Greg Olsen

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Greg Olsen

Postby Steelersfan » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:40 pm

According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Greg Bedard, the loudest Combine chatter of late has been that Bears TE Greg Olsen is on the block.

One rumor making the rounds had Olsen going to the Pats for one of the team's three second-round picks. Olsen's skills are a poor fit for Mike Martz's offense and the Bears don't have an early-round pick this year, so the chatter makes sense on the surface. The Bears could then pursue Brandon Manumaleuna as a blocking tight end.
Rotoworld

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Re: Greg Olsen

Postby Misfit74 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:54 pm

Steelersfan wrote:According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Greg Bedard, the loudest Combine chatter of late has been that Bears TE Greg Olsen is on the block.

One rumor making the rounds had Olsen going to the Pats for one of the team's three second-round picks. Olsen's skills are a poor fit for Mike Martz's offense and the Bears don't have an early-round pick this year, so the chatter makes sense on the surface. The Bears could then pursue Brandon Manumaleuna as a blocking tight end.
Rotoworld
Olsen would be a great added target for the Pats offense and a steal for a mid to low 2nd round pick. His value would go up, though not as much as people might think.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

yumbo
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby yumbo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:57 pm

That would definitely upgrade Olsen's value next season, but only so much. The Pats and Brady love their te's, but like everyone else on that team outside of Moss and Brady, there fantasy value doesn't translate week to week. it's more like every other week or every third week, with the way the Pats distribute the ball!

However, that said.... I would love for the Pats to trade for Olsen!!! :shock: :D

You may have been born and bred in old Kentucky, but you're just a crumb up here! TM 3 Stooges

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:58 pm

Misfit74 wrote:
Steelersfan wrote:According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Greg Bedard, the loudest Combine chatter of late has been that Bears TE Greg Olsen is on the block.

Rotoworld
Olsen would be a great added target for the Pats offense and a steal for a mid to low 2nd round pick. His value would go up, though not as much as people might think.
I always thought of Olsen as "Shockey Jr." and I think he would be a really nice fit on most teams, especially a contender like the Pats. This would be another stupid move by the Bears if they traded him, they don't have too many good receiving targets here.
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:19 pm

Shawn wrote:
Misfit74 wrote:

Rotoworld
I always thought of Olsen as "Shockey Jr." and I think he would be a really nice fit on most teams, especially a contender like the Pats. This would be another stupid move by the Bears if they traded him, they don't have too many good receiving targets here.
I assumed that was meant to be a bust, not a compliment? Shockey has to be in the running for the most overrated tight end in football history.

But Olsen is a talented receiver and I think whoever got him would make out.

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:53 pm

Orca wrote:
Shawn wrote:
Misfit74 wrote: Olsen would be a great added target for the Pats offense and a steal for a mid to low 2nd round pick. His value would go up, though not as much as people might think.
I assumed that was meant to be a bust, not a compliment? Shockey has to be in the running for the most overrated tight end in football history.

But Olsen is a talented receiver and I think whoever got him would make out.
Actually meant more as a compliment, while I agree that Shockey is overrated, he's put up quality numbers for a receiving TE for the most part during his career, top 5 to top 10 most years as far as receiving numbers go. A lot of the comparison also had to do with the 2 of them both coming out of Miami, which has been a great college for finding NFL Tight Ends in general, if Olsen has a career with similar numbers to Shockey, he'll be a really nice TE to have for any team.
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

bigcsr67
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bigcsr67 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:06 pm

If the Bears indeed ship Olsen, a player of intrest could be Kellen Davis. He is as athletic as most any TE in the League, and he has been biding his time paitently. I know Martz doesn't use TE's, but he could be a solid player if given the opportunity.

blacksheep
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby blacksheep » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:30 pm

Rotoworld
Great move for Olson owners and the Pats in general.

Salty Dawg
Starter
Starter

Postby Salty Dawg » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:55 pm

As a Olsen owner..ship him out Bears. I think it would have to be a better situation (fantasy and reality).

-THE DUDE-
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby -THE DUDE- » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:59 am

So the Bears may want to move Olsen because he doesn't fit Martz's system...yet Lovie will be fired after this year and Martz won't be retained and a new system brought in...and some people wonder why the Bears are so awful :lol:
QB: A. Rodgers, Herbert, Purdy, Levis
RB: ETN, Bijan, Gibbs, Mostert, Dobbins, R. White
WR: AJB, Diggs, ARSB, G. Wilson, Kirk, E. Moore, Mingo, Wicks
TE: Fant, Njoku, Chiggy, I. Smith, Musgrave

grimace
All Pro
All Pro

Postby grimace » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:49 am

Unfortunately, Lovie and Angelo are the ones that make these decisions, and there doing what ever they can to keep their jobs. I'm guessing the way they see it, Martz works, they keep their jobs and don't need a TE, it doesn't work their all fired and couldn't give a rats bleep about the Bears after that.

I wonder if they would take player in the second if the trade happens, or package that pick for say Brandon Marshall since he's linked in rumors to the Bears as of late.

Remember the Bears Regime is currently in a win now phase, because their jobs are on the lines.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:44 am

Indygator wrote:So the Bears may want to move Olsen because he doesn't fit Martz's system...yet Lovie will be fired after this year and Martz won't be retained and a new system brought in...and some people wonder why the Bears are so awful :lol:
LOL. I feel the same way.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:44 pm

Report: Greg Olsen not on the trading block

Olsen
The Chicago Sun Times disputes multiple reports that Greg Olsen is on the trading block.
Initial reports, via NBC Chicago and the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, linked Olsen to the Patriots and Cardinals. The fits are odd on paper, though, because neither of those teams uses tight ends often in the passing game, and Olsen isn't a blocker. It's likely that Olsen's agent -- Drew Rosenhaus -- spread the rumors in an attempt to get his client out of Chicago. Olsen's numbers are likely set to plummet in new OC Mike Martz's scheme. Mar. 3 - 5:34 pm et
Source: Chicago Sun Times
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:06 am

Greg Olsen could be had for a second round draft pick, according to Omar Kelly of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Our View: There have been conflicting reports on Olsen's availability, but this is one of the more specific ones. While it would not seem to make sense for Chicago to move one of its best players, they almost surely will for the right place, especially considering their lack of draft picks this season.
Fanball

Maybe there is some truth to this with the Bears signing of Manumaleuna?

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:54 am

Steelersfan wrote:Greg Olsen could be had for a second round draft pick, according to Omar Kelly of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Our View: There have been conflicting reports on Olsen's availability, but this is one of the more specific ones. While it would not seem to make sense for Chicago to move one of its best players, they almost surely will for the right place, especially considering their lack of draft picks this season.
Fanball

Maybe there is some truth to this with the Bears signing of Manumaleuna?
Yes!

=>
Bears sign TE Manumaleuna to five-year deal

Bears agreed to terms with TE Brandon Manumaleuna on a five-year contract.
New offensive coordinator Mike Martz gets his man, and it spells bad news for incumbent blocker Desmond Clark. Manumaleuna, 6'2/295, is one of the best blocking tight ends in the league, which is an integral characteristic for a tight end in Mike Martz's offense. While the Chicago Tribune speculates that Greg Olsen will maintain a large role, it's not going to happen in the receiving game. Look for Manumaleuna to be the Bears' new starter. Mar. 5 - 7:24 am et
Source: Chicago Tribune
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11