Charlie Whitehurst?

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:31 pm

He'll definitely see some playing time in pre-season, it will be interesting to see how he does. On the surface, it looks like a great trade for both teams.
GDF3
QB- Vick, Freeman, Hasselbeck, Yates
RB- Foster, McCoy, M Bush, Ben Tate, R Jennings, Alex Green
WR- Wallace, TBMW, Colston, Boldin, Collie, Amendola, Washington Roberts, Doss
TE- Gates, Cook, Carlson, Heap, Shiancoe
K- Cundiff, Novak
DL- Abraham, J Smith, James Hall, R Quinn, Keiser
LB- Poz, DJ Will, Vilma, Wake, Rivers, Mays, Irving
DB- Polamalu, Berry, Delmas, C Woodson, M Griffin, T Thomas, Byrd

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:47 pm

Misfit74 wrote: Seahawks acquire QB Whitehurst from Chargers
Seahawks acquired QB Charlie Whitehurst from the Chargers in exchange for a swap of 2010 swap of second-round picks and a third-round pick in 2011.
Mar. 17 - 6:00 pm et
Source: ESPN.com
Very risky play by the Seahawks. They gave up a ton here as if the 3rd wasn't more than enough by itself...
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Pilate » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:16 pm

skip wrote:
Seahawks acquired QB Charlie Whitehurst from the Chargers in exchange for a swap of 2010 swap of second-round picks and a third-round pick in 2011.
Very risky play by the Seahawks. They gave up a ton here as if the 3rd wasn't more than enough by itself...
Ridiculous.... :evil:

----------------
Now playing: Switchfoot - Needle and Haystack Life

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:44 pm

Seahawks signed QB Charlie Whitehurst to a two-year, $10 million contract.

The shortness of the deal, plus the compensation it took to get Whitehurst, indicates that he has a chance to play right away. Seattle will want to see what it paid so much for sooner than later. Matt Hasselbeck, in a contract year going on age 35, could be pulled early in the season if he isn't exceptional out of the gate. Whitehurst is worth keeping close tabs on in dynasty leagues.
Rotoworld

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:14 am

Pilate wrote:
skip wrote:
Ridiculous.... :evil:

----------------
Now playing: Switchfoot - Needle and Haystack Life
they really didn't give up alot if they pick up RFA with a 2nd rd tender. It'll make they swap with the chargers irrelavant. A 2nd rd pick is a 2nd rd pick as far as tenders go. There are multiple players with 2nd rd tenders that can help the seahawks.

It'll look like a good move if the hawks go that route. Then it's whitehurst for a 3rd essentially.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:05 pm

I have gone back over this and am going to retract a my initial thinking on this... I still think it may have been a steeper price than they could have given but...

It seems highly likely that both Bradford and Clausen will be gone by 1.4, leaving the Seahawks either having to give up a lot to move up. Rather than make that move, they gave a lower pick on a similar type of gamble.

My board has Okung there for them at 6 (Bradford, McCoy, Suh, Clausen, and Berry all gone), giving them a much needed OT. At 14, I am expecting Spiller to be there and for them to take him. I know a few mocks have the 49ers taking him, but that pick makes very little sense. Spiller immediately walks in as the starter on day one (as does Whitehurst) and the team gets a huge facelift on offense. Its a win-win-win all around for them.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:35 pm

skip wrote:I have gone back over this and am going to retract a my initial thinking on this... I still think it may have been a steeper price than they could have given but...

It seems highly likely that both Bradford and Clausen will be gone by 1.4, leaving the Seahawks either having to give up a lot to move up. Rather than make that move, they gave a lower pick on a similar type of gamble.

My board has Okung there for them at 6 (Bradford, McCoy, Suh, Clausen, and Berry all gone), giving them a much needed OT. At 14, I am expecting Spiller to be there and for them to take him. I know a few mocks have the 49ers taking him, but that pick makes very little sense. Spiller immediately walks in as the starter on day one (as does Whitehurst) and the team gets a huge facelift on offense. Its a win-win-win all around for them.
This is very similar to what I was thinking....x2

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:56 pm

skip wrote:I have gone back over this and am going to retract a my initial thinking on this... I still think it may have been a steeper price than they could have given but...

I agree. I think they know neither Clausen or Bradford will be available at 6, or they plan to draft Clausen still if he's available after slipping past the Redskins or another team that tries to trade up.

Whitehurst has almost no experience, though he has a good release and very nice arm - is very mobile. We'll see if his time riding the pine learning the very good SD passing-offense run by an elite QB in Rivers helped him develop enough w/out regular season action. Furthermore, the team won't be strapped with the zillion-dollar contract that Clausen would come with. I honestly see Seattle going DE (JPP or Morgan) with the #6 now, but I could be wrong. OT or Berry would be other considerations. If a DT is left of McCoy/Suh by some miracle, that would be no-brainer and probably supersede drafting Clausen anyway even if he was still available. I think it was a mildly pricey risk and the team could have made a better deal, but Whitehurst has all the tools and time learning a pro offense for 4 years. We in no way could go into the season counting on Hasselbeck. Kolb was either unavailable or too expensive. We preserved our two first rounders and possibly solved the QB situation. Similar to when Seattle brought in Hasselbeck though we actually paid less. I can tell you with certainty that the options out there were not good solutions. DA, Quinn, Kellen Clemens, etc. have proven to suck. At least Whitehurst hasn't proven that.

I also think it's possible, given Whitehurst's contract (2mil/w incentives up to 2-years and 10mil max) allows the team to see what they've got this year when Matt loses the job or goes down as usual to injury. The team might like a few of the QBs due to come out next year (certainly Locker!). They also said they wouldn't rule out drafting another QB this year. They also may have a rookie salary cap to work with next year, too.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thewhyterabbit » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:47 pm

Misfit74 wrote:

I agree. I think they know neither Clausen or Bradford will be available at 6, or they plan to draft Clausen still if he's available after slipping past the Redskins or another team that tries to trade up.

Whitehurst has almost no experience, though he has a good release and very nice arm - is very mobile. We'll see if his time riding the pine learning the very good SD passing-offense run by an elite QB in Rivers helped him develop enough w/out regular season action. Furthermore, the team won't be strapped with the zillion-dollar contract that Clausen would come with. I honestly see Seattle going DE (JPP or Morgan) with the #6 now, but I could be wrong. OT or Berry would be other considerations. If a DT is left of McCoy/Suh by some miracle, that would be no-brainer and probably supersede drafting Clausen anyway even if he was still available. I think it was a mildly pricey risk and the team could have made a better deal, but Whitehurst has all the tools and time learning a pro offense for 4 years. We in no way could go into the season counting on Hasselbeck. Kolb was either unavailable or too expensive. We preserved our two first rounders and possibly solved the QB situation. Similar to when Seattle brought in Hasselbeck though we actually paid less. I can tell you with certainty that the options out there were not good solutions. DA, Quinn, Kellen Clemens, etc. have proven to suck. At least Whitehurst hasn't proven that.

I also think it's possible, given Whitehurst's contract (2mil/w incentives up to 2-years and 10mil max) allows the team to see what they've got this year when Matt loses the job or goes down as usual to injury. The team might like a few of the QBs due to come out next year (certainly Locker!). They also said they wouldn't rule out drafting another QB this year. They also may have a rookie salary cap to work with next year, too.
teams draft RBs all the time that dont really have a need for them... i think the falcons will draft one, the browns, the seahawks... wouldnt it be something if the lions take eric berry though...

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Misfit74 wrote:
Whitehurst has almost no experience, though he has a good release and very nice arm - is very mobile. We'll see if his time riding the pine learning the very good SD passing-offense run by an elite QB in Rivers helped him develop enough w/out regular season action. .
hm, sounds like the situation with the guy he's replacing, as Hasselbeck was backing up Favre for a few years before making the move to Seattle...

-oo-