Way, way, waaaay too early 2023 Draft class thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Way, way, waaaay too early 2023 Draft class thread

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:42 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:06 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:19 pm Mayer is the #8 overall player on Kiper's board right now. No idea why people think his draft stock isn't going to be good. I think teams already know he isn't going to blaze the 40 and isn't a Kyle Pitts type of athlete.
Hock actually went 8 overall and wasn't a difference maker. A solid TE for FF, and one I'm glad to roster in heavy TE premium, but I just don't like drafting TE's early in rookie drafts. Not good process IMO. You can usually get a guy you like a year or two later than his initial rookie draft cost, because TE's don't typically show out early.
I agree with you that drafting TEs early isn't wise. I'm just speaking to Mayer's draft stock. All indications are he'll be a real first round pick. As far as how Mayer pans out in the NFL, I think he can be really good. He just doesn't have many holes in his game and you can't scheme him off the field.

I think Hockenson has been fine in the NFL, but obviously overdrafted because teams were riding the Kittle train hard, and you had these two from the same school who both looked like they had a little bit of that in them.

But I agree. With TEs, it's not about buying early; it's about buying at the right time. You can almost always get TEs for cheap right before they break out.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:13 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:19 pm Mayer is the #8 overall player on Kiper's board right now. No idea why people think his draft stock isn't going to be good. I think teams already know he isn't going to blaze the 40 and isn't a Kyle Pitts type of athlete.
As someone who took Ebron at #8 (or 9?) and thought I was getting a beast...I won't do it again.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:17 am

JoeJoe88 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:48 pm
jomaed wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:08 pm Mayer went from being graded as the #16 TE in the nation in 2021 to #1 in 2022. Put up near identical stats in 2022 as 2021 with more TDs. All his stats should have plummeted as the QB play at ND was awful, he was the only weapon catching the ball, and opposing teams focused on him because that's all they had to do. Maybe he "won" differently this year than last, but even with everything going against him all year he continued to produce and make big plays game after game.
Agreed, I don’t quite get the hate. Tell me more about how a 6’4” 265 pound TE doesn’t look like the most agile player on the field. You don’t say? Not everyone is built like Kyle Pitts. Kelce’s 40 time was nearly a 4.7 and he ended up being pretty good.

The guy just makes plays and is a smart football player.
Kelce ran a 4.61 at his Pro Day and it was adjusted up to a 4.66, which I guess is where the nearly 4.7 is coming from. The adjustment is just a rule of thumb based on averages because Pro Day times are generally inaccurate. Doesn’t mean that every individual Pro Day is off though and certainly not off by exactly 0.05. That said, 4.66 is still 81st percentile for a TE. Hockenson ran a 4.70 and that’s still 72nd percentile. If Mayer is actually slow, he’ll be running in the high 4.7s and then it might be worth worrying.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:18 am

I guess I should clarify my comments regarding Mayer.

I thought his '21 tape was very, very, very good. Jump off the screen, elite athleticism (for a guy his size) and a sure-fire top15 draft pick.

I thought his '22 tape was significantly worse from an athleticism and play-making perspective. The '22 tape still showed a very good TE, and one that would probably be a first round draft pick. But for all the hype about him being "baby Gronk" & a top10 draft pick, I just didn't really see it this season.

Like I said in my original assessment, I will rely heavily on his combine performance and NFL draft position - as that should provide more clarity on his athletic profile. I still have him in the 8 - 12 range on my early-off-season draft board.
10-team/.5 PPR Q RR WWW TE FF
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Coleman, AD Mitchell
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram

12-team PPR/SF/TEP (+1PPR) Q RR WW TE FFF SF
QB - J. Hurts / D. Prescott / J. Love / B. Nix
RB - J. Taylor / K. Walker / J. Mixon / J. Brooks / D. Singletary / J. McLaughlin
WR - B. Aiyuk / K. Allen / S. Diggs / R. Odunze / X. Worthy / T. Franklin / J. Palmer / G. Davis / R. Doubs
TE - M. Andrews / D. Kincaid

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:33 am

ericanadian wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:17 am
jomaed wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:08 pm Mayer went from being graded as the #16 TE in the nation in 2021 to #1 in 2022. Put up near identical stats in 2022 as 2021 with more TDs. All his stats should have plummeted as the QB play at ND was awful, he was the only weapon catching the ball, and opposing teams focused on him because that's all they had to do. Maybe he "won" differently this year than last, but even with everything going against him all year he continued to produce and make big plays game after game.
Agreed, I don’t quite get the hate. Tell me more about how a 6’4” 265 pound TE doesn’t look like the most agile player on the field. You don’t say? Not everyone is built like Kyle Pitts. Kelce’s 40 time was nearly a 4.7 and he ended up being pretty good.

Kelce ran a 4.61 at his Pro Day and it was adjusted up to a 4.66, which I guess is where the nearly 4.7 is coming from. The adjustment is just a rule of thumb based on averages because Pro Day times are generally inaccurate. Doesn’t mean that every individual Pro Day is off though and certainly not off by exactly 0.05. That said, 4.66 is still 81st percentile for a TE. Hockenson ran a 4.70 and that’s still 72nd percentile. If Mayer is actually slow, he’ll be running in the high 4.7s and then it might be worth worrying.
FWIW, Ertz ran 4.76 and turned out just fine. I don't think Mayer running in the 4.7s would be at all concerning. Speed isn't going to prevent his game from translating or potentially becoming an elite TE.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:59 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:33 am

FWIW, Ertz ran 4.76 and turned out just fine. I don't think Mayer running in the 4.7s would be at all concerning. Speed isn't going to prevent his game from translating or potentially becoming an elite TE.
Ertz ran a 4.67 Pro Day and has the second worst speed score of all TEs with multiple top five seasons over the last ten years. Kyle Rudolph is the only guy who was slower and man… I hope you’re aiming higher than Kyle Rudolph when drafting for an elite TE.

WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
K - Just a stupid kicker

JoeJoe88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby JoeJoe88 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:35 pm

ericanadian wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:59 am

Ertz ran a 4.67 Pro Day and has the second worst speed score of all TEs with multiple top five seasons over the last ten years. Kyle Rudolph is the only guy who was slower and man… I hope you’re aiming higher than Kyle Rudolph when drafting for an elite TE.
Ah, the old Pro Day numbers. I’m sure we can pump up a lot of guys times if we start using those.

You know, it’s funny. I don’t ever recall a players Pro Day 40 time being worse than their combine time. Wonder why that is?

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:54 pm

JoeJoe88 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:35 pm

Ah, the old Pro Day numbers. I’m sure we can pump up a lot of guys times if we start using those.

You know, it’s funny. I don’t ever recall a players Pro Day 40 time being worse than their combine time. Wonder why that is?
Hand times are faster. It's documented. PlayerProfiler has discussed it at length on their podcast. There's a ton of data they've collected and it's why they adjust the pro day times on their site.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:11 pm

The standard adjustment is 0.05, so if they adjusted Pro Day he would land at 4.72, which is not high 4.7s. My point is more that I’m not going to have full confidence in a guy who runs slower than the slowest elite TE of the last decade just because its possible.

K - Just a stupid kicker

JoeJoe88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby JoeJoe88 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:11 pm

ericanadian wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:11 pm

The standard adjustment is 0.05, so if they adjusted Pro Day he would land at 4.72, which is not high 4.7s. My point is more that I’m not going to have full confidence in a guy who runs slower than the slowest elite TE of the last decade just because its possible.
Personally, I’m not letting a slower than expected 40 time push me off a prospect that I like, least of all at the TE position. Noah Fant is a super athlete across the board in testing and he’s proved to be a slightly better than average TE at the next level. Goedert ran a 4.69.

40 time is a nice tool to have, but it’s far from an end-all to determining how good a players going to be in the league, and I think it’s even less important at TE.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:11 pm

I think there’s more to pro days being faster than just hand times. The players have more time to train for it. If they already attended the combine they can see where they went wrong and work on their 40 technique. Often they have also shed weight between the combine and pro day therefor allowing themselves to run faster and jump higher (see Allen robinson for example who shed over 10lbs and improved his numbers greatly). Not saying the hand time isn’t also a factor but it’s not the only factor. Also home field advantage, doing things on your own time and not having to do things when you aren’t ready like at the combine. I just think people have wrongly put the difference all on the timing method and don’t understand there are many different factors that go into better pro day testing. It doesn’t mean pro day times are phony. Those times can be just as “real” as combine times, the quintessential difference apart from the timing method is that combine times are all on an even playing field and pro day are not. So that’s why combine is so much more important.

dmac37
Role Player
Role Player

Postby dmac37 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:57 pm

Any of the college / draft guys have an opinion on the tier breaks for the 1st and 2nd round pre draft, 1Qb 1pt PPR.
12 Team PPR Scoring:
QB: Purdy, Pickett, Howell, Rodgers
RB: Bijan, Kamara, A. Jones Spears Allgeier, Tucker, Hunt
WR: ARSB, Ridley, Nacua, E. Moore, Hollywood, Addison, Mingo, Mooney,
M. Thomas, Gallup
TE: Hockenson, Ferguson
PK:
DST: Ravens

12 Team Superflex PPR Scoring:
QB: Fields, Tua, Howell, White
RB: J. Taylor, A. Jones, Pierce, Swift , K. Miller, Hunt, Ford,
WR: Pittman, Deebo, Godwin, Ridley, Gabe Davis, E. Moore, Mooney, Toney, Q. Johnson
TE: Ferguson, Okonkwo L. Thomas

smbkrypt24
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby smbkrypt24 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:27 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:11 pm I think there’s more to pro days being faster than just hand times. The players have more time to train for it. If they already attended the combine they can see where they went wrong and work on their 40 technique. Often they have also shed weight between the combine and pro day therefor allowing themselves to run faster and jump higher (see Allen robinson for example who shed over 10lbs and improved his numbers greatly). Not saying the hand time isn’t also a factor but it’s not the only factor. Also home field advantage, doing things on your own time and not having to do things when you aren’t ready like at the combine. I just think people have wrongly put the difference all on the timing method and don’t understand there are many different factors that go into better pro day testing. It doesn’t mean pro day times are phony. Those times can be just as “real” as combine times, the quintessential difference apart from the timing method is that combine times are all on an even playing field and pro day are not. So that’s why combine is so much more important.
Agree on a lot of this especially the part about doing things when you want to on Pro Day and not part of the group schedule. I have heard the schedule is quite intense for the combine and leads to some really bombing it.
12 Team PPR Dynasty. Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1 K, 1 D, 21 roster spots.

2013 Startup
Team 1- 3rd in 2023
QB: Herbert, B. Purdy
RB: Bijan, Barkley, Dobbins, Akers
WR: T. Hill, Kupp, KA, JSN, T. Boyd, Mingo, Thomas, Toney
TE: Kelce, Andrews, Likely, Dulcic

2024: 1.01
2025: 1, 2, 2, 2

2019 Startup
Team 2- 4th in 2023
QB: Murray, Cousins, Wilson
RB: Bijan, JT, Kamara, Dobbins, Rodriguez
WR: Chase, G. Wilson, Di. Johnson, M. Wilson, W. Robinson, R. Rice
TE: McBride, Pitts, Kmet, Likely

2025: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 3

2021 Startup
Team 3- 11th in 2023
QB: Burrow, Cousins, Watson, Levis, Rodgers, Young
RB: Gibbs, Pacheco, Dobbins
WR: Chase, J. Jefferson, JSN, Palmer, Mooney, Tillman
TE: Schultz, Pitts, Likely, Okonkwo

2024: 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, 1.04, 2.03, 3.03, 3.06, 3.08
2025: 1, 2, 3

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:49 pm

dmac37 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:57 pm Any of the college / draft guys have an opinion on the tier breaks for the 1st and 2nd round pre draft, 1Qb 1pt PPR.
Still early for me, but here are my tier breaks so far:

Bijan

Gibbs
JSN
Addison

Tucker
Bigsby
Johnston
Evans

Charbonnet
Corum
Mayer
Downs
Miller

Vaughn
Hyatt
Flowers
Achane
Brown
10-team/.5 PPR Q RR WWW TE FF
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Coleman, AD Mitchell
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram

12-team PPR/SF/TEP (+1PPR) Q RR WW TE FFF SF
QB - J. Hurts / D. Prescott / J. Love / B. Nix
RB - J. Taylor / K. Walker / J. Mixon / J. Brooks / D. Singletary / J. McLaughlin
WR - B. Aiyuk / K. Allen / S. Diggs / R. Odunze / X. Worthy / T. Franklin / J. Palmer / G. Davis / R. Doubs
TE - M. Andrews / D. Kincaid

smbkrypt24
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby smbkrypt24 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:03 pm

kmbryant09 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:49 pm
dmac37 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:57 pm Any of the college / draft guys have an opinion on the tier breaks for the 1st and 2nd round pre draft, 1Qb 1pt PPR.
Still early for me, but here are my tier breaks so far:

Bijan

Gibbs
JSN
Addison

Tucker
Bigsby
Johnston
Evans

Charbonnet
Corum
Mayer
Downs
Miller

Vaughn
Hyatt
Flowers
Achane
Brown
Thanks for this list. Do you really not have any QBs in the top 20?

I agree on tier one and two. Tier 3 I have Johnston at the top. Tier 4 Mayer and Downs at the top and would include Young and Stroud. Tier 5 is not in my scope yet, but probably includes Richardson.
12 Team PPR Dynasty. Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1 K, 1 D, 21 roster spots.

2013 Startup
Team 1- 3rd in 2023
QB: Herbert, B. Purdy
RB: Bijan, Barkley, Dobbins, Akers
WR: T. Hill, Kupp, KA, JSN, T. Boyd, Mingo, Thomas, Toney
TE: Kelce, Andrews, Likely, Dulcic

2025: 1, 2, 2, 2

2019 Startup
Team 2- 4th in 2023
QB: Murray, Cousins, Wilson
RB: Bijan, JT, Kamara, Dobbins, Rodriguez