The Future of DLF

Administrative announcements, suggestions, opinions, complaints, problems, wish list items. Whatever it is about the administration or operation of the site or forum, you can find or post it here.
dlf_kenk
Administrator

The Future of DLF

Postby dlf_kenk » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:17 pm

As you know, the founders here at DLF have worked extremely hard the past few months to provide some constant, valuable content and make significant rebranding and functional upgrades to the site. As always, we’ve done this with the long-term intention of making DLF the best free resource for dynasty specific information out there.

What you may not know is that we have some limitations on what we can do as far as offering some unique tools and utilities, regardless of how bad we want them. In order to really maximize the site, we’d obviously really like to be able to offer those. Unfortunately, that could require us to hire (and pay) an outside web designer. So, with that in mind, I’d like to get some feedback on the following questions:

CONTENT

1.) What other type of content would you like to see?

2.) What content do you currently like the most?

TOOLS and UTILITIES

3.) What kinds of tools or utilities would you like to see provided?

SUPPORT

We’ve been trying to find a way to provide some value to our followers here and earn some additional income to use to create some of those tools. We’ve been thinking very seriously about providing a detailed and dynasty specific yearly guide for dynasty owners - something that would be done very professionally. It would be a downloadable PDF with at least 100 pages of dynasty-related information, multiple rankings and strategy. We’d do that WITHOUT taking away value from the site as well. With that in mind…

4.) What would you want to see in a guide like that?

5.) What would you be willing to pay for a guide like that to support the production of those new tools?

Sorry, for the survey-like nature of this, but any feedback on these issues is going to allow us to create an even better experience for the DLF users here.

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: The Future of DLF

Postby Phish Brigade » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:54 pm

I've waited long enough for someone to be the first to reply to this thread. You should all be ashamed. They asked for input and feedback. You seriously ran out of opinions? :angel:

1- Since it's a dynasty league site, I'd like to see more college content. The forums are great for current year advice, but we all have to look forward to gain an advantage. Even if it is a crap shoot.

2- In general, I just like the updates on the front page. Keep 'em comin'. Busts, sleepers, capsules... it's all good.

3- This is tough. Mainly because I don't typically create my own rankings. I've got my own tiers in my head.
Something about ADP, trade value, roster analysis and customizable cheatsheets would be good though.

4- Rankings, cheatsheets, stats, IDP stats, sleepers, busts, trends and college previews/rankings.. to name a few.

5- Since I don't buy mags very much, I probably wouldn't pay more than a couple of bucks for a PDF. But only if it covered IDP and opinions that aren't afraid to go out on a limb. I form my own evaluations and go with my gut way more than relying on someone else's rankings.
GDF3
QB- Vick, Freeman, Hasselbeck, Yates
RB- Foster, McCoy, M Bush, Ben Tate, R Jennings, Alex Green
WR- Wallace, TBMW, Colston, Boldin, Collie, Amendola, Washington Roberts, Doss
TE- Gates, Cook, Carlson, Heap, Shiancoe
K- Cundiff, Novak
DL- Abraham, J Smith, James Hall, R Quinn, Keiser
LB- Poz, DJ Will, Vilma, Wake, Rivers, Mays, Irving
DB- Polamalu, Berry, Delmas, C Woodson, M Griffin, T Thomas, Byrd

jimmo
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jimmo » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:21 pm

argh, Phish is right on. Thanks for replying... this is one of those things that just keeps getting pushed to the backburner; the main reason I haven't replied is simply because I don't have much to contribute, but here goes anyway....

1.) What other type of content would you like to see?
Until the last couple of months my answer would have been, Any content at all. But since the renewed commitment by the powers-that-be recently, this site is covering all the bases for me: ranking, prospect profiles, team capsules, news. In fact, I had become so used to only checking the forums because the content was so stale that I still often skip right over every other section of the site but the forums. I'm getting better though, and I appreciate that the "Articles" thread is always lit up these days.

2.) What content do you currently like the most?
The forum, if that counts as content but it probably doesn't. I like the idea of your separated rankings and I've enjoyed the team capsules. The puns though, ...wow, there's been a lot of puns :)

3.) What kinds of tools or utilities would you like to see provided?
This is a tough question to answer, because other sites provide the tools and utilities I use. I'm one of the few here I suspect that actually likes to use the trade calculators that FootballGuys/DynastyGuys and KFFL supply. And I like MockDraftCentral's ADP and FantasyFootballCalculators mocks. But at what cost to make DFL a one-stop shop for those kinds of things? All things being equal (i.e. all sites charge or all sites are free), I'd use those same utilities here at DFL if provided. But if the content suffers because of the potential manpower needed to get and keep those utilities up and running, why bother? In other words, it'd be nice to have all the tools I use in one spot but I really wouldn't be willing to pay the price (monetarily or qualitatively) to make it happen.

4.) What would you want to see in a guide like that?
5.) What would you be willing to pay for a guide like that to support the production of those new tools?

These go hand in hand to me. I can't really answer 4 because my answer to 5 would honestly be zero. The only way a guide like that would be necessary, in my opinion, is if the content (both on the site itself and the forums) was restricted. And then comes the catch-22, because if the content on the site and forums were restricted to try to make the guide and associated tools more valuable, I suspect the traffic would slow to the point that there'd be neither the constituency nor the resources necessary to bother going forward with said guide and utilities.

dlf_kenm
Administrator

Postby dlf_kenm » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:54 am

Excellent feedback guys, please keep it coming. We're at a crossroads right now and where we head next will be significantly influenced by what is said here in this thread. Thanks.

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:39 am

I'll echo what was said earlier about College content. Some of us are in College fantasy leagues, and I think we should go a little deeper than just NFL prospects. I'm one of those who just enjoys college football without having to worry about NFL implications.
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:12 pm

I actually think the forum is the most valuable thing this site offers and it makes a guide more or less expendable- Well.. it might be something dynasty noobs would rely on and possibly pay for.. but I definately wouldn´t.The forum gives me everything I want and need!
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11

dlf_kenm
Administrator

Postby dlf_kenm » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:47 pm

Yeah Brady, certainly there are a lot of folks in our forum who not only don't need a dynasty Guide, but who in fact could easily write a Dynasty Guide. We're thinking that would have more of an appear to those who are either newer to dynasty & keeper formats, or who are just looking for a one-stop resource for some reassuring advice.

Thanks for the post!