How do you market / sell your picks?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

How do you market / sell your picks?

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:09 pm

I'm trying to figure out how to best sell a very high pick in one of my leagues (DFL PL). But this thread isn't really about that, just mentioning in for a bit more context.

The question is how do you go about marketing / selling your picks? I'm keen to here your tactics to maximize value. Let's focus on the months and weeks leading up to and following the NFL Draft. Not future picks, not sales that happen way out. Do you wait for others to approach you? Do you soft market on a trading block? Do you go after possible trading partners (guys who have pieces you want)? Do you start with actual offers or "reach out to express interest"? I like the 2nd route, by starting a discussion... But again, wanna hear your thoughts and ways of doing things. Can you be overly desperate and chill the market / suppress value?

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Re: How do you market / sell your picks?

Postby lukkynumber13 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:19 pm

I would like to sell my 1.02. Very interested to hear what others have to say.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, J Daniels, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/G WILSON/D ADAMS/DK, Pittman, Flowers, Evans, Pearsoll
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/COUSINS, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
LAPORTA/KELCE/KITTLE
/
TEAM C - 32T (2 copy), 1QB, TEP
TUA, J Daniels
KAMARA, J Brooks, Monty, Mattison
JJ/DK/GODWIN/K ALLEN, Kirk, J Meyers, Polk, Wandale
KITTLE, Goedert, Higbee
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE, Pollard
CHASE/G WILSON/AIYUK/DJM, Nabers, Pittman, Diggs, Polk
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/BREECE, Pollard
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert
/
TEAM F - 12T, SF & TEP
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:26 pm

Yeah I do something like that. Announce that I'm willing to trade 1.1 and then be patient for offers. Someone will want it, and the price tends to go up the longer you wait.

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:31 pm

I'm on board for some thoughts on the subject as well. i own a 1.02 and a 1.06 in one league, and a 1.03 and 1.09 in another. I'd get of all of them for proven assets.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:35 pm

One thing I've been doing this year (primarily for small-asset trades) is to send out a league wide email something like this:

"Hey all, I'm looking to do XYZ (package some IDP depth for a future late pick, etc). I've sent you all trade offers. If I seem way off, feel free to counter. I'm wanting to make a move by (tonight, end of week, etc), first come first served. Thanks!"

I've had pretty good luck getting either an instant accept by 1 of the 11 other owners, OR at least opening up talks with 1-2 owners within an hour or 2
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, J Daniels, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/G WILSON/D ADAMS/DK, Pittman, Flowers, Evans, Pearsoll
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/COUSINS, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
LAPORTA/KELCE/KITTLE
/
TEAM C - 32T (2 copy), 1QB, TEP
TUA, J Daniels
KAMARA, J Brooks, Monty, Mattison
JJ/DK/GODWIN/K ALLEN, Kirk, J Meyers, Polk, Wandale
KITTLE, Goedert, Higbee
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE, Pollard
CHASE/G WILSON/AIYUK/DJM, Nabers, Pittman, Diggs, Polk
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/BREECE, Pollard
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert
/
TEAM F - 12T, SF & TEP
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

koalabear
Captain
Captain

Postby koalabear » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:46 pm

I'm waiting for day one of the NFL draft to finish.
Then will message everyone in the league that my 1.01 is for sale.
1. 12 team 1pt PPR. Start 1 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-4 WR, 1-2 TE. Yr 7
QB: Murray, Stafford
RB: Dobbins, Sanders, Pearce
WR: Jefferson, Burks, JuJu
TE: Goedert, Everett
2023: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

2. 12 team 1pt PPR. Start 1 QB, 2-4 RB, 3-5 WR, 1-3 TE. Yr 6.
QB: Jackson, Allen
RB: Akers, CEH
WR: Chase, M Brown, Pittman, M Williams
TE: Tonyan, Hooper
2023: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

3. 12 team superflex, PPR (WR/RB/TE 1/1.25/1.5). Start 1-2 QB, 1-7 RB, WR, TE. Yr 5.
QB: Jackson, Prescott, Brady
RB: Singletary, Harris
WR: Jefferson, Adams, Burks, Evans, Lockett
TE: Hockenson
2023: 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

Generic Username
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Generic Username » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:53 pm

It is my approach to always wait until after the NFL draft to sell the 1.01 and 1.02 UNLESS I get some way too good to turn down offer. I'll let the league know they're for sale some time after free agency and stress that I'm in no hurry to make a deal

I'll also assess what my team needs and go over all other rosters to see what I might "counter" with if they come calling

ETA: unless there's someone I'm fully enamored with, any pick 3-12 is open for trade pre-draft; whether that be move back, add talent, etc. Whatever I feel is best for the team

DynastyBuilder515
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DynastyBuilder515 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:25 pm

Personally I am always looking to consolidate and move up pre NFL draft. I don't do a league wide communication for this. Just reach out to certain owners who have picks I am interested in.

Moving higher picks I always wait until after NFL draft. I typically shop them actively after the draft until I am on the clock. I usually hold out for an overpay when it comes to draft picks. If I can't get that I try to trade back.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:29 pm

I feel like you're typically going to get the greatest return if you are approaching others with a direct offer.

The problem with throwing stuff out on the trading block or starting a discussion gauging someone's interest in the pick is that they are going to perceive it as if they will be able to get the pick at a discount since you don't really want it.

Of course, it's a lot more fun to throw up a message and then sit back and let a bunch of those "trade proposal received" emails that are like getting a present on Christmas pour in, but if your goal is to get the best deal I think you're a lot better off doing the leg work yourself.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:45 pm

One tactic that I'm using is to announce that I've been having some good discussions with a couple of guys. Hoping that will get some others to want to jump in as well. Has worked in the past on other deals. Problem is that it's the DFL PL, and most guys will read this post.

:lol:

The problem is that this year it seems people just aren't that keen to move up into the top slots. Think that will change once landing spots are determined. Really hoping that Mixon goes to Oakland at #24! That will cause some guys to lose it.

So yeah, definitely holding until after The Draft.

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:54 pm

1) Generally speaking if you are trying to move the higher priced pick, wait until as close to on the clock as possible. there are exceptions of course but by and large march is not as good a time to move your 1.02 as the night before you go on the clock.

2) as you would with other trades, as i have seen several of the very good owners in this topic counsel other owners to do, spend some time finding a trade partner that makes sense. yes, certainly, everyone is interested in a very high pick...but for some teams it really makes more sense. a team whose rebuild netted them a fistful of mid/late 1sts but no high ones. a guy who you know to be high on the top tier of players but is just outside their range. a guy who traded his pick away during a prior season and whose pick is now quite high. this doesn't only go for rebuilding teams: contending teams who are 1 piece away in a draft class loaded with that piece for example.

3) sure, there's no harm in using a trading block or throwing out some blanket emails, but people tend to react most strongly when there is an offer on the table--even if reacting just means initiating a discussion about what does or doesn't work for them.

4) finally, and this is wildly subjective "to each their own" territory but, for me, i try to sell at a price point that i know is a bit less than the market value. the crazier the 1.01 prices flying around the forums, the better. i undershoot those and it facilitates dealing.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2023 Champ: Benny Blanco
2022 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj (again!)
2021 Champ: ZShultz
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

smallxl
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby smallxl » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:56 pm

koalabear wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:46 pm I'm waiting for day one of the NFL draft to finish.
Then will message everyone in the league that my 1.01 is for sale.
I concur with this. I hold the 1.01 in one of my 2 leagues.

I'll wait patiently for the draft to unfold. I did have one owner pose this question about 3 weeks ago:

"How do I get the 1.01??!!"....maybe the day of the real draft or league draft I'll test him a bit
22-man, 12-team, 1 pt-PPR; Start 1-2RB; 3-4 WR; 1-2 TE

TEAM 1
QB: Prescott, Foles
RB: Barkley, P Barber, Duke, Gio Bernard, Gus, C Thompson, Breida, Ekeler
WR: A Cooper, Cooks, Lockett, C. Davis, Crowder, Chark, Stills
TE: OJ Howard

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:57 pm

- Have in mind what you would like in return. Is it multiple picks? Player and pick? Position?
- Post to your trade block. Indicate which pick or picks you have available and what you are looking for.
- Review other rosters to see who would benefit most from adding the pick and see what you would want from that team so you are prepared to counter if needed.
- Reach out to owners who have shown prior interest in adding picks. Those owners are always out there.
- Respond to all offers instead of instantly rejecting any proposal you don't like.

Keep in mind that this is still somewhat of a down period for a lot of owners out there and you will get more interest during the draft but that it'll die down again until training camp starts so be patient.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:58 pm

You have to announce it to the whole league that the pick is for sale and be somewhat specific to what you're looking for in return. The ones who are really interested will make solid offers as they won't want to miss out on it to another owner.

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:55 am

In addition to all the options noted above, I always make sure to have an answer to WHY I am willing to trade that pick. I'm looking to trade 1.02, as well. If someone asks "why", I need a convincing answer in order to maximize value.

I'll give one two answers:

"In truth, there's a player that I like there. But, I have never yet had a first-round pick in this league [note: this is true, and we're entering year 5 -- and this includes the start-up draft!], so I want to keep that streak going, if I can :)."

"In truth, there's a player that I like there. But, I've won back-to-back championships, so I'm willing to give up some stud youth upside for something that can help me keep my streak going."

Doesn't matter what the response is, but it's critical that the other owner(s) know that you value the pick but have a legit reason for moving it rather than letting them think that you're desperately trying to get rid of it.

With that last sentence in mind, my overall strategy is to post to the league that it's available for trade. Then, I target a couple of specific owners who have either shown a love for rookie picks or have a player that I want. I'll just email that owner something like, "Hey, start thinking about what you'd offer for 1.02. We'll talk later." I NEVER hard-sell the pick now -- it looks desperate. But, if necessary, I would hard-sell the pick OTC since I have nothing left to lose at that point.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Brooks ('27), Wright ('27), Guerendo ('26), Mitchell ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), Nabers ('28), Worthy ('28), Polk ('28), Franklin ('28), E Moore ('25), M Thomas ('25), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $201

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): Sinnott ('28), All ('28), Schrader ('26), A Reed ('28)