Who should my new favorite team be?

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.

Pick my new team

KC Chiefs
17%
Pittsburgh Steelers
17%
Philly Eagles
17%
Other
48%

Total votes: 29

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Who should my new favorite team be?

Postby Phish Brigade » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:12 pm

I'm getting the process started now. If you want a diehard fan to cheer for your team, state your case. :lol:

Edit: Denver would have been an option had I made this decision 2 years ago, but the Broncos are out of the question with McDaniels around. :wink:
GDF3
QB- Vick, Freeman, Hasselbeck, Yates
RB- Foster, McCoy, M Bush, Ben Tate, R Jennings, Alex Green
WR- Wallace, TBMW, Colston, Boldin, Collie, Amendola, Washington Roberts, Doss
TE- Gates, Cook, Carlson, Heap, Shiancoe
K- Cundiff, Novak
DL- Abraham, J Smith, James Hall, R Quinn, Keiser
LB- Poz, DJ Will, Vilma, Wake, Rivers, Mays, Irving
DB- Polamalu, Berry, Delmas, C Woodson, M Griffin, T Thomas, Byrd

wizo1fan
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby wizo1fan » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:16 pm

I think it is a good time to start cheering for the Chiefs. They are bad right now but have some good young players and you can say you were a fan from the beginning of the current era. The two Philadelphia teams already have enough fans.
Dynasty League - 12th Year - 2007, 2010 & 2011 Champion

Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 D

QB - Carr, Mariota & Chad Kelly
RB - Cook, Mixon, Lamar Miller, Sony Michel, Marshawn Lynch, Doug Martin, Nyheim Hines
WR - Keenan Allen, Cooks, Sutton, Hogan, Shepard, Boyd, Lockett, Doctson, Wims
TE - Kittle, Jonnu Smith, Clay, Goedert

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Re: Who should my new favorite team be?

Postby Misfit74 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:23 pm

Phish Brigade wrote:I'm getting the process started now. If you want a diehard fan to cheer for your team, state your case. :lol:

Edit: Denver would have been an option had I made this decision 2 years ago, but the Broncos are out of the question with McDaniels around. :wink:
I believe in sticking by your home team through thick and thin. I've been a fan of my Seahawks since their first ever game in the NFL and still am. I've watched Seattle go through 2-14 seasons all the way to a Super Bowl appearance. I will always root for my Seattle Seahawks as I always have. I've lived in Washington State almost all my life so that's who I root for good or bad. I don't believe in bailing on your team.

I'll never be one of those guys that rooted for SF in the Montana years, NE in the Brady years, or PIT in their dominant years just so they could say they are a fan of a winning team or sport a freshly-bought ball cap of the most recent SB champion. Fair-weather fandom is something I despise. I believe you root for the team you grew up believing in. If I moved to New York or New Orleans or Indianapolis I would still root for my Seahawks.
Last edited by Misfit74 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:23 pm

Voting for the Browns. As I put in the other thread, they are the one team I think that has better fans than Buffalo.

That you were at one time even considering the Broncos, though, makes me wonder. As much as a rivalry that the Browns have with the Steelers over the years, I detest the Broncos more.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

hostile
Starter
Starter

Postby hostile » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:34 pm

LOL, Phish!

Yep... I'm pretty much in the same boat... cant get behind any of the teams you've listed though... I pretty much despise all of them for various reasons.

hostile
Starter
Starter

Postby hostile » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:39 pm

Misfit74 wrote:
Phish Brigade wrote:I'm getting the process started now. If you want a diehard fan to cheer for your team, state your case. :lol:

I believe in sticking by your home team through thick and thin. I've been a fan of my Seahawks since their first ever game in the NFL and still am. I've watched Seattle go through 2-14 seasons all the way to a Super Bowl appearance. I will always root for my Seattle Seahawks as I always have. I've lived in Washington State almost all my life so that's who I root for good or bad. I don't believe in bailing on your team.

I'll never be one of those guys that rooted for SF in the Montana years, NE in the Brady years, or PIT in their dominant years just so they could say they are a fan of a winning team or sport a freshly-bought ball cap of the most recent SB champion. Fair-weather fandom is something I despise. I believe you root for the team you grew up believing in. If I moved to New York or New Orleans or Indianapolis I would still root for my Seahawks.

I dont share this particular view.

I live in Vancouver (the real one ;)), and have never been able to get behind the Canucks. Perennial mis-management leads to a very mediocre product all the time. I'm not going to put my support/time/money into a product I dont believe in, or worse, one which disappoints on a regular basis.

I'm starting to understand how Detroit fans must feel...

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:39 pm

Of course you need to become a Vikings fan!!! All Day, no 4, Jared Allen... etc.. :D
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:22 pm

Misfit74 wrote:

So do I. Hopefully enduring FOUR straight Superbowl losses, the Music City Mirage, more than a decade of mediocrity and countless games lost in the 4th quarter confirms that I've been loyal.

Truth is, I've been a Bills fan for over 20 years. More than half my life. I live about 10-12 hours northeast of Boston, but in Canada. I never went to an American college and I've never lived in an American city. The main reason why I became a Bills fan was because of Thurman Thomas and Bruce Smith. If I lived in NY state, chances are I'd be a Giants fan. If I lived in Texas, I'd be a Cowboys fan.

At this point, I feel like I'm just getting a head start on cheering for a new team since my gut tells me the Bills' days in Buffalo are numbered anyway. I know I'm just getting carried away about the new team bit... but that's how I feel.

If you were a Raiders fan, and you jumped ship... wouldn't it be understandable?
GDF3
K- Cundiff, Novak

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:26 pm

wizo1fan wrote:I think it is a good time to start cheering for the Chiefs.
This is the most probable change for me. You'd think that a Bills fan who jumps ship who jump on to a more successful team. But since the only NFL jersey that I own that isn't a Bills one is actually a Priest Holmes jersey... it isn't a stretch.

I like Scott Pioli. And I like a few of their players... we'll see.
GDF3
K- Cundiff, Novak

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:31 pm

Phish Brigade wrote:If I lived in NY state, chances are I'd be a Giants fan.
No, you wouldn't. This is highly relative to where you live in New York. If you lived in the western half of the state (pretty much Syracuse and westward) you would be a Bills fan. Only "downstaters" are Giants or Jets fans. There are some that pop up here and there but no more so than fans of Dallas, Pittsburgh, etc. The Bills are a 24/7/365 topic in "upstate" New York. In my 30+ years there I wouldn't have been caught dead rooting for either team from the Big Apple.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:47 pm

skip wrote:
Phish Brigade wrote:If I lived in NY state, chances are I'd be a Giants fan.
No, you wouldn't. This is highly relative to where you live in New York. If you lived in the western half of the state (pretty much Syracuse and westward) you would be a Bills fan. Only "downstaters" are Giants or Jets fans. There are some that pop up here and there but no more so than fans of Dallas, Pittsburgh, etc. The Bills are a 24/7/365 topic in "upstate" New York. In my 30+ years there I wouldn't have been caught dead rooting for either team from the Big Apple.
You're right skip. Wrong choice of states. Let me replace NY state with... Louisiana. If I lived in Louisiana, I'd be a Saints fan. :lol:

Hmmmmm... maybe I should switch to the Saints. I do a pretty sweet "Cajun Man" impression and I'm very familiar with the "fleur de lis". Plus, the Saints aren't mediocre anymore. Yaaaaa... that's the ticket, I'm gonna be a Saints fan. :lol:
GDF3
K- Cundiff, Novak

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:07 pm

Phish Brigade wrote:
Misfit74 wrote:

So do I. Hopefully enduring FOUR straight Superbowl losses, the Music City Mirage, more than a decade of mediocrity and countless games lost in the 4th quarter confirms that I've been loyal.

Truth is, I've been a Bills fan for over 20 years. More than half my life. I live about 10-12 hours northeast of Boston, but in Canada. I never went to an American college and I've never lived in an American city. The main reason why I became a Bills fan was because of Thurman Thomas and Bruce Smith. If I lived in NY state, chances are I'd be a Giants fan. If I lived in Texas, I'd be a Cowboys fan.

At this point, I feel like I'm just getting a head start on cheering for a new team since my gut tells me the Bills' days in Buffalo are numbered anyway. I know I'm just getting carried away about the new team bit... but that's how I feel.

If you were a Raiders fan, and you jumped ship... wouldn't it be understandable?
a) I was rooting for Buffalo to win in all those Super Bowls. Seattle sucked at the time, so I silently pulled for Buffalo as I hated (and still hate) Dallas. I also really admired the offense of Buffalo at the time and Bruce Smith, Biscuit, etc on defense. I never bought anything or paid to see a game. If Buffalo played Seattle I'd want Seattle to crush them. I didn't change allegiances. I rooted for Seattle even when the only thing on the team worth rooting for was Cortez Kennedy but we had one of the worst offenses in the history of football.

b) The Raider question is a tough one only because they are the team Seattle fans such as myself hate more than any other team when both were members of the old AFC West. I don't think I can comprehend what it's like to be a Raiders fan.

I will say this: Seattle has been in worse shape in past years than the Raiders are now - at least close. Ken Behring, Kelly Stouffer, Jeff Kemp anyone? That owner was cheap, wanted to move the team, and hired the worst coach in Seahawks history (an ex-Raider wouldn't you know!) Tom Flores. Long story short if I grew up rooting for the Raiders, I would still root for the Raiders.

Side note: teams that relocate can be another story. Teams like Baltimore, Indy, etc have geographically changed which might affect one's fandom. The Seattle Supersonics were bought and moved to Oklahoma freaking City and renamed the 'Thunder'. Since I will not support Seattle basketball any longer after what they did to lose the Sonics, I disowned them like they disowned me as a fan. I now have begrudgingly adopted the Trailblazers. Even if the NBA puts a team back in Seattle they are dead to me.

So, there are exceptions. Just because you don't like what's happening at the time isn't reason to abandon your team. The NFL works often in cycles. Teams win for a period, lost key players or change ownership, and go through rebuilding.

I can tell you with certainty that if I were a Bills fan that I would still root just as hard for them as I do my Seahawks.

Unless my team picks up and leaves and otherwise screws me over that way, I'm sticking with my team. Things will turn around eventually. They usually do.

Finally if you live in a city w/out a team what do you do? Vancouver BC? Pick any team or the one closest to you? (that would be SEATTLE!!!) :)
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:21 pm

niners, or Singletary might beat you up.

hostile
Starter
Starter

Postby hostile » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:37 pm

Misfit74 wrote: Finally if you live in a city w/out a team what do you do? Vancouver BC? Pick any team or the one closest to you? (that would be SEATTLE!!!) :)
It would... and I've been to a few games.

Seattle is kind of on my "meh" list. I neither like them nor dislike them.

A couple of years ago, I was on the verge of gravitating towards them, but then they dealt away Hutch to Minny, and I thought they would start to crumble after that... one of the few times my Armchair GM'ing has been right...

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:49 pm

skip wrote:Voting for the Browns. As I put in the other thread, they are the one team I think that has better fans than Buffalo.

That you were at one time even considering the Broncos, though, makes me wonder. As much as a rivalry that the Browns have with the Steelers over the years, I detest the Broncos more.
You can't be serious Skip. Have you ever watch a Steeler away game? If so you probably couldn't tell that the Steelers were the away team as the stands are filled with black and gold with the terrible towels in full force. Also consider the fact that the Steelers are consistantly among the leaders in NFL merchandise sales. :wink: