Strong Sell: Spencer Ware

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
skip
GOAT
GOAT

Strong Sell: Spencer Ware

Postby skip » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:48 am

I took a lot of criticism last off season for advocating against paying high prices for backup players with "opportunity" as well as for pushing to sell overvalued players who had gotten lunged into opportunistic situations who had value that could only go down. Of note they were the likes of Rawls, McKinnon, Karlos Williams among others. So here we are again and I am going to encourage the sale of Spencer Ware. Thankfully I am seeing a little more reservations on Ware which is good. Maybe owners finally started to realize the inherent dangers of acquiring RBs during the off season at this time of year.

IMO, Ware's value should be a mid/late 2nd round pick and I believe owners can probably move him for a late 1st in most leagues. He is a backup level player who was thrust into the starting role last season due to the poor health of Jamaal Charles. Why such a low value?

1) Ware first got "noticed" in 2015 with a handful of good games during Charles' absence. He then became the starter by default in 2016 and did well at the outset. His numbers looked good thru the first 7 weeks of the season but he then faded in a major way. From that point forward, he failed to pass 70 yards on the ground, never had a 100+ total yard week, scored only 2 TDs (in the same week), and his ypc dropped to 3.6. I have serious doubts that he can hold up to a full season in the role.

2) The current rostered RBs for the Chiefs are Spencer Ware, Charcandrick West, CJ Spiller and Darrin Reaves. While I was a very vocal supporter of Spiller early in his career and about him being completely mishandled by the Buffalo coaching staff, at this point we all recognize he's little more than just a camp body. He should be considered a long shot to make the 53 man roster and the same goes for Reaves. This leaves a hole at RB that needs to be filled.

I have no idea if anyone is mocking a RB to Kansas City but I will. I believe the ideal fit for them is Christian McCaffrey but it may be that they need to take him on day one if they want him.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Kramer
MVP
MVP

Re: Strong Sell: Spencer Ware

Postby Kramer » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:02 am

CMac would be a great fit for them. I've also seen Mixon (doubt that happens in the 1st round) and Cook mocked there. I agree on selling Ware while you can.
10 team SF .5ppr-QB,2RB,3WR,TE,Flex,SF,Def (30 spots)
QB: Allen, AR, Brissett
RB: Mixon,Barkley,Rhamondre,Foreman
WR: Deebo,Adams,Jeudy, Devonta,Nuk
TE: Knox,Chig, Woods, Ferguson
2023 picks: 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20
2024 picks: 3 2nds
2025 picks: 3 2nds

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:09 am

He went over 1,000 total yards and gets a good amount of goal line work. Anything less than early round 2 doesn't make sense to me if selling.

He had a concussion which set him back some and clearly he struggled to sustain performing over 16 games. He's not the first and won't be the last. He's a good RB2 and a very good FLEX.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:17 am

The buzz around KC is that the Chiefs intend to improve their RB room with the departure of Charles. Now that could mean they look for a 3rd down compliment to Ware, thus improving on Charcandrick West, but the common thinking is that they're looking for a new lead back. If I could get a decent pick toward the top of the 2nd round or a player I liked more I would definitely sell.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:03 pm

I also endorse selling Ware for a late 1st. I like Ware. I like his tape. But he plays the most volatile position in fantasy, and that's a fantastic return for a guy people plucked off the wire in late '15. An RB with his background (i.e. former backup, former fullback, very modest pedigree... maybe it's not fair, but these perceptions will immediately resurrect in the minds of fantasy football the instant KC gets a 'sexier' young RB prospect on that depth-chart) can nosedive in dynasty value virtually over night, so don't be greedy and hold out for more.

With that being said, I tentatively expect the Chiefs to draft an RB on Day 3, not Day 2. However, I also think there are going to be some sneaky good RB prospects still available on Day 3 of this class, guys potentially talented enough to move ahead of Ware and West.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:39 pm

I would agree with you if the valuations in my league were anything close to any 1st.

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:36 pm

@PlankMelody

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:05 pm

Phaded wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:39 pm I would agree with you if the valuations in my league were anything close to any 1st.
Sort of what I am thinking. Are people actually giving 1st for Ware? If so, I'm not seeing any. As an owner, I'm looking for you if you're out there...hit me up. Let's deal.

Sadly, I think it is a small minority truly willing to make such a deal between the end of the season and the NFL Draft. It may have been, or perhaps it is in startups, but that seems a tad high.

koalabear
Captain
Captain

Postby koalabear » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:08 am

FiremanEd wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:05 pm
Phaded wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:39 pm I would agree with you if the valuations in my league were anything close to any 1st.
Sort of what I am thinking. Are people actually giving 1st for Ware? If so, I'm not seeing any. As an owner, I'm looking for you if you're out there...hit me up. Let's deal.

Sadly, I think it is a small minority truly willing to make such a deal between the end of the season and the NFL Draft. It may have been, or perhaps it is in startups, but that seems a tad high.
Couldn't get better than 2.05 in one league, which I took. Holding him in another league as couldn't even get a mid-2nd.
1. 12 team 1pt PPR. Start 1 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-4 WR, 1-2 TE. Yr 7
QB: Murray, Stafford
RB: Dobbins, Sanders, Pearce
WR: Jefferson, Burks, JuJu
TE: Goedert, Everett
2023: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

2. 12 team 1pt PPR. Start 1 QB, 2-4 RB, 3-5 WR, 1-3 TE. Yr 6.
QB: Jackson, Allen
RB: Akers, CEH
WR: Chase, M Brown, Pittman, M Williams
TE: Tonyan, Hooper
2023: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

3. 12 team superflex, PPR (WR/RB/TE 1/1.25/1.5). Start 1-2 QB, 1-7 RB, WR, TE. Yr 5.
QB: Jackson, Prescott, Brady
RB: Singletary, Harris
WR: Jefferson, Adams, Burks, Evans, Lockett
TE: Hockenson
2023: 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:20 am

in DLF rookie rankings right 16 thru 20 cannon godwin ( no way he drops that far in most leagues) , dupre , hunt & gallman of that group I would only take godwin over ware and like I mentioned earlier no way godwin drops to 17th IMHO.
So ware> 2.5 especially for a win now/ or rb needy squad.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

DynastyBuilder515
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DynastyBuilder515 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:14 pm

So if picks aren't an option who are some good players to deal ware straight up for?

Ryantacular
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Ryantacular » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:31 am

If enough people think he's a strong sell, then he will actually become a strong buy , as nobody will be willing to buy him , thinking he's just a sell, so the ware owner should unload cheaper as he panics because nobody wants to buy. Which I'm in favor of. Keep this going. I want cheap ware shares.

smallxl
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby smallxl » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:57 am

I wouldn't necessarily tag him as a strong sell. I still like him but am more concerned what the coaches think. I sold Ware, the 3.09 and Mariota for Landry and the 3.04 for what it is worth
22-man, 12-team, 1 pt-PPR; Start 1-2RB; 3-4 WR; 1-2 TE

TEAM 1
QB: Prescott, Foles
RB: Barkley, P Barber, Duke, Gio Bernard, Gus, C Thompson, Breida, Ekeler
WR: A Cooper, Cooks, Lockett, C. Davis, Crowder, Chark, Stills
TE: OJ Howard

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:58 am

smallxl wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:57 am I wouldn't necessarily tag him as a strong sell. I still like him but am more concerned what the coaches think. I sold Ware, the 3.09 and Mariota for Landry and the 3.04 for what it is worth
Nicely done. 12 team, 1 QB, Mariota is replaceable.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:10 pm

smallxl wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:57 am I wouldn't necessarily tag him as a strong sell. I still like him but am more concerned what the coaches think. I sold Ware, the 3.09 and Mariota for Landry and the 3.04 for what it is worth
Pretty massive win there even if KC doesn't draft anyone. Hard to imagine why someone would give up Landry in that trade a few weeks before the draft when that may render Ware irrelevant.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert