"bum", "garbage", and "sucks"

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: "bum", "garbage", and "sucks"

Postby MARKinMI » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:52 pm

kwade7575 wrote:I have trouble understanding how professional athletes are referred to as bums or garbage by the average fan. I mean I certainly let it slip in frustration too, so I am just as bad as everyone else. It just seems to me that even Mark Sanchez at his lowest moment with his butt fumble is STILL a better football player in that moment than you or I could ever dream of being. The nature of fantasy football is to, of course, assess and analyze players but I think more appropriate words can be used in our analysis. Not trying to be preachy, as I do this too, I am just was curious if anyone else has any thoughts or notices the hypocrisy in brutal critiques of players.
i agree with you but he fumbled by hitting a butt... That's legendary

TommyL31
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TommyL31 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:52 am

SUGARRAYJOSE wrote: I totally disagree with people complaining about the term trade rape. A synonym for trade rape we also use is "you just got robbed." Just like someone said that it really isn't rape since you accepted the trade, you really didn't get robbed since you accepted the trade. Also, when we watch someone get trucked on Sundays sometimes we say "yo that guy just got murdered." We use all these terms but people are only complaining about rape smh. I think that we are all getting a little too sensitive. Obviously we don't mean that the other person is a rapist, or a thief, or a murderer.

If after every bad trade all we could say is "oh that was a bad trade" that would be pretty boring. Sports are all about hyperbole anyway. If you're a victim of a rape or theft (not a murder for obvious reasons) and you log into a (fantasy) sports forum then you should be prepared to hear a little "sailor talk." ... If I go into a barbershop I already know there will be people arguing about nonsense. If I don't like arguments because I was traumatized growing up when my parents argued all the time, then I shouldn't walk into a barbershop.
I think there is a HUGE difference between robbed or murdered and raped in this sense.

When someone says you got robbed they're being hyperbolic by implying that the other owner took something from you and gave nothing in return. Obviously you gave something in return but the hyperbole is that it, comparatively, wasn't worth much.

When you see a guy get hit hard and say he got "killed" or "murdered" it is, again an exaggeration of the level of an event. If someone was hit hard enough they could die but obviously that did not occur.

But rape is an act of sexual assault. How is that an exaggeration of a trade? Is there anything close to a sexual act in a trade? No, there's not.

I'm all for trash talk but see no reason to bring rape into it.
"whiners kill more leagues than incompetent trades" - clarion contrarion

DFFL - Flea Flickers, 12 team PPR dynasty
Legends of the Gridiron - Boss Hawgs, 12 team PPR Superflex Salary Cap league
USFL - Memphis Showboats, 12 team PPR Superflex Tiered Salary Cap League

TomBobAnderson
All Pro
All Pro

Postby TomBobAnderson » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:21 pm

TommyL31 wrote:
SUGARRAYJOSE wrote: I totally disagree with people complaining about the term trade rape. A synonym for trade rape we also use is "you just got robbed." Just like someone said that it really isn't rape since you accepted the trade, you really didn't get robbed since you accepted the trade. Also, when we watch someone get trucked on Sundays sometimes we say "yo that guy just got murdered." We use all these terms but people are only complaining about rape smh. I think that we are all getting a little too sensitive. Obviously we don't mean that the other person is a rapist, or a thief, or a murderer.

If after every bad trade all we could say is "oh that was a bad trade" that would be pretty boring. Sports are all about hyperbole anyway. If you're a victim of a rape or theft (not a murder for obvious reasons) and you log into a (fantasy) sports forum then you should be prepared to hear a little "sailor talk." ... If I go into a barbershop I already know there will be people arguing about nonsense. If I don't like arguments because I was traumatized growing up when my parents argued all the time, then I shouldn't walk into a barbershop.
I think there is a HUGE difference between robbed or murdered and raped in this sense.

When someone says you got robbed they're being hyperbolic by implying that the other owner took something from you and gave nothing in return. Obviously you gave something in return but the hyperbole is that it, comparatively, wasn't worth much.

When you see a guy get hit hard and say he got "killed" or "murdered" it is, again an exaggeration of the level of an event. If someone was hit hard enough they could die but obviously that did not occur.

But rape is an act of sexual assault. How is that an exaggeration of a trade? Is there anything close to a sexual act in a trade? No, there's not.

I'm all for trash talk but see no reason to bring rape into it.

Easy, when you get raped you get brutally assaulted. When we say you got "traped" it means your trade partner brutally assaulted you... Also I'm not sure but are you implying by your last sentence that a robbery or a murder is somehow better than a rape? IMO either we have to stop using all of them or we can all be adults and continue to trash talk/banter with each other. JMO though

MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MARKinMI » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:12 pm

To be honest i think politically correctness has gotten so smothering that much of it is people just feigning outrage. One thing to keep in mind however is that other people judge you by your posts and tweets. Every now and then we see reminders like Even Silva getting called out by a former player on twitter after he made a disparaging remark about them. I've gotten a few favorites from a few players' family after i made some positive tweets about them. Watch what you say because it just might get seen. All anyone has to do is search a players name and if you tweeted about him it shows up if your account is public.

My pet peeve is how grown "adults" talk to 17/18 year old kids who don't commit to their favorite college team. Its down right reprehensible in most cases.

StraightCashHomie
Starter
Starter

Postby StraightCashHomie » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:03 pm

Didn't read a lot of the thread, but totally agree with OP, it's ridiculous, and one of the reasons that I can't stand the UTH guys, because half of their podcasts are ripping on professional athletes and calling them scrubs and bums. Walterfootball is another one that is really bad for it, I used to read some of his stuff earlier in my fantasy football days, but he's childish.
Your 2013 Prediction Contest Champion

Barely active anymore... adulting is tough. Down to three dynasty leagues, one keeper, and two redrafts.

TommyL31
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TommyL31 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:56 am

StraightCashHomie wrote:Didn't read a lot of the thread, but totally agree with OP, it's ridiculous, and one of the reasons that I can't stand the UTH guys, because half of their podcasts are ripping on professional athletes and calling them scrubs and bums. Walterfootball is another one that is really bad for it, I used to read some of his stuff earlier in my fantasy football days, but he's childish.
Completely agree on UTH (haven't read Walterfootball much). The UTH guys spend 90% of their podcasts patting themselves on the back for having a 'method' and being smarter than everyone else. Anyone they don't like is garbage.
MARKinMI wrote:To be honest i think politically correctness has gotten so smothering that much of it is people just feigning outrage. One thing to keep in mind however is that other people judge you by your posts and tweets. Every now and then we see reminders like Even Silva getting called out by a former player on twitter after he made a disparaging remark about them. I've gotten a few favorites from a few players' family after i made some positive tweets about them. Watch what you say because it just might get seen. All anyone has to do is search a players name and if you tweeted about him it shows up if your account is public.

My pet peeve is how grown "adults" talk to 17/18 year old kids who don't commit to their favorite college team. Its down right reprehensible in most cases.
To be clear (at least about my position) I'm not outraged about any of this but I don't see any benefit to using the term 'trade rape' so I see no reason to use it.
"whiners kill more leagues than incompetent trades" - clarion contrarion

DFFL - Flea Flickers, 12 team PPR dynasty
Legends of the Gridiron - Boss Hawgs, 12 team PPR Superflex Salary Cap league
USFL - Memphis Showboats, 12 team PPR Superflex Tiered Salary Cap League

iCantStop
Starter
Starter

Postby iCantStop » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:00 am

Twitter's a great place to speak your mind and instantly regret it. You may not have bad intentions when you say certain things, but someone is bound to catch it and bring it back to you. I hate political correctness and I think it turns people against each other for silly reasons (People are often offended FOR people who have legitimate reason to be offended, not because they actually are), but there's a time and a place for everything. The internet is dangerous, folks.

TomBobAnderson
All Pro
All Pro

Postby TomBobAnderson » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:51 am

MARKinMI wrote:To be honest i think politically correctness has gotten so smothering that much of it is people just feigning outrage. One thing to keep in mind however is that other people judge you by your posts and tweets. Every now and then we see reminders like Even Silva getting called out by a former player on twitter after he made a disparaging remark about them. I've gotten a few favorites from a few players' family after i made some positive tweets about them. Watch what you say because it just might get seen. All anyone has to do is search a players name and if you tweeted about him it shows up if your account is public.

I agree. I follow recruiting but I don't let it affect my life. Sure that 5 star didn't choose my favorite team but what's the point in berating them on twitter over their life decisions? Lol. I just don't understand some people.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:55 am

I thought this was a thread about Cameron Erving and came in to express my agreement.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Sterling Archer
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Sterling Archer » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:47 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:42 pm If you're having trouble understanding these things then you don't understand context.
:clap:

James McGhee
Captain
Captain

Postby James McGhee » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:28 am

operwapitsai wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:31 pm
I can confidently say, DeAndre Hopkins is not a very good athlete. But now listen. The circumstances that I am saying that under, is only within the NFL level.

Hopkins is an ELITE athlete, when put up against the rest of the world. He is probably in the 99.8 percentile of athletic ability. However, within NFL standards he is average at best, most likely worse.

P.S. this is not a hit against Hopkins he is just an example....please spare me
Found this blurb from summer '14 amusing.
12 team league; 15 man roster; .5 pt PPR;
QB/RB/2 WR/TE/2 FLX/K/DEF

Tom Brady, Cam Newton
Mark Ingram, Kerryon Johnson, Rashaad Penny, Ronald Jones
AJ Green, Keenan Allen, Michael Thomas, Marvin Jones, Golden Tate, Keelan Cole
Rob Gronkowski
Will Lutz
Minnesota Defense

12 team league; 30-man roster; full PPR
QB/2 RB/2 WR/TE/3 FLX

Rodgers, Goff, Carr
Bell, J. Stewart, Foreman, Perine
Hopkins, K. Allen, Cooks, Hurns, Kupp, Lee, C. Samuel, Patterson, Taywan Taylor
Howard, Hooper, S. Anderson

Ryantacular
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Ryantacular » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:45 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:42 pm If you're having trouble understanding these things then you don't understand context.
Thank you.

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:31 am

Let's not get started with how easily people get offended nowadays and need a safe place to hide, even from words on the Internet. I only get mad at individual players if they cost me some serious coin while gambling. Then it is an all out onslaught of deragatory terms.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:27 pm

James McGhee wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:28 am
operwapitsai wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:31 pm
I can confidently say, DeAndre Hopkins is not a very good athlete. But now listen. The circumstances that I am saying that under, is only within the NFL level.

Hopkins is an ELITE athlete, when put up against the rest of the world. He is probably in the 99.8 percentile of athletic ability. However, within NFL standards he is average at best, most likely worse.

P.S. this is not a hit against Hopkins he is just an example....please spare me
Found this blurb from summer '14 amusing.
Well it's technically true. Hopkins is a below average athlete when compared with other stud WRs
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:40 pm

the_future wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:39 am
I play in a flag football league in which people state that I am the best player in that league and that I'm a superior athlete and can jump over everyone and catch anything.
Put me in the NFL, and I would clearly be garbage, a scrub and suck. I wouldn't last a day.

While all of my peers call me a fast and superior athlete with unfair jumping ability and fantastic hands and great route running ability, NFL scouts and fans would define me as a slow, short, sub par athlete with poor route running skills and one of the worst prospects they gave ever seen.

Everything in life is relative...
I would never, ever tell one of my friends this. It's my job, as their friend, to make them feel like dirt. It keeps them from getting a big head.
Plus, my friends are all bums, suck at almost everything, and are garbage relative to garbage.
Last edited by Valhalla on Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.