Kevin Smith Season Over?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
grimace
All Pro
All Pro

Kevin Smith Season Over?

Postby grimace » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:28 pm

(Rotoworld) Kevin Smith was carted off with what appeared to be a serious left knee injury late in Sunday's game against the Ravens. Analysis: The Lions' lone effective offensive player on the day, Smith had rushed 21 times for 69 yards and added two receptions for 19 yards. The injury occurred without contact, as Smith's knee appeared to give out on the turf. Replays showed a gruesome injury, and his teammates were consoling him on the cart. His season is unquestionably over.

moneyballer
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Kevin Smith Season Over?

Postby moneyballer » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:47 pm

grimace wrote:(Rotoworld) Kevin Smith was carted off with what appeared to be a serious left knee injury late in Sunday's game against the Ravens. Analysis: The Lions' lone effective offensive player on the day, Smith had rushed 21 times for 69 yards and added two receptions for 19 yards. The injury occurred without contact, as Smith's knee appeared to give out on the turf. Replays showed a gruesome injury, and his teammates were consoling him on the cart. His season is unquestionably over.
Sure. Why not. Even though my season was already over, its frustrating to see all my players get serious injuries. Frank Gore (before I traded him), Ronnie Brown, Kevin Smith, Laurent Robinson, Ernie Sims, etc, etc. To be honest, it's starting to get me really frustrated with fantasy football and wonder if all this is worth the time when your stars keep getting carted off the field. Now I suppose I'll be lucky to have both Brown and Smith ready to play effectively next season. Wonderful.

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:03 pm

Its too bad to see that, hopefully he's back next year OK. I don't even think its even worth trying to sign the other Lions backs at this point, just leave them on the waiver wire 8-)
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

M357's
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby M357's » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:20 am

Ouch!! Hope he can be back healthy next yr!!!

grimace
All Pro
All Pro

Postby grimace » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:36 am

After reading this I'm not too hopeful for next year either:

(FFToolbox) Detroit Lions running back Kevin Smith gained 63 yards on his first 11 carries against the Baltimore Ravens. He ended the contest with 69 yards on 21 carries, but it ended prematurely for him due to a major knee injury. Smith suffered a left knee injury and was carted off the field in the fourth quarter today against the Ravens. Smith's left knee buckled as he tried to make a cut after catching a pass from quarterback Daunte Culpepper. He immediately fell to the turf. As he was carted off, he leaned back and put a hand to his face. A Monday MRI will determine the exact extent, but early indications point to Smith needing major surgery. Head coach Jim Schwartz said after the game that Smith likely has suffered a "significant" knee injury. If Smith is out for the rest of this season, he will end this year with 1,162 total yards and five touchdowns.

Analysis: This is really disappointing for Smith. He has probably suffered an ACL injury, which will sideline him for not only the rest of this season, but also for most, if not all of the 2010 season. Maurice Morris and Aaron Brown will carry the load in Smith's absence. Morris recorded three rushes for 11 yards on Sunday, while Brown had just one rush for 12 yards. Morris will get the majority of carries for the rest of the season, but he has a couple of difficult match-ups on the horizon -- versus Arizona and at San Francisco.

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:39 am

If this is a tear, it's bad news. Kevin Smith owners should try to sell Smith the moment it starts looking like he'll be "ready" for next year. If you find something that says that, sell it and sell him.

Smith isn't all that talented anyway. And, even if he's "ahead of schedule" going into next season, he won't be that effective yet.

And, by the time he would be able to start playing up to the level he was at prior to this injury, he'll be replaced as the starter. Or, at the very least, in a time share situation.

I've been saying "sell" Kevin Smith for a long time. Now, with this injury, it'll be tough to get anything close to the value he was at before. He wasn't a top 12 talent at RB but people were getting that for value with him. That time has now forever passed in my opinion.

It's too bad.
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

grimace
All Pro
All Pro

Postby grimace » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:41 am

This is killing me right now, I actually sent Ray Rice away for Smith during the summer, boy was that a BAD trade. Does Morris have any value this year?

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:53 am

grimace wrote:This is killing me right now, I actually sent Ray Rice away for Smith during the summer, boy was that a BAD trade. Does Morris have any value this year?
In a Word: NO
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:36 pm

The Lions confirmed Monday that Kevin Smith is lost for 2009 and will need reconstructive surgery on his injured left knee.

Coach Jim Schwartz admitted Smith tore "at least" one ligament, and surgeons will find out if there's further damage to the knee while performing the operation. The injury isn't known to be career threatening, but it's certainly dealt an uppercut to Smith's already declining value in dynasty leagues.
Rotoworld

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:12 pm

Steelersfan wrote:The Lions confirmed Monday that Kevin Smith is lost for 2009 and will need reconstructive surgery on his injured left knee.

Coach Jim Schwartz admitted Smith tore "at least" one ligament, and surgeons will find out if there's further damage to the knee while performing the operation. The injury isn't known to be career threatening, but it's certainly dealt an uppercut to Smith's already declining value in dynasty leagues.
Rotoworld
450 carries his senior season in college alone, I suspected he wouldn't last long but this has trumped even my fairly negative expectations for him.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

havoc
Rookie
Rookie

Postby havoc » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:16 pm

well, there goes my plan to deal frank gore for top QB and/or picks in 2010 and ride ray rice and kevin smith at RB.
You & Whose Army? 10 year, 12-team League.
2014: 6-7, 77-53 reg.season all-time. Playoffs in '06-'12 (4-6 record)

QB R.Tannehill, M.Sanchez, D.Carr (R), M.Flynn
RB J.Bell, D.Herron, K.Williams, B.Brown, L.Taliaferro (R), J.Randle
WR R.White, M.Wallace, C.Patterson, M.Wilson, M.Lee (R), J.Matthews (R), W.Welker, S.Bailey
TE J.Thomas, M.Bennet, M.Rivera
PK C.Catanzaro
D/ST Bills, Raiders

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:16 am

havoc wrote:well, there goes my plan to deal frank gore for top QB and/or picks in 2010 and ride ray rice and kevin smith at RB.

Well, at least its good to see another Radiohead fan here! "You and Whose Army?" :wink:

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Pilate » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:04 am

Cedric Peerman was just activated off the Lions practice squad. Maybe we will get a chance to see what he can do. I'm not holding my breath though...he has been waived twice this year already.

BubbaBurst
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby BubbaBurst » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:28 am

Pilate wrote:Cedric Peerman was just activated off the Lions practice squad. Maybe we will get a chance to see what he can do. I'm not holding my breath though...he has been waived twice this year already.
He could see some time as a third down back. He has great hands and caught a lot of balls out of the backfield at UVA.
DLF I Romo, Mathews, DMC, Murray, AJohnson, Welker, Wayne, Nelson, Finley
DLF II Peyton, McCoy, Ballard, DJackson, VJackson, DMoore, Welker, Gronk
DLF R Cam, AP, Foster, RWilliams, Nicks, SSmith, Floyd, Hill, Gresham, Keller
DLF U Eli, DMC, CJ2k, Sproles, Ballard, AJ Green, VJackson, Graham, Gresham

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:18 am

BubbaBurst wrote:
Pilate wrote:Cedric Peerman was just activated off the Lions practice squad. Maybe we will get a chance to see what he can do. I'm not holding my breath though...he has been waived twice this year already.
He could see some time as a third down back. He has great hands and caught a lot of balls out of the backfield at UVA.
he has great little hands! I heard that was a knock on him. NFL teams were worried about him having the fumbles. Maybe there is some validity to that, but then again AP is supposed to have the biggest storngest hands around and he's coughed up the rock alot this year.