DLF Members Mock Draft Time

This is the forum for public mock drafts. To avoid any confusion, please do not post in individual draft forums of which you are not a member.
stevea
All Pro
All Pro

Postby stevea » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:54 am

The Ratliff comparison is a very fair one and I do think that is why they rank him there. And although I do feel that Gerald McCoy is a beast and is in their top-5 as well, I think they believe Suh, Jackson and Dorsey would be able to hold their own against any type of run while freeing up their backers.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:37 pm

I like the Matthews pick for NE. Those old guys just weren't getting it done and Maroney was given every chance to break out. I'm not sure that he did enough.

I wonder if the Bills are switching to a 3-4 defense. Cody is not a fit in a 4-3, IMO. Same reasoning for passing up both Dan Williams and Cody at the Colt's pick earlier, as the Colt's run a 4-3. Either guy might be too big outside of a 3-4 scheme.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:41 pm

Misfit74 wrote:I like the Matthews pick for NE. Those old guys just weren't getting it done and Maroney was given every chance to break out. I'm not sure that he did enough.

I wonder if the Bills are switching to a 3-4 defense. Cody is not a fit in a 4-3, IMO. Same reasoning for passing up both Dan Williams and Cody at the Colt's pick earlier, as the Colt's run a 4-3. Either guy might be too big outside of a 3-4 scheme.
I think Dan Williams will be fine in a 4-3. There are a lot of rumors that the Bills are changing to a 3-4 but I assume they will have to do this over the next year or two because they definitely don't have the personel for it now.

I like the Matthews pick as well

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:48 pm

dlf_stevea wrote:
skip wrote:
Shawn wrote:Nice picks by the Skins and the Browns, McCoy was definitely good value in round 2, and many thought Weatherspoon would be gone in round 1. By the way, I don't think the Skip Browns were going to draft McCoy with that pick, I think they'd draft a developmental QB later in the draft perhaps.
My expectation is that CB Joe Haden will be there for the Browns in the 1st. If for some reason he is gone, they will move down and take someone later in the 1st. They move move down anyway like they did last season. If so, I think Weatherspoon is the target in the 15-20 range. Him still being here in the 2nd made him too hard to pass up. I don't expect that to happen come this spring.

I think there is virtually zero chance the Browns worry about a QB in this draft. I am expecting them to bring in a veteran and roll with Quinn.
The Chiefs current board is:

Suh
Okung
Berry
Haden

in that order. If the draft plays out like this one has, they will grab Haden there.
Interesting. Then I think the Browns will be moving down. DB is one of their primary needs next to LB and this is turning out to be a pretty deep draft at both positions. I'd expect they could move back and add an additional 2nd rd pick by doing so.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

rkrazy
Starter
Starter

More info on Matthews pick

Postby rkrazy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:02 pm

New England has more needs this year than I care to admit.

DL depth was an issue last season, replacement for RG Stephen Neal, OLB. Also could use help @ ILB. Signing Seau won't cut it again. However with the way this mock has played out all the guys we had projected @ 42 were off the board already. With the depth at other need positions I felt like one or two targeted prospects would still be there at 47. CB was strongly considered here with Shawn Springs talking retirement, Bodden is a UFA and 2008 picks Wilhite and Wheatley not living up to expectations. TE is another concern but I'm not a fan of this TE class. FA or trade can yield a quality TE to replace Watson if the need arises.

I chose Matthews at 42 to keep him from being selected by a division rival. He may have been there @ 47 but NE couldn't risk it. With Miami picking at 43 the concern in our war room was that the Fins would jump on Matthews due to Williams age and Brown's risk of injury. After Matthews the RB talent drops off to 3rd-4th rd prospects. All the other guys are a reach in Rd 2.
Last edited by rkrazy on Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:34 pm

Hey guys...if we do another mock draft right after this do you want to bring it to 3 rounds? I am thinking that we can push it to 4-5 rounds for the final mock....

I am thinking we should do another sign up and change up the teams. I know there is at least one more guy that wants to get in on the fun.

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:43 pm

I'd love to get into the later rounds. It's a great exercise for everyone to get familiar with the future of the NFL.

I don't mind switching teams around either... a different perspective is always good too. I find that a lot of people draft players to fill the biggest needs instead of pure BPA, so mixing it up isn't a bad thing.

Speaking of mixing it up, I suppose I have some explaining to do with the Bills 2nd round pick... I'll be back in a flash. :wink:
GDF3
QB- Vick, Freeman, Hasselbeck, Yates
RB- Foster, McCoy, M Bush, Ben Tate, R Jennings, Alex Green
WR- Wallace, TBMW, Colston, Boldin, Collie, Amendola, Washington Roberts, Doss
TE- Gates, Cook, Carlson, Heap, Shiancoe
K- Cundiff, Novak
DL- Abraham, J Smith, James Hall, R Quinn, Keiser
LB- Poz, DJ Will, Vilma, Wake, Rivers, Mays, Irving
DB- Polamalu, Berry, Delmas, C Woodson, M Griffin, T Thomas, Byrd

rkrazy
Starter
Starter

Postby rkrazy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:57 pm

hosler427 wrote:Hey guys...if we do another mock draft right after this do you want to bring it to 3 rounds? I am thinking that we can push it to 4-5 rounds for the final mock....

I am thinking we should do another sign up and change up the teams. I know there is at least one more guy that wants to get in on the fun.
Yes and yes. With the group of guys in this mock we could easily go 5 rounds deep. I too agree with changing teams around. It offers a differing perspective of needs vs. availability at a pick. Without the change up our mocks would all be similar, until an outside variable (i.e. combine, injury) changes your view of a player.

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:37 pm

Misfit74 wrote:I like the Matthews pick for NE. Those old guys just weren't getting it done and Maroney was given every chance to break out. I'm not sure that he did enough.

I'll just copy and paste my thoughts from the draft thread... but the Terrence Cody pick is based on the assumption (and hunch that I have) that the Bills are going to convert to a 3-4. Enjoy the rant.
This might seem like a strange pick but as of today, I think this is a VERY realistic possibility. I say that because:

1 - I'd say the chances of Buffalo converting to a 3-4 defense are in the 65-75% range

2 - After he tipped the scales at 370 lbs, his draft stock has taken a hit. But the price is right for Buffalo in the 2nd round.

The Bills ran a 4-3 defense last year, I realize that. But since then, they've cleaned house. Buddy Nix comes over from the Chargers and they run a 3-4. That in itself shouldn't mean very much. Then they hired an OLB coach from Georgia Tech to be an assistant on defense before hiring a DC. They still don't have a DC yet, and I understand why. How does it make sense to hire position coaches before hiring a DC? All I know is, the entire AFC East runs a 3-4 and Buffalo has struggled against everyone in their division. They've only won 2 divisional games in the past 2 years! Terrible! They were 0-6 two years ago, they squeaked out a win vs the Jets last year and they beat the Fins after injuries killed their team. It's time to give the Pats, Jets and Dolphins a taste of what it's like.

This is going to get long... it already is. I apologize. But all I keep hearing is that Buffalo would be crazy to convert to a 3-4 because they don't have the personnel to make the switch. My argument is: You gotta start somewhere. If they can whip Terrence Cody into shape, they will have landed a prototypical NT in the second round. This draft is pretty deep for DT/NT players, Suh and McCoy could go 1-2 in the draft. Technically, they could find someone in the 3rd or 4th round. But if Cody is on the board and if I'm right that a switch to the 3-4 is happening... Cody will be our pick.

To the people who don't think that Buffalo can make this switch easily, I'll disagree. The secondary is in place. And that isn't the reason why a switch doesn't make sense. Here is what I ( and other Bills fans ) envision the front seven could look like after the draft.

DE - Kyle Williams - He had a great year last year. I've seen a few respected bloggers refer to him as one of the 10 best draft picks that the Bills have made in the past decade.
NT - Terrence Cody - Big man to plug up the middle. You don't have to have a big guy at NT to run it, Jay Ratliff does a great job with gap responsibilities that fit his abilities. But if you have a big man, it doesn't hurt.
DE - Marcus Stroud - He's getting up there in age, but he could fill this roll for a year.
OLB - Aaron Schobel - That assumes he comes back. Hard to say, but I'm penciling him in if all this comes to pass.
ILB - Kawika Mitchell - Everything I've seen indicates he should be ready for training camp. He's got the size and experience to play in the middle.
ILB - Poz - He's a better fit in a 4-3, but I have no doubt he could make the switch. He's a gamer, and with those 3 big men in front of him... he'd be able to make some plays at the line.
OLB - Aaron Maybin - He looks like a bust so far, but we haven't seen much from him. The problem is, he doesn't have the size to play DE in a 4-3. He tried to beef up, but he didn't show the game changing speed that we expected. It's a work in progress, progress that has yet to be started... but if that front seven stayed healthy, I think it could work. Instead of drafting 4 DBs in the last 5 rounds, Buffalo will have to add some depth to the LB corps. But on paper, I think it can work. I didn't even mention FA additions. Anything is possible. There... have at it.
Since McCoy, Spikes and Weatherspoon were all snagged right in front of me... Cody seemed to fall into my lap. Spikes and Witherspoon aren't good bets to slip this far anyway.
GDF3
QB- Vick, Freeman, Hasselbeck, Yates
RB- Foster, McCoy, M Bush, Ben Tate, R Jennings, Alex Green
WR- Wallace, TBMW, Colston, Boldin, Collie, Amendola, Washington Roberts, Doss
TE- Gates, Cook, Carlson, Heap, Shiancoe
K- Cundiff, Novak
DL- Abraham, J Smith, James Hall, R Quinn, Keiser
LB- Poz, DJ Will, Vilma, Wake, Rivers, Mays, Irving
DB- Polamalu, Berry, Delmas, C Woodson, M Griffin, T Thomas, Byrd

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:08 am

Sorry for the delay guys. I wasn't feeling well last night and laid down for a minute. That minute turned into 12 hours pretty quickly :D I am up an feeling good now and really psyched to get Jared Odrick.

Are we nuts to be seeing Everson Griffin still on the board??????

blacksheep
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby blacksheep » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:15 am

hosler427 wrote:Sorry for the delay guys. I wasn't feeling well last night and laid down for a minute. That minute turned into 12 hours pretty quickly :D I am up an feeling good now and really psyched to get Jared Odrick.

shhhhhhhh.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:48 am

highballers wrote:
hosler427 wrote:Sorry for the delay guys. I wasn't feeling well last night and laid down for a minute. That minute turned into 12 hours pretty quickly :D I am up an feeling good now and really psyched to get Jared Odrick.

shhhhhhhh.
I passed him w/ the Colts last pick as a guy to back up Mathis and Freeney...didn't feel he's special enough in the pass-rushing department to pull the trigger.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

stevea
All Pro
All Pro

Postby stevea » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:52 am

hosler427 wrote:Hey guys...if we do another mock draft right after this do you want to bring it to 3 rounds? I am thinking that we can push it to 4-5 rounds for the final mock....

You know I'm in :)

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:57 am

dlf_stevea wrote:

I know you secretly want to make it 7 rounds :wink:

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:00 pm

hosler427 wrote:
dlf_stevea wrote:

I know you secretly want to make it 7 rounds :wink:

I agree, we should have everyone change teams for the next mock to add some variety, also maybe wait until after the combine or the start of free agency, as free agency could definitely change the draft outlook.
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince