Value Plays: Jordan Howard vs late 2017 1st rookies

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Icewiz
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Value Plays: Jordan Howard vs late 2017 1st rookies

Postby Icewiz » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:28 am

This time let's talk about a player in context with players in the next draft (2017) that they might cost in a trade.

Looking at the latest Reddit mock draft and assuming that Howard is going for a "2017 late 1st to early 2nd", who are the players that might be available if you made that trade:

Christian McCaffrey
Royce Freeman
Samaje Perine
Wayne Gallman
John Ross
Malichi Dupre
James Washington, Jr.
Deshaun Watson

Which of these players would you rather have than Howard and why?

If you're higher on him than all of these players, which of the top 7 (Fournette, Cook, Smith-Schuster, Williams, Chubb, Davis, Sutton) do you like better than him?

Westy22
Captain
Captain

Re: Value Plays: Jordan Howard vs late 2017 1st rookies

Postby Westy22 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:54 am

These sorts of things are reliant on situation. One of these guys could go to a dream offense, or to a terrible offense.

I would agree that in a vacuum even without landing spot I would prefer one of those top 7 players to Howard, but given his success so far I think that would be about it. I think McCaffrey is talented, but will be very scheme dependent. Type of guy a Bellichick could turn into a star, but Jeff Fisher would turn into nothing.

The other value consideration is production this season vs the value insulation of a draft pick. I think Howard would be a great pickup for a contending team needing a RB. His schedule does not look scary and his floor will still be 5-10 touches + goalline. We just saw his ceiling, which is 200 yards and a TD or two.

If rebuilding though I would prefer the pick as you don't need (or want) that production. Add in the value insulation in that your draft pick cannot be injured and give me the pick.

Icewiz
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Icewiz » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:08 am

Re: agree on perfect situation. But if so, they'd probably go higher. This list (late first early second) will change, but the relative valuations shouldn't.

Good point on win now vs rebuild and insulation. But talent is talent ... and that's part of the question. Good thought on his floor, I agree.

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:01 am

I would take the top 4 over him for sure. They all have superior resumes to Howard. I'd probably take James Washington as well. Watson in a Superflex league easily, in standard 1 QB leagues I'd probably stick tight with Howard. Assuming the Bears don't invest in another RB. If they took a RB in the top 3-4 rounds....ugh. Hopefully he's playing with Watson next year.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:10 am

McCaffrey late 1st/early 2nd?

...interesting.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:15 am

I would take any of the players in the late 1st early 2nd over Howard right now but he was very impressive against the Vikes last week
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams