Brandin Cooks value?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Brandin Cooks value?

Postby Gator Sens » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:03 am

How does everyone feel about Cooks? Is he worth the 1.03 or 1.04 or are the players available at those slots more valuable? Thanks for the input.

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Brandin Cooks value?

Postby cazzie33 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:00 am

I'd keep Cooks in PPR

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:57 am

Depends on what happens with the 1.03 and 1.04, as they could shape up to be really valuable this year.

Here's what we know about Cooks:
1. He's never played with anybody other than a Hall of Fame QB
2. In 2017 the Patriots attempted 587 passes. This was the fewest attempts that an offense featuring Cooks has ever attempted; so he's always played with a Hall of Fame QB who was throwing the ball a ton.
3. Julian Edelman is expected back for training camp. In 2016 he received 159 targets.
4. Tom Brady will turn 41 before the start of the 2018 season. His backup is Brian Hoyer.

I'm looking to sell Cooks where I can.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:09 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:57 am Depends on what happens with the 1.03 and 1.04, as they could shape up to be really valuable this year.

2. In 2017 the Patriots attempted 587 passes. This was the fewest attempts that an offense featuring Cooks has ever attempted; so he's always played with a Hall of Fame QB who was throwing the ball a ton.
3. Julian Edelman is expected back for training camp. In 2016 he received 159 targets.
4. Tom Brady will turn 41 before the start of the 2018 season. His backup is Brian Hoyer.

All true. I agree his situation is worsening this year.
As for putting any slight on his talent level, or writing off his production as just being a product of the QBs he has played with...it's not like Brady has been effectively throwing deep lately. He missed or underthrew a WIDE open Cooks on multiple occasions. Brady is still a lightning quick read of the field, and can pick a defense apart because of that skill. He doesn't have much for zip or placement on deeper routes, though. That was never great, and it's fallen off markedly.

Before people rant about how I can't slight a guy's talent when he just won the MVP...I'm not slighting his passing talent. He is an EXCELLENT processor and knows how to attack a defense possibly better than anyone in the game right now. That doesn't mean he and Cooks fit well together, though. Brady eats teams up in the short game, as everyone knows.

If you're talking about the near future for Cooks, I agree. His numbers will probably dip some. I do believe he is a highly skilled WR, though. He can do what Edelman does. The reason he DIDN'T do what Edelman does...is because Cooks can clear out the underneath stuff like most other WRs can't. The Pats have PLENTY of WRs (and TE and RBs) that can play the short game at a very high level. Cooks can too, but they deployed him deep as he was the best threat to put on those routes. In my opinion, that's the correct way to play the cards, but it makes a lot of fans that don't really watch Cooks believe that he's simply a deep threat and little more.

I think Cooks will always put up nice numbers because he just has the talent. I don't believe he's just a product of Brees and Brady. He's definitely worth a high first IMO, even believing that his numbers will likely dip in '18.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:06 am

He's worth more and I'm not even that high on him. He's probably also not that much older than whoever you take with those picks.

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Postby mullmania » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:23 am

I had to move a Cooper copy in a contract league and the Cooks owner had to move him so we basically swapped.

Cooks-Burkhead for Cooper-2.10 was the basic part of the deal

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Postby mullmania » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:25 am

I agree with the assessment above that Cooks 2018 outlook might dim because of Edelman-Brady's age ect but when you watch his 2018 Pats tape he actually made a lot of contested catches and as a pure WR talent he impressed me last year.

He's more than just a speedster. He tracks the ball well, makes good adjustments, has great body control, ect

Another year in the Pats system and maybe last year was his floor. Who knows.

RB6
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby RB6 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:28 am

Cooks. You pray the 1.03 turns into a player like him. Take the sure thing.
.5PPR 1Q/3W/2R/1T/1SF/2F
LJax, Burrow, Carr, Huntley, Heinicke, Cunningham
Adams, Kupp, Deebo, M Brown, AD, Pearsall, Wiliams, C Samuel, Palmer, E. Moore, Hodgins, Hutchinson
CMC, Barkley, Mostert, Moss, Dillon, Kelley, Tucker
Andrews, Kmet, Jordan, Higbee

PPR 1Q/3W/2R/1T/1SF/2F
Mahomes, Purdy, Dalton, Henicke, Trask, Zappe
Henry, Pacheco, Robinson, Wilson, Ford, Chandler, Deuce
Hill, Kupp, Shaheed, Toney, Lazard, Metchie, Mingo, Slayton, Shenault, Atwell, Hutchinson
Pitts, Waller, Washington

PPR Best Ball Dynasty SF +.5TEP
Stroud, Caleb, Daniels, Cousins
Walker, J Cook, Miller, Spears, Rodriguez, Watson
St. Brown, MHJ, Aiyuk, DJ Moore, London, Odunze, Doubs, Pearsall, Baker, Washington, Cowing, Thrash, Flournoy
Kincaid, Dulcich, Fant, Schoonmaker, Hurst

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:10 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:57 am Depends on what happens with the 1.03 and 1.04, as they could shape up to be really valuable this year.

He's also only played with QBs that are well known for spreading the ball around.

I honestly think he'd be better off with a mediocre QB that targeted him more.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Postby mullmania » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:12 pm

^ Cooks is a good guy to argue both sides on. Glass half full or half empty.

I agree if Cooks ever got Landry or KA type targets he could have a huge year.