Any players worth keeping these days?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
KMA
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Any players worth keeping these days?

Postby KMA » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:52 pm

Sell high, get good value. Too good of a deal to pass up. Are there any players these days worth keeping? Or is every player on the trade block 365 days a year? Has the game changed so much that there is no such thing as keeping a player for the long term?
Sentenced to Redraft Duty

Wentz / Goff
Jacobs / Mack / Coleman / Mixon
OBJ / Adams / Thielen / Sutton / Gallup / Davis
Ertz / Henry

that one guy
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Any players worth keeping these days?

Postby that one guy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:04 pm

Yes and no to all 3 questions, as each fantasy team and owner will be different...you're big stud has a price, you just haven't been offered it yet

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:13 pm

In league 1 in my sig that just finished it's 5th year - there are 3 players that I started with and still have. Those players are Julio Jones, JJ Watt & Russell Wilson. My other league still only just finished the 2nd year; so hard to say.

That said, I never say that somebody is untouchable and anyone could be had for the "right price".
I'm not always looking to actively shop - but there are a lot of players that I buy low on because I predict a good situation but then I will sell high because I don't believe in the talent.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:26 pm

that one guy wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:04 pm Yes and no to all 3 questions, as each fantasy team and owner will be different...you're big stud has a price, you just haven't been offered it yet
This
I'd rather have OBJ than any other player for the long-haul. He's definitely worth keeping. Yet if someone offered me Julio and the number one pick, he's worth selling snap accept

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:52 pm

In year 4, my lone holdover from 2014 is Odell (46-man rosters). I sold off Julio, Watt, Gronk, and Fitzgerald last offseason. I probably netted some gain, in that Watt and Gronk went on IR.

The key variable in my leagues is TIME. Like a stock option nearing maturation, my leagues have player contracts. If you haven't played in a contract league, you should give it a try. It adds a whole other layer of strategy that makes every owner value players very differently.

If you've been playing in a 4-position league with a bunch of owners in lockstep with ADP, you probably get what I'm saying. If you're feeling really adventurous, add seven IDP spots (or more).
Last edited by bruiser on Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:52 pm

Valhalla wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:26 pmThis
I'd rather have OBJ than any other player for the long-haul. He's definitely worth keeping. Yet if someone offered me Julio and the number one pick, he's worth selling snap accept
I agree with this.

If players prove themselves as undeniable studs at any point, then I don't shop them ever. I don't care if they're in a "buy low" stage after a down season (Hopkins). I keep them. If somebody offers me a deal that suits their talent, then I'll consider it. Otherwise, I'll buy reality and seill hope to others.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:55 pm

If you are asking if there is an "untradable" player, no. Never has been. If you have ever played that way, you were doing it wrong.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

bigchiefbc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby bigchiefbc » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:28 am

No player is untradeable, but it doesn't mean that I'm always shopping everyone. In my main league (deep devy superflex with a cap and escalating salaries), I was content to hold for a couple years while contending and made the Super Bowl both years. This past year started really slowly for me, and that added to a couple injuries made me open to a rebuild. I originally was just looking at trading away one of AJG or Julio, but someone came at me with a package for the whole lot (Julio/AJG/RWilson) and I just couldn't say no, the value was too great (especially with my salaries heading towards the ceiling).

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:13 am

Sometimes you put a guy like Le'Veon on the block just to stimulate some trade discussion during a dead period but I've never received any offer I've considered fair for him. Usually 3 guys and a low draft pick and a paragraph detailing how it's such a great deal for me to get a WR3, RB4 and his handcuff and a pick in the teens is everything my team needs to compete.

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:42 am

I like this post. I get a kick out of seeing "You can have Player X for 10 years". That's cool and all but let's be realistic, you probably rarely keep a player for more than 3 years.

dlf_jules
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby dlf_jules » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:09 am

Any forum handle worth keeping these days, or is every handle on the chopping block 365 days a year? ;)
Download the 2019 Cohort Report for free today!

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:18 am

I'd change my handle or team name in any of my leagues if someone gave me a 1st round pick ;)

On a more serious note - I pretty much agree with the consensus above - never say never. There are players I deem untradeable because their value to me outweighs the price they would likely draw, but if the right offer came for any of my players I am going to most likely accept that offer. If you own Julio Jones and someone came along with say AJ Green and the 1.03 then you are most likely doing yourself a disservice to not accept it. It doesnt mean you have to shop your favorite players or your studs - just have to consider the possibilities that would allow you to move them ...
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:22 am

dlf_jules wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:09 am Any forum handle worth keeping these days, or is every handle on the chopping block 365 days a year? ;)
Jules is fantastic.

KMA
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby KMA » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:00 am

That was a good one Jules!
Sentenced to Redraft Duty

Wentz / Goff
Jacobs / Mack / Coleman / Mixon
OBJ / Adams / Thielen / Sutton / Gallup / Davis
Ertz / Henry