Brian Westbrook to be Released

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
blacksheep
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby blacksheep » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:25 pm

Steelersfan wrote:The player rep for Brian Westbrook confirmed that the soon-to-be free agent wants to continue playing in 2010.

The agent indicated that teams are already calling to inquire about Westbrook, likely to see how he's progressing with his concussion issues as well as his troublesome left knee. In terms of filling a need, familiarity with the offense, and ability to contend, the Vikings are easily the best fit.
Rotoworld
Huuuuge acquisition. I gotta think that they would be heavy favorites next season if that happened and Favre returned.

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:47 pm

highballers wrote:
Steelersfan wrote:The player rep for Brian Westbrook confirmed that the soon-to-be free agent wants to continue playing in 2010.

The agent indicated that teams are already calling to inquire about Westbrook, likely to see how he's progressing with his concussion issues as well as his troublesome left knee. In terms of filling a need, familiarity with the offense, and ability to contend, the Vikings are easily the best fit.
Rotoworld
Huuuuge acquisition. I gotta think that they would be heavy favorites next season if that happened and Favre returned.
any effect on APs value in 2010?

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:12 pm

hot nikkels wrote:
highballers wrote:

Rotoworld
Not at all...

blacksheep
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby blacksheep » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:38 pm

Steelersfan wrote:
hot nikkels wrote:
highballers wrote: Huuuuge acquisition. I gotta think that they would be heavy favorites next season if that happened and Favre returned.
Not at all...
Fantasy-wise, I think so, too.

bobbytheo3
Starter
Starter

Postby bobbytheo3 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:16 am

Guys, Westbrook is DONE. DONE DONE DONE. I've been an Eagles fan my whole life and I love the guy, but he's done. He has nothing left to give to a football team. Him going to Minnesota does not help them whatsoever.

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:37 am

bobbytheo3 wrote:Guys, Westbrook is DONE. DONE DONE DONE. I've been an Eagles fan my whole life and I love the guy, but he's done. He has nothing left to give to a football team. Him going to Minnesota does not help them whatsoever.
I have to disagree. I think Westbrook in Minnesota would be great for him. He's probably not worth much in fantasy terms in minny, but he could really help that team on 3rd downs and spelling AP. 10-12 touches for him could keep him fresh.

bobbytheo3
Starter
Starter

Postby bobbytheo3 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:31 am

Its not a matter of keeping him fresh or injury free. He simply has no burst or shiftiness anymore. And since he never had good speed or power, that makes him worthless.

The 2 things he still does have is his hands and blocking ability. But hes so slow at this point that I don't think you even want to use him on screens and stuff anymore.

blacksheep
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby blacksheep » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:44 am

bobbytheo3 wrote:Its not a matter of keeping him fresh or injury free. He simply has no burst or shiftiness anymore. And since he never had good speed or power, that makes him worthless.

The 2 things he still does have is his hands and blocking ability. But hes so slow at this point that I don't think you even want to use him on screens and stuff anymore.
hmmm. well that's why i was thinking he'd be a good complement to peterson.

Birdie048
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Birdie048 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:22 pm

bobbytheo3 wrote:Guys, Westbrook is DONE. DONE DONE DONE. I've been an Eagles fan my whole life and I love the guy, but he's done. He has nothing left to give to a football team. Him going to Minnesota does not help them whatsoever.
It's not just the knee, it the "fear" factor from the multiple concussions. There was talk as he was not the same after the last head trauma and that he mention retirement. The knee is only the surface reports. The head is the real story.

I think he will return for a 1 yr supporting role with limited touches. He can not be RB1 on any team that runs 20x a week (something like Arz avoided in 2008). He will avoid contact, step away from tacklers & go out of bounds or dive under approaching defense to avoid heavy hits and not fight for those extra few yards. Potential short bursts are fine, but nothing hard earned any more from him.

I believe he should retire. He had a great career. It's time to walk away from it and not drag it out and lose the respect he earned over the last decade.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:59 pm

According to Jeff McLane on Twitter, the Ravens are interested in impending free agent running back Brian Westbrook.

Our View: Frankly, the Ravens are interested in anyone with a little offensive potential right now, so we wouldn't get too excited about this. With Ray Rice a solid pass-catching back, it seems frivolous to add Westbrook at all, as he would simply have no role to fill.
Fanball

BubbaBurst
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby BubbaBurst » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:06 am

Steelersfan wrote:According to Jeff McLane on Twitter, the Ravens are interested in impending free agent running back Brian Westbrook.

Our View: Frankly, the Ravens are interested in anyone with a little offensive potential right now, so we wouldn't get too excited about this. With Ray Rice a solid pass-catching back, it seems frivolous to add Westbrook at all, as he would simply have no role to fill.
Fanball
How bout the Ravens sign him and make him the slot receiver? Actually why doesn't anybody think about that. He may not have much value as a runner left, but he could be a great slot wide out to make some mismatches.
DLF I Romo, Mathews, DMC, Murray, AJohnson, Welker, Wayne, Nelson, Finley
DLF II Peyton, McCoy, Ballard, DJackson, VJackson, DMoore, Welker, Gronk
DLF R Cam, AP, Foster, RWilliams, Nicks, SSmith, Floyd, Hill, Gresham, Keller
DLF U Eli, DMC, CJ2k, Sproles, Ballard, AJ Green, VJackson, Graham, Gresham

bigcsr67
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bigcsr67 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:20 am

I have to agree with bobby here. His brain is toast, and playing RB involves a ton of contact to the dome. He had a very good career, but he is done fellas.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:42 pm

Beat writer Les Bowen cites a source with "solid knowledge" of Brian Westbrook's knee as saying the free agent will have to play and practice on a grass field.

This is just one of many reports that state Westbrook's knee is just as much of a concern as his concussion history. If true, we can rule out the Vikings as a possible landing spot for the veteran.
Rotoworld

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:58 pm

Steelersfan wrote:Beat writer Les Bowen cites a source with "solid knowledge" of Brian Westbrook's knee as saying the free agent will have to play and practice on a grass field.

This is just one of many reports that state Westbrook's knee is just as much of a concern as his concussion history. If true, we can rule out the Vikings as a possible landing spot for the veteran.
Rotoworld
I don't know about you guys, but I'm staying away from 'The Human Injury Report'. :P
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:12 pm

I think we've all learned the hard way that stud RBs often go QUICKLY once they reach a certain age or amount of carries much like an old used car, and I think this is the case with Westbrook, I'm not expecting much.
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince