George Pickens, where did we go wrong?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: George Pickens, where did we go wrong?

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:50 am

Space Cowboy wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:13 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:20 am I think Watson looks fantastic as a ball carrier and in space, but his profile just seems....risky.

- 2-star recruit
- Redshirted as a freshman...in the FCS
- Didn't break out until he was a redshirt junior....in the FCS
- Still looks notably raw when you watch him
- Now, he's missed most of training camp as a rookie

It's not like he just dominated this subdivision out the gate. It took him 4 years to really get on the radar as a prospect.

The best things he has going for him are draft capital, Aaron Rodgers, and strong athletic traits. So, there's a path to succeed, but again, it just looks like a risky profile. I think I'd be willing to look past it if he was winning as a route runner or separating, but just looks more like an open field threat for now.
Watson owned the entire senior bowl week, that carries a lot of weight to me. Sometimes you need the right coaching or a bump in competition to raise your own game. The skillset is 100% there.
Didn't Mims do the same thing?

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:17 am

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:50 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:20 am I think Watson looks fantastic as a ball carrier and in space, but his profile just seems....risky.

- 2-star recruit

It's not like he just dominated this subdivision out the gate. It took him 4 years to really get on the radar as a prospect.

The best things he has going for him are draft capital, Aaron Rodgers, and strong athletic traits. So, there's a path to succeed, but again, it just looks like a risky profile. I think I'd be willing to look past it if he was winning as a route runner or separating, but just looks more like an open field threat for now.
Watson owned the entire senior bowl week, that carries a lot of weight to me. Sometimes you need the right coaching or a bump in competition to raise your own game. The skillset is 100% there.
Cooper Kupp did as well. I don't know if it really means anything beyond real football stakes.

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:02 am

- 2-star recruit

C'mon now, leave Mims out of this. Let us owners keep our blinders on and blame the Jets for his shortcomings for at least one more season.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:31 am

- 2-star recruit

I remember his big combine, his senior bowl I don't really remember.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:38 am

Space Cowboy wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:31 am

I remember avoiding him everywhere because he was pretty stiff and looked like a one trick pony. He is lazy comparison and nothing like Watson or Pickens on film. He could run fast in straight line but once he put on the pads his game speed didn't match up.

He was of those players I really wanted to like given his size and speed but alas glad I stayed away.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:08 pm

Ice wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:38 am
Space Cowboy wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:31 am

I remember avoiding him everywhere because he was pretty stiff and looked like a one trick pony. He is lazy comparison and nothing like Watson or Pickens on film. He could run fast in straight line but once he put on the pads his game speed didn't match up.

He was of those players I really wanted to like given his size and speed but alas glad I stayed away.
Yeah, he was screaming boom/bust with it looking 40/60, heck even kinda 30/70. Once the Jets picked him it was unofficial good night.

I was a drop surprised someone cut bait from him in a 16 x 53 league I'm in. We get $500 BB so I bid $51 and got him.

Rondalebaby
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Rondalebaby » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:55 pm

Ice wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:21 pm
Rondalebaby wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:41 pm
Ice wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:51 pm The Hype is getting out of control at this point. He may be great;

In 2019 he had 49 Receptions in 12 Games
In 2020 he had 36 Receptions In 8 Games
In 2021 he had 4 Receptions in 5 games

So yes a strong camp, a good catch in a preseason game and heck; He should be worth 2 high 2023 first rounders by mid week.
Looks like Christian Watsons stats lol
Actually Watson's stats based on opportunity look more like J. Chase's but Pickens looks good no doubt when one dives into his plays as well.

I find it funny how so many stat nerds will give a Pickens a pass but not Watson. Watson is a fare more electric player.

At some point fantasy football players will actually learn that it is all about quality but until then we will see plenty of ridiculous LOL type emojis. Maybe Pickens and Watson will finally educate the masses a bit that only look at gross stats.

FF players should also understand both the Steelers and Packers have very good WR scouts and excel at drafting players outside of round 1 yet they foolishly laugh at GB selections.

In the Rodgers era; Watson has draft capital in common with D. Adams, G. Jennings, R Cobb, and J Nelson in round 2. When they find those diamonds they are not afraid to pull the trigger.

Both should do very well in the NFL but Watson has far more elite traits. He is way faster, much better vertical and broad jump, a far better QB, and is on a better team with no legit WR1. The Packers haven't had a player this athletic in a long time and it is obvious he is full of desire. While his superior athleticism and unquestioned desire doesn't necessarily mean he will be better, it would be pretty stupid to bet against him at this point.

We know one team for sure who thinks Watson will be better.
They look like Chase if Chase was a 22 year old redshirt senior instead of 19 year old sophomore.

I find it funny how so many film nerds refuse to understand the analytics a “stat nerd” uses lol.

Pickens analytics are middling at best, he’s definitely more of a film pick than analytical love child outside his early breakout.

Eight7Seven
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Eight7Seven » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:10 am

I am pretty shocked at how much higher Pickens is being valued than back in June when I did my first draft. He's not on my radar at the 1.07. I'm pretty heavy on watching film and trusting my own analysis, so I tend take longer than normal to adjust to the changing winds of dynasty rookie value. I'll definitely acknowledge that there's a good chance that I'm missing out on an opportunity here.
Team One: Children of the Light
12 Team PPR- Superflex- Dynasty - Start 9

QB: Herbert, Watson, Young, Cousins
HB: Bijan, Etienne, J.Jacobs, Najee, D.Harris, J.Ford
WR: Olave, Smith-Njigba, Pittman, Jeudy, Jameson, A.Cooper, Cooks, P.Cambell, T.Marshall, Boutte (T.S.)
TE: Hockenson, Kmet, L.Schoonmaker, Likely (T.S.)
Picks: 2024 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd & 3rd

Team Two: One Nation
12 Team IDP- PPR- Superflex- Dynasy - 8 Offensive Starters- 1 DL, 1 EDR, 2 LB, 2 DB, 1DP (DL/LB/DB)

QB: Mahomes, Love, Lance, Purdy
HB: Chubb, Etienne, Akers, Dillion, J.Cook, P.Strong (T.S.), Z.White (T.S.)
WR: Waddle, Jameson, A.Cooper, “Bayou”.Michael.Thomas, Pickens, T.Marshall
TE: Waller, I.Smith.Jr, Otton (T.S.)
LB: D.Lloyd, Q.Walker, D.Long, J.Baker, J.Jewel
DB: J.Chinn, J.Pitre, J.Brisker
DL/ER: S.Hubbard, K.Mack, K.Paye
Picks: '23 1.05, 1.07, 1.12 & 3.07

stpilots98
Role Player
Role Player

Postby stpilots98 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:40 am

The thing that made me a Pickens believer is his compete level. Every time the ball is snapped he looks like he has a chip on his shoulder and wants to prove something. Dude is and wants to be an alpha dog and conducts himself as such. Reminds me of T.O. with the I’m going to dominate you when the ball is snapped. This is what is going to keep this guy on the field a lot.
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex

QB - Fields, Howell, Levis, Rodgers
RB - Montgomery, Dillon, Achane, Ford, Foreman Spears, De. Johnson, Ch. Brown
WR - Di Johnson, Olave, DJM, JSN, Addison, Dell, E. Moore, R. Moore, Pierce, Osborne, Atwell, Reynolds
TE - Kincaid, Hudson

1.01, 1.09, 1.10

1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 4 Flex, SF

QB - Hurts, Fields, Howell, Bridgewater, Wentz, Hoyer
RB - Barkley, Mixon, Dillon, Spears, Foreman, CEH, Murray, Strong
WR - Jefferson, Higgins, Allen, R. Moore, Palmer, MVS, Patrick, Reynolds, Woods, Osborne, Campbell, Raymond
TE - Musgrave, I. Smith, Henry, Washington

2nd

1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex, SF

QB - Carr, Garoppolo, Levis, Trubisky, Darnold, Trask, Wentz, Walker
RB - Robinson, Achane, R. Jones, CEH, Kelley, Mitchell, Mason
WR - Adams, Higgins, Wilson, DJM, Brown, Cooks, Boyd, MVS, R. Moore, Boutte
TE - Kinkaid, Knox, Conklin

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:21 am

stpilots98 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:40 am The thing that made me a Pickens believer is his compete level. Every time the ball is snapped he looks like he has a chip on his shoulder and wants to prove something. Dude is and wants to be an alpha dog and conducts himself as such. Reminds me of T.O. with the I’m going to dominate you when the ball is snapped. This is what is going to keep this guy on the field a lot.
I agree; His attitude does seem to jump off the screen. Time will tell if he sustains but so far he does look the part.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Eight7Seven
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Eight7Seven » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:55 am

Stuck to my board and took Jameson at 1.07, and then Pickens fell to me at 1.12!!!
Team One: Children of the Light
12 Team PPR- Superflex- Dynasty - Start 9

QB: Herbert, Watson, Young, Cousins
HB: Bijan, Etienne, J.Jacobs, Najee, D.Harris, J.Ford
WR: Olave, Smith-Njigba, Pittman, Jeudy, Jameson, A.Cooper, Cooks, P.Cambell, T.Marshall, Boutte (T.S.)
TE: Hockenson, Kmet, L.Schoonmaker, Likely (T.S.)
Picks: 2024 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd & 3rd

Team Two: One Nation
12 Team IDP- PPR- Superflex- Dynasy - 8 Offensive Starters- 1 DL, 1 EDR, 2 LB, 2 DB, 1DP (DL/LB/DB)

QB: Mahomes, Love, Lance, Purdy
HB: Chubb, Etienne, Akers, Dillion, J.Cook, P.Strong (T.S.), Z.White (T.S.)
WR: Waddle, Jameson, A.Cooper, “Bayou”.Michael.Thomas, Pickens, T.Marshall
TE: Waller, I.Smith.Jr, Otton (T.S.)
LB: D.Lloyd, Q.Walker, D.Long, J.Baker, J.Jewel
DB: J.Chinn, J.Pitre, J.Brisker
DL/ER: S.Hubbard, K.Mack, K.Paye
Picks: '23 1.05, 1.07, 1.12 & 3.07

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:29 am

Eight7Seven wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:55 am Stuck to my board and took Jameson at 1.07, and then Pickens fell to me at 1.12!!!
That's great value, and way to get both guys. I was in a similar spot at 1.07 with Jameson and Pickens available. I took Pickens and Jameson fell to 1.10. Felt I could have traded back and gotten him from 10-12 but I got my guy. All aboard!
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

stpilots98
Role Player
Role Player

Postby stpilots98 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:18 am

jcc6fd wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:29 am
Eight7Seven wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:55 am Stuck to my board and took Jameson at 1.07, and then Pickens fell to me at 1.12!!!
That's great value, and way to get both guys. I was in a similar spot at 1.07 with Jameson and Pickens available. I took Pickens and Jameson fell to 1.10. Felt I could have traded back and gotten him from 10-12 but I got my guy. All aboard!
Same here. Was trying to move up to 9 to grab him and he was still sitting there at 13 for me.
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex

QB - Fields, Howell, Levis, Rodgers
RB - Montgomery, Dillon, Achane, Ford, Foreman Spears, De. Johnson, Ch. Brown
WR - Di Johnson, Olave, DJM, JSN, Addison, Dell, E. Moore, R. Moore, Pierce, Osborne, Atwell, Reynolds
TE - Kincaid, Hudson

1.01, 1.09, 1.10

1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 4 Flex, SF

QB - Hurts, Fields, Howell, Bridgewater, Wentz, Hoyer
RB - Barkley, Mixon, Dillon, Spears, Foreman, CEH, Murray, Strong
WR - Jefferson, Higgins, Allen, R. Moore, Palmer, MVS, Patrick, Reynolds, Woods, Osborne, Campbell, Raymond
TE - Musgrave, I. Smith, Henry, Washington

2nd

1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex, SF

QB - Carr, Garoppolo, Levis, Trubisky, Darnold, Trask, Wentz, Walker
RB - Robinson, Achane, R. Jones, CEH, Kelley, Mitchell, Mason
WR - Adams, Higgins, Wilson, DJM, Brown, Cooks, Boyd, MVS, R. Moore, Boutte
TE - Kinkaid, Knox, Conklin

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:00 pm

I still think he's boom or bust in the Bryan Edwards/Terrace Marshall way (big bodied SEC WR with gaps in production) but right now I'm leaning boom. I think Claypool will be looking for a new team very soon

Wish I'd gotten more shares

gogobradyarm
All Pro
All Pro

Postby gogobradyarm » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:18 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:00 pm I still think he's boom or bust in the Bryan Edwards/Terrace Marshall way (big bodied SEC WR with gaps in production) but right now I'm leaning boom. I think Claypool will be looking for a new team very soon

Wish I'd gotten more shares
Here is the difference. Pickens by many scouts, was a first round talent, but had off-field concerns which made him fall. Edwards for some, was a first round talent as well, but he had so many injuries that he fell. I don't recall Marshall ever being called a first round talent, but Carolina sucked last year, so i'm going to give him a mulligan.

Not sure that is really all that useful analysis, but my perception.

I agree on Claypool finding a new home. I wish I could get Pickens, but the owner that has him won't budge. I offered a 23 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and got declined. Some owners smell thirst...
12 Team - PPR - 30man (2 IR) - 6pt PPTD- 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 Flex - 1 TE
QB: Jalen Hurts, Anthony Richardson, Aidan O'Connell
RB: McCaffrey, Barkley, Jacobs, Zamir White, Jaleel McLaughlin, Zach Evans
WR: AJB, Olave, Aiyuk, London, Nabers, Odunze, Diontae Johnson, Rashee Rice, Ja’lynn Polk, Dotson, Bateman
TE: Pitts, Likely, Mayer, Stover

2025: 2x 1st
Champ: 2020, 2021
Year 9 of my league