Mock Draft 2.0 Sign-up and Discussion

This is the forum for public mock drafts. To avoid any confusion, please do not post in individual draft forums of which you are not a member.
Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:02 pm

I was looking at this mock draft and was curious about the 3rd pick being Pierre Paul from USF. The guy only played one year in major college football and recorded 6.5 sacks. He played for 2 juco schools before landing at USF. I could see a late first rd pick on a raw guy that a GOOD team doesn't have to plug in right away. The pressure of being the 3 overall pick on a guy like that sounds like a receipt for disaster.

Plus with the contracts being so top heavy early in the draft, there's no way a team will pay him the guaranteed money that will be slotted at 3 IMO. Purely from a business perspective that seems WAY too risky on a player that high.

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:21 pm

My pick at 45 is kinda lookin like the money right about now with Casey Wiegmann getting released today!!! I'm not sayin....I'm just sayin!!! 8-)

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:43 pm

hot nikkels wrote:I was looking at this mock draft and was curious about the 3rd pick being Pierre Paul from USF. The guy only played one year in major college football and recorded 6.5 sacks. He played for 2 juco schools before landing at USF. I could see a late first rd pick on a raw guy that a GOOD team doesn't have to plug in right away. The pressure of being the 3 overall pick on a guy like that sounds like a receipt for disaster.

Plus with the contracts being so top heavy early in the draft, there's no way a team will pay him the guaranteed money that will be slotted at 3 IMO. Purely from a business perspective that seems WAY too risky on a player that high.
Upside and the combine will make him a top 10 pick definitely.

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:05 pm

Might have been a knee jerk reaction to the news of Westbrook being released, but I thought that Hardesty would be a good compliment to the shifty Shady McCoy. Is it fair to say that the Eagles will keep an open mind to adding another RB in the draft? Or is it more likely that they add someone via free agency? Hey! I've got an idea... the Eagles should sign LT and the Chargers should sign Westbrook. Then both of them could play for a Superbowl contender! Oh ya... they were just cut by Superbowl contenders. Nevermind. :lol:
GDF3
QB- Vick, Freeman, Hasselbeck, Yates
RB- Foster, McCoy, M Bush, Ben Tate, R Jennings, Alex Green
WR- Wallace, TBMW, Colston, Boldin, Collie, Amendola, Washington Roberts, Doss
TE- Gates, Cook, Carlson, Heap, Shiancoe
K- Cundiff, Novak
DL- Abraham, J Smith, James Hall, R Quinn, Keiser
LB- Poz, DJ Will, Vilma, Wake, Rivers, Mays, Irving
DB- Polamalu, Berry, Delmas, C Woodson, M Griffin, T Thomas, Byrd

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:27 pm

The Browns were looking at Hardesty here in round 3 until he was taken the pick before :lol: , but its OK since a QB was definitely needed here as the franchise is moving on from Quinn. The Browns also looked hard at Tony Pike at QB, but felt he reminded them too much of...................... Derek Anderson :lol: so Lefevour won out here in the end, which works for me.
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:53 pm

Shawn wrote:The Browns were looking at Hardesty here in round 3 until he was taken the pick before :lol: , but its OK since a QB was definitely needed here as the franchise is moving on from Quinn.
Not sure I agree that the Browns are going to move on from Quinn - at least not in the draft.

"Though he's not yet ready to make a decision on his quarterback situation, Browns president Mike Holmgren suggested that Brady Quinn deserves a full season of starts before he can be fairly evaluated.
Holmgren believes a quarterback needs 32 games to be accurately defined. "I think Brady’s played about nine games in three years (actually 12)," said Holmgren. "So if I'm sticking to my beliefs, which I really do believe in, that's the formula." Holmgren added, however, that he needs to study his options more before deciding on a direction for the team's quarterback." -- rotoworld

I think a major problem in Cleveland has been the unwillingness of either Crennel or Mangini to put Quinn at the plate and let him take his swings. They both have run a very poor offensive scheme and challenge no one vertically. We have no idea how effective a passer Quinn can be because he has never been given the opportunity to be one. Instead they run the offense like they are scared to death of throwing a pass more than 10 yards. On top of that, the running game has been run just as poorly.

Vince and I were just discussing a couple nights ago how the Browns have no identity. They are neither defensive nor offensive minded. They aren't a running or a passing team. They do nothing well and are still a couple of years away from being an effective club in at least one of these areas. They need to pick a direction and go with it.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:14 pm

skip wrote:
Shawn wrote:The Browns were looking at Hardesty here in round 3 until he was taken the pick before :lol: , but its OK since a QB was definitely needed here as the franchise is moving on from Quinn.
Not sure I agree that the Browns are going to move on from Quinn - at least not in the draft.

"Though he's not yet ready to make a decision on his quarterback situation, Browns president Mike Holmgren suggested that Brady Quinn deserves a full season of starts before he can be fairly evaluated.
Holmgren believes a quarterback needs 32 games to be accurately defined. "I think Brady’s played about nine games in three years (actually 12)," said Holmgren. "So if I'm sticking to my beliefs, which I really do believe in, that's the formula." Holmgren added, however, that he needs to study his options more before deciding on a direction for the team's quarterback." -- rotoworld

I think a major problem in Cleveland has been the unwillingness of either Crennel or Mangini to put Quinn at the plate and let him take his swings. They both have run a very poor offensive scheme and challenge no one vertically. We have no idea how effective a passer Quinn can be because he has never been given the opportunity to be one. Instead they run the offense like they are scared to death of throwing a pass more than 10 yards. On top of that, the running game has been run just as poorly.

Vince and I were just discussing a couple nights ago how the Browns have no identity. They are neither defensive nor offensive minded. They aren't a running or a passing team. They do nothing well and are still a couple of years away from being an effective club in at least one of these areas. They need to pick a direction and go with it.
Another QB was needed anyway as Anderson is going to be released, so Lefevour is brought in at least in this mock, plus Quinn hasn't shown he can stay healthy, and has had accuracy issues. Quinn's main game is the short 10-15 yard passes and has never been known for great arm strength or the deep ball, so when the accuracy is off on the short passes, it creates a real problem. Holmgren has historically liked to draft QBs even in later rounds and develop them as he learned back in Green Bay in drafting Mark Brunell and Matt Hasselbeck and developing them. Also, if Holmgren is quoted as saying positive things about Brady Quinn and saying he could start for the Browns, it can also be used as leverage to try and trade him. Sadly, if the Browns had traded Quinn a year ago or Anderson 2 years ago, the reports were that they could have netted at least a 1st round pick for each one :(
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC

bigcsr67
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bigcsr67 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:29 pm

hosler427 wrote:
hot nikkels wrote:I was looking at this mock draft and was curious about the 3rd pick being Pierre Paul from USF. The guy only played one year in major college football and recorded 6.5 sacks. He played for 2 juco schools before landing at USF. I could see a late first rd pick on a raw guy that a GOOD team doesn't have to plug in right away. The pressure of being the 3 overall pick on a guy like that sounds like a receipt for disaster.

Upside and the combine will make him a top 10 pick definitely.
Sounds like Gaines Adams again if Tampa Drafts him. I doubt they will gamble on a pass rusher this early again. Once bitten, twice shy.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:48 pm

Shawn wrote: Another QB was needed anyway as Anderson is going to be released, so Lefevour is brought in at least in this mock, plus Quinn hasn't shown he can stay healthy, and has had accuracy issues. Quinn's main game is the short 10-15 yard passes and has never been known for great arm strength or the deep ball, so when the accuracy is off on the short passes, it creates a real problem. Holmgren has historically liked to draft QBs even in later rounds and develop them as he learned back in Green Bay in drafting Mark Brunell and Matt Hasselbeck and developing them. Also, if Holmgren is quoted as saying positive things about Brady Quinn and saying he could start for the Browns, it can also be used as leverage to try and trade him. Sadly, if the Browns had traded Quinn a year ago or Anderson 2 years ago, the reports were that they could have netted at least a 1st round pick for each one :(
I agree the time is past when they should have moved one or the other. I am a lot more inclined to think that they will bring in a free agent (or someone via trade) than draft another rookie this season. We'll see. Maybe they'll do both and jettison everyone they have now. That wouldn't be all bad either. I was never a big Quinn fan when he was drafted. I just think if they are going to stick with him on the roster they need to just give him the shot.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:41 pm

Shawn wrote:
skip wrote:

Another QB was needed anyway as Anderson is going to be released, so Lefevour is brought in at least in this mock, plus Quinn hasn't shown he can stay healthy, and has had accuracy issues. Quinn's main game is the short 10-15 yard passes and has never been known for great arm strength or the deep ball, so when the accuracy is off on the short passes, it creates a real problem. Holmgren has historically liked to draft QBs even in later rounds and develop them as he learned back in Green Bay in drafting Mark Brunell and Matt Hasselbeck and developing them. Also, if Holmgren is quoted as saying positive things about Brady Quinn and saying he could start for the Browns, it can also be used as leverage to try and trade him. Sadly, if the Browns had traded Quinn a year ago or Anderson 2 years ago, the reports were that they could have netted at least a 1st round pick for each one :(
Holmgren's WCO (West Coast Offense) will help Quinn and Holmgren is good at developing QBs. His WCO features short passes less midrange throws, and very few deep-balls. Quinn's skill-set if he is able to learn the playbook and nuances of the offense they are installing could progress to be a decent staring QB.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

ccteam
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ccteam » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:17 am

Will Cleveland be installing Holmgren's offense though? I guess I havent looked into his reach and what not, but he's not coach, so I didn't think his offense would be used? Or is that part of Mangini sticking around is agreeing to use Holmgren's offense?
12 team PPR Q, R, R, W, W, W/R, W/T, TE, K - 36 player rosters
E Manning Dalton
Sproles, D Brown Mendenhall, Blount, Hillis, Gerhart, Moreno
Fitz, White, Holmes, Rice TBMW, Royal, Edwards, Bess
Pettigrew H Miller

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:54 am

ccteam wrote:Will Cleveland be installing Holmgren's offense though? I guess I havent looked into his reach and what not, but he's not coach, so I didn't think his offense would be used? Or is that part of Mangini sticking around is agreeing to use Holmgren's offense?

The word is the Browns will be changing to a Holmgren West Coast Offense this offseason, and the old offensive game plan will be scrapped, essentially Mangini and offensive coordinator Brian Daboll are getting this West Coast game plan taught to them as we speak, not much control here for Mangini or Daboll with the Offense almost like they'll become Holmgren's puppets, although for both of them it sure beats the alternative of getting fired which we thought could've happened this offseason. The defensive side could be pretty similar to last season, with Holmgren giving Mangini and D coordinator Rob Ryan much more control here, Holmgren is not a defensive-minded guy like Mangini is, so the defense could essentially be the same as before, but hopefully with more talented players. 8-)

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:57 am

Shawn wrote:
ccteam wrote:Will Cleveland be installing Holmgren's offense though? I guess I havent looked into his reach and what not, but he's not coach, so I didn't think his offense would be used? Or is that part of Mangini sticking around is agreeing to use Holmgren's offense?

The word is the Browns will be changing to a Holmgren West Coast Offense this offseason, and the old offensive game plan will be scrapped, essentially Mangini and offensive coordinator Brian Daboll are getting this West Coast game plan taught to them as we speak, not much control here for Mangini or Daboll with the Offense almost like they'll become Holmgren's puppets, although for both of them it sure beats the alternative of getting fired which we thought could've happened this offseason. The defensive side could be pretty similar to last season, with Holmgren giving Mangini and D coordinator Rob Ryan much more control here, Holmgren is not a defensive-minded guy like Mangini is, so the defense could essentially be the same as before, but hopefully with more talented players. 8-)
Personally, I am hoping they draft defensive players at every pick. I'd rather they make a go of it with Mass, Cribbs, Harrison, Moore and Quinn and perhaps add/replace someone in free agency. Focus this draft entirely on the defense and build that side of the football with young talent.

stevea
All Pro
All Pro

Postby stevea » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:23 pm

They would trade up to one and take Suh if there was a rookie cap. They need DT and DEs before anything else and Pierre Paul's upside is the best in the draft.

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:43 pm

dlf_stevea wrote:

They would trade up to one and take Suh if there was a rookie cap. They need DT and DEs before anything else and Pierre Paul's upside is the best in the draft.
I can't argue his upside because I haven't seen much of him. Would you consider suh or McCoy "safer picks?" 6.5 sacks for one year wonder seems risky to me. If I'm basing a pick on upside I'd prefer my team already be good to help this guy transition easier. He may very well be a beast, but is there consistency in his game tape? I agree TB needs front seven players, but I could see this guy buckling under the pressure of being a top 3 pick.

Maybe he tears it up at the combine and that plus his upside gets him there.