team PPR superflex, start QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE, 2 Flex, 1 Superflex. My key players look like this:

QB: Goff, Brady, Mahomes, Tannehill
RB: Fournette, Drake, CJA, DMart, Carson, Ekeler, Buck
WR: AJG, MThomas, ARob, Thielen, Martavis, DJax
TE: Rudolph, Burton, ASJ

There are a handful of others in every position, but these are the ones that matter most. I've said it elsewhere in this forum, but having 4 starting QBs seems excessive to me, and I feel like I have a particular need at RB. I feel pretty well set at WR and TE, and at least one flex spot, but Drake, CJA, DMart, Carson, Ekeler and Buck are all huge question marks before we see how FA and the draft shakes out. It seems like good odds that at least one of them pans out as a usable starter, but I really need two.

Normally I would advocate for moving a QB to fill that spot. Two starting QBs on your bench is a lot of wasted points. However, my starting QBs aren't exactly secure... Brady's age, Mahomes' newness and Tannehill's knee and mediocrity in particular. Is there enough uncertainty there that you would hold all four, or is there enough need at RB that you would risk moving one to shore up RB?

For some background, I finished the 2017 regular season in 1st place, but stumbled in the semis and finished 3rd. Goff and Brady took me a long way last year (and I had Cutler for bye weeks, since dropped). My 2018 draft picks are 3.01, 3.07 and 3.10.

Docmcstuffins
Role Player
Role Player

Re: To move a QB or not to move a QB...

Postby Docmcstuffins » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:07 am

It's definitely a good question and I really like your team btw. I think I'd hold actually and keep starting Goff and Brady. That will give you a chance to see how Mahommes pans out and if Tannehill can bounce back. Hopefully you can get by with Fournette, CJA and Drake. Now if you could get some great package for Brady I could see moving him but I kind of doubt whatever you could get would make it worth it.
Legends of the Ring - est. 2017
14-team, 53 man roster, superflex, full IDP
The Hart Foundation
http://www61.myfantasyleague.com/2019/home/42572#0

Marvel vs DC - est 2018
14 team, 53 man roster, superflex, full IDP
Deadpool
http://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2019/home/58114#0

GI Joe vs Cobra - est 2019
14 team, 45 man roster, superflex, full IDP
Stormshadow
http://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2019/home/50265#0

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:58 am

Definitely hold: you'd be solving one problem by creating another.

If you move, say, Tannehill, then you're not going to get an RB that much better than what you already have. If you move, say, Goff, then you have a huge hole at QB (Is Mahomes any good? Will Tanny even be good? What happens when Brady declines/retires?).

Solving the RB problem --even on a temporary yearly basis! -- is almost always easier than solving the QB problem, especially in an SF league.

Honestly, if anything, I would be looking to UPGRADE your QBs...
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:14 am

Well the hype on Burton is starting to reach the stratosphere (deals involving 2nds or owners only moving him for early 2nds) ... so maybe pair Burton with Tanny return or something else and a later pick for a better draft spot to grab a QB/RB that falls?

Not sure what your rookie drafts are like, but seems possible that a top 5 qb could fall to mid 2nd, so I think aiming for 2.04-2.06 could net you an RB or QB you like.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:16 pm

I would hold, I'm not that high on Goff and don't consider him elite so you need the cover. You'll create a problem to fix another like someone else said

marcriggs
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby marcriggs » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:48 am

On principle I agree with you, that you don't need 4 starting QBs.
I would try to move Tannehill for a top 20 RB or so (maybe pair him with CJA).
With the Mahomes hype right now, I personally would want to see what I could get for him. Maybe you can get a mid/late 1st and draft one of the rookie QBs and get an upgrade at RB as well.
Team 1, 12 Team, Superflex 1/2 PPR
QB: Rodgers, Wilson, McCown
RB: Anderson, Burkhead, Drake, Kamara, Lewis
WR: Baldwin, Garcon, Green, Landry, Lockett, Snead, Wallace, Hurns
TE: Reed, Cook
Picks: 1.04, 2.01, 2.02, 2.04

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby jeffster » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:22 am

ArrylT wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:14 am Well the hype on Burton is starting to reach the stratosphere (deals involving 2nds or owners only moving him for early 2nds) ... so maybe pair Burton with Tanny return or something else and a later pick for a better draft spot to grab a QB/RB that falls?

Not sure what your rookie drafts are like, but seems possible that a top 5 qb could fall to mid 2nd, so I think aiming for 2.04-2.06 could net you an RB or QB you like.
Packaging to upgrade at QB is an idea I hadn't considered yet. There are a few very QB needy teams... there's also a team with desparate need at every position, except for Wilson and Cam at QB. Not sure what I might assemble for an offer that high though. Like, his best non-QB is probably Baldwin.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:56 pm

If you trade anyone it should be Mahomes. Can't see him producing any better than Tannehill but he will carry more trade value. That said, in any superflex or 2QB format I prefer to hang onto all 4. Situations change quickly.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

motherlode
Role Player
Role Player

Postby motherlode » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:33 pm

skip wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:56 pm That said, in any superflex or 2QB format I prefer to hang onto all 4. Situations change quickly.
I agree. I went into the draft last year in one of my SF leagues with Cam, Winston, Goff and Bradford. Traded Goff away to shore up my WRs. Bradford got hurt putting on his helmet week 1. Cam played gimpy the first half of the season. Jameis missed time. QB went from a perceived strength to a Mongolian cluster f*** in a heartbeat.