Doug Martin

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
melohaven
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Doug Martin

Postby melohaven » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:46 pm

Has anyone heard of any news on Doug Martin about him and the Bucs recently? At the beginning of the year I saw a lot of "reports" that Bucs were going to release him since his suspension voided the guaranteed money. Since he hasn't been released and haven't heard anything about him, I'm curious if anyone else has heard reports about him recently.

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Doug Martin

Postby Plank » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:51 pm

You hear nothing but Crickets here in Tampa ... the occasional cicada..
@PlankMelody

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:39 pm

I imagine they will make their choice on him post-draft. Owners better hope they don't draft a rb. If they do, and then they dump Martin, where does that leave him? Teams searching for a starter or a major carries guy will have addressed it in the draft.

ChuckCecil26
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ChuckCecil26 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:09 pm

Valhalla wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:39 pm I imagine they will make their choice on him post-draft. Owners better hope they don't draft a rb. If they do, and then they dump Martin, where does that leave him? Teams searching for a starter or a major carries guy will have addressed it in the draft.
This is a really good point. But I'm holding some hope out for Martin as a bench stash who might have a better chance than the typical waiver wire guys to deliver some startable performances. 2016 was a really good year (praise the gods) in terms of a limited number of injuries to starting RBs. That might not happen again in 2017.

And even if he's released post-draft, I have to think that some opportunities will be there for him. Arian Foster wasn't signed until late July last year -- a dubious signing, but had his body held up, we might still be thinking Ajayi's a possible bust.

Compared to Foster (and to AP and Charles), Martin at 28 should have more left in the tank. I could see him move to a new team and have a 2-year career rival like Blount has done in NE.
Risk-averse players want guarantees. The gamblers understand that there are no guarantees.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:25 pm

ChuckCecil26 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:09 pm
Valhalla wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:39 pm I imagine they will make their choice on him post-draft. Owners better hope they don't draft a rb. If they do, and then they dump Martin, where does that leave him? Teams searching for a starter or a major carries guy will have addressed it in the draft.
This is a really good point. But I'm holding some hope out for Martin as a bench stash who might have a better chance than the typical waiver wire guys to deliver some startable performances. 2016 was a really good year (praise the gods) in terms of a limited number of injuries to starting RBs. That might not happen again in 2017.

And even if he's released post-draft, I have to think that some opportunities will be there for him. Arian Foster wasn't signed until late July last year -- a dubious signing, but had his body held up, we might still be thinking Ajayi's a possible bust.

Compared to Foster (and to AP and Charles), Martin at 28 should have more left in the tank. I could see him move to a new team and have a 2-year career rival like Blount has done in NE.
Martin in NE would have me highly interested

Kossack
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Kossack » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:46 am

Might be wishful thinking as a Martin owner but NE always seems to pluck the Tampa castoffs and do well.

Unless a top RB falls to the bucs in the draft I can see them cutting Martin and his voided guaranteed 6 million and signing AP with an incentive laden deal for not much more than they'd have paid Martin.

Belichick always seems to be able to get guys that have devalued themselves via bleep to swallow cheap contracts and play for a championship calibre team in NE. Blount will sign elsewhere for peanuts after the draft and Martin will assume his role. I foresee a 50/40/10 split for Martin/Burkead/White-Lewis. I think Martin would get the most work as he has more wiggle than Blount so he wouldn't just mop up 4th quarter leads like Blount has over the last few years.

Fingers crossed!!
16 team, PPR, 45 man rosters, all TDs 6 pts
start 1 qb, 2 rb, 3 wr, 1 te, 1 dt, 2 de, 3 lb, 2 cb, 2 s, 1 non qb flex

QB - Winston, Sieman, Joshua Dobbs
RB - Martin, M. Gordon, Howard, R. Burkhead, Langford, C. Sims, Kapri Bibbs, W. Gallman
WR - ARob, Jordy, A. Jeffery, E. Sanders, Agholor, B. Ellington, C. Peake, Krishawn Hogan, Ryan Grant
TE - Ebron, Tye, G. Everett
DT - A. Donald, C. Baker
DE - Z. Ansah, D. Buckner, C. Wake, T. Flowers, V. Curry
LB - D. Johnson, K. Mack, C. Kirskey, Kwaitkowski, G. Hodges, Jaylon Smith,
CB - J. Bradbury, A. Bouye, D. Butler,
S - J. Addae, K. Neal, Geathers, Sua Cravens

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:19 am

the best thing for martin owners is if he gets cut or tampa forces him to take a restructured prove it deal. He runs harder towards the pile of cash than when it is weighing down his wallet . If I owned any shares I would be hoping he gets cut and signs a prove it deal anywhere.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:52 am

No sense in dumping Martin now when they can do it later, costs them nothing regardless. They don't want to tip their hat on drafting a RB. I'm guessing they're targeting a top back. They got Jameis a real #2 WR, now time for a run game. He was asked to do too much last year.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:37 am

Space Cowboy wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:52 am No sense in dumping Martin now when they can do it later, costs them nothing regardless. They don't want to tip their hat on drafting a RB. I'm guessing they're targeting a top back. They got Jameis a real #2 WR, now time for a run game. He was asked to do too much last year.
Agreed. If I were forced to bet on his destiny with the Bucs, I'd say cut after the draft.

Is there any deadline on the Buc's side here where they need to make a financial decision on cutting him or not? Once OTAs start? Preseason? Not until his suspension is over? I know that the suspension voided the guaranteed $, but a portion must become guaranteed again at some point. When does his contract become part of their cap hit?
It would REALLY suck for Martin (and his owners I suppose) if the Bucs could keep him into week 3 of the NFL season for insurance and then cut him right before he returns at no penalty to him. Just screws his career up. I suppose he shouldn't have been on performance enhancing drugs...
Funny how your career and finances are really potentially wrecked for this in the NFL...and in MLB, does their contract even get hit? Pretty sure it's all fully guaranteed.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:58 am

pretty sure if he is on the roster on week 1 his contract becomes guaranteed as a vested veteran although they have a roster exemption for him and he doesn't count against the 53 . He also loses a pro rata amount of $ for the games he is out. He would still be owed the balance of his 2017 salary as he earns it although any bonus $ I am not sure about the status . That is not the gospel just my opinion/understanding of the CBA .
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:18 am

Yeah I'm sure if Dalvin Cook is there, Jameis will lobby for him...
@PlankMelody

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:49 pm

Plank wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:18 am Yeah I'm sure if Dalvin Cook is there, Jameis will lobby for him...
I'm not so sure Jameis will be on hand in the draft room

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:57 pm

Valhalla wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:49 pm
Plank wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:18 am Yeah I'm sure if Dalvin Cook is there, Jameis will lobby for him...
But I heard theyre gonna be having crab legs.

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:15 am

Space Cowboy wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:57 pm
Valhalla wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:49 pm
But I heard theyre gonna be having crab legs.
I like it, 6.5/10, maybe even round up to 7.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon May 01, 2017 6:10 am

So Doug Martin dodged a bullet with the Buccaneers not using any early pick on a running back. They did use a 5th on Jeremy Nichols though.

Current ADP is 146, so an early 12th round startup pick. With Bucs management recently putting out some positive comments on Doug, is his value recovering at all or are we still really down on him?
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.