Derrick Henry Thread - Is he still King Henry post injury?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Derrick Henry Possibly Out For The Year?

Postby MFundercover » Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:09 pm

As unique as Derrick Henry is, it was only a matter of time before something like this happened. There's just no way you can touch the ball over 400 times a year in the NFL and not get injured. I'm surprised hes lasted as long as he has.

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:38 am

If I saw myself as a contender for next year with a need at RB, I'd pay a late first for Henry. Or an early 2nd with a flex RB if the team that lost Henry is still pushing for the playoffs this year. I think this is also reflective of my current outlook on the 2022 draft (which I realize is super early and very speculative; but still I've yet to see more than 4-5 players I'd be excited to take with a 1st round pick next year).

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:10 am

He broke his foot. This isn't a muscle or tendon, it's a bone. They rode him hard and a bad thing happened. I do not think he is done in the slightest.
D3:
QB—Allen, JJM RB—Gibbs, Kamara, Jacobs, LLOYD, Zamir, Edwards, Ford, Warren, McLaughlin WR—MHJ, Lamb, Olave, DJM, Shaheed, RICE, VJefferson TE—Engram, Muth, Washington, Kraft, THEO PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, BENSON, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, POLK, CORLEY, COWING, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, TJOHNSON, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, RATTLER RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Mostert, BRob, ESTIME WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Lockett, Myers, COWING, MWASHINGTON TE—Kmet, Kraft, SANDERS, Conklin, Hurst PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: MAYE, Goff, Cousins, PENIX RB: Bijan, BRob, Zamir, Allgeier, McLaughlin, Hull WR: HARRISON, DJM, Higgins, JSN, BTHOMAS, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, COWING, Reynolds TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Hurst, WILEY, Trautman, Tremble, Dissly, Reiman

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:12 am

wickerkat1212 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:10 am He broke his foot. This isn't a muscle or tendon, it's a bone. They rode him hard and a bad thing happened. I do not think he is done in the slightest.
Yes, but. I would imagine those types of injuries will be more likely going forward. I think selling for a late first/early second is a mistake and don't agree with that, but his risk profile just skyrocketed for me.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:28 am

dynastyninja wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:12 am
wickerkat1212 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:10 am He broke his foot. This isn't a muscle or tendon, it's a bone. They rode him hard and a bad thing happened. I do not think he is done in the slightest.
Yes, but. I would imagine those types of injuries will be more likely going forward. I think selling for a late first/early second is a mistake and don't agree with that, but his risk profile just skyrocketed for me.
I am very interested why. He has always defied logic with useage and broken bones are the easist things to recover from. My opinion of him doesn't change at all, I am just bummed about my 1st place redraft team that just took a massive blow.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:53 am

murphysxm wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:28 am
I am very interested why. He has always defied logic with useage and broken bones are the easist things to recover from. My opinion of him doesn't change at all, I am just bummed about my 1st place redraft team that just took a massive blow.
I get what you mean, but he's still human. He might be able to fight off age more than most, but with the workload he gets I don't see how he holds it off for too much longer.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:34 am

murphysxm wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:28 am
THIS.
D3:
QB—Allen, JJM RB—Gibbs, Kamara, Jacobs, LLOYD, Zamir, Edwards, Ford, Warren, McLaughlin WR—MHJ, Lamb, Olave, DJM, Shaheed, RICE, VJefferson TE—Engram, Muth, Washington, Kraft, THEO PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, BENSON, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, POLK, CORLEY, COWING, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, TJOHNSON, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, RATTLER RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Mostert, BRob, ESTIME WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Lockett, Myers, COWING, MWASHINGTON TE—Kmet, Kraft, SANDERS, Conklin, Hurst PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: MAYE, Goff, Cousins, PENIX RB: Bijan, BRob, Zamir, Allgeier, McLaughlin, Hull WR: HARRISON, DJM, Higgins, JSN, BTHOMAS, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, COWING, Reynolds TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Hurst, WILEY, Trautman, Tremble, Dissly, Reiman

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:52 am

@murphy & wicker
Do you not consider Henry any more risky going into next year? Regardless of the type of injury, he will be on the back-end of 28 after years of significant workload. If Tennessee were to give him anything close to his standard workload, I'd bet chances are pretty high he gets injured again.

Can he be relevant and still an RB1? For sure. I think we may be looking at a CMC situation, though.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:01 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:52 am @murphy & wicker
Do you not consider Henry any more risky going into next year? Regardless of the type of injury, he will be on the back-end of 28 after years of significant workload. If Tennessee were to give him anything close to his standard workload, I'd bet chances are pretty high he gets injured again.

Can he be relevant and still an RB1? For sure. I think we may be looking at a CMC situation, though.
I have seen enough of Henry defying odds that I don't compare him to CMAC. One is 6'3" and 247, one is 5'11" and 205. Not that same dude.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:08 pm

murphysxm wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:01 pm

I have seen enough of Henry defying odds that I don't compare him to CMAC. One is 6'3" and 247, one is 5'11" and 205. Not that same dude.
Forget the CMC part of it, do you not think he's more risky?

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:10 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:08 pm
murphysxm wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:01 pm

Forget the CMC part of it, do you not think he's more risky?
No more than I thought he was coming into this year. He is just different

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:24 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:08 pm Forget the CMC part of it, do you not think he's more risky?
I'll bite, yes, he's more risky. But for me it just confirmed my priors, I've been on his workload since the offseason. I own no Henry anywhere.

We have more than enough data to suggest that the 400 touch count is usually a death knell for the following season. Especially when you then put that player on a pace for a 500 touch season.

We also have more than enough data to show that RB's past the age of 26/27 usually slow down and break down.

King Henry will continue to defy the odds whenever he's healthy and put up good output - but to me, we are now in the danger zone where things could start piling up on the injury front. He's a good contender piece, and that's why we have IR's - but I don't know if he'll ever handle another 400-500 touch season and be the same guy we know.

Happy to be quoted on this if he's right back to it next year, but the odds are definitely against it.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:27 pm

mild wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:24 pm
dynastyninja wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:08 pm Forget the CMC part of it, do you not think he's more risky?
I'll bite, yes, he's more risky. But for me it just confirmed my priors, I've been on his workload since the offseason. I own no Henry anywhere.

We have more than enough data to suggest that the 400 touch count is usually a death knell for the following season. Especially when you then put that player on a pace for a 500 touch season.

We also have more than enough data to show that RB's past the age of 26/27 usually slow down and break down.

King Henry will continue to defy the odds whenever he's healthy and put up good output - but to me, we are now in the danger zone where things could start piling up on the injury front. He's a good contender piece, and that's why we have IR's - but I don't know if he'll ever handle another 400-500 touch season and be the same guy we know.

Happy to be quoted on this if he's right back to it next year, but the odds are definitely against it.
Agreed

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:43 pm

A broken bone changes nothing for me. His age is going to be a concern, but most RBs don't even start to fall off a cliff until 30. (I think that's right, but if I'm wrong, and it's 27-28, so be it.) And I do think Henry is special. He's a beast. I will probably ride him into dust. So no, this doesn't change anything for me. Unless the broken bone can lead to a muscle or ligament injury, but I don't think that's the case. He was the #1 RB in the NFL when he got hurt, and the #9 player in the game, for my 1 ppr, 12-man league. He's elite.
D3:

D4:

Superflex 1:

Superflex 2:

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:52 pm

mild wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:24 pm

I'll bite back. While I agree there is a cliff to fall off I don't see any more risk with Henry over someone like a Cam Akers, ETN, or Dobbins at this point.