If one really wants Dez Bryant how long can he wait?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
prf1027
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

If one really wants Dez Bryant how long can he wait?

Postby prf1027 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:22 am

Along with probably my whole initial draft league, I really want Dez Bryant. He has big potential in a great situation. But no one wants to jump too early and lose out on quality talent for winning now. So how long can I wait? I know it will be situational during the draft but I want to know if I have to target 4th round or maybe 6th.
QB: Roethlisberger, Bradford, Favre
RB: C. Johnson, Bradshaw, J. Stewart, D. Brown, McCluster, De. Williams
WR: Boldin, S. Johnson, Jackson, S. Smith (NYG), Shipley
TE: Cooley

Warhawks
Starter
Starter

Re: If one really wants Dez Bryant how long can he wait?

Postby Warhawks » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:34 am

First off welcome. Next, how many teams are in your league and what are your starting requirements?

lemmi
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby lemmi » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:42 am

Yeah man - welcome aboard.

Here's a link to the draft going on right now for DLF Invitational V: http://football15.myfantasyleague.com/2 ... 54249&O=17

I just took Dez at 4.01. No way he'd be around at the 5/6 turn. If Mr. Rourke hadn't sniped me on Nicks, he's the only guy I'd have taken there over Dez with what's left at WR.

Winning right now is important but so is building a strong foundation for the next 2-3 years. Dez, imo, is a guy you can do that with. I've put a lot of eggs in the (R) basket this draft with Dez and Mathews but they're two guys I think will have real productive years over the next few season.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:11 am

Honestly, it really depends on who you're drafting with, and which dynasty website(s) your other team managers subscribe to.

If you want Dez, then you should grab him in the 3rd round.

If you REALLY WANT Dez, you should grab him in the 2nd round.

I did 3 startup drafts this year........

In 2 of the 3 startup drafts, he went in the middle of the 2nd round. Both of these drafts are made up of regulars on dynastyrogues.com

In 1 start up draft, made up of regulars from this website, he lasted until 3.10, where I quickly traded up to grab him.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:54 am

A rookie WR should not be drafted inside of the first 2 rounds of a draft when established top 10 talents are still on the board. Late 3rd, early 4th is probably reasonable. He isn't lasting until the 6th rd in any but the smallest of leagues.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:05 pm

skip wrote:A rookie WR should not be drafted inside of the first 2 rounds of a draft when established top 10 talents are still on the board. Late 3rd, early 4th is probably reasonable. He isn't lasting until the 6th rd in any but the smallest of leagues.
There's a difference between "he shouldn't be drafted inside of the 1st 2 rounds" and "he was drafted inside of the 1st 2 rounds".

And that difference is someone out there believing that Dez will be a top 5 to top 10 WR for the long haul, and they'd rather gamble on getting long term production out of him versus grabbing Reggie Wayne, who only has a couple of years left.

I've seen it happen in 2 out of 3 startup drafts that I was in.

My advice would be to plan on taking him in the 3rd, but be prepared to grab him in the late 2nd if you have to. By the early 2nd round, you should be able to tell what direction your draft is going. If guys like Wells, Stewart, Charles, Greene are being taken in the early 2nd round, then you got a RB run which should push Dez to the 3rd. If WRs are going ahead of those runningbacks (guys like Austin, Roddy, Wayne, VJax, DeSean, Sidney Rice), then you got a draft where everyone is rushing to scoop up their anchor WR, and will probably go earlier.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:44 pm

jordanzs wrote:There's a difference between "he shouldn't be drafted inside of the 1st 2 rounds" and "he was drafted inside of the 1st 2 rounds".

And that difference is someone out there believing that Dez will be a top 5 to top 10 WR for the long haul, and they'd rather gamble on getting long term production out of him versus grabbing Reggie Wayne, who only has a couple of years left.
I know there are owners who operate under that belief. But they are thinking too far in the future and sacrificing the next couple of seasons minimally in doing so. Add in the risk factor of any rookie and why draft him there? Just about every WR you mentioned in your thread my be older - but the bulk of them are good options for at least 3-5 years. If you are trying to plan even that far in advance (max should be 3 seasons) you are asking for trouble. By taking Dez in the 2nd rd you are not hoping that he becomes a top 5-10 WR, you are REQUIRING him to do so. Otherwise you are skipping on players who have already established that they are in that group.

In the DLF IV, Dez went at 3.4 and was followed immediately by Crabtree, Colston, Sid Rice, and Jennings. These are not old players. And some have already posted top 10 seasons. By what rationale does Dez get drafted in front of all of them? These players are all top WRs for the long haul.

Its a comfort thing for me and I am not willing to take those kinds of risks. That early in a startup is not the point at which to gamble that much of your future, imo, when there are plenty of young proven options still on the board.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

lemmi
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby lemmi » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:06 pm

skip wrote:I know there are owners who operate under that belief. But they are thinking too far in the future and sacrificing the next couple of seasons minimally in doing so. Add in the risk factor of any rookie and why draft him there? Just about every WR you mentioned in your thread my be older - but the bulk of them are good options for at least 3-5 years. If you are trying to plan even that far in advance (max should be 3 seasons) you are asking for trouble. By taking Dez in the 2nd rd you are not hoping that he becomes a top 5-10 WR, you are REQUIRING him to do so. Otherwise you are skipping on players who have already established that they are in that group.

In the DLF IV, Dez went at 3.4 and was followed immediately by Crabtree, Colston, Sid Rice, and Jennings. These are not old players. And some have already posted top 10 seasons. By what rationale does Dez get drafted in front of all of them? These players are all top WRs for the long haul.

Its a comfort thing for me and I am not willing to take those kinds of risks. That early in a startup is not the point at which to gamble that much of your future, imo, when there are plenty of young proven options still on the board.
These guys were all gone when I took Dez in the DLF V at 4.01. I would've taken any of them over him without a doubt (including Nicks).

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:33 pm

If I had a top 4 pick in a draft, and I wanted Dez, I'd go:

1st round: CJ, AP, Rice, or MJD
late 2nd round: an anchor WR (Roddy, Jennings, Sidney)
early 3rd round: Dez

And later on in the draft, get a Ward, Driver, Mason, or Chambers to fill in for Dez until he's ready to produce.

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:56 pm

I was taregting Nicks at 3.11 in the hopes that Dez made it back to me at 4.02. I killed Lemni's Nicks hopes and he killed my Dez hopes, but that's the way it goes. Nicks and Dez were the only two WR's left of interest at that spot to me.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:06 pm

In the All Star Dynasty League Startup Draft:

I had the 2.10 pick, but traded up to 2.6 to grab Austin. I also could've grabbed Roddy, but I valued Austin 1 slot higher.

At 3.3, I had a choice between Crabtree, Jennings, VJax, Dez, Nicks, etc etc. Sidney Rice went 3.2, and I had him on the radar also. I ended up choosing Crabtree.

Jennings & VJax went shortly after my pick.

The owner at 3.10 wanted to trade back, and Dez & Nicks were still on the board. I traded up & grabbed Dez. Nicks went a couple of picks later.

All & All, I was very happy to have Austin, Crabtree, & Dez all land on my team.

I've seen drafts though were all of those receivers (with the exception of Nicks) went in the 2nd round.

lemmi
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby lemmi » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:35 pm

jordanzs wrote:I had the 2.10 pick, but traded up to 2.6 to grab Austin. I also could've grabbed Roddy, but I valued Austin 1 slot higher.
That's those DR rankings in full effect :lol: :lol:

I actually favor Roddy in that spot and took him over Austin at 2.01. 3 straight seasons of 80+ catches, just entering what should be the prime of his career and a QB with 2 full seasons starting NFL ball under his belt and I'm thinking big things are in store for him over the next 2-4 years.

There's no denying Austin's talent but I'd like to see another year before taking him ahead of Roddy.

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:22 am

Early 3rd seems reasonable... he will not be available later than somwhere in the 5th for sure!(depending on league size and starting requirements)
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11

Who Dey~Cincy
Starter
Starter

Postby Who Dey~Cincy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:12 am

It really does depend who you are drafting with, last year I was in a startup draft and no other league member was on DLF, I grabbed Moreno mid 3rd and got shelled for it, while Crabtree (comparable to Bryant) got picked in the 6th Rd.